Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Is VUDU LIVING UP to your EXPECTATIONS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is VUDU LIVING UP to your EXPECTATIONS?

This was my experience about 2 months ago, and I wanted other users take on the question also? Has anything changed since then? For some reason my original post was very popular but taken away and tucked into some sub-category that only can be seen by registered users, but this is not a dislike or complaint, it is a question/opinion of what other VUDU members have to say on the subject...

I bought VUDU because the 1st thing I read all over the site and in the Press Releases was how VUDU has partnerships with almost all the studios, how it's optimized for High-Definition, and no more driving to your video store just to find the movie you want is not available.

I'm betting almost everyone else who bought it early or now thought - "GREAT, WE CAN FINALLY THROW AWAY OUR BLOCKBUSTER CARDS AND CANCEL OUR NETFLIX SUBSCRIPTION, AND MAYBE NOT EVEN BUY THAT BLU-RAY PLAYER YET, CAUSE THIS SOUNDS LIKE WE'RE GONNA HAVE THAT SAME LIBRARY OF NEW RELEASES OR POPULAR HIT MOVIE SELECTIONS THAT THEY HAVE AT OUR FINGERTIPS"!

Am I the only one with this view? I have searched everyday for movies we all know and love, and I'd have to say on average, any person looking will only find 1 out of 10 movies they search for. Please, everyone try this before responding?

I have rented tons from Blockbuster still! I have opened a Netflix account to order Blu-ray movies, and I still purchase from Comcast On-Demand.

So I ask... why did YOU buy VUDU, and is it living up to your expectation as to what you thought it would be for you?

Re: Is VUDU LIVING UP to your EXPECTATIONS?

I'd suggest reading the forums and getting the feel for what people think is a better idea instead of posting a message with a lot of all caps (which is yelling) and asking people to post yet again their feelings.

We've had two movie database polls so far. In both of those polls, the majority of respondents gave the Vudu 3 or 4 stars in that area. Based on the way the questions were worded, the majority of people are somewhat happy with the movie database and feel it will get better.

Second, if you take the time to read the posts, you'll find that most people are fairly happy with their boxes. There are also a lot of people with reservations and the biggest seems to be that not all movies are rentable and purchasable at the same time. If there's a number one issue that people are not happy about - this is it.

There's a lot of very good suggestions here for Vudu about how it can be improved and what needs to happen. There's been vigorous and level headed debate over the business model, etc.

I would suggest a thorough reading of the forums.

I also suggested several months ago that you return your Vudu since you seemed unhappy with it. I'm sure you could sell it on eBay now that the 30 day window has passed.

What's odd though is how you say that there are few movies you want to see available. Maybe your box's database isn't updating for some reason. Could you please post your box ID and database number? Box ID begins with 0x and can be found on the info and settings page.

Comment

correction...

most people do not give the database 3-4 stars.
      on 1-1-2008 your post shows:

4 stars (44.9%)
      2stars (24.49%)
      3stars (20.41%)

the current poll results show: 3 stars (43%) then 2 stars (33%)

as for me. is Vudu what i expected? yes, and more.
      this is the best new product i have ever seen.
      nothing to learn, just use it. (better exereince than my macbook, and that says a lot because Steve Jobs wants everything to be simple and work flawlessly right out of the box.)

the only issue right now is the size of the movie catalog...
      but if you are comparing to netflix or BB, both of those have had years to build up their catalogs and have about 100,000 titles each.
      Vudu says 5,000 , so i expected it to be a limited choice....for now.

Comment

Originally posted by dg900rr View Post
        correction...

most people do not give the database 3-4 stars.
        on 1-1-2008 your post shows:

4 stars (44.9%)
        2stars (24.49%)
        3stars (20.41%)

the current poll results show: 3 stars (43%) then 2 stars (33%)
        How do you figure?

If I add the percentages of people who rated the Vudu 3 to 4 stars using your numbers I get: 44.9% + 20.41% = 65.31%

Anything about 50% is most.

And actually, for the most recent numbers for the new poll it is:

43.75% give it 3 stars and 14.58% give it 4 stars. Cumulative percentage is therefore 58.33%.

It's still a majority. If you got 58.33% of the vote in an election, it would be considered pretty much a landslide...

Anyhow, I'm glad you are liking your Vudu experience!

