Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

UltraViolet/Vudu login resets and D2D:"Error setting desired conversion quality"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UltraViolet/Vudu login resets and D2D:"Error setting desired conversion quality"

I redeemed an Universal movie earlier this afternoon and it made me login with uvvv.com and associate my account all over again. And just now I was forced to change my vudu.com password (and they've got some silly requirements for passwords...even if they're a good idea, it's annoying when services force you to uppercase, lowercase, and numbers. I can provide a more secure password with words versus the one they just pushed me towards.)

Anyways, is anyone else seeing the same sort of thing today? Or do I need to worry about the common denominator between the two, being me, and start changing all my other passwords?

On a related note, after I changed my password, I was trying to convert two Scooby-Doo DVDs to HD using Disc to Digital and I'm receiving an error I haven't seen before:

"Error setting desired conversion quality, please try again"

I'm wondering if this is related as well.

Re: UltraViolet/Vudu login resets and D2D:"Error setting desired conversion quality"

Okay, I knew I should have tried this before posting, but I found out why I was receiving the "Error setting desired conversion quality, please try again" message. I had the two movies in my movies list on the http://www.vudu.com/disc_to_digital.html page. Once I removed them, the vudu D2D application worked correctly and I was able to purchase my new scooby-doo movies from my computer.

I was getting suspicious with the login events and that error, but I'm now thinking it's probably my anniversary of signing up at uvvu.com and vudu.com and that's why both of those services asked me for my credentials today...we'll see. Hopefully the resolution above will help others and this won't just be a conspiracy post.

Comment

Re: UltraViolet/Vudu login resets and D2D:"Error setting desired conversion quality"

VUDU apparently had a break-in at their offices back in March and hard drives containing customer data were stolen. That is why everyone has had their passwords reset.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/9/420...er-data-stolen

http://www.vudu.com/password_faq.html

Comment

Vudu is forcing everyone to do password resets today because of a recent break-in at their HQ. You should check your e-mail for more information.

Comment

I have changed my Vudu, iTunes, and other video/music services since I have different passwords for different types of websites. It was a annoying since I had to tell other family members that live across the country my new iTunes password since we all share one account.

I don't understand why Vudu didn't have their servers locked in cages in its own room/closet that has customer info on it. Then have customer service use thin clients to connect to main server. Then for video/audio techs have their own servers to store the movies/tv shows in a different room. Where I work we use thin clients to connect to the main server that way if an employee stole the hard drive or the whole box they wouldn't get customer information and proprietary information since the thin client can only connect within our LAN and can disabled in seconds.

Comment

I hope this doesn't have too much of an effect, but this news is spreading like wildfire on all the tech blogs. Engadget, The Verge, etc. A lot of people on blu-ray forums have swore to never use vudu again. One person suggested that we should get to choose a free movie. I think that would be just compensation for our loss of personal data. I hope they do something to satisfy their customers. They don't need bad press with all the competition out there.

Comment

The past couple years have definitely had a ton of high profile (Sony, Apple, EA) security breaches, but I don't remember any other incident that included physical theft. So I'd be wary of criticizing vudu's server and hardware policies.

But I have no problem wondering what took them so long when the theft occurred over two weeks ago. That's ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by mike568 View Post
                I don't understand why Vudu didn't have their servers locked in cages in its own room/closet that has customer info on it. Then have customer service use thin clients to connect to main server.
                I am hoping this will be a learning opportunity for them. Your idea is a good solution. Another solution would be to employ full-disk encryption. The Ultimate and Enterprise versions of Windows 7 include BitLocker at no additional charge. For other versions of Windows and other operating systems, TrueCrypt is available at no charge. Check Point is another good commercial solution. It obviously would not have prevented the theft of the drives, but it certainly could make stealing the data much more difficult.

Comment

At first glance, and without any info on the incident, I am prone to think it was an employee or former employee who absconded with them, at worst someone hoping to get digital masters of hundreds of movies.

Comment

Originally posted by jwhitlow View Post
                    I am hoping this will be a learning opportunity for them. Your idea is a good solution. Another solution would be to employ full-disk encryption. The Ultimate and Enterprise versions of Windows 7 include BitLocker at no additional charge. For other versions of Windows and other operating systems, https://forum.vudu.com/images/icons/icon9.pngTrueCrypt is available at no charge. Check Point is another good commercial solution. It obviously would not have prevented the theft of the drives, but it certainly could make stealing the data much more difficult.
                    This should be awake up call to EVERY company. Where I work around 2 years they put our servers in a cage and only 2 employee that work on site have keys to it. We had keep one of the cages unlocked for a week because a server kept going down every 2-4 hours so you had to hold the power button in.

Comment

The e-mail I got did not say their servers were stolen. Just computer Hard Disk Drives.

As you say, it may of been an employee let go with a company laptop who failed to return it. We do not really know the extent of the event. However, a "Break-in" does seem some one was looking for either a way into UV heaven, or some quick cash at a pawn shop.

As to leaving Vudu over this event, I sure wouldn't. Playstation Network lost straight up credit card info. Hackers also brought their service to a halt on several occasions. Still, it is heavily used.

Vudu loosing encrypted web-portal passwords is hardly a breach of privacy worth throwing the baby out with the bath water over.

If I understand the network architecture correctly for the Vudu content VoD delivery service, a bad guy could show up to one of their network Point of Presences with a flame thrower, torch every piece of hardware in the site, and still we would all be blissfully unaware as we continued to watch our 1080p movies/TV from them. This is because of the robust redundancy they have architected.

Some web-passwords gone missing just does not factor into the superiority of their content delivery service. I will take the 15 seconds out of my day to change my web portal password and keep right on streaming, thank you very mucho.

I can say that service providers like Vudu 98% of the time do not have their service providing hardware in the same physical location where they come to work each day. That hardware is locked up behind security guards and man-traps in collocation spaces where internet bandwidth is in a fabric to make a market place for bandwidth providers. I seriously doubt anyone has the chance to do a break in there.

I was in one last year near Washington DC. There are cameras everywhere. No photos permitted. I stood 5 feet from a Playstation Network Point of Presence and there was no way I could get at it. Plus, there is redundant power to the site and armed security. These things have all been well thought out.

Comment

Here is the BBC Link:
                        http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology...PublicRSS20-sa

Comment

Originally posted by FattyMoBookyButt View Post

On a related note, after I changed my password, I was trying to convert two Scooby-Doo DVDs to HD using Disc to Digital and I'm receiving an error I haven't seen before:

"Error setting desired conversion quality, please try again"

I'm wondering if this is related as well.
                          Back to the topic at hand, I figured out why this error occurs. I had selected 'Conspiracy Theory' under 'own HDX' from the D2D on the website. When I went to convert with my dvd copy, the "Error setting desired conversion quality, please try again" showed up. It happened because I had said that I owned the bluray when I in fact did not and was going to convert the DVD. So in other words make sure the movie you're converting isn't in your d2d wish list under the incorrect format that you actually own. Once you fix it, the problem will go away and you'll be able to convert without a problem.

Comment

Working...
                          X