Announcement

Collapse

Vudu Forum Guidelines

Vudu Forum Guidelines

The Vudu Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Vudu experience. Here, Vudu customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Vudu and Vudu -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Vudu customers with questions and/or problems with their VUDU service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Vudu Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Vudu Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Vudu reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Vudu products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Vudu retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Vudu Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Vudu products and services should be directed to Vudu customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Vudu, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Vudu a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Vudu desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Vudu will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Vudu is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Vudu the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Vudu for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Vudu takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Ultraviolet movies not shown in original aspect ratio?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Ultraviolet movies not shown in original aspect ratio?

    I just redeemed my ultraviolet code from purchasing Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol Bluray. The movie showed up in my account as HDX. When I play it, the movie is cropped to 16:9. The original aspect ratio is 2.40:1, confirmed on the bluray and also with the free extended preview on vudu. There should be black bars at the top and bottom. The aspect ratio is correct when I watch it directly from Paramount movies website.
    The situation is the same for UV Harry Potter Deathly Hallows part 2. The picture is cropped to 16:9. Anyone have the same issue?

    #2
    Re: Ultraviolet movies not shown in original aspect ratio?

    Originally posted by cric151 View Post
    I just redeemed my ultraviolet code from purchasing Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol Bluray. The movie showed up in my account as HDX. When I play it, the movie is cropped to 16:9. The original aspect ratio is 2.40:1, confirmed on the bluray and also with the free extended preview on vudu. There should be black bars at the top and bottom. The aspect ratio is correct when I watch it directly from Paramount movies website.
    The situation is the same for UV Harry Potter Deathly Hallows part 2. The picture is cropped to 16:9. Anyone have the same issue?
    I did notice that Ghost protocol was "full screen" without the black bars. Typically, we work with whatever the studio provides us with. I'll see if there is any other information i can find out for you.
    Dan H.
    VUDU QA

    Comment


      #3
      Re: Ultraviolet movies not shown in original aspect ratio?

      Originally posted by dhatman View Post
      I did notice that Ghost protocol was "full screen" without the black bars. Typically, we work with whatever the studio provides us with. I'll see if there is any other information i can find out for you.
      Sounds like they sent VUDU the HBO chop job.

      Comment


        #4
        Re: Ultraviolet movies not shown in original aspect ratio?

        I noticed MI4 and Harry Potter Deathly Hallows Part 2 were cropped, so I took a look around my collection to see if any others were. Turns out, Hangover 2 and Green Lantern were also cropped. No good.

        EDIT:
        Looks like Drive and Crazy Stupid Love are also cropped.

        Comment


          #5
          Re: Ultraviolet movies not shown in original aspect ratio?

          This is nothing new. Some titles are like that. Vudu can only encode what they are given.

          Comment


            #6
            Re: Ultraviolet movies not shown in original aspect ratio?

            You can add A Very Harold & Kumar Christmas to the list. it's cropped to 16x9 from it's Original aspect ratio: 2.39:1.

            Comment


              #7
              Re: Ultraviolet movies not shown in original aspect ratio?

              Originally posted by prkprkprk View Post
              I noticed MI4 and Harry Potter Deathly Hallows Part 2 were cropped, so I took a look around my collection to see if any others were. Turns out, Hangover 2 and Green Lantern were also cropped. No good.

              EDIT:
              Looks like Drive and Crazy Stupid Love are also cropped.

              Can you tell if these are actually cropped, or if they are "open matte" (ie. showing more content vertically vs. cropping horizontally)? I don't have those BDs handy to compare the actual picture

              Anyway, we are looking into this - we do ask the studios to provide content in the original aspect ratio whenever possible...

              Comment


                #8
                Re: Ultraviolet movies not shown in original aspect ratio?

                Add Hugo to the list as being cropped as well.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Re: Ultraviolet movies not shown in original aspect ratio?

                  Originally posted by Jake View Post
                  Can you tell if these are actually cropped, or if they are "open matte" (ie. showing more content vertically vs. cropping horizontally)? I don't have those BDs handy to compare the actual picture

                  Anyway, we are looking into this - we do ask the studios to provide content in the original aspect ratio whenever possible...
                  It appears Ghost Protocol is cropped and Harry Potter Part 2 is open matte. Either way, neither movie is shown with the correct aspect ratio. I have not checked the other movies people have mentioned here.

                  1) The extended free preview for Ghost Protocol is shown in correct aspect ratio. but the movie itself is not?

                  2) All the Harry Potter movies have correct ratio, except deathly hallows part 2. this movie has been out for awhile, am i really the first person to bring this issue to your attention?

                  Thanks for looking into this.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Re: Ultraviolet movies not shown in original aspect ratio?

                    FYI... I heard we received the OAR (ie. correct ) version of Ghost Protocol from Paramount, so it should be re-encoded and published within the next couple days.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Re: Ultraviolet movies not shown in original aspect ratio?

                      Originally posted by HDGuy View Post
                      Add Hugo to the list as being cropped as well.
                      Hugo was NOT cropped. It was shot in 16:9.

                      Crazy Stupid Love, Hangover 2, and Green Lantern are cropped, they aren't an opened up matte.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Re: Ultraviolet movies not shown in original aspect ratio?

                        Originally posted by prkprkprk View Post
                        Hugo was NOT cropped. It was shot in 16:9.
                        It is. It's 1.85 cropped to 1.78. No, it's not as bad as 2.35 cropped to 1.78 but it's still a crop job. Not sure why the studios even bother doing that if the Blu is 1.85...

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Re: Ultraviolet movies not shown in original aspect ratio?

                          Originally posted by HDGuy View Post
                          It is. It's 1.85 cropped to 1.78. No, it's not as bad as 2.35 cropped to 1.78 but it's still a crop job. Not sure why the studios even bother doing that if the Blu is 1.85...
                          I'm surprised that anyone can tell when it's cropped from 1.85 to 1.78? How could you tell?

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Re: Ultraviolet movies not shown in original aspect ratio?

                            Originally posted by HDGuy View Post
                            It is. It's 1.85 cropped to 1.78. No, it's not as bad as 2.35 cropped to 1.78 but it's still a crop job. Not sure why the studios even bother doing that if the Blu is 1.85...
                            Actually that is not cropped but opened matte. This adds 20 lines above/below of "extra" info and no missing info (with is what cropping does). Some studies like Warner do this to (almost) all of their 1.85 films (on DVD & BD).

                            Originally posted by lujan View Post
                            I'm surprised that anyone can tell when it's cropped from 1.85 to 1.78? How could you tell?
                            Almost all projectors don't have overscan. Almost all HDTV's have >5% overscan making it impossible to tell.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Re: Ultraviolet movies not shown in original aspect ratio?

                              Originally posted by Jake View Post
                              FYI... I heard we received the OAR (ie. correct ) version of Ghost Protocol from Paramount, so it should be re-encoded and published within the next couple days.
                              This is good to know.
                              After watching it on Blu-ray I wanted to see what the digital copy looked like and noticed no black bars. But it's good to know you were able to get the re-encoded copy. And I just checked and it looks fixed and great.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X