Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Apple - Charging Same $ for 4K as HD plus upgrading all HD movies to 4K for FREE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Apple - Charging Same $ for 4K as HD plus upgrading all HD movies to 4K for FREE!

Originally posted by mrewster View Post
    According to Speedtest.net, the average broadband speed in the U.S. is just under 55mbps (and that was last years study). Hell the average mobile speed is over 20. I check my speed regularly & it is always around 95mbps (Comcast). I'd say your 18mb puts you in the lower end minority.

As far as your resolution vs. display size comparison goes, 60" is just about the upper limit when it comes to 1080p content, but keep in mind Vudu's HDX is NOT a true 1080p representation of the source material. Compression methods & lowered bitrates contribute to a degraded image when compared to Blu-ray or even broadcast signal. If I sit 3 feet away from Vudu's stream on a 60" display, compression artifacts & a general mottled appearance are noticable. Also keep in mind that iTunes will support HDR10, which Vudu currently does not. HDR is where UHD really shows off.

I am in no way an Apple or iTunes fan, which was a major deciding factor to why I chose Vudu & UV over their proprietary platform. I am confident that Vudu MUST step up their game here, and if they don't it's possible with the advent of the upcoming Movies Anywhere system the migration to iTunes will be a detriment to their sales, and their future.

I have to say it's probably a good that installing Home Theaters is just a hobby for you, because if you showed up to install mine for pay and told me to "just sit farther away" I'd probably send you packing.
    LOL, I was looking at similar data... I was thinking that it really sucks that they can only get 18mbps as that is really low. Also, as stated, 4k is not a big deal to me as much as HDR... which just so happens to only be implemented on 4k/UHD and even VUDU promised to support HDR10 and hasn't yet. It's going to be a very critical rest of year for me if VUDU can step up on existing promises and then also match competition. Even Amazon has to have an answer to apple's free upgrades to UHD and dual HDR10/DV support

Comment

Re: Apple - Charging Same $ for 4K as HD plus upgrading all HD movies to 4K for FREE!

It only makes sense that if Apple is offering 4K for the same price as HD, then they will have no reason to carry HD films any more. Similarly, I can't see Vudu selling an inferior version of a movie for the same price as Apple. What will surely happen is that once the UHD becomes available, Vudu will stop carrying the HD version. Similarly, it won't make sense for Vudu or any other digitial provider to carry multiple encodes of films if no one is willing to buy them. Vudu's technology allows their streaming to adapt to their customers hardware. You could do this without providing additional encodes. Nevertheless, considering how many titles are still making their way to blu ray, it will be years before we amass a decent 4K library.

Comment

I had many similar thoughts yesterday.

UV seems to be dying with all the other services we've lost over the last couple years. It really was starting to make me worry UV and / or Vudu might be forced out over the next couple years.

Even though the whole family in running on an Apple ecosystem I went with Vudu / Roku for the HDX, 7.1, & 3D options Apple didn?t offer and eventually UHD. With 3D more less dead and Apple now offering UHD I?m seriously concern this could be the final nail in the UV coffin.

The problem with jumping ship is that I?ve got 2000+ movies with UV/Vudu and (currently) Apple isn?t offering an import/matching service for movies like they did with MP3 files to get every over to their music service.

For certain I won?t be buying UHD on Vudu if the prices don?t align. Likewise I don?t plan to ?jump ship? but I will likely replace the Roku?s with Apple TV?s now and just keep my collection across box Vudu and Apple, instead of just Vudu.

Comment

Originally posted by IPhoneUser View Post
          It only makes sense that if Apple is offering 4K for the same price as HD, then they will have no reason to carry HD films any more. Similarly, I can't see Vudu selling an inferior version of a movie for the same price as Apple. What will surely happen is that once the UHD becomes available, Vudu will stop carrying the HD version. Similarly, it won't make sense for Vudu or any other digitial provider to carry multiple encodes of films if no one is willing to buy them. Vudu's technology allows their streaming to adapt to their customers hardware. You could do this without providing additional encodes. Nevertheless, considering how many titles are still making their way to blu ray, it will be years before we amass a decent 4K library.
          If anything I would think SD would go away and HDX would stay for people with lower speed connections and digital downloads. SD is old enough that HDX could be the new SD.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremymc7 View Post
            If anything I would think SD would go away and HDX would stay for people with lower speed connections and digital downloads. SD is old enough that HDX could be the new SD.
            I say for simplicity just have 1 purchase tier and let the consumer's equipment stream what it can.

