Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

VUDU AT HOME: DISC-TO-DIGITAL Bugs?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: VUDU AT HOME: DISC-TO-DIGITAL Bugs?

Originally posted by tsken02 View Post
    Since Vudu licensed Gracenote, maybe she's trying to push you to go to them for issues.
    What I find odd is that Gracenote has issues with all these discs yet Rovi has no trouble at all with identifying them properly.

Comment

I think that's to be expected. Rovi and Gracenote are competitors and have their own methods and databases.

Comment

Originally posted by lostinva View Post
        I think that's to be expected. Rovi and Gracenote are competitors and have their own methods and databases.
        Which is understandable to some point. But Gracenote seems to have all the issues where as Rovi seems to have no trouble identifying those same discs. Nor do I recall coming across a disc that Rovi couldn't identify out of my library. So, based on my limited observations I have to say Rovi >>>>> Gracenote.

Comment

Some more Disc-to-Digital failures... though at least these let me pick the correct movie and submit it for "manual verification" (which seems like another name for circular file, frankly).

DVD
          097361398747 - Van Wilder: Freshman Year Unrated - Manually verifying

Blu-ray
          097361429342 - Grease - Manually verifying
          794043144530 - Seven - Manually verifying

Comment

Tried to due the Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked BlueRay because it is on the list when you search the site part but then when you scan the DISC it says that you are not able to convert it because it is not on the list

Comment

Originally posted by rdodolak View Post
              Which is understandable to some point. But Gracenote seems to have all the issues where as Rovi seems to have no trouble identifying those same discs. Nor do I recall coming across a disc that Rovi couldn't identify out of my library. So, based on my limited observations I have to say Rovi >>>>> Gracenote.
              Indeed. On the other hand, it's disappointing that Cinemanow and Flixster do not offer D2D on Blu-ray discs, even though Rovi supposedly supports these according to their web site.

I do work in my spare time as a database moderator at mymovies.dk (collection apps and WMC interface) that involves this very thing, and I can say from my experience it's generally a fairly trivial process to confirm if a disc is incorrectly matched and resolve it. In a nutshell, there's a couple things to look at such as what specific releases are associated with the disc (is there a black sheep in the list?). It's not an exact science, but usually there's enough data points to make an educated guess with a high degree of certainty.

Makes me wonder what the exact process is for Vudu/Gracenote and why it seemingly takes an eternity for it to happen.

Comment

Well I did a search but could not find if anyone else posted this...

Has anyone successfully converted the dvd for The Fifth Element? All my other movies worked so far with the new in-home beta but Fifth element tells me it has trouble verifying the disc.

Comment

Originally posted by OSUGrad2X View Post

Has anyone successfully converted the dvd for The Fifth Element? All my other movies worked so far with the new in-home beta but Fifth element tells me it has trouble verifying the disc.
                  Yes, it was one of the first DVDs I converted to HDX.

Comment

I also converted during this 50% off promotion from a blu-ray.

Comment

I think the disc read errors might be Windows 8 related. For DVD conversions, I was trying to use my Lenovo G580, which has windows 8. Every disc had the error message most are getting. I then tried out those same DVDs on my HP desktop drive which runs Windows 7 and had 0 issues.

Comment

I have not been able to convert The Fifth Element. I just tried again. My edition is a 2-sided DVD (Widescreen/Fullscreen), and while I have gotten some of my 2-sided disks to work, this one still says "There was en error verifying this disk".

Comment

Originally posted by JayJB View Post
                          I have not been able to convert The Fifth Element. I just tried again. My edition is a 2-sided DVD (Widescreen/Fullscreen), and while I have gotten some of my 2-sided disks to work, this one still says "There was en error verifying this disk".
                          I've noticed that with almost every two-sided disc I have.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxH View Post
                            I've noticed that with almost every two-sided disc I have.
                            Perhaps it's because they're older versions, and the databases don't have them? (pure speculation on my part).

To expand on this...I've been an applications developer for over 30 years, and spent a lot of time debugging. A few things come to mind:

1) Matching may be done on more than just title...without seeing the table schemas I can't know for sure
                            2) DRM. The older disks have no copy protection. Perhaps the app can't tell if it's a legitimate copy.

Again, this is all speculation.

Comment

Tried adding "The Magnificent Ambersons" DVD to my VUDU account today, but it gave me the error:
                              "There was a problem while verifying this disc"

Comment

Originally posted by jman33 View Post
                                I think the disc read errors might be Windows 8 related. For DVD conversions, I was trying to use my Lenovo G580, which has windows 8. Every disc had the error message most are getting. I then tried out those same DVDs on my HP desktop drive which runs Windows 7 and had 0 issues.
                                I don't think this is a Windows 8 issue. I was able to convert 48 blu's/dvd's using an external blu ray and laptop with Windows 8. It's still very hit or miss on many of the movies as listed in this thread because I got disc read errors on the 2 sided DVD of As Good As It Gets. I even tried uninstalling but it still won't work.

Comment

Working...
                                X