Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Is Ultraviolet dead? Anyone else considering jumping ship (to Apple/Google/Amazon)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Ultraviolet dead? Anyone else considering jumping ship (to Apple/Google/Amazon)?

Who I am - Longtime Vudu and UVVU user here. I own 600+ titles and have spent thousands and thousands of dollars with Vudu building my collection. So I'm a truly dedicated user and fan.

Why I'm concerned about UVVU - I can't help but feel like I'm investing in a sinking ship. I went with Vudu primarily because it supported UVVU and DMA, and I wanted the assurance that my movie collection was safe even if my provider (Vudu) went under. UVVU is all but dead now--it seems to have completely failed in its effort to create a single digital locker across platforms. More and more UVVU providers are backing out all the time, the studios are disassociating themselves with it, and it increasingly seems likely that Vudu will be the only U.S. UVVU provider before long.

Why I'm concerned about Vudu - Apart from the UVVU issue, I also feel like Vudu just hasn't really advanced at all in the past several years. I tried encouraging Vudu to make changes, making my "top 10 list" of requests 2 1/2 years ago, but they haven't made a single one of them and as far as I can tell haven't made any other significant improvements to their product in years. There are many more features that could be added to the list now (lack of actual HDR10 support, lack of HDX->UHD upgrades, overpriced UHD movies, etc.). There are countless other feature requests that we've all seen 1,000 times on here that Vudu just completely ignores. From my perspective, they aren't doing anything to show they care for their customers and they're making basically no product/tech investment, all while being passed up by competitors.

The Competition - With my main reason for having selected Vudu (UVVU compatibility) being rendered mostly worthless, I now look at the competition and wonder if it's time to jump ship. Apple is now offering UHD movies for 33% less than Vudu, AND they're upgrading all movies for free. Apple, Amazon, and Google also all have better interfaces than Vudu and are easier and friendlier to use. At this point, I have few if any concerns about Apple/Amazon/Google sticking around...in fact, I'd feel a lot more secure about the future with any of them than I do with Vudu/UVVU.

The Decision - For the above reasons, I think if I was starting my collection from scratch today, I would almost certainly go with Apple, Google, or Amazon. Only thing keeping me here now is the fact that my collection already exists here and can't be transferred. Still, I'm tempted to just jump ship and start over with a new provider that has more longevity, better technology, and listens to its customers more.

Thoughts? Anyone else have similar doubts/questions/concerns? Am I missing something?

Re: Is Ultraviolet dead? Anyone else considering jumping ship (to Apple/Google/Amazo

Same here. If they do not at least match what apple is doing I will leave and slowy rebuild my library with apple. Spiderman is my last purchase here. If I do not see something announced in the next month I am just going to start buying with apple.

Comment

Re: Is Ultraviolet dead? Anyone else considering jumping ship (to Apple/Google/Amazo

I would personally wait to see what, if anything, happens with this rumored Movies Anywhere system. Possibly the replacement for UV? Who knows. UV was great in theory, but it really has turned into the Vudu show only.

I agree that Vudu has been really slow to update. HDR10 is LOOOOONG overdue, but I'm optimistic it's coming, since Vudu said they are working on it.

And Vudu just lowered pricing for all these (below) UHDs movies. Here's hoping there are more to come (although I'm not so sure they will ever offer free upgrades).

$14.99 The Accountant (2016)
      $14.99 American Sniper (2014)
      $14.99 Annabelle (2014)
      $14.99 Argo (2012)
      $19.99 Baby Driver (2017)
      $14.99 Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (Extended Cut) (2016)
      $14.99 Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)
      $14.99 Central Intelligence (2016)
      $14.99 Central Intelligence (Unrated) (2016)
      $14.99 Collateral Beauty (2016)
      $14.99 The Conjuring (2013)
      $9.99 DCU: Batman and Harley Quinn (2017)
      $14.99 Entourage (2015)
      $19.99 Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (2016)
      $14.99 The Gallows (2015)
      $14.99 Get Hard (2015)
      $14.99 Goodfellas (1990)
      $14.99 The Great Gatsby (2013)
      $17.99 The Hangover Part 2 (2011)
      $14.99 The Hangover (2009)
      $14.99 How to Be Single (2016)
      $14.99 I Am Legend (2007)
      $14.99 In the Heart of the Sea (2015)
      $14.99 The Intern (2015)
      $14.99 Into the Storm (2014)
      $14.99 Jupiter Ascending (2015)
      $14.99 Keanu (2016)
      $14.99 The Legend of Tarzan (2016)
      $12.99 The LEGO Batman Movie (2017)
      $9.99 The LEGO Movie (2014)
      $14.99 Lights Out (2016)
      $17.99 Live by Night (2017)
      $14.99 Live Die Repeat: Edge of Tomorrow (2014)
      $14.99 Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)
      $14.99 Magic Mike XXL (2015)
      $14.99 The Man From U.N.C.L.E. (2015)
      $14.99 Man of Steel (2013)
      $14.99 The Nice Guys (2016)
      $19.99 Office Christmas Party (2016) (UHD is NOT UV)
      $14.99 Our Brand Is Crisis (2015)
      $14.99 Pacific Rim (2013)
      $14.99 Pan (2015)
      $14.99 Point Break (2015)
      $14.99 Run All Night (2015)
      $14.99 San Andreas (2015)
      $14.99 Sherlock Holmes (2009)
      $17.99 Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows (2011)
      $14.99 Storks (2016)
      $14.99 Suicide Squad (2016)
      $19.99 Sully (2016)
      $14.99 The Town (2010)
      $14.99 Vacation (2015)
      $14.99 War Dogs (2016)
      $14.99 We Are Your Friends (2015)
      $19.99 Wonder Woman (2017)

