Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Competition to Vudu offerings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Competition is good. I was able to rent Oceans 13 on TiVo HD for $1.99.

Originally posted by mag12203 View Post
    But not in HD correct?

Comment

Just curious, what was the lag time between rental and watching?

Is that the typical price for a Tivo HD rental, or is it being used as a loss leader?

Comment

Re: Competition to Vudu offerings

Originally posted by mbustin View Post
        But not in HD correct?
        Correct. Its just the price is right.

Comment

Re: Competition to Vudu offerings

Originally posted by Nded View Post
          Just curious, what was the lag time between rental and watching?

Is that the typical price for a Tivo HD rental, or is it being used as a loss leader?
          It was on their special along with Evan Almighty.

The lag time was about a week because I bought the TIVO HD last week and I saw the rental price was the same as Vudu.

The movie is being downloaded now so I don't know how long it takes to record.
          Last edited by Nded; 12-05-2007, 01:00 PM. Reason: title correction for forked thread

Comment

Re: Competition to Vudu Offerings

It was on their special along with Evan Almighty.

The lag time was about a week because I bought the TIVO HD last week and I saw the rental price was the same as Vudu.

The movie is being downloaded now so I don't know how long it takes to record.
            Please keep us posted on this.

1. I want to know how long the download takes
            2. I want to know what the viewing window is
            3. I want to know what the regular rental price is
            Last edited by Nded; 12-05-2007, 01:02 PM. Reason: title correction for forked thread

Comment

I want to know how long the download takes
              I believe that after their last SW update, you don't need to wait for the entire movie to be downloaded to being watching it. My guess is that it will work exactly like their multi-room sharing feature works. That is, you can start watching it immediately, but if you "catch up" to the end of the buffer, it pauses and gives you a message. You then have to push play to resume. That's just my guess based on what I have seen in the multi-room sharing feature. That wouldn't be a good way to watch a movie though.
              Last edited by Nded; 12-05-2007, 01:02 PM. Reason: title correction for forked thread

Comment

Originally posted by redwein View Post
                I believe that after their last SW update, you don't need to wait for the entire movie to be downloaded to being watching it. My guess is that it will work exactly like their multi-room sharing feature works. That is, you can start watching it immediately, but if you "catch up" to the end of the buffer, it pauses and gives you a message. You then have to push play to resume. That's just my guess based on what I have seen in the multi-room sharing feature. That wouldn't be a good way to watch a movie though.
                Those multi-room sharing problems never happen on my ReplayTVs...
                Last edited by Nded; 12-05-2007, 01:03 PM. Reason: title correction for forked thread

Comment

No one seemed to answer your questions (and prior ones of others) and since I have both TiVo HD and a VUDU, I am uniquely qualified (or so the voice in my head tells me):

TiVo HD/Unbox details:

Download lag is typically about 15 minutes (that is what Unbox tells you to expect, although I normally see downloads begin in about 3-5 minutes). You can watch instantly, but if your internet connection is slow, viewing could catch up with downloading and cause issues (I have never had any).

Download can take a while, although my experience with TV shows is about 1 minute per 1 minute of video. It is pretty fast - obviously dependent upon your internet connection.

TV Shows and movies to own stay in your account forever... they can be downloaded to your box, but take up hard drive space... you can delete them from the TiVo and re-download them again at a later time.

Movie rentals are available for 30 days post watching... then you have 24 hours from the start of watching to finish (just like VUDU). If you delete a movie you rented from your TiVo box before you start watching and before the 30 days, you are SOL... I learned the hard way that I could not re-download.

Typical rental pricing is $2.99 to $3.99 just like VUDU, but Amazon Unbox does do a weekend sale every week where it puts 4 or 5 movies out there for $1.99 rental... the movies change weekly, and are typically, but not always, newer releases.

Any other questions?

Please keep us posted on this.

