Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Ultraviolet Gripes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ultraviolet Gripes

Please excuse me if this is not the appropriate place for me to air out my concerns but a Google Search did not reveal an UltraViolet specific forum.

I was initially intrigued by the D2D system as it would save me a significant time investment over my current system; unfortunately my experience has been less than rewarding.

PC Issues:
    - my Internet blows chunks...consequently I do not stream. I prefer to download/cache content for playback on my PC etc. I spent several hours downloading a movie yesterday via the Flixster Desktop program (the download seemed to crawl...more so than most other downloads). Once downloaded and starting playback I was warned that my monitor settings would have to be changed or the picture might flicker. So i changed my monitor settings to the suggested settings and the movie seemed to play fine. However I downloaded the movie with another purpose as well... Having read here http://uvdemystified.com/uvfaq.html#toc1.10.4 that UV supported sideloading my next mission was to find the movie file and copy it to another PC in another room that is hooked up to a TV...couldn't find the file. Eventually I found the file at C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Flixster\Storage\91646 0923 or what I assume is the file anyways based on file size; however it is just a jumble of numbers and letters with no apparent extension. That file seems useless outside the program so I see no way to 'side-load' the file to another PC. All attempts at renaming the file and importing it into the Flixster Desktop program failed.

iPad: on two separate occasions I've had downloaded movies disappear from my iPad. I had not deleted them but they no longer showed up under 'Downloads' in the Flixster App.

To say the least I am underwhelmed by the entire Flixster/UltraViolet/Vudu experience and am very hesitant to expand my collection past the six films I already have.

...and the studios wonder why consumers seek alternatives when we can't even take legally obtained content and use it in a reasonable manner.

Re: Ultraviolet Gripes

That site isn't anything official. More than a few web searches have taken me there though, so I share your confusion.

I think side-loading is something that is awaiting the release of a "common-file format", though I'm not sure, so I shouldn't say.

FYI - your Vudu movies can be downloaded and watched on a PC through Vudu. Still not in a format you can copy to a drive and watch on a different device, though.

Comment

nyunole is right. Sideloading is not possible yet until the CFF (UV's Common File Format) is ready, which was predicted months ago as being out in the summer time. Definitely by the end of the year.

Comment

Also you can download Vudu movies in HDX on the PS3 and a few of the previous gen LG Blu-ray Players with hard drives.

Comment

Thanks for the input...it's going to be interesting to see where this all leads but ultimately many consumers are not going to be happy unless ALL the studios get on board with a common format.

iTunes, FUV (Flixster, UltraViolet, Vudu) and whatever Disney/Pixar ends up with (possibly iTunes compatible?) - still a hassle from a consumers standpoint.

I personally refuse to invest any significant amount of money into any one platform until I can be assured that is THE platform that is going to be used.

I still have a pile of LaserDisks in storage somewhere

Comment

Originally posted by AZHemi View Post
            Thanks for the input...it's going to be interesting to see where this all leads but ultimately many consumers are not going to be happy unless ALL the studios get on board with a common format.

iTunes, FUV (Flixster, UltraViolet, Vudu) and whatever Disney/Pixar ends up with (possibly iTunes compatible?) - still a hassle from a consumers standpoint.

I personally refuse to invest any significant amount of money into any one platform until I can be assured that is THE platform that is going to be used.

I still have a pile of LaserDisks in storage somewhere
            Kinda reminds me of the HD-DVD and Blu-Ray format confusion....For me, downloads to a set-top box w/hard drive is the ticket, being able to download to my NAS server would even be better...Render the ripping, encoding, etc. moot......

