Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Roku Vudu App Interface Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just sent this email to Vudu support: Anyone else having this problem?

"Your Vudu app update on April 30th for Roku devices needs work. The updated Vudu app is unable to play my UHD movies without spooling every minute (I timed the issue). This is a new problem - I had no issues streaming my UHD movies using the previous Vudu app on Thursday (April 28th). My streaming setup has not changed in three days - same fiber optic Gig Internet connection, same Roku's (Ultra and the Express 4K+), same 4K TVs, I am the only user as I live alone. Furthermore, I was able to stream the same movie (Avengers: Age of Ultron) in UHD using the Movies Anywhere Roku app. So this seems to be a problem with your recent update to the Vudu app.

This is very frustrating as I own roughly 50 movies that are not supported (licensing issues) on Movies Anywhere. This is why I try to use Vudu exclusively. I am a longtime Vudu supporter, so I hope you are able to recreate and fix this problem."

Comment

This ROKU VUDU app update has debilitated me. I had no trouble with the prior app, but the current app is very slow to load and usually can’t load my TV episodes to play at all. It seems to require more memory than my Roku Stick + (3810X) (2019) can handle. I am forced to use phone mirroring and the VUDU app on my phone. As for the new interface, I don’t hate it, but I can see what people are saying that scrolling large content blocks can take a long time without multiple rows on the screen. Also, My Vudu playlists, which I normally use, seem the slowest and least reliable to load. I am going to look into buying a new ROKU device with the latest specs just for this app, but there will be casual users not so dedicated, and where does that put old Smart TV owners ?

Comment

Originally posted by EmilyApricot View Post
        ... and where does that put old Smart TV owners ?
        Possibly still happily tooling along ... assuming their Smart TV models are a little older and so didn't (and possibly won't) receive this app update. My old TiVo boxes still have the old interface.

And I feel your pain Re: all the app struggles. I've found plenty of glitches and areas of pain, but I've been using a Roku Ultra ... so I'm grateful we'd updated our Rokus a while back. (Though I think I'll pull a couple of our older units out of storage to see what the experience is like.)

Comment

I really hate this new update, the look of the app is not an improvement, I liked what we had before. Scrolling down episodes in the TV list is slow, before it was much easier, this is not an improvement. My biggest issue is that you can no longer press the back button on the Roku remote to remove the player controls when they appear on screen. Every single time you begin playback of a video, the first 5 seconds of the movie or TV episode is dimmed and is blocked by the overlay with info on the top and bottom of the screen. If you fast forward, rewind, resume from being paused or skip with the chapter menu same thing! You will ALWAYS have 5 seconds of the video blocked by the stupid player controls!

I always hated this before on the old app as well, I thought it was unnecessary to have the controls popping up all the time without the user specifically calling for them with a remote button press, but at least in the old app you could press the Back button quickly and get the controls off your video! But now that no longer works because if you press the Back button on the remote it simply backs out of the video and brings you to the menu! So you have to sit there and wait for the stupid controls to time out and disappear on their own! In my opinion this makes watching anything now unwatchable, because if portions of the video are dimmed with controls covering it then it ruins the presentation, I consider that spam by the app! I can't believe Vudu did this and thought it was a good idea!

Vudu needs to update the app to stop the overlay of information and player controls from popping up automatically. All I want to do is press play from the menu, or resume from being paused and see NOTHING on my screen except for the video itself! Change it so that if you press the Up or Down arrows on the Roku remote you can make the overlay appear and disappear at will. But we absolutely DO NOT need to see the controls popping up every time we start a video or resume playback! This totally SUCKS!!! No common sense at all by the app developers, it's like they are completely disconnected from reality because they don't understand how covering the video ruins the viewing experience!

