Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Open Letter To Vudu Management

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Open Letter To Vudu Management

At least with the external storage option, the external drives won't need to be right next to the main VUDU box. You should easily be able to put the external storage in a cabinet and run a longer USB cable so the external storage isn't visible. If I do get the VUDU box and when they implement external storage I will be putting the external drive in a cabinet that I have a couple of my UPSs housed in so they will be hidden from view.

Comment

Plus with the Vudu's RF remote, you don't need the Vudu visible in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by NA9D View Post
        Plus with the Vudu's RF remote, you don't need the Vudu visible in the first place.
        That's also true with IR and a repeater which is what I have. In my main system, everything is hidden and I have a small "eye" to pick up the IR signal.

Comment

how and why do these discussion invariably return nuanced discussions around hard drives and USB ports...technical intricacies irrelevant to the issue at hand...As the multiple threads and this one in particular point out, the vast majority of users care about the quality of the content and having it available for rent...who cares about building a multi-tb storage array when there's less than a Tb of content worth storing (on an individual basis.)

Also and relative to ownership - who says ownership requires local storage; I can own rights to content stored both remotely and in hundreds of pieces...that's p2p...i understand the latter would require some form of DRM escrow/clearinghouse, to protect the user's ownership rights should the users content distributor fail..complicated I know.

Comment

Originally posted by Limey View Post
            how and why do these discussion invariably return nuanced discussions around hard drives and USB ports...technical intricacies irrelevant to the issue at hand...As the multiple threads and this one in particular point out, the vast majority of users care about the quality of the content and having it available for rent...who cares about building a multi-tb storage array when there's less than a Tb of content worth storing (on an individual basis.)

Maybe you don't care, but I would not be surprised if there are many who do. Speaking of which, you really should not presume to speak for everyone, since I doubt you personally know the vast majority of vudu customers. Regardless, to assume that all users, who use vudu, are renters only is just ridiculous. Moreover, as more HD content becomes available which requires more space, than for those who purchase movies, storage becomes an issue, potentially.

Comment

Originally posted by rstone View Post
              Maybe you don't care, but I would not be surprised if there are many who do. Speaking of which, you really should not presume to speak for everyone, since I doubt you personally know the vast majority of vudu customers. Regardless, to assume that all users, who use vudu, are renters only is just ridiculous. Moreover, as more HD content becomes available which requires more space, than for those who purchase movies, storage becomes an issue, potentially.
              Check the threads and see where the critical mass of posts resides - more content to rent faster/on-par with the physical outlets. Then, look at the originating post for this thread - content oriented. Then, look at the flurry of announcements regarding content "delivery." Then, take some time to review and understand the distribution of revenue between the rental and purchase market. Then re-read my post - as I clearly state in the second paragraph, the concept of "ownership" is undergoing a significant change from one of physical possession, to that of right-of-access. Given that, and given Vudu's P2P model, one could (with a little imagination) imagine using the collective storage capacity of the vudu community to obviate the need for individual storage arrays...if there were a mechanism for allowing extended access to the content via a rights' clearinghouse

Lastly - I presume nothing regarding "all" vudu users, and would challenge you to support where I make that claim? Other than stating the obvious, (HD requires greater local storage) is there something (anything) constructive you would like to add to this discussion?

For example - what are your thoughs on P2P rights management relative to P2P services in general and Vudu specifically - do you think the market is ready for concept of virtual ownership?

Comment

Originally posted by Limey View Post
                Check the threads and see where the critical mass of posts resides -
                First off, the post you see on VUDU's forum is only a SMALL sample of people and is HARDLY representative of the vast majority of users, who probably do not even visit or post on these forums. In fact of the 580 members on this forum, very few seem to actually post. So to suggest that just because those who come on here, and complain or whine about a feature, may want something, does NOT necessarily mean they are speaking for the masses of VUDU customers who are NOT represented here. I could easily infer as you have that those who come on here and complain are the minority, and hardly the vast majority. But then I'd be doing the same thing you were doing.

As for the assertion your attempting to speak for everyone, and I quote "the vast majority of users care about the quality of the content and having it available for rent" hmm...sounds VERY MUCH like an attempt to speak for everyone. I would beg to differ your with assertion that it is anything otherwise.