Comment

Originally posted by paularino View Post

I'm betting almost everyone else who bought it early or now thought - "GREAT, WE CAN FINALLY THROW AWAY OUR BLOCKBUSTER CARDS AND CANCEL OUR NETFLIX SUBSCRIPTION, AND MAYBE NOT EVEN BUY THAT BLU-RAY PLAYER YET, CAUSE THIS SOUNDS LIKE WE'RE GONNA HAVE THAT SAME LIBRARY OF NEW RELEASES OR POPULAR HIT MOVIE SELECTIONS THAT THEY HAVE AT OUR FINGERTIPS"!
          I absolutely positively agree with this statement. This is how it was marketed. Vudu was to replace all other rental streams AND provide HD content to boot.

Well, the HD content is coming, but it won't be cheap. It'll be interesting to see how good the content is.

No, it hasn't lived up to my expectations. But I have to admit I'm enjoying it nonetheless. I don't get all new releases day of release. Rental periods are too short and rentals are too expensive. Too many movies are not available for rent. But I'm still finding plenty of movies I do like. When watching a movie with some family, they'll spend an hour or more looking at which movie to rent. There are plenty of good choices, but it's difficult for everyone to agree on something. If I had netflix and 3 movies at home to choose from, it'd be much more difficult. We could go to blockbuster, but then we'd spend an hour there.

Vudu has a long way to go to meet my expectations. But I am still enjoying it.

I can't/won't recommend it to anyone else yet purely based on cost. But if they lowered the cost (Significantly - $99) and add a subscription service, I'd probably bore people to death recommending it.

Comment

These are the poll results:

4 14.58%
            3 43.75%
            2 33.33%
            1 8.33%

Most people give the vudu 2 or 3 stars for the database. Not 3 or 4 stars.

58% may say 3 or 4 stars. But 87% say 2 or 3 stars. Big diff.

Comment

Originally posted by bqmeister View Post
              These are the poll results:

4 14.58%
              3 43.75%
              2 33.33%
              1 8.33%

Most people give the vudu 2 or 3 stars for the database. Not 3 or 4 stars.

58% may say 3 or 4 stars. But 87% say 2 or 3 stars. Big diff.
              Touche. I stand corrected.

We can twist the statistics all day long though. I guess the way I look at it is that based on the wording of the questions, that a 3 or 4 is that you are happy with things and that a 1 or 2 is that you are unhappy. So there are more people that are moderately happy to happy than people who are unhappy.

That's the fun about statistics!

Comment

stats are fun...

did you know that 100% of people on death row ate bread the day of thier crimes...this means eating bread will make you a bad person...lol

if you still want to play with the stats...4 stars dropped from 44% to 14%...
                or..
                more people voted 3 or less than 4 or more (on the original post results...as posted by you...)

i still think Vudu is good and poised to become great if they can negotiate with the studios and cut the price (just a little to make it more practical for the masses)

Comment

Originally posted by dg900rr View Post
                  stats are fun...

did you know that 100% of people on death row ate bread the day of thier crimes...this means eating bread will make you a bad person...lol

if you still want to play with the stats...4 stars dropped from 44% to 14%...
                  or..
                  more people voted 3 or less than 4 or more (on the original post results...as posted by you...)

i still think Vudu is good and poised to become great if they can negotiate with the studios and cut the price (just a little to make it more practical for the masses)
                  Regarding price, a lot of it will come down to what netflix offers. If netflix provides a somewhat decent set-top box that plays about 6000 movies/TV shows and has a price of around $99, instant comparisons will be made to vudu.

and the comparisons will likely focus on # of movies and price. HD will be a plus for vudu, but that's assuming Netflix doesn't have any HD Plans.
                  Vudu may be a superior product (although it's still a bit early to say for sure) but vudu will have a tough time convincing people it's $300 better.

Yeah, I made a lot of assumptions with this post. If Netflix debuts at $199 and vudu knocks $100 off the price of their box, it's a better situation, but content (and COST of content) will play a big role. Netflix with their subscription service pricing will be seen as an advantage by most.

Comment

As with any poll, we should all keep in mind that not all people (more like - no two people) read the question the same way. So while polls are generally a decent way of gauging the pulse of a population they should still be taken at face value.

I think, as NA9D has suggested, that the BEST way for really understanding how people feel about this product is to browse the forums. I think in general, most people that have it are pleased with it but each of us has are own desires for improvements and within that list of desired improvements are probably 3-4 very common themes (which I won't reiterate here b/c someone else has already done that in another post).

