Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

News from CES

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: News from CES

The only thing I will respond to is this...

Originally posted by rdodolak View Post
    So, blu-ray to digital will run both $2 and $5. I think he meant to say the DVD would cost $5 if you want an HD UV copy.
    I was a bit confused by this also. I am wanting to get Walmart to clarify what the fee should be for VHS to digital (both SD and HD). I paid $2 for SD and am thinking that $5 would be to upgrade to HD, regardless of whether you own the movie on DVD or VHS. Then again, did he mean to say that Walmart should have charged me $5 for VHS.

I don't know for sure, which is why I am asking Walmart to fill in the blanks.

Comment

Why stop now? You've done a fine job of filling in Walmart's blanks yourself, as you saw fit. Sometimes you have to read what isn't there, remember? That's what you said earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffpn View Post
        Why stop now? You've done a fine job of filling in Walmart's blanks yourself, as you saw fit. Sometimes you have to read what isn't there, remember? That's what you said earlier.
        I agree, I have done a fine job of sorting this all out. Thanks for acknowledging that.

Based on the way I understand it we can buy SD digital rights or HD digital rights to movies we own.

This article is the first time I saw something that "seems" suggests a different fee for VHS. A different fee based on the media type. While journalists generally do more and better research than you or I, and they get their information from the horses mouth...they do sometimes make mistakes...again, like you and I.

Either way, it does seem to confirm what I have been thinking...that we can convert our VHS tapes under the currently digital rights agreements.

I am sorry you guys have a problem with people like me who ask questions and try to make things better, at least from our perspective. I still don't see how converting VHS to digital is of any concern to you, but you are free to keep posting your remarks.

Comment

Originally posted by tfisher View Post
          This article is the first time I saw something that "seems" suggests a different fee for VHS. A different fee based on the media type.
          A different fee? Where is the original source which previously suggested what the VHS fee should have been?

I think I know the answer but if you have a source then let me know.

While journalists generally do more and better research than you or I, and they get their information from the horses mouth...they do sometimes make mistakes...again, like you and I.
          Don't make me laugh. That may have been true years ago but that isn't the case anymore. A lot of, although not all, journalists are more concerned about be the first to press then getting facts right to begin with.

Either way, it does seem to confirm what I have been thinking...that we can convert our VHS tapes under the currently digital rights agreements.
          So you admit you aren't sure but rather how you thought it should be.

I am sorry you guys have a problem with people like me who ask questions and try to make things better, at least from our perspective. I still don't see how converting VHS to digital is of any concern to you, but you are free to keep posting your remarks.
          Not at all. I have no problems with you asking questions or having a different perspective. However, it seems you've been very generous with stretching the T&Cs of the D2D program to fit your needs. Do you have an undisputable source to back up your claims that VHS is indeed included in the D2D program?

Comment

Originally posted by rdodolak View Post
            Do you have an undisputable source to back up your claims that VHS is indeed included in the D2D program?
            There's a listed price for DVDs and a listed price for Blu Rays. Show me a listed price for VHS as posted on a website, or a D2D sign at Walmart, and I'd be happy.

Comment

I do understand that all the websites show DVD and Blu-rays. I understand that. I understand that even the name implys 'disc' and not 'tape'. I was under the same impression for a long time. But as I started finding out what D2D really was, that is what we were really paying for and as I used D2D more and more I started to question whether or not other types of movie media could be used.

As for names...I stopped putting a lot of emphasis on names a long time ago. I work with a person named Sherry. Most people might think that any person with the name of Sherry is a woman. Well, this Sherry is a man. My point is that in this case we need to focus on what the digital rights are (which is what I've been saying for the past 2 days).

One place on the Vudu website is when you are adding a new title to your Disc to Digital list...it doesn't ask whether you will be taking a Blu-ray or a DVD to Walmart. It simply asks you to choose a video quality.

Anyway, we've done all the "debating" that can be done on the subject. I've done all I can do to show you guys my side of the argument. I do hope that some of you can at least see a little bit about where I am coming from, and I can definantly see why you guys are reluctant to accept it.

I am working on getting an "undisputable source" to provide us with clarification about all of this. It's my hope that I can find someone at Walmart Corporate or Vudu to post something in the forum that answers all these questions.

If we find out that the Director of Corporate Communications at Walmart was misquoted or something was taken out of context in the USA Today article then I will go back to my Walmart and have my 2 titles removed (actuall, I will probably just buy the movies on DVD). Then I will proceed to push to have VHS and other legal types of movie media added into the digital rights agreement (it may never happen, but what most people don't realize is that you don't know if you don't ask).

It may take a few days, but I will let the forum know what I find out.

Comment

I don't think anyone cares what you do, but when you make false and/or misleading statements on a public forum you have to be ready to be corrected. Suffice it to say that there aren't currently any licensing provisions for VHS because if there were there we could find a primary reference for it, not a second or third hand account.

Whether or not they have something in the works and are going to announce VHS is a different story. You can choose to l believe what you will about that.

