Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Keychest Shutdown - UV, iTunes, Amazon Left

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keychest Shutdown - UV, iTunes, Amazon Left

LINK:
    CLICK HERE

Report by Jeff Kleist of HomeMedia Magazine

With Warner's reported success in pre-release via UV of The Hobbit, their commitment to the UV platform is solidified, making Disney the last holdout and the Disney Keychest alternative having been shut down.

A quote from the article;
    "UltraViolet is at a turning point right now, and whether it evolves to become something more or stagnates as an iTunes alternative remains to be seen. But at the very least, Warner is betting hard on the format."

The UV platform has become the clear frontrunner in the delivery of copyright permissions for streaming providers. This is similar to the HD-DVD vs Bluray battle five years ago when bluray took the lead for good and became the technical standard.

Both the industry and consumers have their best interest served when a single technology is utilized for content delivery.

In this case, UV has won and has become the single technology in this new delivery medium for purchased movie industry content. There is even some discussions about VOD “video-on-demand” running their release dates in parallel to movie theater release dates.

...and now citizens, we can return to our lives knowing the big purple UV logo will be ever present from now on.

Re: Keychest Shutdown - UV, iTunes, Amazon Left

I so wish Disney would just hurry up and come across to UV already..

Comment

tick-tock.

Quote from Feb.23rd Economist:
      "According to Mike Dunn of Fox, by 2015 Americans will have 861m internet-connected devices, such as games consoles, tablets, smartphones and laptops, up from 560m in 2012. That translates into every American owning 2.7 devices."

The trend lines are clear. They will have no choice soon enough and will have to swallow their pride and join the rest or face the wrath of their shareholders.

Comment

This is the first report I have heard that Keychest was being shutdown. When did this happen? I know they shutdown Disney Movies Online, but they are still advertising Disney Movies Anywhere, which is supposed to be it's replacement.

http://disney.go.com/movies-rewards-more/

Comment

Originally posted by echopulse View Post
          This is the first report I have heard that Keychest was being shutdown. When did this happen? I know they shutdown Disney Movies Online, but they are still advertising Disney Movies Anywhere, which is supposed to be it's replacement.

http://disney.go.com/movies-rewards-more/

The author does not report his source. My guess is it is well known to have occured and he did not feel a citation was needed.

Comment

When/if Disney finally joins UV it will be a slow process. They will probably do what MGM seems to be doing, just letting new titles to be UV enabled.

I think MGM will probably give us some a lot more titles before the end of the year, but I'm not like a lot of people here that seem to be mad that they haven't joined like they owe it to us to just let all of their titles go.

Disney will probably not allow most of their titles to join Disc to Digital IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by woodrowjr View Post
              When/if Disney finally joins UV it will be a slow process. They will probably do what MGM seems to be doing, just letting new titles to be UV enabled.

I think MGM will probably give us some a lot more titles before the end of the year, but I'm not like a lot of people here that seem to be mad that they haven't joined like they owe it to us to just let all of their titles go.

Disney will probably not allow most of their titles to join Disc to Digital IMO.

You are right. However, once Disney Motion Pictures puts the effort into releasing new titles onto VoD via UV, the question is why they would not choose to begin to add historical titles from their library. After all, it would be a source of revenue for them on titles that are seeing little to no activity to release them into this new VoD medium. Once an archived title is put into UV, there is really no reason it can not be a D2D title too.

So the big jump is for a studio to decide to get into to VoD market. Once they choose UV (which all studies save disney have done) it is a very small step to start to add their archived titles too.

Comment

Yes, I agree. Once they announce UV support, I think within a few months they will start to add catalog titles. I think they might do their own disc to digital program though, with higher prices.

Comment

If they allow a disc to digital it will be on their terms and probably be at a higher cost. Also I believe they would be very selective in terms of what titles they would allow.

They probably would be less selective in their titles under the Touchstone brand however.

Although I hope for them to just release all of their titles, I think Disney knows that their titles command a premium and people will pay more/again for their titles.

Comment

Originally posted by echopulse View Post
                    Yes, I agree. Once they announce UV support, I think within a few months they will start to add catalog titles. I think they might do their own disc to digital program though, with higher prices.

I could see a "Bring your DVD's to the Disney Store" type of campaign. You could be right on that idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Walter-S_North_Carolina View Post
                      So the big jump is for a studio to decide to get into to VoD market. Once they choose UV (which all studies save disney have done) it is a very small step to start to add their archived titles too.
                      It is a very small step but I believe Disney will see D2D as lost revenue. When you look at D2D where does that revenue go (I really don't know).

I think the initial studios allow D2D to get UV going. It's the first step for the consumer to ask, "why do I need these discs?" Once most of the collection is available digitally then the studios hope that the consumer will just buy their titles digitally which I would imagine they make a higher direct margin on. If not now then eventually.

A lot of the ground work has been laid out for Disney. I think Disney could come in and say "hey we will join UV, but we are not going to allow our titles to be on D2D, the consumer will just have to repurchase, such as they do now when a new format emerges (ie DVD to blu-ray)."

Comment

Originally posted by Walter-S_North_Carolina View Post
                        I could see a "Bring your DVD's to the Disney Store" type of campaign. You could be right on that idea.
                        I could certainly see this as a possibility, with higher prices than we have right now. Also could be a trade in program as well, instead of us keeping our discs....

Comment

If they allow a disc to digital it will be on their terms and probably be at a higher cost. Also I believe they would be very selective in terms of what titles they would allow.

They probably would be less selective in their titles under the Touchstone brand however.

Although I hope for them to just release all of their titles, I think Disney knows that their titles command a premium and people will pay more/again for their titles.

There are legions of rat worshipers in this country who believe if the source is not the mouse, it is not worth their time. These folks are the dead weight the Disney brand carries and when the company chooses to move in a direction, they know they will command the loyalty of these devotees.

It is a sad commentary on the reality of our society. Sad too, because I am ashamed to say I am one of the legions of rat worshipers too. They make such darn good movies.

Aladdin - one, two, and three
                          Toy story - one, two, and three
                          Beauty and the Beast - one, two, and three
                          Little Mermaid - one, two, and three
                          Pirates otC - one through four

The list is all but endless. There is also the newly added Star Wars franchise to this list now that Disney owns it.

They are simply the sigil bearer for American family entertainment and as such, command a market premium.

Comment

It is a very small step but I believe Disney will see D2D as lost revenue. When you look at D2D where does that revenue go (I really don't know).

I think the initial studios allow D2D to get UV going. It's the first step for the consumer to ask, "why do I need these discs?" Once most of the collection is available digitally then the studios hope that the consumer will just buy their titles digitally which I would imagine they make a higher direct margin on. If not now then eventually.

A lot of the ground work has been laid out for Disney. I think Disney could come in and say "hey we will join UV, but we are not going to allow our titles to be on D2D, the consumer will just have to repurchase, such as they do now when a new format emerges (ie DVD to blu-ray)."

There is no new revenue for a D2D transaction. However, making a title from the catalog available into the VoD medium via UV does open the title up for new revenue from the new medium. The D2D is a side benifit of a title being in the UV system.

Comment

I do not think that Wal-mart get's all of the revenue from Disc to Digital. If they did the studio's would not approve it. I bet the studio's get at least 70% just like with other digital goods. If you upgrade 50 DVD's that's 70% of 250 dollars from movies you already own. I bet tons of people would have that many to convert just from Disney.

Comment

Working...
                              X