Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Could "Oz The Great And Powerful" Be Disney's First UV Release?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Could "Oz The Great And Powerful" Be Disney's First UV Release?

Originally posted by tsken02 View Post
    Looks like Vudu is the only provider that does not allow download to iPad. Both iTunes and Amazon support it.
    Incorrect. The current Vudu app on my iPad mini certainly supports downloading... there is a download button next to each title, as well as a "My Downloads" tab to see all of my previously downloaded titles that I can watch offline.

Vudu is the only provider with Blu-ray player support?
    Also incorrect. My Sony Blu Ray (and many, many others) has support for another provider: Amazon Instant.

My Samsung Blu Ray has support for VUDU.

I will say though that these apps on Blu Ray players are rather slow and clunky. They're also bad on my TIVo Premiere. Instead I access nearly all of my streaming apps via Roku (and sometimes, AppleTV) where the UI is fast and quite a bit more elegant.

Comment

Originally posted by Fofer View Post
      Incorrect. This is no longer true. "iTunes in the Cloud" now includes movies, which means purchased movies can be streamed directly from the iTunes Store to an AppleTV. No "LAN computer with a downloaded copy loaded into iTunes, iTunes open, and with Homesharing on" required anymore. It now works like VUDU.
      ~sorry for pulling a quote from another post. I just wanted to reply to both in one comment.

Thank you for correcting me. I do actually have to admit I thought I remembered that being the case while I was writing my reply and should of checked to see if that was the case before I put my point #1 into words.

However, the iTunes in the cloud will only work for purchased content.

I have my Disney collection ripped via DVD-decrypter / Handbrake. To stream these is still the old school way.

To do the same with Vudu, I just pay the nominal D2D fee and have it done by a pro and able to be streamed. Apple does not have a D2D program.

It sounds like you have Tivo, AppleTV, Roku, and a Bluray Player with apps. I have a Roku XS, PS3, and AppleTV. Of the three, the AppleTV has the slickest user interface. The stupid toy remote that came with it broke and I am using my TV remote instead, but still of the consumer set-top boxes out there, the AppleTV interface I find the best. I can sort my library in any custom category I want, zip through titles quickly, and the album artwork/description displays looks really cool.

Of the devices you have, which do you like the best?

Also incorrect. My Sony Blu Ray (and many, many others) has support for another provider: Amazon Instant.

So true. Amazon Instant Video and Amazon Prime are respectable services. We have prime and watch it often. Their SVoD content is top shelf.

I have never bought any entertainment media from Amazon Instant Video. I just do not like the idea of my digital entertainment purchases to be tied to a single company. This is the same reason I have never bought any movies from iTunes/AppleTV. However, them giving away a top shelf SVoD service for free with a prime membership which we have just to get free shipping through the year, is a really nice bonus they give to their customers.

If Amazon became DECE members and also offered 1080p, Vudu would have a very difficult time. I do not see either of those happening anytime soon though.

In our house, this leaves Netflix and Amazon Prime as the two SVoD services and Vudu as our family's static iVoD library. I use the iTunes / AppleTV to temporally stream our ripped Disney titles till they join DECE.

We have dropped all forms of broadcast service (Satellite and MSO-Cable). With the VAST amount of content we can access over the DSL modem, it is silly to also add to that a broadcast provider. It would be impossible to watch all of that (broadcast, SVoD x2, iVoD) even if we all dropped out of society and did nothing but watch TV all day.

Even then, we all would have to no longer sleep to stay abreast of all the content we would have available via the TV remote.

Considering we all do sleep and also are busy with work/school, SVoD x2 & our static iVoD library is more then enough entertainment content at our disposal.

Comment

Originally posted by Walter-S_North_Carolina View Post
        Of the devices you have, which do you like the best?
        Living Room TV:
        - jailbroken AppleTV 2 with extra software installed
        - Roku XD
        - Sony Blu Ray with some apps
        - Xbox 360

Bedroom TV:
        - jailbroken AppleTV 2 with extra software installed
        - Roku 3
        - Samsung Blu Ray with some apps

(And a TiVo Premiere that is connected to both TV's.)