Comment

Originally posted by canadien37 View Post
              Kinda reminds me of the HD-DVD and Blu-Ray format confusion....For me, downloads to a set-top box w/hard drive is the ticket, being able to download to my NAS server would even be better...Render the ripping, encoding, etc. moot......
              I refused to move from DVD to Blu-Ray until there was a clear winner...same situation here. I have a handful of movies in iTunes (thanks to included codes) and the six FUV titles. I'm hesitant too invest to much until there is a common format. Personally I get tired of paying for the same thing over and over...VHS, LaserDisk, DVD, Blu-Ray, Mobile - in the end that's an expensive copy of A Clockwork Orange

Comment

I think vudu/ultraviolet has a lot going for it. 80 companies are behind the ultraviolet standard. Disney is the only major studio not on board. If they don't join in they will miss out on a lot of sales. UV is going to be on every Blu-Ray in the near future. There's already 2 million people signed up since launch in October. Not even DVD sold that many players in the first few months. I think there will be 15 million accounts by the end of this year, perhaps more. Disney will eventually fold.

Comment

Disney is the only major studio not on board.
                  I've been surprised to discover how many Lionsgate films I own. Hopefully, they both come on board.

Comment

I refused to move from DVD to Blu-Ray until there was a clear winner...same situation here. I have a handful of movies in iTunes (thanks to included codes) and the six FUV titles. I'm hesitant too invest to much until there is a common format. Personally I get tired of paying for the same thing over and over...VHS, LaserDisk, DVD, Blu-Ray, Mobile - in the end that's an expensive copy of A Clockwork Orange
                    I'm an HD enthusiast with both video and sound so here is the order that I buy the movies:

1) Blu-ray because it has the best video and sound
                    2) Vudu and only on those movies that don't have blu-ray but have them on an HD resolution (only 11 that I've converted on D2D from DVD to HDX)
                    3) DVD

The other movies I have on Vudu are those that came with the physical media and I will probably not watch much unless I'm traveling and have a broadband connection. I only have about 23 DVDs left so they will either be converted by buying the blu-ray when/if it comes out or if it's available on D2D (HDX), whichever comes first. Fortunately, I never got into the LaserDisk faze.

Comment

My biggest gripe is the restrictions still being placed. I'm not sure if it studio infighting, or what, but restricting titles seems counter productive on a service that's had such a rocky start. I can kind of understand tv show uv codes not showing on vudu, but Devil Inside? Why pick such a Terrible movie to block from vudu? Plus the whole paramount/flixster thing. It studios want to make this work they need to work these things out.

Comment

Originally posted by madmod20061 View Post
                        My biggest gripe is the restrictions still being placed. I'm not sure if it studio infighting, or what, but restricting titles seems counter productive on a service that's had such a rocky start. I can kind of understand tv show uv codes not showing on vudu, but Devil Inside? Why pick such a Terrible movie to block from vudu? Plus the whole paramount/flixster thing. It studios want to make this work they need to work these things out.
                        Well unless Paramount wants to get left out of the D2D service from home, it's going to have to support Flixster by that launch (or soon after).

Comment

If you to to UltraViolet's website and look at your collection, off to the side of each movie there is a box that says Get A Copy, with a shaded out link. This is probably in anticipation of CFF. There used to be a date under the link that said December 20, 2012, but it's no longer there. Not sure if that's a bad sign that it might be even later than that date or not.

Comment

Originally posted by rdross80 View Post
                            If you to to UltraViolet's website and look at your collection, off to the side of each movie there is a box that says Get A Copy, with a shaded out link. This is probably in anticipation of CFF. There used to be a date under the link that said December 20, 2012, but it's no longer there. Not sure if that's a bad sign that it might be even later than that date or not.
                            Hopefully they will reset the download counts when they launch CFF...I've burned a couple of downloads just trying to get the service to do things that I feel should have been available on day 1.

Comment

Hopefully they will reset the download counts when they launch CFF...I've burned a couple of downloads just trying to get the service to do things that I feel should have been available on day 1.
                              Those downloads you have done will not count toward your limit. It only refers to the common file format downloads, and BTW that Dec. 20th date has been there since before last Dec. 20th so I don't think it refers to a year, just a placeholder. CFF is widely expected to be finished the first half of this year so it doesn't give them much time.

Comment

Working...
                              X