1. I want to know how long the download takes
                  2. I want to know what the viewing window is
                  3. I want to know what the regular rental price is
                  Last edited by Nded; 12-05-2007, 01:03 PM. Reason: title correction for forked thread
                  - Scott

Comment

Originally posted by sgoldblatt View Post
                    TV Shows and movies to own stay in your account forever... they can be downloaded to your box, but take up hard drive space... you can delete them from the TiVo and re-download them again at a later time.
                    There are some restrictions to this where you won't be able to re-download a movie for an indeterminate period of time that appears to be at the discretion of the studios.

This is from the Amzaon Unbox FAQ:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...0111510&#space

Note the quote:

While our licensing agreements with some vendors may occasionally require that we restrict redownload of certain videos, your purchased videos will generally be available for download again at a future time from Your Media Library. More information on licensing and download restrictions is available in the Unbox Video: Terms of Use.
                    Last edited by Nded; 12-05-2007, 01:04 PM. Reason: title correction for forked thread

Comment

Originally posted by redwein View Post

Note the quote:

While our licensing agreements with some vendors may occasionally require that we restrict redownload of certain videos, your purchased videos will generally be available for download again at a future time from Your Media Library. More information on licensing and download restrictions is available in the Unbox Video: Terms of Use.
                      Thats the studio black out period. They do this with all VOD services when they have movies on rotation on channels on cable. Once its off rotation the movie usually comes back. My biggest gripe about this is that NetFlix and Blockbuster don't have to pull their DVD's when the studios enact this.
                      Last edited by Nded; 12-05-2007, 01:04 PM. Reason: title correction for forked thread

Comment

Originally posted by RonV View Post
                        Thats the studio black out period. They do this with all VOD services when they have movies on rotation on channels on cable. Once its off rotation the movie usually comes back. My biggest gripe about this is that NetFlix and Blockbuster don't have to pull their DVD's when the studios enact this.
                        RonV - that is a good point... seemingly the "physical" media industry (ie. Blockbuster, Netflix, etc.) is above these restriction periods because of the fact that they have actual "physical" media... is there a possibility that they have their own rules? or is it just too difficult for Netflix and Blockbuster to police having these titles "pulled" from their library during a blackout period, so they just leave everything?
                        Last edited by Nded; 12-05-2007, 01:05 PM. Reason: title correction for forked thread
                        - Scott

Comment

Originally posted by sgoldblatt View Post
                          RonV - that is a good point... seemingly the "physical" media industry (ie. Blockbuster, Netflix, etc.) is above these restriction periods because of the fact that they have actual "physical" media... is there a possibility that they have their own rules? or is it just too difficult for Netflix and Blockbuster to police having these titles "pulled" from their library during a blackout period, so they just leave everything?
                          That's exactly right, there are completely different "rules" for physical media than for electronic or televised distribution. If you think about it, Blockbuster OWNS the disks, so while the studios could try to exert pressure on them, they can't legally prevent them from using the discs lawfully, as there is no license required to use the original disc. However, electronic distribution or airing requires licensing the rights from the content owner, so it is completely at the content owner's discretion how and when to grant those distribution rights. But the logistics probably weigh into it as well...remember DIVX? Not DivX the codec, but DIVX, the distribution scheme where the discs would only play on approved players, and only for a limited amount of time. But physical media isn't well suited to that model, so it died a well-deserved death. But that was the studios' attempt to impose their licenses on physical media, and we know how well that went over.
                          Last edited by Nded; 12-05-2007, 01:05 PM. Reason: title correction for forked thread

Comment

Originally posted by MaxH View Post
                            If you think about it, Blockbuster OWNS the disks, so while the studios could try to exert pressure on them, they can't legally prevent them from using the discs lawfully, as there is no license required to use the original disc.
                            This isn't quite right. Blockbuster may own the disk but they are most certainly covered by a license that gives them the right to rent it to others and that license can have restrictions. Don't forget, the studios make money off of the rentals too. An individual, for instance, isn't allowed to start a business where they sell tickets to others to watch movies that they own personal copies of. Every time money is made off of a movie's rental or showing, the studios and the artists get their cut.
                            Last edited by Nded; 12-05-2007, 01:06 PM. Reason: title correction for forked thread

Comment

Working...
                            X