Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Stereo Surround a Deal Breaker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stereo Surround a Deal Breaker?

Just got the Vudu hooked up and was running through the movie selection to find something to watch.

I had heard that "some" of the movies were not in DD 5.1, so I figured likely the newer ones would be 5.1.

I bet it is 1 out of 50 or maybe even 1, out of 100.

Took me an hour or more just to find a MOVIE!!!

I am amazed!!!

This SUCKS.

Am I correct that this is expected to change, or is the current library "in stone" and the only chance for 5.1 is new additions?

This is one giant step backwards, to 1980 something and Dolby ProLogic.

If this is it, VuDU will not DU.

Is there any way to get a list of the films that are 5.1. any filter?

And does anyone have a form e-mail to send to whatever studio is causing this travesty. I didn't spend $30K on a sound system to listen to "Stereo" Processed.

I think there is GREAT Potential here, but no one is going to want to pay $4, for a stereo version of a film you can record off cable in 5.1.

Sorry for the Rant, but I want this to work, and not only work, I want it to FLY!!!

Re: Stereo Surround a Deal Breaker?

I agree with you on the importance of getting the 5.1 audio to be part of as many movies as possible. I doubt it is ever going to happen for the classic movies, which are a significant piece of the starting Vudu database. After all, there really is no way to provide a valid 5.1 track for something like "To Kill a Mockingbird". I'd have to think that a lot of the movies up through the 80's were not even produced with a viable soundtrack that would leverage our modern home theaters. Remember how it was a big deal back in the olden days when a movie theater offered a movie with enhanced audio? Heck, I went to see "Dan In Real Life" last night, and there was not really anything special about the soundtrack, so I wouldn't be surprised to find out that it is eventually released in stereo, as the producer didn't have a need to paint a picture in our ears.

I am intrigued by your thought to protest this situation with the studios. I have no idea if we can find out who to address this complaint to. Even if we knew where to address our emails, I'd discourage the use of a "form letter", as those are not as powerful as an individual taking 5 minutes to write down what they really think and want. I am confident that the comments posted on this forum are put in the arsenal of the employees at Vudu who negotiate with the studios.

Comment

What about the question of a filter for the 5.1 movies?

Comment

I agree the 5.1 situation is a major issue. I was very disappointed that a movie like 300 is in stereo only. Yet, "The Dog Walker" an independent film that isn't all that good is. There is no logic to it why a current cinematic release isn't in 5.1.

The same thing frustrated me when I had Dish Network. It was my first DD product and I bought my first DD receiver to use w/it. Not all movies on PPV were available in 5.1. And then when I went back to cable, NOTHING was available in anything higher than DD2.0 until you switched to a high-def box and now only the high-def stuff is available in 5.1. So I would say Vudu is sorta on par with current entertainment services.

But that's not saying that it's where it should be either. This is being billed as a product for high end systems and it should include all the high end features.

I expect that as time goes on, the amount of DD5.1 content will improve and I suspect that some movies currently on the box will have their sound upgraded (I hope so). When HD content comes out, then all that content should be 5.1 as well..

Jon

Comment

Hi Ed,

I care not about the "Classic Films", only those released or re-released in 5.1.

I find the Stereo thing "strange".

It seems to me, that there is something that MUST be going on behind the scenes, that causes this.

VuDu has an opportunit to "leap frog" over Netflix, BlockBuster, and All the crazy terabyte laden incredibly expensive HTPC's.

In essence, it permits you to have your "MOVIE" collection "online", and access it, as if it was in your house.

But "AS IS" VuDu is only a daliance to use with a plasma TV though its speakers (stereo).

I wouldn't mind paying a premium (say 25-50 cents more) to get the sound.

I sell hundreds of HT audio systems each year, and I would love to have a product that had HD (1080p) and 5.1 sound. . . .Are you kidding me? $3.99 a movie?

Sign me up, (well I did sign up) but I had NO IDEA, of the lack of 5.1. This is intolerable, and there must be an answer, why any Studio would want to present their product this way is beyond me.

I would like to know:

1) Why the Studio's have chosen to do this

2) WHICH Studios have the most 5.1

3) Is there a way to filter for the 5.1, and if there isn't can we request on.

4) How to contact the offending studios and let them know our displeasure (and I do think a form of some type need be used, so that we are able to NOT OFFEND a studio by ranting like I am doing now)

Comment

Originally posted by bioforce View Post
            I would like to know:

1) Why the Studio's have chosen to do this

2) WHICH Studios have the most 5.1

3) Is there a way to filter for the 5.1, and if there isn't can we request on.

4) How to contact the offending studios and let them know our displeasure (and I do think a form of some type need be used, so that we are able to NOT OFFEND a studio by ranting like I am doing now)
            Answers:

1) Cause they own the licenses and they control the distribution. I truly believe that they don't understand what the market wants vs. what they are trying to protect.

2) Thats a loaded question. Sony, Fox, Disney, etc they all have their current movies in 5.1. The oldies don't translate well into 5.1 so they will be mono or stereo.

3) There is no filter on the VUDU at this time. But a lot of folks have requested this be added. I am sure its on their list of things to do.

4) Look in the phone book for their public relations offices. Remember there are the studios and their distribution networks. I would call both. email goes nowhere with these folks. I complained a long time ago via email with channel reversal in a DVD and they never responded.

Comment

Originally posted by RonV View Post
              Answers:

1) Cause they own the licenses and they control the distribution. I truly believe that they don't understand what the market wants vs. what they are trying to protect.

2) Thats a loaded question. Sony, Fox, Disney, etc they all have their current movies in 5.1. The oldies don't translate well into 5.1 so they will be mono or stereo.

