Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Video control pls...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Video control pls...

I have been using my new Vudu for several days now. I am quite pleased with it when it works as expected.

However, I have two serious issues with the service:

First, the lack of "restart", fast forward, reverse, and the other typical video controls is a serious limitation. It would be far better that these controls were implemented in software as opposed to not having them at all. You do not even have to modify the, rather excellent, remote control but we must have something! If there are studio issues, let us know and we can brainstorm alternatives with you. There are just too many situations where these controls are essential movie experience in the normal home environment where there are demands on watching from beginning to end in a constant unending stream.

Second, the 24hour rental viewing window must start when the movie is totally downloaded, not when first started to be viewed / played. Last evening my wife and I rented a movie and began to watch it. We only got a few minutes into the movie and the remainder of the movie had not been downloaded. We went away, watched something else on our cable, came back to Vudu and the movie has still not downloaded even though the 24hour rental clock had clearly begun to count down. When I checked the QoS, it showed clearly that I should have been able to view and download at the same time.

Still lovin' it.
    Duck

Re: Video control pls...

There is FF and RW - you use the scroll wheel. The faster you move the scroll wheel the faster the FF or RW accelerates. Does this do what you want?

Second, in terms of the 24 hr time window, since Vudu is instant Video on Demand, the assumption is that once you start watching the movie, you are going to watch it. The clock starts ticking. If you start watching the movie and don't stop, the movie will generally complete downloading about 15 to 20 minutes before the end of the movie. Also, the movie download doesn't stop when you stop watching.

The best way around this is to get the studios to open up their rental policy. Vudu has successfully negotiated this with most of the independent studios to 48 hours. I am sure they are trying this with the big studios as well.

Comment

I think you will find that the "More" button on your Vudu will some day address your first point.

I'm not sure your second point makes sense to me. What does it matter to you whether or not it was yet downloaded, as long as you could watch it? Keep in mind that the download times are almost exactly the same as the viewing time, so it takes about 2 hours to download a 2 hour movie. The only time I can think of when you really care whether or not something is totally downloaded is when you plan to unplug from the internet to take your Vudu to an alternate viewing venue.

Comment

I think he was saying that he got a few minutes into it and Vudu told him he had to wait because it was downloading slower than viewing speed. It sounds like a network issue but one that he didn't think he should have. That's just a guess.

Comment

Well, if that's the case, there's nothing you can do with that. You can only stream so fast ahead of your viewing spot. And if you move to the end of what you have already downloaded, how can you possibly go further!

Wait a second, I just re-read the second part of his post and yeah - that sounds like a network issue of some sort.

FloatingDuck - Please let us know if you started watching the movie and then got a message that you had to wait. Then you went away, watched something else. Then when you came back you still couldn't watch the movie. Is that correct? If so, then please tell us what your internet speed typically is, please tell us what movie you were trying to watch and please tell us your box ID number (begins with 0x). Also, please tell us the time and date when this happened. We can see if the engineering team can pull your logs to see what happened.

Comment

Originally posted by NA9D View Post
            Wait a second, I just re-read the second part of his post and yeah - that sounds like a network issue of some sort.

FloatingDuck - Please let us know if you started watching the movie and then got a message that you had to wait. Then you went away, watched something else. Then when you came back you still couldn't watch the movie. Is that correct? If so, then please tell us what your internet speed typically is, please tell us what movie you were trying to watch and please tell us your box ID number (begins with 0x). Also, please tell us the time and date when this happened. We can see if the engineering team can pull your logs to see what happened.
            Hi, thanks for the attention to my problems and not saying RTFM on the fast forward issue - do NOT know how I missed that!

On the other problem, it must be a network problem. I attempted to rent another movie last evening with the same results. I said "view now" and viewed normally - it ran to the end of the clip and said "wait". I went away, watched my cable movies for a while, came back to Vudu and no luck - neither of the movies are available. This is at odds with my view of the two Bournes (Identity and Supremacy) which worked fine.

I usually average 4.5MB dl speed or more according to SpeakEasy. "Chain of Fools" and "Death in the Shadows" are the videos that did not download (even yet).

My info is 0x5a9b and AFAIK I have the latest db 14:1426.

thanks for the helping hand here
            Duck

Comment

Do you have a wireless game adapter in your setup? What router are you using? It seems that there are some configurations that don't work well with the Vudu and this is the symptom.

Comment

Originally posted by redwein View Post
                Do you have a wireless game adapter in your setup? What router are you using? It seems that there are some configurations that don't work well with the Vudu and this is the symptom.
                [new edit]
                my wife reminded me that we did successfully watch one video without problems when we first got the machine - the movie was "Invisible" - pretty good actually.
                [/new edit]

I am using a Netgear FWG114P hard-wire connected to a Netgear Powerline HDX101. The Powerline shows green flashing, which means it is working and dl'ing. The Powerline diagnostics show excellent throughput. The db seemed to update okay over the last two days.

I (just now) reset the HDX101 to give priority to TCP traffic as opposed to UDP or other... it was set to give priority to UDP - we'll see how TCP priority works.

Comment

Originally posted by FloatingDuck View Post
                  Hi, thanks for the attention to my problems and not saying RTFM on the fast forward issue - do NOT know how I missed that!
                  Don't feel bad, my inlaws also completely missed it.

-- Greg

Comment

Originally posted by Greg View Post
                    Don't feel bad, my inlaws also completely missed it.

-- Greg
                    I think it would be nice to have a tutorial movie that explains the controls and interface in greater detail. I remember there was a general overview during set-up but I don't remember it being very thorough.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusdude View Post
                      I think it would be nice to have a tutorial movie that explains the controls and interface in greater detail. I remember there was a general overview during set-up but I don't remember it being very thorough.
                      I think it actually covers this, although to be honest, I have been through it so many times that I haven't been paying too much attention in the last few dozen times to tell you for sure .

-- Greg

Comment

Originally posted by Greg View Post
                        I think it actually covers this, although to be honest, I have been through it so many times that I haven't been paying too much attention in the last few dozen times to tell you for sure .

-- Greg
                        I don't remember much about the little video tutorial, so you might be right. I was setting up the box on Christmas weekend, so there was a lot of other stuff gong on at the same time

Comment

I too have watched the Guided Setup about a dozen times now. It does show how the FF/RW controls work...It's pretty good for a brief but concise tutorial on how the box works. It would be useful if this could be played later by the user if they "forget."

Comment

Working...
                          X