Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Are there really limitations and restrictions on our digital movie locker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are there really limitations and restrictions on our digital movie locker?

I was on the UltraViolet website earlier and I was reading some of the fine print and it seems to say that streaming is only available for a year when we buy UV digital copies and that additional fees could be charged if you try to watch a movie after one year. This totally contradicts the intended purpose of UV and the statements they make about UV?especially where they talk about ?better value?!

What?s next, having your DVD or Blue Ray disc stop playing after 1 year?

Nowhere on Vudu?s site do they indicate that there will be ANY limitations or restrictions when we are converting disc to digital. My understanding at the time I purchased a digital copies of over 300 movies is that I can steam these movies forever. If Vudu is going to charge me AGAIN to watch my movies then that is very bad news for me and I have just wasted hundreds of dollars trying to make my family?s DVDs available in the cloud.

I know that UV is really growing in popularity right now, but the movie industry can be greedy at times. Could they see this as a new way to nickel and dime us to death? Could these limitation and restrictions cause UV to fail in the near future? I guess we?ll have to wait and see.
    It?s really a sad world we live in these days. There seem to be more laws, regulations, and provisions to protect movies than unborn babies.

So what are your thoughts? It could be that Vudu doesn?t plan to limit or restrict our access to our movie library, but if Vudu is going to impose additional fees don?t you think they should be obligated to tell us? Do you think it?s right for UV to tell us about all the wonderful benefits of UV and then have restrictions that in direct conflict with the benefits?

http://www.uvvu.com/uv-offer-details.php

Re: Are there really limitations and restrictions on our digital movie locker?

Read this answer in a UV FAQ: http://www.uvdemystified.com/uvfaq.html#5.1

UV is over a year old, and I have UV movies that I've had for more than a year, and streaming and downloading on all of them are still completely free.

Comment

I must be a sucker. I presumed that once I purchase an movie or TV file from Vudu or CinemaNow -- or when I redeem a UV code from a blu-ray or DVD -- I would "own" that movie in my locker from that point on -- possibly until I die. I never realized the "content providers" or streaming services could charge us fees for future streaming or downloading of the file.

If this does indeed start happening, I believe it will kill this fledgling new industry. Yet another reason to keep my discs, just in case.
      Last edited by nycomet; 01-10-2013, 09:08 AM. Reason: fixed typo

Comment

No need to panic. The one year of streaming is just a minimum required by DECE. vudu has been around for 4 years now, and movies purchased when it started are still available to be streamed. Flixster has promised at least 3 years. And as long as you download your movies in the CFF before those 3 years are up, you will be able to keep them forever. I don't see the services charging more for streaming anytime soon, if ever. They will want to keep you around, to buy new movies as they come out.

Comment

Originally posted by echopulse View Post
          No need to panic. The one year of streaming is just a minimum required by DECE. vudu has been around for 4 years now, and movies purchased when it started are still available to be streamed. Flixster has promised at least 3 years. And as long as you download your movies in the CFF before those 3 years are up, you will be able to keep them forever. I don't see the services charging more for streaming anytime soon, if ever. They will want to keep you around, to buy new movies as they come out.
          Vudu has been around longer than Disc-to-digital. Remember that purchasing a movie from Vudu is different than the digital locker. If they tried to deny us access to a movie we bought for $14 and up that would be a totally different story! But even though $2 doesn't sound like much money, I have spent HUNDREDS of dollars to convert my movie collection to digital.

And this MAY NEVER happen, but the fine print is still there and the movie industry is still in the business of trying to make money any way they can.

Comment

It is an interesting topic. We buy movies from Vudu and stream them. All we need on our end is appropriate hardware and an ISP. There is a cost to Vudu to allow a movie to be streamed. Bandwidth is not free. It costs Vudu (or whoever) real money every time we stream a movie. You could compare it to ATMs. People complain that they shouldn't have to pay money to withdraw their own money. But what about the ATM? It didn't just materialize there. It's not free to make. It costs somebody money to buy it, maintain it, and operate it. It may be your money, but you're using someone else's equipment and service to get your money. That said, of course I hope there's never an additional fee to view a movie I bought from Vudu.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffpn View Post
              It is an interesting topic. We buy movies from Vudu and stream them. All we need on our end is appropriate hardware and an ISP. There is a cost to Vudu to allow a movie to be streamed. Bandwidth is not free. It costs Vudu (or whoever) real money every time we stream a movie. You could compare it to ATMs. People complain that they shouldn't have to pay money to withdraw their own money. But what about the ATM? It didn't just materialize there. It's not free to make. It costs somebody money to buy it, maintain it, and operate it. It may be your money, but you're using someone else's equipment and service to get your money. That said, of course I hope there's never an additional fee to view a movie I bought from Vudu.
              I agree that there is a cost associated with making a movie available and keeping it available. A cost associated with steaming and support issues. And other costs hidden from the consumers.

While the $2 fee we all pay to conver the SAME movie may more than pay from some of the initial costs incurred by Vudu (assuming they keep the whole $2) that probably doesn't cover them for a lifetime. But they would have know this before offering this service at the current price, right? They would have been obligated to makes these potential future fees or restrictions very clear when we purchased our digital copies, right?

I really think that the revenue is coming more from purhcases and rental fees.

I also think Vudu should consider other membership based services to keep them going over the long haul. Things like a streaming service that competes with Hulu and Netflix, game rentals and access to games through consoles, and something that Disney does today, allowing people to replace damanged DVDs for a fee that is less than buying the DVD from retail.