Comment

Originally posted by oscarsonthepond View Post
        Who I am - Longtime Vudu and UVVU user here. I own 600+ titles and have spent thousands and thousands of dollars with Vudu building my collection. So I'm a truly dedicated user and fan.

Why I'm concerned about UVVU - I can't help but feel like I'm investing in a sinking ship. I went with Vudu primarily because it supported UVVU and DMA, and I wanted the assurance that my movie collection was safe even if my provider (Vudu) went under. UVVU is all but dead now--it seems to have completely failed in its effort to create a single digital locker across platforms. More and more UVVU providers are backing out all the time, the studios are disassociating themselves with it, and it increasingly seems likely that Vudu will be the only U.S. UVVU provider before long.

Why I'm concerned about Vudu - Apart from the UVVU issue, I also feel like Vudu just hasn't really advanced at all in the past several years. I tried encouraging Vudu to make changes, making my "top 10 list" of requests 2 1/2 years ago, but they haven't made a single one of them and as far as I can tell haven't made any other significant improvements to their product in years. There are many more features that could be added to the list now (lack of actual HDR10 support, lack of HDX->UHD upgrades, overpriced UHD movies, etc.). There are countless other feature requests that we've all seen 1,000 times on here that Vudu just completely ignores. From my perspective, they aren't doing anything to show they care for their customers and they're making basically no product/tech investment, all while being passed up by competitors.

The Competition - With my main reason for having selected Vudu (UVVU compatibility) being rendered mostly worthless, I now look at the competition and wonder if it's time to jump ship. Apple is now offering UHD movies for 33% less than Vudu, AND they're upgrading all movies for free. Apple, Amazon, and Google also all have better interfaces than Vudu and are easier and friendlier to use. At this point, I have few if any concerns about Apple/Amazon/Google sticking around...in fact, I'd feel a lot more secure about the future with any of them than I do with Vudu/UVVU.

The Decision - For the above reasons, I think if I was starting my collection from scratch today, I would almost certainly go with Apple, Google, or Amazon. Only thing keeping me here now is the fact that my collection already exists here and can't be transferred. Still, I'm tempted to just jump ship and start over with a new provider that has more longevity, better technology, and listens to its customers more.

Thoughts? Anyone else have similar doubts/questions/concerns? Am I missing something?
        I would never buy a digital movie ever again from any service if anything were to happen to my collection.

Comment

Originally posted by oscarsonthepond View Post

Vudu=Walmart Nearly as big a company as amazon apple and google i think we are safe

Comment

Originally posted by netnothing View Post
            I would personally wait to see what, if anything, happens with this rumored Movies Anywhere system. Possibly the replacement for UV? Who knows. UV was great in theory, but it really has turned into the Vudu show only.

I agree that Vudu has been really slow to update. HDR10 is LOOOOONG overdue, but I'm optimistic it's coming, since Vudu said they are working on it.

And Vudu just lowered pricing for all these (below) UHDs movies. Here's hoping there are more to come (although I'm not so sure they will ever offer free upgrades).

$14.99 The Accountant (2016)
            $14.99 American Sniper (2014)
            $14.99 Annabelle (2014)
            $14.99 Argo (2012)
            $19.99 Baby Driver (2017)
            $14.99 Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (Extended Cut) (2016)
            $14.99 Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)
            $14.99 Central Intelligence (2016)
            $14.99 Central Intelligence (Unrated) (2016)
            $14.99 Collateral Beauty (2016)
            $14.99 The Conjuring (2013)
            $9.99 DCU: Batman and Harley Quinn (2017)
            $14.99 Entourage (2015)
            $19.99 Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (2016)
            $14.99 The Gallows (2015)
            $14.99 Get Hard (2015)
            $14.99 Goodfellas (1990)
            $14.99 The Great Gatsby (2013)
            $17.99 The Hangover Part 2 (2011)
            $14.99 The Hangover (2009)
            $14.99 How to Be Single (2016)
            $14.99 I Am Legend (2007)
            $14.99 In the Heart of the Sea (2015)
            $14.99 The Intern (2015)
            $14.99 Into the Storm (2014)
            $14.99 Jupiter Ascending (2015)
            $14.99 Keanu (2016)
            $14.99 The Legend of Tarzan (2016)
            $12.99 The LEGO Batman Movie (2017)
            $9.99 The LEGO Movie (2014)
            $14.99 Lights Out (2016)
            $17.99 Live by Night (2017)
            $14.99 Live Die Repeat: Edge of Tomorrow (2014)
            $14.99 Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)
            $14.99 Magic Mike XXL (2015)
            $14.99 The Man From U.N.C.L.E. (2015)
            $14.99 Man of Steel (2013)
            $14.99 The Nice Guys (2016)
            $19.99 Office Christmas Party (2016) (UHD is NOT UV)
            $14.99 Our Brand Is Crisis (2015)
            $14.99 Pacific Rim (2013)
            $14.99 Pan (2015)
            $14.99 Point Break (2015)
            $14.99 Run All Night (2015)
            $14.99 San Andreas (2015)
            $14.99 Sherlock Holmes (2009)
            $17.99 Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows (2011)
            $14.99 Storks (2016)
            $14.99 Suicide Squad (2016)
            $19.99 Sully (2016)
            $14.99 The Town (2010)
            $14.99 Vacation (2015)
            $14.99 War Dogs (2016)
            $14.99 We Are Your Friends (2015)
            $19.99 Wonder Woman (2017)

