Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

HDX movies having Dolby Stereo Audio ?!!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HDX movies having Dolby Stereo Audio ?!!?

So i was just skimming some movies to see if HDX upgrades of DVDs such as Godfather were worth it when i came across an interesting spec on the "more info" page and i'm hoping this is a mistake, can someone please confirm that they have 5.1 on any of these movies? On my PS3, they are showing as HDX with Dolby Stereo.

Training Day, Mission Impossible 3, Matrix Revolutions, Matrix Reloaded, Friday, Die Hard With a Vengeance, Die Hard, 300 and Batman Begins.

I dont think any of us is supporting D2D to get inferior products especially downgrading DTS-HD or Dolby HD audio to Stereo.

I sent a support ticket. If this is what we have to look forward to then i think i'm done converting especially since i mainly buy action/thriller/blow'em up movies.

Edit: Just watched some 300 and it was not cool in stereo, alot going on in the front stage. I can imagine what Matrix is going to sound like .

Re: HDX movies having Dolby Stereo Audio ?!!?

Originally posted by OSUGrad2X View Post

So i was just skimming some movies to see if HDX upgrades of DVDs such as Godfather were worth it when i came across an interesting spec on the "more info" page and i'm hoping this is a mistake, can someone please confirm that they have 5.1 on any of these movies? On my PS3, they are showing as HDX with Dolby Stereo.

Training Day, Mission Impossible 3, Matrix Revolutions, Matrix Reloaded, Friday, Die Hard With a Vengeance, Die Hard, 300 and Batman Begins.

I dont think any of us is supporting D2D to get inferior products especially downgrading DTS-HD or Dolby HD audio to Stereo.

I sent a support ticket. If this is what we have to look forward to then i think i'm done converting especially since i mainly buy action/thriller/blow'em up movies.

Edit: Just watched some 300 and it was not cool in stereo, alot going on in the front stage. I can imagine what Matrix is going to sound like .

If you come across more movies you would like to see in a 5.1 audio format, please submit a support ticket. We'll be happy to request a new encode from the studio when possible.

Comment

You know thats great, but i would think some movies would be obvious i.e Matrix, 300, Lord of the Rings. Those movies should've came with 5.1 before The Wedding Planner.

Can i submit a ticket even for movies i havent converted yet?

Comment

Originally posted by dhatman View Post
        If you come across more movies you would like to see in a 5.1 audio format, please submit a support ticket. We'll be happy to request a new encode from the studio when possible.
        That's all well and good but if the studio's take years to re-issue the new encode then it really doesn't matter, does it?

Comment

Originally posted by dhatman View Post
          Well I'm not sure if your solution will work. This is what happened with my support ticket.

Thank you for contacting Vudu customer care.
          I researched those movies on our site and it appears as though those titles are only available in Stereo. If you go to the More Info tab on a movie page, you can see what Audio they are encoded in. These particular movies are only available in Stereo.
          Please contact us again for any further questions or concerns.
          Best regards,

Sergio
          VUDU Customer Care
          1-888-554-VUDU (8838)

Comment

So, I noticed that as of now, still no 5.1 is available for any of the matrix movies, even in HDX.

Comment

I have to say I agree with the other members on this one. I just started my D2D conversion and just happened to start with the first LOTR. The fact that Vudu accepted a major movie like this to come from a studio in Dolby Stereo completely blows me away. I would think that the market for a service like this is the customer that has obviously spent some time building their home theater experience and spent a considerable amount on their surround sound system. I wouldn't be very concerned if older movies were only in stereo but it's a complete deal breaker for me if they can't get all movies made within the last ten years in DD. I didn't spend countless hours running cables and spent hundreds of dollars on my surround sound system to listen to movies in stereo.

Comment

Is there a thread for tracking the list of titles that are encoded in stereo

I noticed the same with Fellowship of the Rings, Batman Returns
                I think Batman Begins too (not 100%)
                The other thing I am noticing is that the aspect ratio is altered on some marquee titles like Batman Begins (cropped), Dark Knight (IMAX scenes are not in 16:9)

Comment

I'm just starting D2D HDX upgrades too, and this is most disappointing.

