Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

disc to digital... I don't get it.. are the discs unique?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: disc to digital... I don't get it.. are the discs unique?

The studios could implement different disc ids for retail vs. rental discs to prevent renters from using rental copies on the D2D program. In fact the rental only discs which already exist to some extent would already have to have different disc ids. The studios would just have to go all in on rental copies for all titles to deter this though.

Comment

Right, all pressings from the same master would get the same calculated ID. Different content = different ID, no matter how small the difference is between the discs.

Comment

Originally posted by rdodolak View Post
        The studios could implement different disc ids for retail vs. rental discs to prevent renters from using rental copies on the D2D program. In fact the rental only discs which already exist to some extent would already have to have different disc ids. The studios would just have to go all in on rental copies for all titles to deter this though.
        The problem I see with that is that you may own a used disc that is a rental copy. Stores like Blockbuster will sell off their DVDs and I think that if someone buys a used DVD they should be allowed to use it for D2D.

Comment

Originally posted by tfisher View Post
          The problem I see with that is that you may own a used disc that is a rental copy. Stores like Blockbuster will sell off their DVDs and I think that if someone buys a used DVD they should be allowed to use it for D2D.
          Rental-specific DVDs are usually sold to rental stores for little/no profit by the studios in exchange for rental revenue sharing, etc. So I wouldn't expect this to be supported. Then again, you may have luck in store with those, as long as "PROPERTY OF BLOCKBUSTER" isn't stamped all over it

If you think about it, buying any used DVDs should not automatically entitle you to a UV right (for example, with UV DVD purchases there is a code that can only be used once, usually by the original purchaser).

Comment

It could be in their agreements which ones are authorized, and it would be very easy to block discs that were specifically pressed for rental only if they wanted to.

This is where the human factor kicks in with in-store purchase.

Comment

Originally posted by Jake View Post
              Rental-specific DVDs are usually sold to rental stores for little/no profit by the studios in exchange for rental revenue sharing, etc. So I wouldn't expect this to be supported. Then again, you may have luck in store with those, as long as "PROPERTY OF BLOCKBUSTER" isn't stamped all over it

If you think about it, buying any used DVDs should not automatically entitle you to a UV right (for example, with UV DVD purchases there is a code that can only be used once, usually by the original purchaser).
              Then things have changed, because about 18 years ago rental stores actually paid 2 or 3 times the cost of a regular retail version of a movie and the rental store didn't share any revenue. This was back in the day of VHS...I don't remember any specifics about DVDs.

I have converted 4 or 5 movies that I purchased from Blockbuster. Is it illegal for rental stores to sell their used DVDs? If not, then I have the right to buy it and watch it...that (in my opinion) should include a digital locker.

Comment

I don't think a "rental copy" has ever cost more than a retail copy, since providing rentals does not require permission from the studios. It's the doctrine of first sale. Once you buy a physical item you can do whatever you want with that physical item including lend it out.

The rental discs come into play because companies like redbox agree not to rent out new releases for a month or so in order to get cheaper pricing on discs. My understanding is that blockbuster does not agree to this and buys retail copies anyway so its not every company that would have special discs.

Comment

Originally posted by jonline View Post
                  I don't think a "rental copy" has ever cost more than a retail copy.
                  Like I said, VHS rental tapes did, at least some of them did. I know this because my wife use to work for a video rental store. DVDs may not have cost any more than regular retail, I really don't remember because they didn't have DVDs at their store back then.

Comment

Perhaps there was before one of the landmark copyright/first sale cases? The studios fought like dragons over human flesh back in the late 70's to early 80's before losing to that precedent. I was still in diapers at the time so that's all I can offer about it.

Comment

Perhaps there was before one of the landmark copyright/first sale cases?
                      This was about 18 or 19 years ago. But I would expect Blockbuster and other rental companies to still be paying a higher price for rental copies. Not that this really matters. I don't see that it makes a difference how much Blockbuster paid for the DVD that I bought from them and want to watch in the cloud.

Comment

I don't think a "rental copy" has ever cost more than a retail copy, since providing rentals does not require permission from the studios. It's the doctrine of first sale. Once you buy a physical item you can do whatever you want with that physical item including lend it out.

The rental discs come into play because companies like redbox agree not to rent out new releases for a month or so in order to get cheaper pricing on discs. My understanding is that blockbuster does not agree to this and buys retail copies anyway so its not every company that would have special discs.
                        I think it's the other way around company-wise. BB definitely participated in this (about the time they started having 100+ copies of each new release in one store). Redbox didn't agree to it with some studios, which is why they have been known to send employees out and buy out all of the retail copies in a store.

In fact, some retailers (including Walmart and Target) started limiting the number of a DVDs purchased to prevent them from buying out the whole inventory...

Comment

Once you buy a physical item you can do whatever you want with that physical item including lend it out.
                          Sure you can. Try buying a movie on whatever format you like, put advertisements in the paper that you'll show it on a 50' screen, and you'll charge far less than what movie theaters charge, at only $5 per person. Or try airing it on your own television station. The studios would shut you down as soon as they found out. Where do you get the idea that "Once you buy a physical item you can do whatever you want with that physical item?" That is not true at all! Lending it to someone is an entirely different story. Put money into the equation, and the rules change dramatically.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffpn View Post
                            Try buying a movie on whatever format you like, put advertisements in the paper that you'll show it on a 50' screen, and you'll charge far less than what movie theaters charge... The studios would shut you down as soon as they found out.
                            The way businesses handle this is they charge for something else, not the movie. For example, we have a vegan restaurant that has a pizza and a movie night each Sunday. They say that they charge for the pizza and drinks and the movie is free. What they have told us is that as long as they don't collect money for the movie they are safe, and to further protect themselves they NEVER advertise what the movie will be. They say that they always make enough money to cover the expense of buying or renting the DVD (actually, I think they use Blue Ray).

Comment

I'm sure they'll be okay doing that as long as the studios don't find out. It's one thing for a campground or a school to show a movie, but when establishments like bars start doing it, they've crossed the line. Give me the name of the restaurant, and I'll see if I can dig up a phone number of the proper legal department. We'll find out who's right.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffpn View Post
                                I'm sure they'll be okay doing that as long as the studios don't find out. It's one thing for a campground or a school to show a movie, but when establishments like bars start doing it, they've crossed the line. Give me the name of the restaurant, and I'll see if I can dig up a phone number of the proper legal department. We'll find out who's right.
                                When the studios decide to sell movies on any form of media the content of that media is protected under copyright laws. However, the consumer owns the media itself and they also have rights to that media. Copyright protects the studio in that we cannot COPY the contents (except for personal use which is what we're doing with D2D). However, I can watch the disc all day every day and I can share it with family and friends. If I also own a restaurant or bar than I can watch it there too...and share it with a few fiends. If that were illegal then it would be illegal for you to by a disc and your family to watch it with you.

Studios are also protected from having their content shown on television stations. And, they "may" also be protected from someone charging admission to a showing of their movies. That would be like copying discs and selling them for profit. We cannot do that. But you can show a movie at an event as long as you are not charging for the viewing of that movie.

Comment

Working...
                                X