Thats great they lowered those prices but If I had those titles on Apple purchased already they would have been free to upgrade. Good prices to buy if you do not own so thats a start. If they upgrade titles you own already for free like apple that would be the best.

Comment

Originally posted by shmacckk View Post
              Thats great they lowered those prices but If I had those titles on Apple purchased already they would have been free to upgrade. Good prices to buy if you do not own so thats a start. If they upgrade titles you own already for free like apple that would be the best.
              Completely agree. I dont want to pay 14.99 to get the UHD version. With Apple, my HD purchases are 4k enabled for free. This is make it or break it for me.

Comment

Originally posted by shmacckk View Post
                Yeah I would love free upgrades as well. Apple did it right - you buy HD you get best available. Everyone else should follow. But it was easy for them - they have huge industry pull (to bully studios) and they were last to do anything.

Comment

Is Amazon offering free upgrades? If not, I still don't see how Vudu is behind the curve. With Vudu's pricing on UHD, it seems like that's the industry trend we're heading toward.

Comment

Originally posted by IPhoneUser View Post
                    Is Amazon offering free upgrades? If not, I still don't see how Vudu is behind the curve. With Vudu's pricing on UHD, it seems like that's the industry trend we're heading toward.
                    I just checked several Amazon UHD titles and they're still at the original high prices. Vudu has lowered the UHD prices but I don't see that Amazon has done the same.

69 UHD
                    798 HDX
                    2 SD

Comment

Originally posted by lujan View Post
                      I just checked several Amazon UHD titles and they're still at the original high prices. Vudu has lowered the UHD prices but I don't see that Amazon has done the same.
                      https://www.theverge.com/tech/2017/9...e-tv-4k-launch

Comment

I have similar reasons why I choose Vudu over others. I am also feeling some anxiety over continued use of Vudu over others. Hopefully they have people paying attention and doing something about it soon.

Comment

UltraViolet isn't quite dead yet, but it is stagnant, as a digital locker. Studios have dropped support. Retailers are dying. It's not expanding overseas, as was promised. Planned features, such as the Common File Format, never materialized. I had such high hopes for UV for the first few years. Amazon was supposed to support it. MGM was rumored to support it as well. Disc to Digital was supposed to built in to blu-ray players. The people involved in creating UV said that UV services would become region free, and that fee based upgrades to HD and UHD would be offered. None of this happened. I did manage to build up a large collection, but I don't feel like it's future proof. That was supposed to be the point. It was supposed to be as close to ownership as digital could be. A standard, like DVD. "Buy once, play anywhere" they said. If it was ownership, then you could transfer it to someone else. I once thought that would be offered eventually.

If Vudu wants to be competitive, they will offer upgrades, for a small fee, or even free upgrades. The people who created UV marketed UV as a service that would make re-buying movies obsolete. I'm not doing it for movies I own digitally. I've already spent thousands. I'm not doing that again.

Comment

I think many are over thinking this. Vudu could be successful even without UV support. Both Apple and Amazon are not tied to UV and are doing very well.

Vudu has Walmart money to back them up so I don't see them going anywhere. It make a little bit of time but expect them to compete with Apple's recent announcements and also try to go a step further. That is how competition works.

Also, I hope Disney's DMA indeed transforms into the replacement to UV. I personally think that Disney could provide great things for us digital movie collectors. It would also allow us to finally not have to chose a particular provider to stash of our content and will be more of an open digital ecosystem.

Really hope these studios smarten up to hop on board and think about us for once and not just squeezing every dollar out of us.

Comment

All this talk is scaring me. I also have invested thousands of dollars in Vudu movies. It would be nice for a Vudu rep, someone high up in management chain, to reassure us that Vudu is alive and doing well. And that UV is alive and well.

Most likely Vudu is doing fine, but the future of UV is in doubt.

Will we EVER have one system that works across all retailers?!

Comment

Working...
                              X