The first two movies I converted were The Matrix and Sleepless in Seattle. Guess which one has 5.1 surround!

The original Sleepless in Seattle DVD only has 4 channel Dolby Surround, but somehow IT gets a 5.1 upgrade! Ridiculous!

The Matrix DVD has Dolby Surround 5.1! Where could the plain stereo track possibly come from? Did they screw up the Blu-Ray encodes as well for all of these Stereo only titles? I'm guessing not.

On a side note, I just noticed on the D2D printout for the Matrix Reloaded DVD I'm about to take in reads "The Matrix Reloaded [P&S] [2 Discs]". That's great if I can take a pan and scan DVD and get the widescreen HDX version for $5. But not so great the other way around, considering my DVD is WS.

P.S. UltraViolet is awesome! I just hope VUDU/Walmart/"The Studios" don't screw it up by skimping on us.

P.P.S. Regarding the LOTR movies, Fellowship shows Dolby Digital 5.1, Two Towers and Return of the King show Dolby Digital Plus 5.1, thankfully, as they are on my D2D list too!
                  Last edited by vubar; 01-01-2013, 09:04 PM. Reason: correction

Comment

My experience indicates that the bracketed items following the title have nothing to do with what you get from Vudu. From what others have said, it sounds like there may be multiple versions available on some titles, such as both a cinematic and director's cut, but Walmart employees don't usually care what you bring in, just make sure you add the one you want to your list.

Comment

Whenever I see a Pan & Scan version appear on my Disc-to-Digital list, I remove it. I think I still have DEEP IMPACT in my locker that I had converted to HDX and it's a cropped version of the film.

Comment

Originally posted by BJoffe View Post
                        Whenever I see a Pan & Scan version appear on my Disc-to-Digital list, I remove it. I think I still have DEEP IMPACT in my locker that I had converted to HDX and it's a cropped version of the film.
                        I don't think I have seen a single 4:3 film from my 100+ D2D conversions, if that is what you are concerned about...in fact one key reason I started was to get a more theatrical aspect ratio of some 4:3 DVDs I have from back when TVs were almost square, haha.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedaddict81 View Post
                          I don't think I have seen a single 4:3 film from my 100+ D2D conversions,
                          Maybe I'm not follwing, but Forrest Gump was originally released here as a 4:3 here. I was hugely disappointed, and insisted on a refund. They reencoded it to a 16:9 since. There are are films with the same story.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffpn View Post
                            Maybe I'm not follwing, but Forrest Gump was originally released here as a 4:3 here. I was hugely disappointed, and insisted on a refund. They reencoded it to a 16:9 since. There are are films with the same story.
                            Now that you mention it, I do recall that fiasco (and those who still want it in 2.4:1 instead of 1.77:1). My personal experience has been better, I recently added 'The Whole Ten Yards [P&S]', as listed on my printout, but it is on Vidu in 16:9 (I have all my printouts still, if more examples are desired). I am assuming that would be acceptable to most (I'm guessing most people on here are upset if they recieve a 4:3 movie at all nowdays). Maybe that will clarify my earlier post.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedaddict81 View Post
                              Now that you mention it, I do recall that fiasco (and those who still want it in 2.4:1 instead of 1.77:1). My personal experience has been better, I recently added 'The Whole Ten Yards [P&S]', as listed on my printout, but it is on Vidu in 16:9 (I have all my printouts still, if more examples are desired). I am assuming that would be acceptable to most (I'm guessing most people on here are upset if they recieve a 4:3 movie at all nowdays). Maybe that will clarify my earlier post.
                              Forrest Gump was re-encoded in 2.35:1 with 5.1 audio in November... it did take a bit of pain to get it all done correctly, though

In general, anything like "[P&S]" in a D2D title is just because that was in the DVD title/SKU info. VUDU generally only has movies in one aspect ratio, so whether the D2D DVD title said P&S or WS it will map to the same VUDU version (which is requested from studios as OAR whenever possible, but in the end is what gets provided).

Comment

Working...
                              X