Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Could "Oz The Great And Powerful" Be Disney's First UV Release?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Could "Oz The Great And Powerful" Be Disney's First UV Release?

Originally posted by Starkenator View Post
    I just tried to redeem an unredeemed digital copy code from Lady and the Tramp on the new website and it said they do not support the redemption of older titles which does not surprise me. We need to see if we can pressure Disney to let us redeem our old iTunes codes on Vudu. Does anyone know of a support email or their twitter handle?
    Support@DigitalCopyHelp.com

Currently e-mailing them now on that subject, hopefully with a well composed, professional, and insightful e-mail from a long time consumer (50 years & 200+ VHS's, CD's, DVD's and Blu-Ray's) of their products. It is not a very good idea to bite the hand that feeds you in the consumer world, Disney, a mainstay in my media collection, could face extinction, at least for me, if there is not an awakening on their part to the fact that currently they are moving away from perceived benefit to the consumer. Their bottom line is tied to that perception......currently Disney is moving further and further from that perception, at least in my eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by echopulse View Post
      I am going to e-mail them to ask them to add UV capability. Would love to ask about downloading CFF files but it's not available yet, so that's not a current issue.

I just emailed them asking them to add Ultraviolet support and the porting of older iTunes copies to Vudu. Hope everyone can hammer them with emails about this.

Comment

Seems to me Disney is still leaving money on the table. If they provide a D2D program, they get money for your Disney collection, with very little cost to them. I can't believe they will just walk away from such a money-maker. Most folks will not pay $20 each yeat again to get all of their Disney movies in the cloud, but are willing to pay something for the convenience. Why not take the money?

Comment

Originally posted by tsken02 View Post
          Most folks will not pay $20 each yeat again to get all of their Disney movies in the cloud, but are willing to pay something for the convenience. Why not take the money?

For me, I would never. It would go against my principles to spend money on buying a Bluray Disc copy of a title I already owned in DVD. Same is true for an EST version. I would never pay full price for a title I already own on DVD or Bluray Disc.

A nominal fee for a D2D transfer is another story. That I would gladly pay for adding titles I have in packaged media into my UV locker.

Should they choose to forgo UV for many years, I will simply learn to live without their titles in my entertainment library.

I am not sure if I am alone in this decision.

There may be folks out there who heat their home by burning stacks of $100 bills and can afford to justify buying an EST copy of a title they own in packaged media just to have the convenience of a streaming service.

That is not me. I count my pennies and pay cash for my purchases. Without UV, sadly, Disney will likely simply be absent from my family's entertainment collection, by-in-large.

This does sort of sting to have to say. We were season pass holders to Walt Disney World for three years while we lived in Florida. Our family has stayed at hotels on the property for weekend and week-long stays dozens of times. We appreciate the quality Disney has in family entertainment, but UV is a make-or-break feature for us now.

Comment

Originally posted by tsken02 View Post
            The FAQ specifically lists Oz. Check under Info and Help: http://www.digitalcopyplus.com/help/

Do Digital Copy codes expire?
            Digital Copy codes are only available for a limited time. See the list below for specific dates related to your title. Please, contact customer service with any further questions regarding Digital Copy code expiration.

1-800-723-4763 (US)/1-888-877-2843 (Canada)

Digital Copy Plus currently supports the following titles:
            Oz The Great and Powerful Expires June 11, 2018
            Wait a minute... Will the code or movie itself expire on June 11, 2018?

Comment

Any benefit to redeem thru vudu vs the Disney site?

Comment

The code expires in 2018, not the movie itself.

The benefit to redeeming on DigitalCopyPlus.com? The only thing I can think of is Rewards Points.

Comment

I am just getting caught up on all the news from this thread. GREAT info everybody! This is definitely a step in the right direction and hopefully a sign of things to come for Disney. Seems like they could easily add UV support if they wanted to. Only time will tell.

Comment

The benefit to redeeming on DigitalCopyPlus.com? The only thing I can think of is Rewards Points.
                    I don't know how Digital Copy Plus will integrate with the Disney Movie Rewards program. But on the DMR site, when you redeem your points it also registers the disc on your account. They have a replacement program. So if your disc is ever damaged, you can buy a replacement for $7-$9. I've never needed to use it, but I always thought that was a great benefit.

The DCP website says:

Your code provides you with access to various special offers, sweepstakes, upgrades, rewards and more. These offers vary by title and by territory and additional terms and conditions may apply; please enter your code to find out what you can unlock!

Comment

And it's possible that the DigitalCopyPlus will be different that the Vudu redemption code. The DCP site says:

Why is my Digital Copy code different than my provider code?

Your Digital Copy code is used to unlock your offers and confirms your eligibility for a Digital Copy. In order to redeem your Digital Copy in some cases you may need a separate code that is issued by your selected participating provider.
                      So maybe you'll enter the original code at DigitalCopyPlus.com, and they'll give you a Vudu code. That would be similar to the way Universal handles Amazon codes. You redeem the digital copy code through the Universal site, and they give you an Amazon GC code.

