Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Keychest Shutdown - UV, iTunes, Amazon Left

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Keychest Shutdown - UV, iTunes, Amazon Left

Originally posted by echopulse View Post
    I do not think that Wal-mart get's all of the revenue from Disc to Digital. If they did the studio's would not approve it. I bet the studio's get at least 70% just like with other digital goods. If you upgrade 50 DVD's that's 70% of 250 dollars from movies you already own. I bet tons of people would have that many to convert just from Disney.

you may be right. I had always assumed the nominal fee of $2/$5 was to compensate for administrative expense associated with making a title available on a VoD medium. How that amount is sliced up may be as you suggest and may in fact generate some new revenue for the studio.

Comment

Speaking of revenue, this is a bit off topic but how does Vudu even make money from UV? I mean we buy movies from retail stores and so what and just redeem codes through vudu. Then our UV members stream through vudu without purchasing.

They cant be making money from the chance one of us will buy a movie from them...right?? Of the 10 million UV members i wonder how many purchased from vudu?

Comment

Originally posted by OSUGrad2X View Post
        Speaking of revenue, this is a bit off topic but how does Vudu even make money from UV? I mean we buy movies from retail stores and so what and just redeem codes through vudu. Then our UV members stream through vudu without purchasing.

They cant be making money from the chance one of us will buy a movie from them...right?? Of the 10 million UV members i wonder how many purchased from vudu?
        I am sure they make revenue from sales as well as rentals. I can see a future where we have to pay VUDU a fee for the right to steam our UV titles. VUDU was around and survived before UV so they must create enough revenue.

Comment

I think the point is that UV creates new customers for vudu, who in turn purchase from the site. I purchase as many titles EST as I can. I'm pretty sure the bandwidth is a few pennies per stream. So you would have to stream your movies many times before it would cost them.

Comment

Originally posted by echopulse View Post
            I think the point is that UV creates new customers for vudu, who in turn purchase from the site. I purchase as many titles EST as I can. I'm pretty sure the bandwidth is a few pennies per stream. So you would have to stream your movies many times before it would cost them.
            I agree UV does create new customers, but it is a non-traditional business model. I think VuDU just needs to hold serve until it becomes more common to buy movies/TV digitally instead of buying them in the store.

Comment

Originally posted by woodrowjr View Post
              I agree UV does create new customers, but it is a non-traditional business model. I think VuDU just needs to hold serve until it becomes more common to buy movies/TV digitally instead of buying them in the store.

It is a pretty standard business model. For instance, a convenience store makes no money on the sale of gasoline. However, enough people come in and buy slurpies and coffee to keep the employees paid from the retail profit.

In the case of Vudu, it is not that different. In both cases, the customer is paying for convenience. What brought them to the "store" in both cases is a commodity purchase.

Comment

It was encouraging to see that Disney did an early digital release of Wreck It Ralph. Though it was (and still is) priced at $22.99, I am sure the studio is closely evaluating pre-disc-release sales figures of the title.

Let's also recall the end-of-year digital movie sale that Disney offered on multiple streaming service providers. That was another "test" to gauge the revenue potential of streaming digital movies. There were actually two such sales: one featured Disney-Pixar titles; the other Disney titles.

We need to keep monitoring and watch for a REAL breakthrough to come from Disney: the first new blu-ray (and/or DVD) release that includes an iTunes and UV digital copy -- or an on-disc advance promotional trailer that announces an upcoming UV release.

Chances are Disney will issue a press release stating it has joined the Ultraviolet consortium well in advance of its initial UV release. But it wouldn't surprise me if there was no such press release from the House of the Mouse. The announcement, when/if it comes, may be sourced from DECE (Digital Entertainment Content Ecosystem) instead of from Disney.

The odds of Disney becoming a UV supporter appears to be gaining momentum. Will it ever really happen? We all have our own opinions... and only time will tell what the final outcome will be.

Comment

I think the first test will be when they release a blu-ray that comes with a vudu digital copy. They did that with Toy Story 3, but that was a long time ago, and a limited release. Mine didn't have it.

Comment

Apparently, the reports of Keychest's death have been greatly exaggerated.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBang View Post
                      There's a lot of news reporting about UltraViolet that hasn't come true. Amazon becoming a retailer, Common File Formatbeing launched, Redbox offering UV, Two New retailers launching last December, UV promotion of 10 free movies with a new HDTV, and MGM joining Disc to Digital, and Fox dropping iTunes copies are just a few I can think of. Hopefully some of it will still come about, even if later than expected.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBang View Post
                        I am curious.

Does anyone believe that in five years the Walt Disney Company's Key Chest system will still be active and the UltraViolet system run by DECE will be struggling to survive?

IMHO, this question has been answered over a year ago when the industry ditched iTunes and ran wholesale to UV for digital copy redemption. At the time, the reports of the Keychest shutdown came from industry reporters who were tracking the studio's actions.

The fact it is back on the table in some form to me is indication of a last breath attempt to stem the tide, which by my estimation is futile at this point. Perhaps two years ago this play could of been successful.

Disney has triple digits in their catalog offering and one studio participating.

UV has five digits and 85 consortium members.

This event has made it into the Wikipedia timeline of events in the history of Ultraviolet:

LINK:
                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UltraViolet_(DRM)#History

I suspect that is all it will ever succeed in doing and in less then a years time end up becoming UV compliant.

