Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Could "Oz The Great And Powerful" Be Disney's First UV Release?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Could "Oz The Great And Powerful" Be Disney's First UV Release?

The Itunes logo has not been eliminated from DVD/Blu-ray packaging. Have you ever looked at the back of a Universal DVD? They still have iTunes digital copy, in addtion to UV. Disney will also have iTunes, vudu and Amazon. Lionsgate also offers both options. But, yes, it's good for Disney to offer vudu copies, but it has not abandoned iTunes at all.

Comment

Originally posted by LuzRinggold View Post
      Last time I tried to use Apple was an iPad. For me, it sucked. Why? Because it was not a stand-alone device. I had to create an iTunes account on my PC
      For what it's worth, that was a while ago. iOS devices are now PC-independent and never need to be connected or synced to a computer. They're fed via (and backed up to) the cloud.

Originally posted by LuzRinggold View Post
      I no longer own that iPad and will probably never buy another Apple product the rest of my life. But that's just me.
      I understand you feel burned and that's your right. It's the over-the-top "will probably never buy another Apple product the rest of my life" that makes this conversation feel a bit wonky, is all.

I typically just choose the best product/platform/service for my needs at the time I need/want them. Getting all wrapped up in emotion about it doesn't really serve anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by echopulse View Post
        The Itunes logo has not been eliminated from DVD/Blu-ray packaging. Have you ever looked at the back of a Universal DVD? They still have iTunes digital copy, in addtion to UV. Disney will also have iTunes, vudu and Amazon. Lionsgate also offers both options. But, yes, it's good for Disney to offer vudu copies, but it has not abandoned iTunes at all.
        Indeed. Well said.

And again, I say this as an Apple user, with plenty of iDevices and AppleTV's, who's decided to invest my money, time and energy building my video library in UV/Vudu's cloud, and not iTunes!

Comment

starting today as a release date, find me one title that has an iTunes logo as the sole method to redeem a digital copy.

Just one year ago, I could of found many.

Starting today, there are none. zero.

Also, the vast majority are UV exclusive. There are only a remnant that offer iTunes DC as an additional choice as one of a selection.

This is a paradigm shift which I stand ready to counter any attempt to minimize. Apple lost the digital copy market.

period.

Comment

Originally posted by Walter-S_North_Carolina View Post
            starting today as a release date, find me one title that has an iTunes logo as the sole method to redeem a digital copy.
            That moves the goal posts though. The conversation here made it out like the iTunes logo was *gone* -- and that's not the case. It's just one of three choices now. Yes, cause for celebration indeed. Consumer choice wins. But the iTunes logo isn't gone any more than the VUDU or Amazon or UV logo is. Period.

Comment

Originally posted by Fofer View Post
              That moves the goal posts though. The conversation here made it out like the iTunes logo was *gone* -- and that's not the case. It's just one of three choices now. Yes, cause for celebration indeed. Consumer choice wins. But the iTunes logo isn't gone any more than the VUDU or Amazon or UV logo is. Period.
              Agree that the iTunes logo hasn't been eradicated. It just compliments the UV logo and can still be found on the packaging of every major studio.

Comment

Originally posted by Fofer View Post

no sir. iTunes is not one of three. That gives it way too much stature.

in 80%-90% of the titles, UV is the sole digital copy method.

in the remaining 10%-20%, iTunes no longer holds any exclusive. They have been abandoned for all but legacy users as the industry continues to drive for UV critical mass.

the percent of the digital copy market iTunes holds has gone from robust 70% ranges to low single digits in the space of 18 months.

The defeat is sound and stunning. Any attempt to call it anything but, is simply sourced from delusion.

Comment

I'm gonna have to disagree with you Walter. There are still some independent studio's who have yet to offer UV digital copies. Relativity Media, Magnolia Pictures, and a few others may still favor iTunes copies. Also, if your measuring stick is number of releases, then yes, Disney accounts for about 10% of the market. But I think a more important measure is the number of discs sold. Most Disney releases are said to be must own movies, for instance, recent hits like The Avengers, Brave, OZ, and Wreck-It Ralph, so they end up selling 3 or 4 times as many copies as a competing blockbuster from a UV studio, and that really makes a difference. So Disney probably accounts for closer to 20 or 30% of total discs sold.