Comment

One place on the Vudu website is when you are adding a new title to your Disc to Digital list...it doesn't ask whether you will be taking a Blu-ray or a DVD to Walmart. It simply asks you to choose a video quality.
                  Of course it does. It asks if you have the bluray or DVD, then gives you the price for SD or HD depending on which format you have. Have you even used this service before?

Comment

Originally posted by tfisher
                    I do understand that all the websites show DVD and Blu-rays. I understand that. I understand that even the name implys 'disc' and not 'tape'. I was under the same impression for a long time. But as I started finding out what D2D really was, that is what we were really paying for and as I used D2D more and more I started to question whether or not other types of movie media could be used.
                    And you started looking for anything that would give you answer you were looking for, even if that meant reading something that wasn't there.

As for names...I stopped putting a lot of emphasis on names a long time ago. I work with a person named Sherry. Most people might think that any person with the name of Sherry is a woman. Well, this Sherry is a man. My point is that in this case we need to focus on what the digital rights are (which is what I've been saying for the past 2 days).
                    Huh? That makes no sense to me. Let's say I lay a Disc on the table, and a VHS tape next to it. Then I ask you to bring me the disc. Which one will you bring to me? I don't care whether the Sherry you work with is a man or a woman. A disc is a disc and a tape is a tape. Names of people you work with have nothing to do with this discussion.

Originally posted by tfisher
                    If we find out that the Director of Corporate Communications at Walmart was misquoted or something was taken out of context in the USA Today article then I will go back to my Walmart and have my 2 titles removed
                    How altruistic of you. I think I'd just keep them, if it were me. I'm not saying I've never gotten what I wanted, even though I shouldn't have.

Comment

Originally posted by jonline View Post
                      I don't think anyone cares what you do, but when you make false and/or misleading statements on a public forum you have to be ready to be corrected. Suffice it to say that there aren't currently any licensing provisions for VHS because if there were there we could find a primary reference for it, not a second or third hand account.

Whether or not they have something in the works and are going to announce VHS is a different story. You can choose to l believe what you will about that.
                      I understand. However, I do not think I've made any false statements on this forum. It's true that I believe we can obtain digital licenses for VHS tapes. Some of my statements, or arguments to support my belief, may be misleading if you don't look at all my statements.

But like you, I still have a little doubt and I've made it very clear that I too would like to have more clarification and not just a third party account of what Walmart said. At the same time, I have been speaking from experience because a Walmart store did allow my transaction, whether they should have allowed it or not is the question...again, this doesn't make me the bad guy...I didn't hold a gun to their head or make any threats, I simply explained why I brought VHS tapes in and whatever they read in their notebook seemed to confirm what I was saying.

So can I assume that you are a person can give us a first hand account of digital license agreements and disc-to-digital since you state without reservation that there are no licensing provisions for VHS? If not then you are just as guilty as me at this point for posting "false statements". There is at least a little room for doubt, so let's wait for something more official than your interpretation, my interpretation, and two different articles on the web.

Comment

Show me a price list that states the cost for Blu Rays, the cost for DVDs, and the cost for VHS tapes.

Comment

So what you all are saying is.... MGM is going to be D2D now? lol

Comment

So can I assume that you are a person can give us a first hand account of digital license agreements and disc-to-digital since you state without reservation that there are no licensing provisions for VHS? If not then you are just as guilty as me at this point for posting "false statements". There is at least a little room for doubt, so let's wait for something more official than your interpretation, my interpretation, and two different articles on the web.
                            I can give a first hand account that no one so far has located any information from Walmart corporate thzat they allow VHS to be eligible for D2D.

The default position must be skepticism. I could, for example, argue that they allow digital conversion for merely having ever watched a movie in SD. You would not be able to find anywhere that says "watching movie in SD not elligible", however, that doesn't mean it is eligible. There is information about Disc to Digital and nowhere does it mention "merely having watched it" or VHS. QED.

Comment

Again, only one thing I see to waste time replying to:

Originally posted by jeffpn View Post
                              Huh? That makes no sense to me. Let's say I lay a Disc on the table, and a VHS tape next to it. Then I ask you to bring me the disc. Which one will you bring to me? I don't care whether the Sherry you work with is a man or a woman. A disc is a disc and a tape is a tape. Names of people you work with have nothing to do with this discussion.
                              What I am trying to say is that sometimes a name is just a name. You have to look at the underlying rule, law, or contract to find the rest of the story. I am not so dumb that I don't know the difference between a disc and a tape. I don't think the people who wrote those two articles are either. I think we just focused more on the details and not the name.

I've had enough for now...I will let you know what I find out. If anyone else is able to obtain more details then please keep us informed.

Comment

You are in absolutely no position to interpret the underlying rule, law, or contract. It is Vudu's position to determine the eligibility of media. I'm sure there were huge discussions with the studios to determine what media would and what wouldn't be eligible. I can't believe they didn't call you up personally when they were hashing all of this out. After all, how could a company ever be successful if they didn't ask for your input??

Comment

Working...
                                X