While we're only talking about Vudu here, it is also relevant to mention that our video library seems to be controlled by the UV site. Therefore, it seems logical that if UV were to do something that prevents Vudu from seeing that we own a movie that we would be restricted from streaming it.

Comment

Once CFF hits I will download all my movies and store them in a manner that I can stream them from my house to wherever I want, my plan all along. I doubt Vudu would ever charge a per-item streaming fee to access UV content, though I could envision a 'small' annual fee ($20-$50), perhaps waived with purchase of a certain number of full-price titles, to cover continuing expenses of streaming.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedaddict81 View Post
                  Once CFF hits I will download all my movies and store them in a manner that I can stream them from my house to wherever I want.
                  What is "CFF"?

Comment

I think there are many things we do not know about Vudu, and it's future plans, but I don't think they would ever charge us to watch our own movies. They are in the midst of making a ton of money with everyone jumping on board, and converting personal collections. I personally now have over 900 titles in just my movie collection, and plan on continuing to build it up. The bottom line in my opinion is this, no one knows what the future will hold but we can't stop supporting Vudu, or it will go under. Personally I like the fact that I don't have to through hundreds of dvds to find the one I want, or worry about storing them. Anyway, this is just my opinion, and I will probably catch flack from someone, but that's the beauty of a free society.

Comment

While I wouldn't mind paying a small annual membership fee, the thing is that they have already sucked us in with the service as it is today.

Here is the other side of the "cost" argument. As acknowledged earlier, there is a "cost" associated with hosting this site and all that. But much of the overhead is going to be there regardless. If they starting charging fees that most people feel are unfair and this was to cause people to abandon VUDU then what is the cost of having all the movies sitting in their servers and having all the bandwidth available and not being used? There is a cost to nonuse as well.

Here is another thought I had...another idea for Vudu to help fund their site. They could do what many websites do and add some advertising to their site. If they were to add a short commercial (like Hulu does) that would air each time we connected then they could draw revenue from that. Heck, they could even charge us a small monthly or annual fee to turn off that advertising. Just a thought, but I am sure that they are already brainstorming and working on their own ideas if financials is a concern for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred65
                        I will probably catch flack from someone, but that's the beauty of a free society.
                        No flack from me, but I'm sure I can come up with something, if you'd like!!

Comment

Originally posted by Fred65 View Post
                          I think there are many things we do not know about Vudu, and it's future plans, but I don't think they would ever charge us to watch our own movies.
                          I agree. But as I stated earlier, the UV website states the opposite and I think many of the UV titles that appear in my Vudu movie library is because they appear in our UV digital locker. So if UV was to do something in the future that limits my access to my movies then I would expect that my access through Vudu, CinamaNow, M-Go, and any other UV partner to also be effected by that. Think about it, if you use another service to add a new UV titles that appears in your UV account it automatically appears on Vudu. So what would happen if they were to delete a movie from UV? Wouldn't you think that it would be removed from Vudu and everywhere else?

We've talked about Vudu's overhead here, but what additional overhead is there for UV? What is there operational expenses and how are they funded? These are equally important questions if UV plays as an important role as I think they do.

Comment

I hate to see a forum specific to Vudu (and I participate in another specific forum as well that doesn't advertise) go the route of advertising on the forum. Ugh.

The beauty of it is that Vudu already knows how to make money, and our brainstorming for increasing their revenue is irrelevant. I'd hate to think that the only way Vudu has to come up with ideas to make more money is to read our unsolicited advice.

Count me out for commercials. I am dead against that!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jeffpn View Post
                              I hate to see a forum specific to Vudu (and I participate in another specific forum as well that doesn't advertise) go the route of advertising on the forum. Ugh.

The beauty of it is that Vudu already knows how to make money, and our brainstorming for increasing their revenue is irrelevant. I'd hate to think that the only way Vudu has to come up with ideas to make more money is to read our unsolicited advice.

Count me out for commercials. I am dead against that!!!
                              Then you can pay the annual fee I mentioned to block all the commercials

I have no doubt that Vudu has some good people in their company or it wouldn't be such a great service today. But I would also like to think that we can help to contribute new ideas that can shape the future of this service through this forum. I think we've already seen a little of that happen.

And again, this thread is more about having access to our digital locker forever, as it was intended and it's in response to something I read on the UV website (I posted the link in my original post). You were the first person to bring up the cost of providing this service, so it's only fair that we provide a counter argument to that by offering suggestions or examples of how these services could be funded without continuing to charge us to stream movies that we own.

And I think there is more to the big picture than just Vudu regarding any possible limitation and restrictions. This could just be a case of smoke and no fire. We may never see any additional charges to watch our movies years after we add them and perhaps they will remain on the UV website forever. I don't know, but I thought starting a conversation about this concern might helpful (or entertaining at best). I guess the real question is what would happen to our movies that appear today in Vudu if UV was to remove them from our account on their site?

I am not really in support of any fees to join Vudu. Doing so would probably cause Vudu to lose much of their rental business (how ever much that is). Who wants to pay a membership fee only to have to pay more money to buy or rent the content? But I would support additional membership services that we could optionally join up for like a television streaming service like Hulu or a service that allows us to download games to X-box and other game consoles. This is really the kind of thing I am talking about...adding new services and providing us with more entertainment options for a fee that would both pay for these new services and help to provide revenue to sustain what they have in place today.

Comment

Working...
                              X