Comment

Originally posted by Cranston37 View Post
              I say for simplicity just have 1 purchase tier and let the consumer's equipment stream what it can.
              I would agree expect some consumer don't to pay (extra) for something they won't use. There's still a massive market for DVD only consumers.

Comment

Competition is a good thing. As long as Vudu actually competes! I also have a lot invested in Vudu, despite having all the Apple devices. I think Vudu will step up their game because they must.

I do wish for a Movies Anywhere type of system as long as it includes Vudu, iTunes, Disney, and Amazon. I'm afraid though that we would lose the ability to share our movies and disc to digital would probably cease. These are the two main features of UV that may be holding up an agreement between them. Okay, sorry, I have digressed from the thread topic.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremymc7 View Post
                  I had many similar thoughts yesterday.

UV seems to be dying with all the other services we've lost over the last couple years. It really was starting to make me worry UV and / or Vudu might be forced out over the next couple years.

Even though the whole family in running on an Apple ecosystem I went with Vudu / Roku for the HDX, 7.1, & 3D options Apple didn?t offer and eventually UHD. With 3D more less dead and Apple now offering UHD I?m seriously concern this could be the final nail in the UV coffin.

The problem with jumping ship is that I?ve got 2000+ movies with UV/Vudu and (currently) Apple isn?t offering an import/matching service for movies like they did with MP3 files to get every over to their music service.

For certain I won?t be buying UHD on Vudu if the prices don?t align. Likewise I don?t plan to ?jump ship? but I will likely replace the Roku?s with Apple TV?s now and just keep my collection across box Vudu and Apple, instead of just Vudu.
                  Hopefully if this happens, the studios will be forced to allow us to transfer our UV library to another system. I mean UV is backed by the studios (minus Disney of course), and if there are no providers left, it would look really bad on the Studios: They sold us a product that can't be used anywhere!

Personally I can't wait until there is only 1 system. This whole UV vs Keychest, where some movies work in Amazon/iTunes/DMA/VUDU and other movies work in UV/VUDU is kind of a headache.

Comment

Originally posted by CDBlue View Post
                    Hopefully if this happens, the studios will be forced to allow us to transfer our UV library to another system. I mean UV is backed by the studios (minus Disney of course), and if there are no providers left, it would look really bad on the Studios: They sold us a product that can't be used anywhere!

Personally I can't wait until there is only 1 system. This whole UV vs Keychest, where some movies work in Amazon/iTunes/DMA/VUDU and other movies work in UV/VUDU is kind of a headache.
                    Yes, I also prefer one system for all. Even if it means losing the ability to share movies, as much of a bummer as that would be. To me, one system is more important than everything else.

Comment

there are a few reasons i think why apple upgrade HD movies to 4k automatically. may not be accurate, but hear me out and see if it might make sense.

itune's looks more like a platform, hd movies mostly comes with itunes extra, however SD movies does not. with all the programming behind itunes extra and presentation of the movie menu, i think apple wants to have a consistent look and not having different versions in terms of HD and 4k. So when apple sell a movie, there are only two version (4k and sd) and this help them managing catalogs, orders and how softwares (on iphone, ipad, apple tv and itunes) handle all of them consistently so they don't have to do a lot more works. (vudu handles extra differently)
                      apple wants the users to have a good user experience (unified tv app), the one version for one movie really helps that. And their app only need to handles how it's streamed (resolution, buffer and etc).
                      apple might reluctantly refuse to change its whole platform to just add 4K title, so it made deals with studios to agree with them.
                      And this also a big news for them and they should have offer 4K long time ago and they can't wait any more.