Comment

Originally posted by Emissary35 View Post
            My biggest issue is that you can no longer press the back button on the Roku remote to remove the player controls when they appear on screen. Every single time you begin playback of a video, the first 5 seconds of the movie or TV episode is dimmed and is blocked by the overlay with info on the top and bottom of the screen.
            Change it so that if you press the Up or Down arrows on the Roku remote you can make the overlay appear and disappear at will. But we absolutely DO NOT need to see the controls popping up every time we start a video or resume playback! This totally SUCKS!!! No common sense at all by the app developers, it's like they are completely disconnected from reality because they don't understand how covering the video ruins the viewing experience!
            Wholly agree*. Designed from a content viewing perspective, the controls should never display by default unless absolutely required. (e.g. Not needed when playing from start, not needed if using the quick instant replay button, or even for pause.)

But even absent any other improvement, the ability to quickly clear the controls display using the 'Back' button needs to be restored.

---
            * edit: Wholly agree Re: this feature and restoring the 'Back' functionality, at a minimum. My biggest issue, though, remains the shackled scrolling mechanism. (I'd think they need to view the display approaches under Spotlight and My Vudu differently, at least for My Movies, TV Shows and Lists. We don't need so much info for each thumbnail displayed on the top-level browsing view. And hitting 'Play' within "My" content should play the selected content, rather than its trailer.)

Comment

count me in the minority, but i kind of love it. looks very modern and sleeker. that other UI hadn't changed since like 2010 at least.

Comment

Originally posted by boojitede View Post
                count me in the minority, but i kind of love it. looks very modern and sleeker. that other UI hadn't changed since like 2010 at least.
                So because something hasn't changed in a long time that's a good reason for forcing an update that almost everyone hates? Even though the previous version functioned just fine? You love it because you think it looks 'modern and sleek'? The functionality of it is horrible, I don't care what it looks like when it's slower to scroll, shows less titles on the screen at a time forcing more scrolling and videos are blocked with player controls. It sounds like you are judging a book by its cover before you even read it. It blows my mind that anyone actually likes this update once they start using it. The app needs to be reverted back to the previous version immediately.

Comment

I liked it at first but after using it more, I prefer the old interface

Comment

Originally posted by Capt-Cupcake View Post
                    I liked it at first but after using it more, I prefer the old interface
                    Now you see why it's such a big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by boojitede View Post
                      I'm sorry to say, but that means absolutely nothing if it lacks basic functionality and efficiency.

Comment

Originally posted by trd365 View Post

I'm sorry to say, but that means absolutely nothing if it lacks basic functionality and efficiency.
                        Exactly, I'd rather have an app more primitive in design if the functionality is what we want and there are no annoyances built in. The look is irrelevant as long as it's easy to scroll and find your content and playback without interruption. Unfortunately all these app designers care more about fancy bloated designs rather than providing a fast, easy uninterrupted user experience.

Comment

I just noticed yet another terrible thing in this 'New & Improved' updated Vudu app. Apparently now we can no longer find the trailers for TV show episodes when we go to them in the season lists! In the previous app when you went to a show you selected the season you wanted and then clicked on the episode you chose, which then brought you to a details page for that episode. On that details page there was a button to play the trailer as well as a button to play the episode. Well that no longer exists! Because on the new app there is no longer any sub menu for the episode itself! As a consequence to this there is now no longer a way to play the trailers anymore!

Now all we see is the entire season list of episodes with each one having a single button to start the episode! I did notice that any episode in the "Continue Watching" section does in fact have an option to bring you to a details page for the episode when you select it, and that details page does have the trailer button, but that is the only way you can access it.

So before on the previous Vudu app we could easily go up and down a season list and access the trailers if we wanted to, but now if we want to play any trailers for episodes we must first start playing the episode and let it run for a few seconds, just to get it to show up in the "Continue Watching" section! Then we must navigate out of the season list and go all the way back to the "Continue Watching" section, then click on the episode there and select the 'details' button and then we finally have the option to play the trailer there!

I'm sorry but this is absolutely ridiculous! Basically the trailers are now hidden/buried unless we jump through all of these unnecessary hoops in order to get episodes to appear in "Continue Watching" first! This completely defeats the entire purpose of watching trailers in the first place! The point of a trailer is to play it before you watch the actual episode, but now we have to first start the episodes before we can have access to the trailers! Tell me Fandango/Vudu, how is this an update or improvement at all! Also the details page has a way to read the full episode description, but now the episodes are limited to a descending season column, so if the text in the episode description is too much it gets cut off! Before we could easily access the full info for longer descriptions, now we can't because the column of episodes cuts it off! This is not an improvement at all, it's worse!

