Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

UV question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UV question

If I purchase a movie on vudu that is currently not UV-enabled and at some later date that same movie is enabled with UV, will this be applied to the movie I already purchased so that my movie is uv activated?

Re: UV question

More than likely it will. I've had past movies/tv episodes that initially were not UV compatible but later on were activated for UV and added to my UV locker w/o having to do anything. I'm sure it may be a case-by-case basis but I haven't had a problem with Vudu doing it. Cinemanow on the other hand is a different story.

Comment

Thanks for the information. It seems like this would be the case, but I want to confirm it before spending a bunch of money on non-uv movies that are in my wishlist. So, vudu rep., can you please respond to my question? I may send a message directly to them. That would probably be a better way to do it, but it is nice to hear other people's experience with this as well.

Comment

Doubt you'll get any confirmation from Vudu, as the studios will control what Vudu can do.

I owned a handful (less than a dozen) of pre-UV Vudu movies, from a variety of studios, and all of them eventually became UV enabled. No action required by me; one day, the UV logo appeared, and they were in my UV locker. I had mostly used Vudu to rent back then. If I had foreseen the UV conversion, I would have bought more.

The main non-UV things on Vudu for me are 1) Disney, and 2) Bond.

I'm guessing all of us are wondering what to do about Disney.

Comment

Originally posted by quackman View Post
          If I purchase a movie on vudu that is currently not UV-enabled and at some later date that same movie is enabled with UV, will this be applied to the movie I already purchased so that my movie is uv activated?

Yes. It has happened with a few of my outright purchase titles where they became UV after the fact and subsequently were automatically added into my UV locker.

Comment

I stated this in another thread but it bares repeating only so that no one else makes the same mistake that I did buying from CinemaNow. Yes, the previous statements about pre-UV purchases changing over to UV are absolutely accurate...unless those movies were bought from CinemaNow. After 2 of my movies didn't get converted to UV, I contacted CinemaNow Customer Service who politely said there was nothing they would do about it since they were bought pre-UV. I couldn't imagine EVER buying another movie from CinemaNow, non-UV or UV. I've learned my lesson.

Comment

Thanks so much for all the information! I also sent a message directly to vudu support and they confirmed what you guys are saying as well. Now, the question is, do I buy Disney movies on vudu or wait to see what happens? I will probably wait, but it is so hard to have patience when I love collecting digital movies (like the rest of you that often look at this forum)! I think I will start by just adding my top non-uv movies in my wishlist, such as the Rocky movies, Indiana Jones movies, Dead Poets Society, Titanic, Pretty Woman, Platoon, Hoosiers, Avatar, and a few others. The bummer is that there are still some really good movies not even on vudu yet, such as City Slickers, The Deer Hunter, Fargo, Father of the Bride I & II (the modern version), Good Morning Vietnam, Jerry Maguire, Mrs. Doubtfire, Phenomenon, Say Anything, The Sixth Sense, the Star Wars movies, War of the Worlds (modern version), When Harry Met Sally, and many others. Very frustrating that these are not there, but I'm sure they would be if vudu was allowed to add them.

Comment

Thanks so much for all the information! I also sent a message directly to vudu support and they confirmed what you guys are saying as well. Now, the question is, do I buy Disney movies on vudu or wait to see what happens? I will probably wait, but it is so hard to have patience when I love collecting digital movies (like the rest of you that often look at this forum)! I think I will start by just adding my top non-uv movies in my wishlist, such as the Rocky movies, Indiana Jones movies, Dead Poets Society, Titanic, Pretty Woman, Platoon, Hoosiers, Avatar, and a few others. The bummer is that there are still some really good movies not even on vudu yet, such as City Slickers, The Deer Hunter, Fargo, Father of the Bride I & II (the modern version), Good Morning Vietnam, Jerry Maguire, Mrs. Doubtfire, Phenomenon, Say Anything, The Sixth Sense, the Star Wars movies, War of the Worlds (modern version), When Harry Met Sally, and many others. Very frustrating that these are not there, but I'm sure they would be if vudu was allowed to add them.

You make some good points. I do agree. It is important to remember this technology is in its infancy. I am old enough to remember the Betamax vs VHS debate. That went on for years. There was also the 8-track to cassette tape to compact disk. DVD to HD-DVD / Bluray is another. That one is still not over since you can walk into any store and have your choice of DVD or Bluray.

We are in the middle of a shift again. Physical media sales are falling (AKA packaged media). Consumers are increasingly moving to streaming as how their content is being delivered. However, this is really less then two years old. The first UV titles, "Horrible Bosses" and "Green Lantern", were released beginning October 11, 2011 by Warner Home Video using redemption codes bundled with Blu-ray discs and DVDs.

This is just 18 months ago.

When Bluray first came out, there were limited titles. That changed as the format became accepted.

The same is true with this VoD (video on demand) technology.

First a standard needs to be agreed upon. In this case it is going to be UV w/o a doubt.

Next, the content providers need to start to use the standard to deliver their content to their consumers.

Just not so long ago, the first Terminator made it to Bluray. That took six years from the advent of Bluray disks hitting the market. The fact that 18 months out there are still holes in the UV & Vudu catalogs is to be expected.

However, UV has had much greater acceptance then Bluray. In only 18 months, they have gone from their first title to well over 8000 and the number is growing very quickly. The start of this year saw a large influx. The only major studio holdout is Disney and they have shut down their competing system to UV known as Keychest. This leaves them no course into the VoD market besides eventually adopting UV too. Currently, they are just sticking with iTunes and Windows Media Player downloads. That is not viable long term though and everyone knows it.

So, what you say is valid. However, this is a new content delivery method which is soon to dominate the landscape.

P.S.- to answer your question about Disney movies, I leave this for you to decide. I can speak for myself. I did buy the non UV copy of "PotC - On Stranger Tides" as an outright Vudu purchase. The first three PotC movies, I hold in physical media. That one, I did not and instead of buying it in physical media, I got the VoD version. I have not made any outright Vudu purchase (i.e. non D2D) on a title I hold in physical media just because the title was not in the D2D list. It would not make sense to me to purchase a VoD copy of a title I held in physical media and pay full price for it. Instead, I just hold these until they do become available for D2D. This includes my entire Disney DVD/Bluray collection.

Comment

Yes, you are correct. While I might be a little frustrated, I have to remember that these things take time. Thanks for the reminder! By the way, I enjoy reading your posts. You write a lot of well-thought-out and interesting stuff.

Comment

Yes, you are correct. While I might be a little frustrated, I have to remember that these things take time. Thanks for the reminder! By the way, I enjoy reading your posts. You write a lot of well-thought-out and interesting stuff.

I enjoy writing them more then you enjoy reading them.

Comment

Working...
                    X