Comment

I'm gonna have to disagree with you Walter. There are still some independent studio's who have yet to offer UV digital copies. Relativity Media, Magnolia Pictures, and a few others may still favor iTunes copies. Also, if your measuring stick is number of releases, then yes, Disney accounts for about 10% of the market. But I think a more important measure is the number of discs sold. Most Disney releases are said to be must own movies, for instance, recent hits like The Avengers, Brave, OZ, and Wreck-It Ralph, so they end up selling 3 or 4 times as many copies as a competing blockbuster from a UV studio, and that really makes a difference. So Disney probably accounts for closer to 20 or 30% of total discs sold.

two words.

John

Carter

Comment

https://foxuv.com/

...DECE members.

I can see why Disney could not abruptly halt offering iTunes copies. After all, their customers have been trained to use iTunes for Digital Copy redemption more so then all other studios.

I am beginning to think that the DigitalCopy+ initiative is simply a transitional step until the iTunes initeria they had built up recedes.

After training their customers for so long to go to iTunes for Digital copy redemption, they could not just halt that as an option.
                      FOX has *some* offerings, but the vast majority of FOX discs that I have can't be converted (Disc-to-digital) at this time and the vast majority of those offerings came with no digital copy or, if I was really lucky, an iTunes copy that I redeemed long ago, which is why I still list them as a major player that isn't really on board with UV, or at least not with Vudu at this time.

They are there, but only sparingly.

When Star Wars is available d2d, then you can claim they (FOX) are fully onboard. Until then, nice try. (And really, Star Wars is just the first title that comes to mind, I had about 40 - 50 discs that I went through which were FOX titles, none of which were able to be converted via disc-to-digital, so this isn't just a small issue....)

Comment

...you know, you make a good point. I had heard MGM too has been dragging their feet with their historical titles.

Here is my parked D2D titles which are waiting on availability;

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...LcHhRTlE#gid=0

I should probably add a column for studio to see which ones are being obstinate, like you say.

However, I have found it is often a tricky thing to find who currently hold the distro rights for a given title. Most often, it is no longer the same company who's logo is on the spine of the DVD/Bluray.

Case-in-point: "Stargate". Currently, Lionsgate holds the distro rights, but the word lionsgate appears nowhere on my Bluray package.

Comment

...Case-in-point: "Stargate". Currently, Lionsgate holds the distro rights, but the word lionsgate appears nowhere on my Bluray package.
                          Which version/UPC do you have? Mine has Lionsgate on it.

Comment

Unscientific study based on new movie releases on disc in June:

Title Studio UV iTunes
                            Hansel and Gretel Paramount y y
                            Oz the Great and Powerful Disney n y
                            Snitch Summit y y
                            Jack the Giant Slayer Warner Bros y n
                            The Incredible Burt Wonderstone Warner Bros y n
                            A Good Day to Die Hard Fox y y
                            Identity Thief Universal y y
                            Warm Bodies Summit y y
                            The only studio on this limited list that's gone full-UV is WB, and they bought Flixster so I guess they're "all-in". Universal, Fox, and Paramount let you choose a walled garden and/or UV.

From looking around, it looks like Sony might also be UV-only for digital copies. Lionsgate gives both.
                            Last edited by nyunole; 06-11-2013, 01:02 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by rdodolak View Post
                              Which version/UPC do you have? Mine has Lionsgate on it.

@ work, but will circle back when I get to the crib.

Comment

Originally posted by nyunole View Post
                                Unscientific study based on new movie releases on disc in June:

Title Studio UV iTunes
                                Hansel and Gretel Paramount y y
                                Oz the Great and Powerful Disney n y
                                Snitch Summit y y
                                Jack the Giant Slayer Warner Bros y n
                                The Incredible Burt Wonderstone Warner Bros y n
                                A Good Day to Die Hard Fox y y
                                Identity Thief Universal y y
                                Warm Bodies Summit y y
                                The only studio on this limited list that's gone full-UV is WB, and they bought Flixster so I guess they're "all-in". Universal, Fox, and Paramount let you choose a walled garden and/or UV.

From looking around, it looks like Sony might also be UV-only for digital copies. Lionsgate gives both.

impressive forum syntax usage.

I am going into WalMart on Friday. I will catalog digital copy offers while they process my D2D bi-weekly order. Last time I did so, the only ones with iTunes was "Lincoln" and Disney titles, but I will check again on Friday.

Far and away, most were UV exclusive for digital copy redemption

Comment

Working...
                                X