Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

DVD Sales in Decline / VoD Sales UP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: DVD Sales in Decline / VoD Sales UP

I looked for Tomb Raider, but it was out of stock at two BB stores I frequent. It's still on my list for a Blu-ray upgrade.

There are three versions of Salt. The Deluxe Blu-ray should have them all. The beginning is a little harsh, so be warned.

Comment

Originally posted by craiggers88 View Post
      "Hey Vudu and UV: we are beating the system by owning the movies for 1 day, converting it, and reselling it".

I am going to facepalm again... why would you boast about "I sell them to do more D2D!"? That is a slap in Vudu's face telling them right out front that you are manipulating the system.

Mine are still in the many boxes out in my shed because I know that idiots like these are going to ruin it for everyone. I don't want to know how they will make us re-verify the movies we have purchased, but I know that it will come soon enough with idiots like these. When that happens, I will laugh my *** off.

You gain the digital right for movies you personally own

You are basically saying that ROMS are legal for SNES games that you had as a kid, but no longer own. Because you temporarily "owned" it, does not give you the right to claim a digital copy (at such a discounted price) indefinitely.

People really need to smarten up. Seriously guys, come on.

EVEN IF YOU DO SELL IT, WHY BRING IT UP? YOU ARE ONLY BRINGING ATTENTION TO YOURSELF AND GOING TO MAKE A TERRIBLE NEW FEATURE THAT EVERYONE WILL HATE YOU FOR.

So again, why?

"Ha ha, I sell them after paying $2 to convert it compared to $9.99! I just saved $8! Now to sell this (probably not even stamped) disc, and buy more! Derp!"

I am sure Vudu LOVES hearing that, ESPECIALLY on THEIR OWN forum! *claps hands*

Whoa!! Calm down buddy! Please let me clarify, the only ones that I'm selling are the DVD's, which I have paid the $5 to upgrade, which is very few maybe 20 movies. The majority of my collection is bluray, which I pay the $2 and then throw in a box in my attic. Not getting rid of my blurays as I spent way to much money on them. But I have no need to keep the few DVD's that I've already paid to upgrade. And Wal-Mart has stamped every single one of them. I don't borrow my neighbors movies and convert them. I have kept every one of my digital receipts from vudu.

And I doubt vudu would go as far as removing the titles from my account or anyone else's for that matter. God forbid somebody broke into your house and stole all of your movies!!! You no longer would own the physical copy so I guess vudu would have to remove all your movies right.......at least that is your logic, since you would no longer would own the physical movie... I think some people just need to calm down a little.

Comment

Originally posted by tsken02 View Post
        I looked for Tomb Raider, but it was out of stock at two BB stores I frequent. It's still on my list for a Blu-ray upgrade.

There are three versions of Salt. The Deluxe Blu-ray should have them all. The beginning is a little harsh, so be warned.
        FYI, there are two Tomb Raider films. There is the original in 2001, and then the Cradle of Life in 2003. The first one made its money back. The sequel did not.

As for hot female leads, Halle Berry in Catwoman - 2004 has to be at the top of the list. That movie deserved a sequel, but sadly, it did not make its money back either. OMG, she was so hot in it. Damn!!! Plus, she just had command of the role.

Comment

Originally posted by RobertG View Post
          Whoa!! Calm down buddy! Please let me clarify, the only ones that I'm selling are the DVD's, which I have paid the $5 to upgrade, which is very few maybe 20 movies. The majority of my collection is bluray, which I pay the $2 and then throw in a box in my attic. Not getting rid of my blurays as I spent way to much money on them. But I have no need to keep the few DVD's that I've already paid to upgrade. And Wal-Mart has stamped every single one of them. I don't borrow my neighbors movies and convert them. I have kept every one of my digital receipts from vudu.

And I doubt vudu would go as far as removing the titles from my account or anyone else's for that matter. God forbid somebody broke into your house and stole all of your movies!!! You no longer would own the physical copy so I guess vudu would have to remove all your movies right.......at least that is your logic, since you would no longer would own the physical movie... I think some people just need to calm down a little.

