Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Batman Begins wrong aspect ratio?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Batman Begins wrong aspect ratio?

My Blu-Ray is in 2.35:1 (maybe 2.40:1, I can't tell the diff between the two, it's so miniscule), but it show up on my Vudu (D2D conversion, not UV copy redemption) in 1.85:1. I submitted an issue months ago, literally 6-7 months ago, and no dice.

This also happened with Forest Gump for me, but they fixed it (it was showing in 1.33:1 pan and scan).

Anyone else having this problem?

Oh, and longtime reader, first time poster.

Re: Batman Begins wrong aspect ratio?

Sooo....nobody?

Comment

I think it's a bad assumption that a 2.35 BluRay will be a 2.35 Vudu stream. It's whatever Vudu gets from the studio that they give you. Blu Rays and streaming are not the same thing. In the case of Forrest Gump, I bet they thought (eventually) that a 1.33 is unacceptable in today's widescreen world. I think it'll take some convincing to get them to change a 1.85 to a 2.35.

Comment

Not necessarily, when they first re-encoded Forrest Gump, it was 16x9 or 1.77:1, but we notified them it was incorrect and they re encoded it again in 2.35:1

Comment

Misread your post and can't delete this one.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffpn View Post
            I think it's a bad assumption that a 2.35 BluRay will be a 2.35 Vudu stream. It's whatever Vudu gets from the studio that they give you. Blu Rays and streaming are not the same thing. In the case of Forrest Gump, I bet they thought (eventually) that a 1.33 is unacceptable in today's widescreen world. I think it'll take some convincing to get them to change a 1.85 to a 2.35.
            Heh, actually, with Forrest Gump (as you may remember) the *2nd* time the studio provided content it was 1.85:1 but stereo. The *third* time they finally gave us 2.35:1 and 5.1

In general Vudu's policy is to use the theatrical OAR whenever possible, but sometimes the studios have different groups mastering for BD vs digital distribution, etc. We will usually try to re-request a new format if it's the wrong one (though there is room for improvement on the encoding QC side in that regard...)

Just FYI in case you are interested, a bit of film trivia... often the 2.35:1 films you see as 1.85:1 in DVD or TV broadcast (less often in BD) are filmed "open matte" - i.e. on 35mm film at a more "squarish" AR. In the past it was just because of the 35mm film dimensions (and you'd sometimes see goofs like boom mikes in the open matte) but more recently they are actually framed by the director to be opened up for DVDs, etc, because for whatever reason many consumers hate black bars. So, anyway, the point is it's not the OAR (which I prefer, too) but sometimes you aren't "losing" anything in the picture, it's "extra info". Other times it is cropped, which is more annoying...

Comment

I happen to like my copy of Batman Begins. I prefer full screen HD. The 1:85 copy of Batman Begins looks great. I don't want you to change it to 2:35. I never liked any movie in 2:35. I was the one that put in the ticket on Forrest Gump to begin with because it was in pan scan. When it was finally fixed it was 1:85 and the picture filled the screen which I really like and then was changed to have the black bars top and bottom. I don't like black bars. Jake is right about most customers not liking the black bars as I work for a cable company and most customers want the picture to fill their TV screen.

I DON'T WANT the picture format changed on my copy of Batman Begins changed. It looks awesome the way it is. It does however need 5.1 surround added as the HDX and HD versions are Dolby Stereo.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandra View Post
                ... It does however need 5.1 surround added as the HDX and HD versions are Dolby Stereo.
                There are a ton of Vudu movies with an incorrect audio encode and worse yet some with DD5.1 on HD and Dolby Stereo on HDX which really doesn't make sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandra View Post
                  I happen to like my copy of Batman Begins. I prefer full screen HD. The 1:85 copy of Batman Begins looks great. I don't want you to change it to 2:35. I never liked any movie in 2:35. I was the one that put in the ticket on Forrest Gump to begin with because it was in pan scan. When it was finally fixed it was 1:85 and the picture filled the screen which I really like and then was changed to have the black bars top and bottom. I don't like black bars. Jake is right about most customers not liking the black bars as I work for a cable company and most customers want the picture to fill their TV screen.

I DON'T WANT the picture format changed on my copy of Batman Begins changed. It looks awesome the way it is. It does however need 5.1 surround added as the HDX and HD versions are Dolby Stereo.
                  Yes, but most TVs made in the last 5-10 years have a zoom feature. Most people who don't care about the OAR can zoom to get rid of the black bars, but there's nothing the rest of us can do to watch it in the OAR if the image information is not there. And Vudu stands apart from the competition by offering better video and audio quality than other streaming providers in order to be the preferred VOD provider for home theater enthusiasts (at least that was their niche when they started out).

Comment

Originally posted by MaxH View Post
                    Yes, but most TVs made in the last 5-10 years have a zoom feature. Most people who don't care about the OAR can zoom to get rid of the black bars, but there's nothing the rest of us can do to watch it in the OAR if the image information is not there. And Vudu stands apart from the competition by offering better video and audio quality than other streaming providers in order to be the preferred VOD provider for home theater enthusiasts (at least that was their niche when they started out).
                    As I advise customer's, yes you can use the zoom feature on your tv to get rid of the black bars by stretching the picture but you will degrade the signal. That is if your TV has a zoom feature which none of mine do. So not all HDTV's have a zoom feature. I bought all three of my HDTVS in the last 4 years. If it's made to fill the screen in the first place in HD there is no picture degradation.

Comment

If the studio (or Vudu) crops it before streaming so it fits your TV with no black bars, I'm sure it's essentially the same process that your TV does. There's only so much data or resolution to define a picture. If Vudu or the studios take the sides of a 2.35 away so that it fits your 16x9, I strongly doubt that they're adding resolution to the remaining picture. That same resolution is stretched across your entire screen, just the same as if you were using your zoom feature.

Comment

I disagree Jeff ...the picture with full screen HD looks normal but when you use a zoom feature it can look too big ..wording cut off, heads cut off etc or the picture can be distorted.

Comment

I guess that would depend on how your TV zooms. But I see your point. Still, it's a cropped image, however or wherever it's cropped.

Comment

Let me ask this then. For The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight rises. What aspect ratio are we getting with the video streams from Vudu? Cause if you notice when you watch them on Blu-ray when the scenes that were filmed in IMAX show, they fill the whole TV screen. Not on Vudu.

Comment

Originally posted by ydkjman View Post
                              when you watch them on Blu-ray when the scenes that were filmed in IMAX show, they fill the whole TV screen. Not on Vudu.
                              Don't they make TVs now that are different aspect ratios? I thought I've seen a TV that was wider than a 16x9. I think filling the whole TV screen is going to depend on what kind of TV you have.

Comment

Working...
                              X