Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

DVD Sales in Decline / VoD Sales UP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Sales in Decline / VoD Sales UP

The below article from NASDAQ.com reports DVD sales in the United States fell 5.5% in 2012 to $8.5 billion.

During the same period, VoD sales rose 28.5% to $5.1 billion.

Trend lines are pretty clear.

Article:
    CLICK HERE

This time next year will likely see more dollars transacted for VoD then on DVD (aka "Packaged" media).

In my mind, it just makes good sense. After all, who wants a bookshelf full of physical media when instead there can be the same content available at your fingertips and safe from harm?

Re: DVD Sales in Decline / VoD Sales UP

I'm still hedging between the physical copy and the digital copy (but leaning more towards digital lately). I like the physical copy because of the better audio in most cases but I like the digital copy because of the reliability (assuming you always have a good broadband connection) and availability. For instance, I recently tried to watch a movie (Stir of Echoes) that I have on BD that I had only watched once before. It worked fine the first time but this 2nd time, the disk would not play on 4 different devices (2 players and 2 PCs) that I tried it on. The disk was shot I guess so I went into Walmart the next day and got the Vudu D2D version and watched it that way. I spent $2.00 for the conversion, otherwise I would have had to spend another $10, $12, $14, etc. to get another physical copy of a movie that I had only watched once.

Comment

Originally posted by lujan View Post
      I'm still hedging between the physical copy and the digital copy (but leaning more towards digital lately). I like the physical copy because of the better audio in most cases but I like the digital copy because of the reliability (assuming you always have a good broadband connection) and availability. For instance, I recently tried to watch a movie (Stir of Echoes) that I have on BD that I had only watched once before. It worked fine the first time but this 2nd time, the disk would not play on 4 different devices (2 players and 2 PCs) that I tried it on. The disk was shot I guess so I went into Walmart the next day and got the Vudu D2D version and watched it that way. I spent $2.00 for the conversion, otherwise I would have had to spend another $10, $12, $14, etc. to get another physical copy of a movie that I had only watched once.

I am curious. What do you do with your physical media (BluRay or DVD) after it gets converted via D2D onto Vudu?

I keep mine in boxes in the garage.

Comment

Interesting. I wonder how much of this total was for digital rentals, vs. digital sales, vs. subscription streaming services. It makes a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by echopulse View Post
          Interesting. I wonder how much of this total was for digital rentals, vs. digital sales, vs. subscription streaming services. It makes a difference.

I give my DVD's away. Don't need them anymore. I keep the blu's though.

The $5.1 billion number also includes every time someone pays $20.00 to pay-per-view on DirecTV for a movie. That is considered VoD.

These are becoming known as electronic "sell-through" services and are inclusive of VoD (Vudu & iTunes), SVoD (NetFlix & Amazon Prime), and the cable/satellite pay-per-view. All are un-packaged media and are getting lumped together for aggregate forcasting. The numbers of them broken apart are most likely available from the DEG (Digital Entertainment Group), but the breakout was not mentioned in the article.

Comment

Originally posted by Walter-S_North_Carolina View Post
            I am curious. What do you do with your physical media (BluRay or DVD) after it gets converted via D2D onto Vudu?

I keep it in a closet just in case I need it in the future.

Comment

I also keep mine in a closet but yesterday i was trying to watch V for Vendetta but it kept stumbling on my HTPC. I couldnt figure it out since i NEVER had a problem before playing my BD mkv rips for the past 3yrs. One thing was interesting that my CPU was running at 80% during playback and my PowereDVD has reached EOL. So i said forget it and loaded up Vudu. Watched 10min then i started getting network error over and over. So i said hey i'm gonna watch this movie! Then went to the closet opened the box and pulled the disc out and slided it in the PS3. After this, i'm sure i'm sticking with my discs.

Comment

Originally posted by OSUGrad2X View Post
                I also keep mine in a closet but yesterday i was trying to watch V for Vendetta but it kept stumbling on my HTPC. I couldnt figure it out since i NEVER had a problem before playing my BD mkv rips for the past 3yrs. One thing was interesting that my CPU was running at 80% during playback and my PowereDVD has reached EOL. So i said forget it and loaded up Vudu. Watched 10min then i started getting network error over and over. So i said hey i'm gonna watch this movie! Then went to the closet opened the box and pulled the disc out and slided it in the PS3. After this, i'm sure i'm sticking with my discs.

Natalie Portman is over the top HOT in the bedroom scene where she is dressed in a mini skirt and pony tails.

Comment

Originally posted by Walter-S_North_Carolina View Post

I sell mine on ebay. (Only the ones that I have uprgraded from SD to HDX, about 20) I then use the funds to purchase more movies to convert D2D It's like a never ending cycle. It's worked out great so far, 535 movies and counting.

Comment

-

Comment

Why does vudu care? They still get their cut. The studio's still get their cut. It's a lot better than downloading it from a torrent. That is what UV was designed for. To take the place of piracy.

Comment

I would read the small... itty bitty fine print in that thingy called the Terms of Service

http://www.vudu.com/termsofservice.htm

It's not just there collecting dust you know...