...try to sell that line to the RIAA & MPAA.

I work for an ISP. I can assure you, calm down is not in their vocabulary.

Mr. craiggers88 is quite right. They can trace an I.P. address to a user account and issue a subpoena w/o ever lifting a finger, without a moment's hesitation, and without an ounce of remorse.

Comment

Originally posted by Walter-S_North_Carolina View Post
            ...try to sell that line to the RIAA & MPAA.

I work for an ISP. I can assure you, calm down is not in their vocabulary.

Mr. craiggers88 is quite right. They can trace an I.P. address to a user account and issue a subpoena w/o ever lifting a finger, without a moment's hesitation, and without an ounce of remorse.
            Thanks for the info Walter. I was not aware until this thread that I did have to keep my physical movies. I guess its a good thing I did keep 99% of them. If vudu or anyone else (RIAA or MPAA) needs me to send them pictures I can definately do that. Worst case scenario I guess I have to repurchase the few titles that I did actually sell.

I do have one question though. If someone breaks into my house and steals my movies what happens then? Would vudu or whoever actually remove all my movies? I only ask because 5 years ago my house was broken into. I'm pretty sure it was kids because they only stole my X-Box and nothing else, but I would really like to know as I don't live in the best neighborhood in the world.....

Comment

Originally posted by RobertG View Post
              Thanks for the info Walter. I was not aware until this thread that I did have to keep my physical movies. I guess its a good thing I did keep 99% of them. If vudu or anyone else (RIAA or MPAA) needs me to send them pictures I can definately do that. Worst case scenario I guess I have to repurchase the few titles that I did actually sell.

I do have one question though. If someone breaks into my house and steals my movies what happens then? Would vudu or whoever actually remove all my movies? I only ask because 5 years ago my house was broken into. I'm pretty sure it was kids because they only stole my X-Box and nothing else, but I would really like to know as I don't live in the best neighborhood in the world.....

We can discuss hypothetical's all day till we are blue in the face.

The fact remains. It is ill advised to admit to a potential copyright infringement on a public forum.

The RIAA & MPAA have invested a large amount of CapEx into bleeding edge technology to protect against copyright infringements.

Just one example; there are torrent spiders which log ip addresses and then through a frighteningly effective automated algorithmic mechanism, breach notifications are sent to obtain relevant information to complete subpoenas.

A few hours after an offender thinks they got a free copy of something, they may have a subpoena with their name on it already in the process of being served and they do not know until a knock comes on the door a few days later.

To think they would just gloss over someone admitting to copyright infringement in a public forum is poor judgment in my estimation. They are very strict in their enforcement, as is their right under the law of our country.

The UV system itself is yet another bleeding edge technology meant to protect against copyright infringements. It should be understood as such and respected.

We receive the benefit of this corporative technology by having our entertainment collections available at our fingertips and safeguarded from harm. I for one, am thankful it is.

Comment

Many of the DVD's I used in the D2D program I bought used from half.com. Sure, they were cheap, but I still paid for them. And no, I haven't added any I did not own (no rentals or loaners) I may not keep them, but why should I have to. I use vudu as a replacement for discs. I no longer want to have to keep shelves full of useless objects. Many of these movies I have purchased on VHS, then DVD, then Blu-ray. And about 40 of my DVD's were stolen. So I have already paid for most of these films more than once, sometimes more than twice. Getting movies cheap makes up for my loss.

Before D2D and UltraViolet, I would torrent a lot. In addition to 200 DVD's, I had 200 downloaded movies on a hard drive. Since UV came along, I have deleted 95% of them. The rest aren't available on UV. (Disney)

And the program that monitors peer to peer networks and collects IP addresses of file sharer's aren't doing it to send subpoenas. They are doing it to send copyright infringement notices that may slow down their internet access after the 4th or 5th warning.

Comment

Originally posted by echopulse View Post
                  Many of the DVD's I used in the D2D program I bought used from half.com. Sure, they were cheap, but I still paid for them. And no, I haven't added any I did not own (no rentals or loaners) I may not keep them, but why should I have to. I use vudu as a replacement for discs. I no longer want to have to keep shelves full of useless objects. Many of these movies I have purchased on VHS, then DVD, then Blu-ray. And about 40 of my DVD's were stolen. So I have already paid for most of these films more than once, sometimes more than twice. Getting movies cheap makes up for my loss.