Lastly, in regard to virtual ownership, I think that consumers are more than ready, but I think it will still take many more years for studios, music and video, to come around to the idea that the market demands this. Although, as the courts seem to be backing the studios, it is anyone's guess if we will ever truly see virtual ownership in the form that mass demands.

Comment

Guys, let's not let this get any more heated. I think you both have good points.

Bottom line is that I do think the vast majority of people care about content - some more than others, but let's face it - if this box still had the same 150 movies on it when I started testing it about a year ago, y'all would hate everything to do with Vudu! The content was bad and were some of the worst movies you could find. I'm sure they are still in the library if anyone wants to watch one! So trust me - content is indeed important, but we may all put value on different aspects of it. Some people want rentals the same day the DVD comes out. Others don't care as long as it comes eventually. Some people want to buy and some don't.

If Vudu had portability of content that I could burn a DVD or transfer it to a portable player, I think the ownership option would be much greater. But as it is today, I'm inclined to think of the rental option as more important. I've always believed that most people would think that as well, but not all. If the vast majority of people preferred to purchase over rent, outlets like Netflix and Blockbuster likely wouldn't exist.

Now in terms of storage managment - I agree that given the P2P nature of Vudu the idea of keeping an entire movie on any one box is silly. With the exception of the rare time when one wants to download a movie and then take the box with them where there is no internet connection, having an entire movie on the drive makes little sense. In fact, having the file split up across the whole P2P network actually decreases the chance that someone could illegally steal content off the drive. You could have 5 minutes of a 100 minute movie on 20 different Vudus. No one would want to go through the trouble of hacking the encryption to just get 5 minutes of a film. On top of that, since this is all digital, you could store 5 minutes of content but you wouldn't even need to have every single bit available. Meaning, I have a total of 5 minutes, but it's missing every 8th bit or something like that. The movie could be reconstructed in real time but each box could have basically an unviewable segment of the movie by itself. You wouldn't even need encryption then as the P2P network would really by physical encryption. And Vudu could move the individual segments around from box to box over time thereby eliminating the ability of someone to track what segment came from what box and later reconstruct it illicitly. The whole content protection model is huge when viewed in this light.

I proposed a solution like this months ago early on in the alpha/beta development. I was told it was a no-go as the studios didn't go for it...

Jon

Comment

Thanks you for the requote - beg to differ all you want, but unless you plan on rewriting the definition of "vast" nor "majority" you affirmed that I did not in fact say ALL or everyone. Under your rules for the english language should I read "very few...post" to mean no-one posts?

You got me on the term users, I should have been more precise - although I will say that it's the mark of a poor debater to focus on semantics; grammar and so on, rather than the overwhelming point of the post. Which was and is content; content disribution; market direction....To that end, I was referring to both current users and the market for this type of service - as in potential Vudu users; apologies...

Given the above clarification, and based on rental-to-sale revenue mix for current outlets (BB, Netflix et al)...the winners (yes plural) will be those who master the rental market, not the purchase market. That is not say there isn't room for a company to serve as niche provider in this space...all things being equal I wouldn't want to be that niche provider.

Semantics notwithstanding, you should take some time review the press regarding DRM and recent announcements on the music side of business...clearly not years away, as you suggest - the DRM walls are crumbling, so to speak: Sony BMG among others plans to drop DRM protected music....also, DRM is not a static Lock/key, but can incorporate multiple attributes. E.g. time-based vs./+device-based.

Apple will likely have to update it's schema to effectively compete - this could unlock a great deal of content; or at the very least extend portability.

Search Fairplay or Playforsure for a primer on two prevalent DRM schemas. And Soundexchange + Harry Fox Agency as a starting point how music is currently licensed.

Comment

Originally posted by NA9D View Post
                      The content was bad and were some of the worst movies you could find. I'm sure they are still in the library if anyone wants to watch one!
                      What's the worst you can think of? The worst movie I think I ever saw anywhere was Pluto Nash with Eddie Murphy. I think if you read up on it, it says that it cost like $100 million to make and only grossed something like $4 million in the theaters.

Comment

Try renting a movie like Manoushe or Winter Lilly...

I actually never watched either of those, but I know a lot of others did...

Comment

"Breakfast of Aliens" left a bad taste in my mouth for months.

Comment

Originally posted by Nded View Post
                            "Breakfast of Aliens" left a bad taste in my mouth for months.
                            But Ed wasn't that you is the staring role?

Comment

Working...
                            X