Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

BREAKING NEWS: PERMANENT PRICE CUTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BREAKING NEWS: PERMANENT PRICE CUTS

Engadget just broke the news (about half an hour ago)...
    They're reporting that:
    Vudu box standard is now $149 (down from $299)
    Vudu XL is now $499 (down from $999)
    Vudu XL2 is now $799 (down from $1,299)

http://www.engadget.com/2009/02/09/v...p-box-in-half/

Re: BREAKING NEWS: PERMANENT PRICE CUTS

Yes, homepage has been updated to reflect the new price already.

Given an uptick in new users of this forum during the holiday promos, it was logical for VUDU to slash the price. The wireless adapter is still $80 though. They should put a $200 combo in place.

Comment

Whoa. $499 for an XL. That's GREAT! Now, that's in the price range I think it should be in.

And the BX100 for $150 is priced perfectly. Good job Vudu! This is the range I've always felt the boxes needed to be at...

Comment

Now I can get my Mom one. She is upping her DSL basic to DSL Pro from AT&T and will be able to get instant SD at least. My in-laws are another story still only 768 down and 256 up...no VUDU for them...

Comment

Originally posted by RonV View Post
          Now I can get my Mom one. She is upping her DSL basic to DSL Pro from AT&T and will be able to get instant SD at least. My in-laws are another story still only 768 down and 256 up...no VUDU for them...
          Well, they COULD get a Vudu...but it wouldn't be much faster than using Netflix.

Comment

Dramatic price cuts like this mean one thing and one thing only - no one's buying. This is not good news.

Comment

Well, poop.

I just purchased a new one on eBay for $170 and I thought I got a good deal Oh well, not a big deal and I am looking forward to hooking it up this evening.

I do think that a $150 price on display at Best Buy and the like will drive sales. $300 is an impulse buy for only a small number of people but $150 starts to get into the zone where people without prior intent will start to buy it. As long as BB doesn't try to sell everyone a $6 HDMI cable for $89!!

Comment

At our Best Buy hey have $140 HDMI cables next to the mock home theator. The sign read somthing like, lower error rate, richer sound. Hmmm digital is digital...well I guess some folks buy into the marketing hype.

Originally posted by deparson View Post
                Well, poop.

I just purchased a new one on eBay for $170 and I thought I got a good deal Oh well, not a big deal and I am looking forward to hooking it up this evening.

I do think that a $150 price on display at Best Buy and the like will drive sales. $300 is an impulse buy for only a small number of people but $150 starts to get into the zone where people without prior intent will start to buy it. As long as BB doesn't try to sell everyone a $6 HDMI cable for $89!!

Comment

Originally posted by RonV View Post
                  At our Best Buy hey have $140 HDMI cables next to the mock home theator. The sign read somthing like, lower error rate, richer sound. Hmmm digital is digital...well I guess some folks buy into the marketing hype.
                  Well don't Cat5 Cat5e and Cat6 network cables all carry the same "digital" signal with different amounts of errors and crosstalk (and thus different maximum throughputs)? I'm not saying that HDMI is exactly the same but I think saying "digital is digital" is probably a bit of an oversimplification of an explanation. Heck, you can even have artifacts show up from digital cable when the signal gets compromised. It's theoretically possible that a few bits get dropped or muddled up in the transmission and it could have at least a subtle impact on the picture and/or sound quality. I'll admit that it's probably below what any human could perceive but it seems theoretically possible.

Comment

Maybe, but although I'll admit that I'm just guessing here, I'd bet a significant hunk of cheese that a huge majority of signal issues have to do with 1) too long a cable, 2) running certain cables too close to certain other objects (speakers, etc.), or 3) defective/damaged cables. Only in the last case would buying a more expensive cable make a difference, but even then, buying another cheap one probably would do the trick, too.

Comment

Originally posted by redwein View Post
                      Well don't Cat5 Cat5e and Cat6 network cables all carry the same "digital" signal with different amounts of errors and crosstalk (and thus different maximum throughputs)? I'm not saying that HDMI is exactly the same but I think saying "digital is digital" is probably a bit of an oversimplification of an explanation. Heck, you can even have artifacts show up from digital cable when the signal gets compromised. It's theoretically possible that a few bits get dropped or muddled up in the transmission and it could have at least a subtle impact on the picture and/or sound quality. I'll admit that it's probably below what any human could perceive but it seems theoretically possible.
                      Cat5e and cat6 can both handle the same gigabit speeds.

Comment

Any $5 HDMI cable under 20' will do the job as good as any $200 cable. As you get longer cables you can see signal loss issues that require a higher quality cable to address.

But, most consumers are not going to be needing a 75' HDMI cable

Comment

Originally posted by deparson View Post
                          Any $5 HDMI cable under 20' will do the job as good as any $200 cable. As you get longer cables you can see signal loss issues that require a higher quality cable to address.

But, most consumers are not going to be needing a 75' HDMI cable
                          Yeah, I only needed a 50' DVI cable for my installation (hiding the cables in the wall to please the better half).

Comment

Originally posted by aaronwt View Post
                            Cat5e and cat6 can both handle the same gigabit speeds.
                            Thats only partially true, CAT6 is backwards compatiable with CAT5e and therefore can run the same speeds IF the network is 1000BaseT or lower, but not the other way around. You can't run 10GBaseT network on CAT5e, that would require CAT6. As for the performance... Cat-6 features more stringent specifications for crosstalk and system noise, and so in theory, should provide a slight improvement over CAT5e on your 1000BaseT gigabit network.

Comment

Not the HDMI debate again...

$150 is a much more appealing price point, but whether it's 'better' depends on the cost to make one. Considering the fact that VUDU has the highest revenue-per-user amount by "orders of magnitude" [their words] over all other VOD providers, it would seem that going down the route Sony & Microsoft went (cut prices to a bare minimum & get the box to more people so they can buy the content) is the better path long-term, though.

Comment

Working...
                              X