"
                        Disc to Digital:

You may have the opportunity to covert your physical Blu-ray? and DVD discs into electronic copies that may be stored and viewed through the VUDU Service via the Disc to Digital program. The Disc to Digital program is only available for physical Blu-ray? and DVD titles that have been legitimately purchased and are presently owned by you. VUDU reserves the right to refuse conversion of a title, or to limit or cancel your access to a previously converted title, if VUDU reasonably believes the title does not meet, or no longer meets, the purchase and ownership criteria set forth in this paragraph.

"

I see we already have some rule breakers. I hope your Forum information doesn't match your Vudu information... Why would Vudu Care? They can easily say "thank you for making our job easier" on weeding out those abusing the system, but we should honor the ToS that we signed up to. "VUDU reserves the right to limit or cancel your access to a previously converted title if VUDU has reasonable believe that you no longer own said media."

Going back to the topic at hand, is "DVD" counting for "Physical Media" i.e. Bluray + DVD, or just Bluray? I've honestly stopped buying new and used DVD's (unless it's something I cannot pass up since there is no Bluray for it yet [Lemony Snickets])

I am still a sucker for physical media, but I love the "freeness" of having my (83%) movie collection available to be taken with me anywhere. I want to unpack my Bond Movies and upload them... aarrrrrgggggghhhhhh!! MGM, join UV dang it!

Comment

craiggers88,

Hello. Below is the VUDU Terms of Service concerning D2D.

"You may have the opportunity to convert your physical Blu-ray and DVD discs into electronic copies that may be stored and viewed through the VUDU services via the Disc to Digital program. The Disc to Digital program is only available for physical Blu-ray and DVD titles that have been legitimately purchased and are presently owned by you. VUDU reserves the right to refuse conversion of a title, or to limit or cancel your access to a previously converted title, if VUDU reasonably believes the title does not meet, or no longer meets, the purchase and ownership criteria set forth in this paragraph."

Thank you for bringing this clause to our attention. To be honest, I had never read it before. It is clear VUDU does expect customers to maintain ownership of the physical media they convert via the D2D program.

I can say from professional experience, organizations like the RIAA and MPAA take copyright infringement breaches with a level of seriousness and fervor consumers would most likely be surprised to have to recon with. I work for a large ISP and do know the topic is no small matter for the entertainment industry.

-Walter

P.S.:
                          I am looking forward to the day when the Star Wars domino will fall along with all other's that have a Disney logo on their case. Looking through my collection the other day, easily 3/4th of the media in my boxes of children's titles have that damn Disney DVD logo.

Having the shelf space freed up in the house and instead being able to have my collection readily available from a remote is a service I gladly pay the low conversion fee for. Plus, I have the option of upgrading my DVD titles to 1080p for an additional $3.00. This is a great deal in my estimation.

If I understand correctly, UltraViolet is facilitating a low D2D price to encourage a fast acceptance of the technology. We as early adopters are able to take advantage of such a great offer.

It is like when an new store opens and has a dramatic sale to attract customers to come in and look around.

To me, $2.00 for a lateral conversion and $5.00 for an upgraded conversion seems either at cost or subsidized to some extent. Nothing like the raking over the coals routinely done by the satellite and cable companies to their customers who may want to watch a title 3 weeks before it is available on home media by charging them $20.00 to watch it once. I don't know how cable and satellite executives sleep at night charging so much money for their pay-per-view services.

Also, I too have not bought "Packaged Media" in many moons and doubt I ever will again. For me, the clock stopped in about 2010 for physical media purchases.

Comment

I'm still buying Blu-ray when I can get them at discount. I've looked at the pricing on VUDU, and it's far cheaper to buy the media and go D2D than it is to just buy the digital copy.

For example, Patriot Games is $18 on VUDU. The Blu-Ray is $10 on Amazon this week.

I picked up Blu-ray copies of Clear and Present Danger, Patriot Games, Sum of All Fears, and Salt this week. I used gift cards from points to buy them, so I only paid for the D2D. Since I don't have a Blu-ray drive, I need to make the trek to the local WM, but you can't beat the price. I get lots of points from my travel that I can use on Amazon or BB.

Comment

Originally posted by tsken02 View Post
                              I'm still buying Blu-ray when I can get them at discount. I've looked at the pricing on VUDU, and it's far cheaper to buy the media and go D2D than it is to just buy the digital copy.

For example, Patriot Games is $18 on VUDU. The Blu-Ray is $10 on Amazon this week.

I picked up Blu-ray copies of Clear and Present Danger, Patriot Games, Sum of All Fears, and Salt this week. I used gift cards from points to buy them, so I only paid for the D2D. Since I don't have a Blu-ray drive, I need to make the trek to the local WM, but you can't beat the price. I get lots of points from my travel that I can use on Amazon or BB.

I noticed the same thing. I have decided that the $2.00-$3.00 I can save, doing this is not worth the hassle. Some others may feel differently, but for me it is a lot of time/work to save only a few dollars. Of course if you get the media for free via CC points, that is a different equation.

P.S.:
                              Salt looks like a good movie. I added it to my Wishlist. Angelina Jolie makes my toes curl. I am taking in a Lara Croft title for D2D on Friday.

Comment

Working...
                              X