These changes are completely dumb! It's showing a regression in the usefulness of the app, not a progression into something better. The people at Fandango should be embarrassed and totally ashamed of their terrible new app update! The people making and implementing these changes are entirely clueless! This app update is terrible, it was not properly tested for feedback before being released and so far after all of these complaints, Fandango/Vudu seems to be doing nothing at all to roll the app back to the previous version.

It's crystal clear that they didn't know what they were doing when they designed this app and cut a lot of corners, no common sense was used at all and that is very telling of the mindset of the people in charge making these decisions!

Also support has not responded to my complaints ticket that I made four days ago, before the Vudu support staff always responded and usually between 24 and 48 hours of submitting a ticket. But with Fandango people in charge now they don't seem to respond at all. Not to mention that but my account page that previously listed all of my other complaints tickets from the past is completely gone! You could always go back and check them whether they were resolved or not, but now there is nothing! Another negative change!

It looks like the new management is ruining the service completely, I have little hope now of any of this getting resolved. Vudu had a great run but the new people in charge are undoing everything good about Vudu. So congratulations to the people at Fandango, you purchased Vudu and are well on your way to destroying what a great experience it was before you acquired it!

How about just rolling back to the previous version of the app and completely ditching this one! I've had enough! There was nothing wrong with the old app, it worked fine! If it's not broken don't fix it!

Comment

Clearly not designed for folks with large collections, and already dedicated to Vudu. This is for new users, or potential users who are already using Netflix. The only way to get corporate attention is to vote with your wallets. iTunes currently has a lot of the Star Trek Series (Next Generation, Original, Enterprise, Voyager) cheaper than I've seen them on Vudu. Maybe its time to start my transition. 60% of collection is MA at least. I hear 4K looks better on the Apple app on Roku anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by jkuhnen View Post
                              Clearly not designed for folks with large collections, and already dedicated to Vudu. This is for new users, or potential users who are already using Netflix. The only way to get corporate attention is to vote with your wallets. iTunes currently has a lot of the Star Trek Series (Next Generation, Original, Enterprise, Voyager) cheaper than I've seen them on Vudu. Maybe its time to start my transition. 60% of collection is MA at least. I hear 4K looks better on the Apple app on Roku anyway.
                              Yes I agree completely. About Star Trek though, it's not easy to get the original copies of the episodes anymore because of HD remasters taking over and supplanting them. Most places that stream "Star Trek: The Original Series" & "Star Trek: The Next Generation" choose to offer the remastered versions only, with new updated effects. While there is nothing wrong with that I think the originals should never be removed. There have been a couple services like Vudu and Amazon that do offer fans the original TOS episodes, but none seem to offer the original TNG episodes anymore, I think that's a travesty.

I think streaming services that have Star Trek should always give customers who subscribe monthly or who actually purchase the shows access to both versions of TOS and TNG so that fans can always watch the originals as they were produced by the people who actually made the show. Instead of discarding their work in favor of only a remastered team's version which is just a re-edit decades later. Fans should always be able to watch both original and remastered Star Trek.

There should also be an option to view TOS in the original production order, the way the episodes were released on DVD as double episode volumes before the season sets came out and they switched to air dates. The air date versions create a lot of continuity errors. So a way to toggle between production/air date on all services for TOS would be great so you can choose which way to watch.

Not even Paramount Plus that absorbed CBS All Access which owns Star Trek offers the original episodes of TOS or TNG and that is absolutely shameful, when they have the original copies just sitting in their vaults collecting dust!

Customers deserve to have more viewing options of how we can watch our favorite shows, not less because of narrow minded studios and apps only giving us what they decide we should have.

Comment

Movie trailers are still only in standard def also, not that it matters much since the first few seconds are covered up by the interface. When I first had access to Vudu I watched a lot of trailers, but they’re in HD on other services now. If I were a designer I would’ve done something about that before changing the interface.

Comment

Working...
                                X