I don't use the TiVo or Xbox or Blu Rays for streaming at all. Their UI is slow and clunky and ugly... a real pain.

I use the AppleTV primarily for AirPlay, for iTunes Match, for watching trailers, for the rare Digital Copy redemption, for Netflix (it looks better on the AppleTV than it does on the Roku. And I'm not just talking about UI, I am talking about PQ, too.)

And I use the Roku for any other streaming: HBO GO, Amazon Instant, The Onion, etc.

Hard to pick which one between those two I like best... happy they are inexpensive enough, to have both. If the Roku had AirPlay it'd be a slam dunk. But it doesn't. If an app exists on both (like Hulu) then I use the AppleTV (because, like you, I agree that the UI is just so much better.) But I like the Roku for all of the other channels it offers that the AppleTV doesn't have. At least not yet?

It'll be interesting to see if Apple ever lets this little set top box evolve. The sheer wealth of streaming options on the Roku (not to mention, the excellent "private listening" feature of the Roku 3, with the headphone jack in the remote, as well as the lesser known "private channels') are very, very compelling points in its favor.

Comment

Another new article:

http://www.screendigest.com/news/201...cker/view.html

This one is the most well written to date

Thomas Nash & Tony Gunnarsson - Screen Digest

Comment

VICTORY!!!

the era of Apple's attempt to corner the Digital Copy market is over!!!

Their last holdout (Disney Studios) has broken ranks.

Technology is a fast moving industry. Apple's dominance was none too short for my tastes.

If someone wants to listen to Justin Beiber's Baby-Baby-Baby-O on an iPod, Apple can still own that for all I care.

For an in-home movie industry entertainment collection that also has mobility features to match a modern lifestyle, they are ill suited and I am glad to see their attempt to corner the market come crashing down in flames.

Comment

You and me both, Walter! I have never been an "i" fan, and I never will be! Very happy to see the beginnings of this happen sooner rather than later.

Comment

"Beginnings" of what? Apple's not going anywhere. This title will be available to consumers as a digital copy on either Vudu, iTunes or Amazon Instant Video. And yes, of course, choice is good.

It's not like Apple had any traction on "cornering the market" in this space, anyway.

Comment

"Beginnings" of what? Apple's not going anywhere. This title will be available to consumers as a digital copy on either Vudu, iTunes or Amazon Instant Video. And yes, of course, choice is good.

It's not like Apple had any traction on "cornering the market" in this space, anyway.

Yes, for a spell, it looked like iTunes was going to be a digital copy prerequisite defacto standard.

To think that both Apple and Amazon do not have intentions to corner the market, as Microsoft had done with the PC operating system, is delusional. Both companies do. In fact, Vudu has the same intention.

I am just glad to not be forced to swallow Apple's horse-pill.

To say Apple is not going anywhere is again not acknowledging the ebbs and flows of the consumer technology industry.

At one point, I owned an iPac telephone. It was made by Hewlett Packerd and ran Windows CE. This was seven years before the first iPhone. It had mobile internet, a touch screen interface, and a built in cell phone. It also sync'ed with both my work and personal e-mail accounts.

Apple did not make anything new with the iPhone which has propelled their current growth spike and what goes up must succumb to gravity too.

Especially in the technology industry.

Apple had ever intention of cornering the Digital Copy market. Their efforts have failed as of today. The iTunes logo will no longer be on packaged movie industry products. The word for this is "DEFEAT", unambiguous and unarguable defeat.

Instead from this day on, every title who will intice consumers with a digital copy will either have the purple UV logo or in the case of Disney Studios, the DigitalCopy+ brand name.

To have Apple's last studio hold out break ranks and make iTunes only one of three and the Apple offer being the weakest of the three can not be seen as anything but the last straw breaking for their hopes in the Digital Copy market.

The digital copy battle field has been won and the Apple forces have been vacated.

EST of movie industry content is the next battlefield.

Comment

Disney may be on board now, but FOX is still not really that far along to the party.

Comment

The web site is back up now.

http://www.digitalcopyplus.com/

I don't see any change from the preview we had previous to the announcement.

