Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

News from CES

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

News from CES

Warner announced that 9 million account were created before the end of the year. Earlier in December, it was predicted that 8 million would be created by the end of the year, so it grew at a faster pace than expected. Hopefully this keeps up.

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/war...gistered-29260

Also, it has been reported that MGM will join Ultraviolet when vudu launches it's D2D at home service.

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/wal...tal-home-29264

A very good day for Ultraviolet news. Hopefully some more things are announced this week.

Re: News from CES

Originally posted by echopulse View Post
    ...it has been reported that MGM will join Ultraviolet when vudu launches it's D2D at home service.
    MGM has many great titles, this is great news!

I hope this will include Unitied Artists and Orion Pictures. I think MGM owns these studios and the rights to distribute their movies. That would give us some of Clint Eastwood's westerns, the first two Terminator movies, and Silence of the Lambs, and First Blood. I am also hoping that this will allow the Bond films to be added to D2D some day.

Comment

They hold full rights to United Artists, such as the James Bond films.

I'm less certain about certain other films that MGM distributes in the US like This Is Spinal Tap, as StudioCanal owns the rights to Embassy Pictures and a few other defunct producers.

Comment

Warner announced that 9 million account were created before the end of the year. Earlier in December, it was predicted that 8 million would be created by the end of the year, so it grew at a faster pace than expected. Hopefully this keeps up.

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/war...gistered-29260

Also, it has been reported that MGM will join Ultraviolet when vudu launches it's D2D at home service.

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/wal...tal-home-29264

A very good day for Ultraviolet news. Hopefully some more things are announced this week.
        Yeah, like the deployment of CFF........

Comment

Originally posted by canadien37 View Post
          Yeah, like the deployment of CFF........
          CFF is currently being tested in with business-to-business (or backend) software. A scheule from couple of motnhs ago said it's supposed to be released to client-facing companies (like Vudu) for them to start implementing next month I think.

Comment

Originally posted by sbuberl View Post
            CFF is currently being tested in with business-to-business (or backend) software. A scheule from couple of motnhs ago said it's supposed to be released to client-facing companies (like Vudu) for them to start implementing next month I think.
            thanks for that info.......

Comment

With all the reporting about the new at home D2D service, I have begun to question some of it. Some sites are reporting that any movie from participating studio's will be eligible. I doubt this is true, but I do hope they vastly increase the number of titles from what is currently being offered. Maybe they will since I think this is a pretty big way to encourage UltraViolet adoption. Here is an article from USAToday

http://www.usatoday.com/story/techno...p-ces/1817125/

According to the article, a wal-mart spokesperson says they let people bring in VHS tapes to convert as well. Perhaps someone should try it out. I don't have any VHS tapes myself, or I would.

Comment

According to the article, a wal-mart spokesperson says they let people bring in VHS tapes to convert as well. Perhaps someone should try it out. I don't have any VHS tapes myself, or I would.
                I asked about that a few weeks ago and got "beat up" for asking. I didn't think it was so far fetched to think that converting our VHS tapes (and other types of media) to digital was acceptable.

I finally just took a couple in with some of my DVDs to see what would happen. I explained that UltraViolet allows any title authorized by the studio and VHS should be compared to SD format and as long as my movie was on the list they should accept VHS as proof that I owned the movie. I told them that right on the UV website it says that we can store our DVDs & Blu-rays in the cloud with Walmart Entertainment's Disc-to-Digital program. Then I basically told them that I knew that those were VHS tapes but I could convert them to DVD in SD format and come back with both the tape and converted DVD, but I would rather save myself the time and hastle of all that and have you just verify that I own a copy of the movie. There were two people in the photo lab that day and they both agreed.

I have 6 more tapes that I am hanging on to until these titles are added to Vudu.

Comment

You're a heck of a salesman, tfisher. You successfully rewrote the rules set forth by Vudu (this time, and with no authority to do so). I'd count that as a bonus. If you encounter a WalMart associate who is more familiar with the program and denies your request, he or she would be correct. VHS tapes are not part of the program. There have been times I've sweet talked people to get my way when I knew I shouldn't, too. Just don't count on it every time, even if you did sucker someone before.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffpn View Post
                    You're a heck of a salesman, tfisher. You successfully rewrote the rules set forth by Vudu (this time, and with no authority to do so). I'd count that as a bonus. If you encounter a WalMart associate who is more familiar with the program and denies your request, he or she would be correct. VHS tapes are not part of the program. There have been times I've sweet talked people to get my way when I knew I shouldn't, too. Just don't count on it every time, even if you did sucker someone before.
                    I wonder why USA Today also agreed with me?