On a very positive note - as I was playing with the Vudu last night I realized how much I really like the (and I don't really know what to call this) movie suggestion buckets that Vudu offers in the "Find Movies" section that groups movies into certain "fun" categories such as "action packed" and "award nominees"

That feature is pretty cool and I almost always find 5-10 movies that I'm really interested in watching in there. Just anothe reason that I think Vudu is head and shoulders above anyone else out there. Think about it - any provider is going to have the same issues with the studios that Vudu has (presumably - I may be wrong) so at the end of the day it all comes down to the interface and Vudu is a clear winner here. I have to agree with what most people are saying around here - that competition is excellent for Vudu. The competitors should help spur the studios along which should in turn improve the Vudu library. If Vudu already has the best interface and all the providers have the same basic library of movies then why NOT go with Vudu right? Money will be the next determining factor...

Comment

Heres the current Poll results:

***** 5 Stars - I love it. It's what I hoped for! 0 - 0%
                      ****.. 4 Stars - I'm impressed and am hoping for a few more goodies 7 - 14.58%
                      ***.... 3 Stars - Its good, and Im convinced it's going to get better 21 - 43.75%
                      **...... 2 Stars - Not bad, but it has a way to go before I'm happy 16 - 33.33%
                      *........ 1 Star.. - Not yet what I expected 4 - 8.33%

This has been metioned before, but I'll frefresh memories of the folks who might have missed my earlier rant. This poll was written by a clown that didn't think through the layout or how to balance the qeustions (your truly). This poll has 1 negaive response (#1). Response #2 is neutral ground with an optomisted hint. response 3 & 4 are cleearly positive, 5 should not have been include as up to now we did not have a Holy Grail upon wich to hang our vote (i.e. Star Trek Moves). I'm gonna fix the poll to make it easier for other to follow the intent of the poill.

If you have other Poll suggestions, plese sent then to one of the moderators,

Comment

I confess -- out of the box, I was disappointed with amount of content since I didn't realize I wasn't seeing latest updates. Now, I view it more favorably especially since there is more clarity as to when movies will become available for rent. I am also curious to see which titles will be offered in HD and how fast that catalog grows.

Having a subscription option would be nice and I am sure that if it's economically viable, Vudu must be trying to negotiate that with content providers.

At any rate, content is the king. It's interesting to see what other companies will offer. Apple reportedly only will have Fox and Disney for rent and Netflix's streaming library isn't currently as complete as Vudu's from what I hear.

Comment

Well, I did notice that my original post was about marketing, and how VUDU may have misled us in wording they used on the website and in press releases in trying to explain to us in selling terms what VUDU is, and I said the higher-ups may want to look at this and change it, and looks like they followed the advise and did.

Most of the wording I quoted and selling points they tried to use are no longer there and this should help EVERYONE, because there should be no false hopes.

I was one of the 1st buyers because it sounded so good, and I really wanted/loved new technology - which from everything I thought I researched and read from the site, basically said "no more physical video store needed" plus MORE HD content.

Now don't get me wrong in the least, I like the box and the technology, it's friggin great - come on, INSTANTLY being able to play a streamed HD movie and having an awsome cool user interface to find, search & select CERTAIN movies, and ALL ON DEMAND is the best of the best, and believe me, I WANT TO use the box so much more, but like I orig said, it just didn't have the ability from what was told to us to do so.

But thank goodness in this case for the non-subscription model, because I'm hoping so bad that one day it may get there, and I can turn it back on and be excited once again like the day I ordered it.

It SHOULD get there - after all, VUDU has the most ducks in a row for it to happen.

Comment

I have 12 movies in my wish list and most of them are available to rent now. The others will probably be available by the time I get to them. By that time, I expect that there are others that I will add to my wish list. So, for me, there is no need to use anything else to rent movies.

How could this possibly be? Well, I don't need to watch a movie the first day it is available on Netflix, though I do want eventually everything that is available there to also be on Vudu, but a several week delay would mean nothing to me. As long as I have a queue of movies I know I want to watch and many more to go browsing through if I'm not in the mood for any of those, what else would I need?

Comment

I don't mean to be rude here, and I do like the Vudu product so far...but I do want to point out that the mentality of, "I'm very busy and therefore do not need to see a movie right when it comes out on DVD" is flawed, in my humble opinion.

If one is so busy, is it not better to have it available as soon as possible, as you will not know for certain when available time will present itself? If one wants to "watch what one wants to watch when one wants to watch it," is it also not better to have the option of watching it sooner, rather than later?

Again, I like this product and these discussions and I am not intending this to be rude or directed at anybody in particular...just trying to get my mind around this sort of thinking.

Comment

Working...
                              X