Comment

I hope it's HDX and not lame SD quality

Comment

Walter,

I understand your viewpoint, but I draw the opposite conclusion that you do. This announcement shows that Disney is aware of consumer demand for a cross-platform, cloud based digital copy service. This is why they support 3 different providers. Universal has the same type of redemption system for their UV releases. To me, this looks like what they will offer in place of what had originally been called "Keychest". With support for 2 cloud based services, plus iTunes, there is no need for them to build a new cloud based movie platform. When UV first launched, Disney's CEO said that Keychest was to be compatible with UltraViolet, not compete against it. This news makes it more likely that UV compatibility will happen sooner rather than later. Just my 02 cents.

Mr. EP,

thx for the reply. I agree with Keychest resigned to the annuls of history and Disney Studios now breaking with their iTunes exclusive DC policy, it is very likely they will become members of DECE.

My morose comes from what I expect to be the timing of this next move.

I work on a technical engineering team for a pretty large company. Granted, it is not as large as what Disney Studios has under their umbrella, but regardless.

They are in the process of launching a new integrated service with Digital Copy Plus. After this is done, an initiative to become compliant with Ultraviolet distribution standards would need to be started.

First, they would need to decide to do so.

This is an executive decision which I estimate is still pending. It seems clear to me that they are "Trying" the Digital Copy Plus route. If I am right, the executive decision to include routing EST distribution through Ultraviolet has not even been made yet.

Once that milestone is crossed, there are engineering cycles needed to implement the change. This too is a project with a timeline and milestones which by my estimation, has not even started yet.

In the light of recent events, I do agree they will at some point in the future become members of DECE. However, I fear this milestone to be crossed in 2014 at the very earliest.

If I had to take a stab in the dark, I would estimate Q4-14 to be when we will be able to D2D Disney/Touchstone/Marvel titles.

As someone who was hoping to trot my little patootie into the my local photo counter with a box full of packaged media brandishing the Disney DVD logo to have them run through a D2D conversion, my sober judgement leads me to believe me being able to do so has been parked by the executive team at Disney Studios for over a year.

This to me is discouraging and an awful long time to be asked to wait. During this time, my children will be growing up absent content from Disney Studios. We just do not access our entertainment media from the DVDs sitting in boxes in the garage any more. Everything is from a streaming provider.

Perhaps the executive team at Disney Studios has their engineering team working in parallel to the launch of Digital Copy Plus a project to be able to distribute EST via UV and the day will come soon where they have the purple logo on their titles and we all can D2D our collections of Disney titles. From interpreting the actions of the studio, I do not think this is the case and the decision to pursue DECE membership has yet to be made at an executive level.

-Walter

Comment

What we need is a way to convert our physical DVDs/Blu-rays to a file and upload it to a website that we can then access via the cloud and play our movies as we do with VUDU and other services today. Then it wouldn't matter who the studio is. In other words, we need a "cloud converter" for our physical media.

Comment

I think this is Disney's way of joining "the cloud" but without worrying about the lost revenue that would come from being UV. They are joining up with the best (and most-accessible) UV provider without giving away copies of their movies for multiple providers. When you think about it, if their movies were UV, they would give away a copy of their movie for Vudu, but with the way UV works, they'd also be giving away copies for Flixster, CinemaNow, MGo, Nook, plus whoever joins the cause in time. That is a lot of money that Disney would be leaving on the table that they could make from people who would buy the movie from each of these individual providers. Disney makes a lot of money by re-releasing old titles, and if they bought into UV, that money-making model would be gone, especially if by joining UV they are expected to jump into the $2-D2D train.

Honestly, once this boosts Vudu's market-share considerably (which it probably will), I think the next likely step is that they will offer their own variation of the D2D program for their titles. I think that they would probably charge $8-$10 per conversion/per service. I don't see Disney downgrading the value of their library to $2 for all digital services, when up to this point they've been getting $20-$25/movie no matter which format or service the movie is purchased on.

My general disapproval of Dinsey's business practices aside, I am really excited for this. I, like many people, like many of Disney's movies, and as long as Vudu continues to be the leader for UV and movie streaming, I would feel comfortable enough to move my Disney collection over to Vudu's service. I'm just not getting my hopes up for Disney UV support or D2D support that would be as inexpensive as the other studios.

Comment

it doesn't work that way.

Here is my M-Go UV library;

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7kG...it?usp=sharing

Since they are new, only about 1/3 of my UV titles which all show up, are available for "playback" from them. I am not sure, but I believe a VoD provider need license a number of simultaneous playbacks of a given title. Since M-Go is new, they only hold a small number of these VoD playback licenses compared to Vudu.

Joining DECE would have all the UV vendors seek these playback licenses from Disney on their titles. Granted, this is a different animal from what Disney is use to dealing with, but there would be no free viewing of their titles or them loosing money on the deal.

It is simply an attempt to unify the new EST/VoD market on a single technical standard. Disney is being obstinate. There is plenty of money to be made should they join.

If Disney wanted me to bring my packaged media into a local mall's Disney Store to do a D2D conversion, I would be glad to. That is one way to get around this stagnation, I agree.

Comment

Working...
                                X