I took "movies" I own to Walmart and they did what they said they would do. The only step I may have omitted was first converting my VHS tapes to DVD since UV does say that DVD and Blue Ray are allowed. But at the same time, UV does NOT say that we CANNOT use VHS. Sometimes what is not stated is just as important as what is stated.

Comment

There is a price for converting DVDs, and there is a price for converting Blu Rays. Why would you assume any other media would be included? Vudu sets the rules for the service they provide, not anyone else. There is no price for Laser Discs, there is no price for Beta, there is no price for Hi-8. You can say what ought to be all you want, but it's Vudu's program, not yours. If you were able to sweet talk the naive associate to convert a VHS tape, good for you. Just don't expect it. What are you going to do if they drop the in store part, and have conversion done at home, like Best Buy is doing? I'd like to see you cram a VHS tape in your DVD-ROM!!

Comment

There is a price for converting DVDs, and there is a price for converting Blu Rays. Why would you assume any other media would be included? Vudu sets the rules for the service they provide, not anyone else. There is no price for Laser Discs, there is no price for Beta, there is no price for Hi-8. You can say what ought to be all you want, but it's Vudu's program, not yours. If you were able to sweet talk the naive associate to convert a VHS tape, good for you. Just don't expect it. What are you going to do if they drop the in store part, and have conversion done at home, like Best Buy is doing? I'd like to see you cram a VHS tape in your DVD-ROM!!
                        I think that is where the misunderstanding is, with the fee. What exactly is the $2 fee for? It's my understanding that when you buy a new UV title that comes with a code then you already have "digital rights" to that movie. For UV titles available for D2D the studio has agreed to allow us to purchase those "digital rights" for movies we've previously purchased for $2. The fee has NOTHING to do with the media being converted from. It's a fee we pay for ADDITIONAL rights to the movie we already own....digitial rights.

There's an additional fee to upgrade the format from SD to HD.

They will not drop the in-store D2D because there are many discs (and other media of course) that cannot be used in an at-home program and not everyone has a DVD drive in their computer.

Comment

Originally posted by tfisher View Post
                          It's a fee we pay for ADDITIONAL rights to the movie we already own....digitial rights.
                          IF you own the movie on appropriate media. You certainly do take a lot of liberties here. I don't see Vudu or UV talking about any types of media other than Blu Ray or DVD. Why would you assume you can extrapolate your own rights?

Comment

IF you own the movie on appropriate media. You certainly do take a lot of liberties here. I don't see Vudu or UV talking about any types of media other than Blu Ray or DVD. Why would you assume you can extrapolate your own rights?
                            Would you say that as an owner of a VHS tape you would have the right to watch that tape? Would you say that as an owner of the VHS tape (and based on what copyright laws say and don't say) you have the right to make backups of you VHS tape? If so, then would you say that making a DVD copy of that VHS tape for your own personal use is legal?

My answer to these questions is "yes". Since my VHS is in SD format then I should be able to pay the $2 fee to have digital rights to my SD movie.

You are correct that they do not mention other types of media. Nowhere do they say that these are the only types of media that can be used. In other words, they don't say we cannot buy digital rights to SD VHS tapes or HD VHS tapes.

Why would I assume I can extrapolate my own rights? I don't think I am. I am simply exercising my rights as the owner of these VHS movies and buying the additional digital rights that the industry is offering.

Why would you want to hastle me for asking for something? Why does it really matter to you? Let Walmart and Vudu answer for themselves! In fact they have...it's perfectly fine to convert VHS to digital as seen by the USA Today article and as seen by by local store here. If it wasn't then they would have told me "no"...but they didn't.

Sure, other stores may have a differnet reponse...but if the customer is persistent enough then I bet they too will take your $2.

Okay...enought said by me on the subject because I know that I can buy the digital rights to VHS movies.

Comment

Originally posted by tfisher View Post
                              Okay...enought said by me on the subject because I know that I can buy the digital rights to VHS movies.
                              Only because you've been able to sweet talk the associate.

It doesn't matter what you say, and what USA Today says (link please). Vudu, UV, and the studios are the only entities that define the extent of what is to be eligible for the D2D program. Period. Just because you slipped one (or nine, or whatever) past them, doesn't entitle you to rewrite the terms of the program.

Comment

Working...
                              X