Comment

Yes, Walter, we get it, you hate Disney and hope they fail. You can stop already. Your bias is showing through perfectly well.

Disney has triple digits in their catalog offering and one studio participating.
                          Disney is not just Disney, they are Touchstone as well. They are now Marvel and Lucas too. They are Pixar as well.

They aren't exactly hundreds, though they aren't necessarily 5 digits worth of films either. They are however some of the more desirable films for many potential buyers and as such there are plenty of buyers that will buy their wares, even if it means taking the same kind of leap of faith some (like me) had to make when buying into Vudu and UV.

iTunes may not be everyone's favorite, but it does work. I seriously hope that Disney gets an app out that grants Android users access to their titles, as well as Amazon users. I am not holding my breath, but I don't think they are stupid. They want to be able to sell their content and they know that hitching their wagon entirely to Apple and iTunes won't get them access to a lot of their (potential) customers.

They may yet hitch to Vudu but not to UV. They could hitch to the folks with the bullseye on them if they choose to. They could make deals with multiple providers and still ignore UV entirely. That doesn't mean they won't succeed at what they want to do.

Meanwhile, your forecast -- for now -- was about as good as a weatherman's. Or maybe a politician who wants to claim she told us all about Ukraine before current events have finally come to pass. Too early, and not yet close to reality. Maybe in the future you can look back and zing in an 'I told you so' but for now, well you are coming off pretty much like someone that should be running around looking for more tinfoil for your hat.

Comment

I'm not opposed to more apps which lead to more consumer choice. We already have Vudu, Target Ticket, M-Go, Cinema Now, Flixster, etc., to name a few, and I'd welcome even more. What I'm opposed to however are unnecessary apps that further fragment the digital copy realm. What consumers want is a single unifying and underlying infrastructure for digital copies. With DMA you have to use their app and you're required to use another piece of hardware. How many apps and pieces of hardware does a consumer need to stream ALL of their titles?

I want to be able to stream all of my titles from one, single app on the hardware of my choice. I don't want that dictated to me by a studio. The current UV ecosystem gives consumers a much better choice. All of the titles, well a majority of them based on the supporting studios, are housed in the UV cloud but the user gets to choose which app they prefer to use and on what hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by Walter-S_North_Carolina View Post
                              I am curious.

Does anyone believe that in five years the Walt Disney Company's Key Chest system will still be active and the UltraViolet system run by DECE will be struggling to survive?

IMHO, this question has been answered over a year ago when the industry ditched iTunes and ran wholesale to UV for digital copy redemption. At the time, the reports of the Keychest shutdown came from industry reporters who were tracking the studio's actions.

The fact it is back on the table in some form to me is indication of a last breath attempt to stem the tide, which by my estimation is futile at this point. Perhaps two years ago this play could of been successful.

UV has five digits and 85 consortium members.

This event has made it into the Wikipedia timeline of events in the history of Ultraviolet:

LINK:
                              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UltraViolet_(DRM)#History

I suspect that is all it will ever succeed in doing and in less then a years time end up becoming UV compliant.
                              UV better still be here in 5 years or there will be a lot of PO'd consumers, but DMA and UV are not in a death match where only one will survive. If in a year or 2 DMA is struggling they can always join UV or integrate with other providers and launch new apps.

Comment

Originally posted by terpfan1980 View Post
                                Yes, Walter, we get it, you hate Disney and hope they fail. You can stop already. Your bias is showing through perfectly well.

Disney is not just Disney, they are Touchstone as well. They are now Marvel and Lucas too. They are Pixar as well.

They aren't exactly hundreds, though they aren't necessarily 5 digits worth of films either. They are however some of the more desirable films for many potential buyers and as such there are plenty of buyers that will buy their wares, even if it means taking the same kind of leap of faith some (like me) had to make when buying into Vudu and UV.

iTunes may not be everyone's favorite, but it does work. I seriously hope that Disney gets an app out that grants Android users access to their titles, as well as Amazon users. I am not holding my breath, but I don't think they are stupid. They want to be able to sell their content and they know that hitching their wagon entirely to Apple and iTunes won't get them access to a lot of their (potential) customers.

They may yet hitch to Vudu but not to UV. They could hitch to the folks with the bullseye on them if they choose to. They could make deals with multiple providers and still ignore UV entirely. That doesn't mean they won't succeed at what they want to do.

Meanwhile, your forecast -- for now -- was about as good as a weatherman's. Or maybe a politician who wants to claim she told us all about Ukraine before current events have finally come to pass. Too early, and not yet close to reality. Maybe in the future you can look back and zing in an 'I told you so' but for now, well you are coming off pretty much like someone that should be running around looking for more tinfoil for your hat.
                                Your rant aside, I will chalk you up to the "DMA will win" side. I think the Vegas odd makers would put your bet into the long shot category and my bet that Disney Studios will join DECE as a safe bet.

For the record, I am a Disney fan. I own over 100 their titles in my physical collection. I have held season passes to Walt Disney World for three years running until my family moved from the state and have enjoyed stays on the property countless times. I consider their content to be some of the best Holywood has to offer and their brand to be a symbol of quality which I value.

Comment

Working...
                                X