Comment

Originally posted by terpfan1980 View Post
                        Disney may be on board now, but FOX is still not really that far along to the party.

https://foxuv.com/

...DECE members.

I can see why Disney could not abruptly halt offering iTunes copies. After all, their customers have been trained to use iTunes for Digital Copy redemption more so then all other studios.

I am beginning to think that the DigitalCopy+ initiative is simply a transitional step until the iTunes initeria they had built up recedes.

After training their customers for so long to go to iTunes for Digital copy redemption, they could not just halt that as an option.

Comment

At one point, I owned an iPac telephone. It was made by Hewlett Packerd and ran Windows CE. This was seven years before the first iPhone. It had mobile internet, a touch screen interface, and a built in cell phone. It also sync'ed with both my work and personal e-mail accounts.

Apple did not make anything new with the iPhone
                          And it never took off in popularity because the usability wasn't there; the UI sucked. Apple did, indeed, bring something new to the table (once again) and were rewarded handily for it.

Apple had ever intention of cornering the Digital Copy market. Their efforts have failed as of today. The iTunes logo will no longer be on packaged movie industry products. The word for this is "DEFEAT", unambiguous and unarguable defeat.
                          Quite dramatic, are you?

Listen, as I mentioned above, I've got a myriad of devices, and appreciate innovation from all the companies out there. I've personally chosen to embrace VUDU and UltraViolet for my online movie collection over iTunes and Apple (even though I my Apple gear is well-situated to playback the latter.) Why? Because VUDU brought something new to the table for me, and that was interface and ease, and the ability for me to inexpensively convert my existing DVD, Blu Ray, and VHS tapes into online copies, in store and now at home. So I chose with my dollars.

It's the knee-jerk glee over "declared defeat" I'm not quite grokking here. But hey, whatever floats your boat.

Comment

Listen, as I mentioned above, I've got a myriad of devices, and appreciate innovation from all the companies out there. I've personally chosen to embrace VUDU and UltraViolet for my online movie collection over iTunes and Apple...
                            Innovation is a great thing...but integration is more important to me. I don't like being limited to an iPad or other Apple device and I don't like having to have an iTunes account.

Last time I tried to use Apple was an iPad. For me, it sucked. Why? Because it was not a stand-alone device. I had to create an iTunes account on my PC (by the way, their software totally screwed up my PC and I was unable to burn CDs from that point on...among other problems that started that day). I now have Android devices and I can load up MP3 and other files and manage everything myself. So much easier than the iTunes approach in my opinion.

I no longer own that iPad and will probably never buy another Apple product the rest of my life. But that's just me. I guess everyone has different opinions and expectations, that's why Apple will continue to be around...but I do think that as UV grows and as new apps are deployed for various devices it will hurt iTunes until the day that they join UltraViolet.

Comment

The web site is back up now.

http://www.digitalcopyplus.com/

I don't see any change from the preview we had previous to the announcement.
                              The full site (desktop site) seems to be back up but if the mobile site is loaded on a mobile device it still says to come back on June 11.

Comment

It's the knee-jerk glee over "declared defeat" I'm not quite grokking here. But hey, whatever floats your boat.

Fofer,

today marks a MAJOR VICTORY for UV/Vudu as well as a MAJOR DEFEAT for Apple in the Digital Copy market.

The iTunes logo has been eradicated from packaged movie industry products.

You may try to brush this aside.

You may try to minimize by calling me melodramatic.

You may try suggest there is nothing to celebrate.

I disagree. Today marks the conclusive and definitive end to the all competition in the digital copy market. This battle is over. UV has won.

The next battle is in the EST market, which Apple currently is the market leader. To suggest we who are UV enthusiast (and I do understand you count yourself as one too) do have reason to celebrate today. Today is the day we have been sanctioned as the unrivaled winner of the digital copy market.

I make no apologies for basking in the victory and I consider this to be a dramatic turn of events where a technology I am enthusiastic about has been left as the only one still standing and has become the defacto standard going into the future.

Comment

Working...
                                X