Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

News from CES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

News from CES

Check it out...

http://gizmodo.com/341108/vudu-xl-hd...gest-vudu-ever

Re: News from CES

Not sure I like the news out of CES, I was hoping for news that would help sell the product not scare more people away. Although the announcement of more HD was nice, the pricing was not. I can get HD movies on my xbox 360 for less, and there is more of a selection. it it not streamed, but can usually start watching within 20 minutes or so, so close enough.

Comment

I'm a movie renter vs. a buyer, so the larger box means nothing to me. Shouldn't hurt Vudu unless they do something insane like disco the $399 box. I assume they're not, but that's not clear in their press release. As long as there's no new hardware capability in the XL, all should be fine.

70 new HD is a great start. Hopefully they'll be notable titles, and this represent an improved agreement with the studios for more HD content, for rent, sooner. Keep 'em coming.

Comment

the problem is they are asking consumers to pay $600 more for a $300 hard drive. Talk about price gouging.

http://www.buy.com/prod/seagate-barr...205855943.html

Comment

Hopefully the HD P2P distribution model does not require them selling a lot of the larger boxes. Note the bandwidth requirement for on demand viewing went up from 2MB to 4MB.

Comment

XL box does nothing to me as a current owner, and I'm not convinced they'll sell many at $1K. Encouraged by the HD titles, but $5.99 for a new release is a bit steep in my book...

Hopefully there is more news out of CES this week - was expecting more software / content updates than a new piece of hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by gazzie4 View Post
              the problem is they are asking consumers to pay $600 more for a $300 hard drive. Talk about price gouging.

http://www.buy.com/prod/seagate-barr...205855943.html
              There are different TB HD out there. Media drives cost almost 1.5 as much standard TB drives. The have to be able to stream and be very quite. Take a look at this announcment...the drives aren't cheap but it looks like there is a lower end coming to market:

http://www.ecommercetimes.com/rsstor...ome=1199638276
              Last edited by RonV; 01-06-2008, 10:05 AM.

Comment

Vudu will continue to offer the standard 250 Gig box as well. So this is simply another option.

I don't know, but I think there may be more than just a bigger hard drive in that box for the extra price.

Comment

I read the announcement the same was as the rest of the renters. It wasn't until the part about 70 HD movies being available soon that it became interesting to me. It seems like the emphasis should have been shifted to the increased content since that is what everyone has been clamoring for and will likely be more of a positive factor in getting people to buy boxes than the new $1000 box.

I could see new customers getting confused and thinking they have to pay for the XL if they want HD. That could make people just walk away. I consider myself a high end Vudu customer and I wouldn't be interested in the XL because I don't want to own any movies at all. Oh well, I hope it has the effect that the company desires.

Comment

Originally posted by dvcii View Post
                    Hopefully the HD P2P distribution model does not require them selling a lot of the larger boxes. Note the bandwidth requirement for on demand viewing went up from 2MB to 4MB.
                    It makes sense that HD would require larger bandwidth for "On Demand" viewing.

As long as I can rent and watch the HD movies with my 2MB RoadRunner cable modem, I don't mind waiting awhile for enough to download before watching. If I was required to get 4MB or better, that would not be good.

I will always pick quality over speed. Right now I wait 2 to 3 days (or more) for a Netflix movie, so I can definitely wait an hour or two (if needed).

Comment

Originally posted by NA9D View Post
                      Vudu will continue to offer the standard 250 Gig box as well. So this is simply another option.

I don't know, but I think there may be more than just a bigger hard drive in that box for the extra price.
                      Let me guess.. It has an RF/IR remote instead of just RF..

Comment

The larger boxes are not needed for the P2P network. The larger boxes are simply aiming at a very, very high end market. If you are very wealthy and you ask an installer to put in a system for you, he'll likely quote a package deal. You won't even necessarily know the cost of the individual components, nor would you care. So this box is designed for that market. I think that there may be some additional features to it for that price and for that market but that's strictly a guess - I don't know as the box is not shipping yet.

As for waiting for the movies, if you have a 2 Mb banwidth, you'll wait approximately for half the time of the movie before you start watching. I'll just say that you guys will like this!

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewAZ View Post
                          Let me guess.. It has an RF/IR remote instead of just RF..
                          No, it has just the RF remote, but according to the press release it looks like it might have an IR receiver built in. I'm not sure. They've not told me any more than what I read.

Comment

Would have been nice to see them add RF and Wi-Fi to the base device. That would be huge selling points.

Also a big price drop would help. Based on the comments on Giz and Engadget... people hate the idea of paying $400-$1000 for a box that allows them to rent movies. And essentially, that is what we are doing.

And finally... why not just create stackable storage drives for people who want/need extra storage? Same shape and piano black case, with a gig of storage. Get people in the door, and have options for people who like to purchase movies. THIS would have been the way to go IMO.
                            Last edited by Chopper; 01-06-2008, 01:27 PM. Reason: typo
                            I could be suave, but how many crude guys do you know?

Comment

Originally posted by Chopper View Post
                              And finally... why not just create stackable storage drives for people who want/need extra storage? Same shape and piano black case, with a gig of storage. Get people in the door, and have options for people who like to purchase movies. THIS would have been the way to go IMO.
                              You seem to think this was an "either/or" decision, however I believe we will are looking at an "and/both" scenario. Vudu can and will continue to sell the V1 hardware to folks looking for the Vudu lifestyle, and they can provide the XL to systems integrators and really high end users that want the biggest/bestest thing you got.

As for the piano black USB expansion box, given that the standard ones are "dirt cheap", I have to think that not enough people are that obsessed with a matching shape to justify paying more for a USB hard drive. How much more would you pay for a matching bookend?

Comment

Working...
                              X