3) There is no filter on the VUDU at this time. But a lot of folks have requested this be added. I am sure its on their list of things to do.

4) Look in the phone book for their public relations offices. Remember there are the studios and their distribution networks. I would call both. email goes nowhere with these folks. I complained a long time ago via email with channel reversal in a DVD and they never responded.
              Hi Ron,

Thanks for your response.

However:

1) That does not explain "why". There is NO other presentations source that offers 2 channel stereo only.

Not DVD, not Cable, not Sat, Not (fill in the blank). So why VuDu?

It would seem that each of the others has a selection of choices. VuDu is "specifically" limited. WHY?

2) I was asking about "on VuDu" which studio has more 5.1. so I don't have to search through all of them.

3) Thanks

4) A few thousand e-mails would likely get some ones attention. Are you sure PR office is the place? Doesn't seem realistic. I would think Marketing and Distribution Rights, but someone from VuDu needs to answer this, so we are not wasting our time.

Comment

Originally posted by RonV View Post
                2) Thats a loaded question. Sony, Fox, Disney, etc they all have their current movies in 5.1.
                Not all.. There's a lot of new releases not in 5.1 (300 is just one example).

Comment

Everyone's bouncing around this subject.
                  No one cares about old movies like To Kill a Mockingbird in stereo only sound. People do care about new releases. Any movie released in the past 5 years that's available on vudu but is not available in dd is intolerable.

Quit bringing up older releases cause no one is interested in those (as far as this discussion goes).

Comment

Originally posted by bqmeister View Post
                    Everyone's bouncing around this subject.
                    No one cares about old movies like To Kill a Mockingbird in stereo only sound. People do care about new releases. Any movie released in the past 5 years that's available on vudu but is not available in dd is intolerable.

Quit bringing up older releases cause no one is interested in those (as far as this discussion goes).
                    No one is bouncing around this. The problem is that the studios don't release all the content to Vudu in DD. Why? We don't freaking know. It IS stupid. It is a headache and it frustrates users. It should not be this way. I don't know of anyone who does not agree with this.

But bqmeister, the best way to help change this is to purchase a box and start using it. Help Vudu become a success and in time, we can change things with the studios...

BTW: Some of us do like the old movies...

Comment

Originally posted by NA9D View Post
                      No one is bouncing around this. The problem is that the studios don't release all the content to Vudu in DD. Why? We don't freaking know. It IS stupid. It is a headache and it frustrates users. It should not be this way. I don't know of anyone who does not agree with this.

But bqmeister, the best way to help change this is to purchase a box and start using it. Help Vudu become a success and in time, we can change things with the studios...

BTW: Some of us do like the old movies...

The writer's strike makes vudu more compelling, but the upfront cost is still too high, especially given the fact that content on DVDs is superior. I paid a lot of money for my 5.1 sound system (THX Ultra Receiver & speakers). I'm not about to watch the latest blockbuster with subpar audio.

I will still watch and appreciate some of the classics from time to time, and I don't care that they're not in dd5.1 or dts, but new releases - no excuse for them.

vudu really needs to flex some muscle against the studios.

Comment

Lot of "discussion" but no "direction".

Doesn't anyone from VUDU read these posts?

I'm sure all of us would be happy to become "proactive" rather than "winers".

We need names and addresses or e-mail addresses of the persons and departments to contact to provide "input".

I would think it "unlikely" that VUDU does not have this information.

Comment

John,

I don't know what Vudu's position is other than to say I have a pretty good understanding that they want to go easy on the studios and try to partner with them rather than beat them up. I don't think it serves Vudu's interest as a partner with the studios for them to encourage users to do letter campaigns, etc. I am certain there's a lot of politics and all that other good kissing up that has to go on. Vudu needs the studios to support them as much as possible and anything that they do to foment friction could have a negative impact. Therefore, I doubt Vudu will give names or encourage such an idea as yours.

That said, I don't think there's anything wrong with us as users voicing our complaints to the studios. I am sure there are ways that those who want could figure out a name or title to send letters to. And I don't think that Vudu would try to stop users either. After all, you are independent and can do what you want. But I don't think Vudu will sanction anything.

What I feel I can say for sure is that the concerns and desires of users like yourself are being taken in by Vudu and that those concerns will be brought up with the studios. It's in everyone's best interest to have as much 5.1 content as possible. Vudu knows. Trust us. They are working on all this stuff...

Comment

I agree with everyone not having more in 5.1 is a killer... To me sound is as important as video. People are used to good quality DVD's and normally when people come over they compliment how good my surround sound is, it really adds to the movie. I guess I am spoiled since blu-ray has such good sound along with the cable TV bringing HD channels with 5.1.

If anything this is the first thing Vudu needs to fix, having 5.1 will make up for the lack of some popular films in my view.

Comment

Yes, the movie experience is 10000 times diffferent with surround sound vs. ProLogic.

We used to think ProLogic sounded good! I'll never forget the first time I played a laser disc encoded with ProLogic. My friends were amazed.

Then I'll never forget back in college in 1986 when a friend bought a stereo VCR (I think it was an NEC Betamax machine - yeah it was a SuperBeta Hi-Fi). I'll never forget how we watched the movie, Rustler's Rhapsody. It was one of the first movies done in Hi-Fi stereo. The movie started out in Black and White and mono and then in one scene broke into color and stereo. We were like "WOW."

Now, if something doesn't have at least 5.1, I get unhappy!

I'm quite certain that all the HD content, whenever it becomes available, will be in 5.1...

Comment

Working...
                              X