Before D2D and UltraViolet, I would torrent a lot. In addition to 200 DVD's, I had 200 downloaded movies on a hard drive. Since UV came along, I have deleted 95% of them. The rest aren't available on UV. (Disney)

And the program that monitors peer to peer networks and collects IP addresses of file sharer's aren't doing it to send subpoenas. They are doing it to send copyright infringement notices that may slow down their internet access after the 4th or 5th warning.
                  Breach of AUP (acceptable use policy) is one thing and may lead to a choke as a hand slap. Those are native tools ISPs run.

Crossing paths with an RIAA or MPAA torrent spider is something different. They absolutely obtain subpoena info.

I agree it is awkward to keep on hand media that has been converted. However, I keep on hand copies of my insurance riders. The paper is a legal document which gives me rights to make claims, should I need to. Filing away DVDs is no big effort in my mind. If that is my part of the deal, I am happy to do so.

Comment

I am only aware of a few people (less than a few hundred) that have gotten hit with lawsuits for sharing files. If it were more widespread, it would be reported much more often on TorrentFreak.com.

They actually use a system called the Six Strikes system in the US, and it has not been used for legal action yet, and probably won't, except in extreme cases.

Comment

I am only aware of a few people (less than a few hundred) that have gotten hit with lawsuits for sharing files. If it were more widespread, it would be reported much more often on TorrentFreak.com.

They actually use a system called the Six Strikes system in the US, and it has not been used for legal action yet, and probably won't, except in extreme cases.

Mr. EP,

we are coming at this from different view points. You, as a torrent user and me, as someone who works in a large ISP who fields AUP breaches and RIAA/MPAA subpoena requests. I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.

when there is a knock on your door,....well, enough said.

-Walter

Comment

I haven't downloaded any torrents in over a year.

Comment

-

Comment

I haven't downloaded any torrents in over a year.
                            Not all torrents are illegal for example Linux is available as a torrent and some individual software developers distribute through torrents. With that said I have never installed/run torrent software on any my computers or smartphone. I am not dumb enough to try torrent a movie when I could go see it in theaters for $5 and bring my own food ,rent via VOD, RedBox, or Netflix and possible have to restore my computer from getting a virus. I also don't want to waste my upload speed.

Comment

Originally posted by craiggers88 View Post
                              Are you really that stupid? Now the FBI can have probable cause to search your IP for your past history, lmao. People need to STFU and just not say anything.

He wasn't talking about torrents, he was talking about you claiming that it is perfectly fine to sell your movies.

Even though you have never been caught on the internet does not mean that you never WILL be caught.

Just words of the wise...
                              Stop it with your condescending tone! I don't need you to protect me. I work in the IT industry myself. Most ISP's in the US keep IP logs for a maximum of 6 months. Even so, I have changed ISP's several times since then, since I have moved 4 times. And even if they kept them longer, no one would find anything. Ever heard of a VPN?

Furthermore, where did I say it's okay to sell my movies? Of course it's not. I said I give them away, but I didn't say to whom. If I need to prove ownership, I can easily get them back for that purpose since I know the person well. But I would hope that vudu would not stoop to that level. To distrust your own customers is not a good business practice. I would consider that an invasion of privacy.

It is my hope actually, that law enforcement will crack down on piracy! I wish they would force the ISP's to block the major torrent sites like they do in Europe. The piracy is devaluing their product. If people are unable to pirate, that will drive them to legitimate digital movie stores, like Vudu. If the number of customers increase, they will have to increase the selection of their catalog. and hopefully encourage more studio's to support UV!

Comment

I don't agree with the sudden panic over the word "presently".

This strongly appears to mean "presently" at the time of the D2D conversion. It isn't the type of word used to impose a continuous requirement.

If there was some requirement to maintain physical possession after conversion, the terms would spell that out in much greater detail.

Comment

Working...
                                X