Think about why we are on vudu in the first place for a lot of people, it's because UV codes from blu-ray and we accumulate a lot of UV titles. Then vudu have great pricing, good stream, different devices. but in terms of overall browsing and viewing experiences, I really prefer apple's itunes, but too bad, there aren't that many codes (ultimately good price) for movies on itunes. But if i would buy itunes movies if the price was right (like 10 movies from 90s or 80s hit for $15 or $20). And this upgrade to 4K thing, really help me to start to buy more on itunes.

VUDU is like a flea market (or walmart), you can get mostly everything, but studios are doing their own things, UV and non-UV, extra are handled differently. so i would really hope that vudu would offer similar offer for 4k titles, but i wouldn't get my helps up.

Comment

Originally posted by gong0704@hotmail.com View Post
                        there are a few reasons i think why apple upgrade HD movies to 4k automatically. may not be accurate, but hear me out and see if it might make sense.

itune's looks more like a platform, hd movies mostly comes with itunes extra, however SD movies does not. with all the programming behind itunes extra and presentation of the movie menu, i think apple wants to have a consistent look and not having different versions in terms of HD and 4k. So when apple sell a movie, there are only two version (4k and sd) and this help them managing catalogs, orders and how softwares (on iphone, ipad, apple tv and itunes) handle all of them consistently so they don't have to do a lot more works. (vudu handles extra differently)
                        apple wants the users to have a good user experience (unified tv app), the one version for one movie really helps that. And their app only need to handles how it's streamed (resolution, buffer and etc).
                        apple might reluctantly refuse to change its whole platform to just add 4K title, so it made deals with studios to agree with them.
                        And this also a big news for them and they should have offer 4K long time ago and they can't wait any more.

Think about why we are on vudu in the first place for a lot of people, it's because UV codes from blu-ray and we accumulate a lot of UV titles. Then vudu have great pricing, good stream, different devices. but in terms of overall browsing and viewing experiences, I really prefer apple's itunes, but too bad, there aren't that many codes (ultimately good price) for movies on itunes. But if i would buy itunes movies if the price was right (like 10 movies from 90s or 80s hit for $15 or $20). And this upgrade to 4K thing, really help me to start to buy more on itunes.

VUDU is like a flea market (or walmart), you can get mostly everything, but studios are doing their own things, UV and non-UV, extra are handled differently. so i would really hope that vudu would offer similar offer for 4k titles, but i wouldn't get my helps up.
                        I don't think so. I think the reason there is going to be such a huge price cut is because the majority of customers are not willing to pay 50% more for what they perceive as a minimal upgrade from HD to UHD. For customers with average equipment, the difference between HD and UHD is far less dramatic than SD to HD.

Don't forget it's the studios that pushed UV. I can't imagine a future system that does not incorporate UV.

Comment

I understand what you saying. Indeed, 4K is not asy sell if people owns HD. But if studios decide to let 4K to be monopoly, like what Disney is doing. Apple can't do this and they are not doing it for Disney movies. What is the reason behind the apple's move and what does it mean, it's interesting.

I don't think so. I think the reason there is going to be such a huge price cut is because the majority of customers are not willing to pay 50% more for what they perceive as a minimal upgrade from HD to UHD. For customers with average equipment, the difference between HD and UHD is far less dramatic than SD to HD.

Don't forget it's the studios that pushed UV. I can't imagine a future system that does not incorporate UV.

Comment

Why would Vudu have an answer? Wouldn't it be up to the studios? None of their non UV titles have 4K versions anyway.

Comment

I would love to see a discounted upgrade option for us here at Vudu. I would upgrade all my titles that have UHD now if we were offered discounts for upgrading. As it stands, I still just buy HDX.

Comment

Why would Vudu have an answer? Wouldn't it be up to the studios? None of their non UV titles have 4K versions anyway.
                                I wrote UV and they said it was up to the media provider who you purchased the content through.

Comment

Working...
                                X