Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Key Holdouts Will Determine if UltraViolet Simmers or Sizzles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

?After a shaky start UltraViolet is starting to pick up steam; however, several key players are not supporting the UV ecosystem,? comments senior analyst, Michael Inouye. ?Apple, Disney, and Amazon remain the most notable holdouts in the US, but other ecosystem players like Microsoft could further fragment the market if they do not adopt UV support. As more users sign up the pressures to support UV will certainly mount. While we expect the number of holdouts to decline, reaching universal support will prove an uphill battle.?
    I would really like to see Disney start offering their movies in UltraViolet as well as Amazon Instant Video support for UltraViolet.

Re: Key Holdouts Will Determine if UltraViolet Simmers or Sizzles

that is a forecast of somewhere between 11 million to 20 million new UV accounts per year, according to ABI Research.

Another way of looking at it is 900,000 - 1,600,000 new UV users per month forecasted for the next five years.

Seems about right considering q1-13 added over two million.

One would hope, that many consumers would sway the last holdouts to swallow their pride.

Comment

Even though there are 20M users, how many are actually active and didnt just signup and then throw up there hands confused. That right there is the real # that Amazon is probably waiting for.

Comment

Yeah, that's why Iger (Disney) said he is concerned about. UV needs a more simplified process for mainstream consumers. I think the way it should work is you register on UVVU.com and that automatically registers with the various studios that have their own sites. MovieRedeem.com is very simple and clear, the other studios are a bit more complicated and involving.

Comment

Originally posted by swiss21 View Post
          Yeah, that's why Iger (Disney) said he is concerned about. UV needs a more simplified process for mainstream consumers. I think the way it should work is you register on UVVU.com and that automatically registers with the various studios that have their own sites. MovieRedeem.com is very simple and clear, the other studios are a bit more complicated and involving.
          When I go to Flixster, it offers me an option to login using my Google credentials. There should be similar interoperability with UltraViolet. I should be able to sign into Flixster, Vudu, CinemaNow, etcetera using my UltraViolet account.

Comment

Originally posted by OSUGrad2X View Post
            Even though there are 20M users, how many are actually active and didnt just signup and then throw up there hands confused. That right there is the real # that Amazon is probably waiting for.

If I go to a restaurant for the first time, I do not like the food, service, or value (or a combination of any of the three), I will probably not return.

At first, the restaurant may feel they are succeeding because lots of customers are coming to eat at their establishment. Slowly, they will find no one is returning and will have to shutter and let someone else try to attract customers.

The question is are the 1 million new users per month customers who will not return to the restaurant, but be counted as a statistic, or are they going to be return customers and the parking lot of the establishment will soon be difficult to find a free spot in.

This is where I feel a better metric to gauge the success of UV instead of members who have signed up is what is each night's high water mark for simultaneous playbacks on a macro level in the ecosystem.

Sadly, this metric is not public knowledge. I would have to believe it is soon to surpass AppleTV and Amazon Instant Video(i.e. what is the largest number of people viewing entertainment media in either streamed or downloaded form simultaneously each night).

This, I feel, is a better metric to gauge acceptance since it is reflective of people integrating the technology into their daily lives. AppleTV may be getting people to buy via EST entertainment media and then download them to their computer's iTunes library, but how many people are actually watching this entertainment content? I would contend that this model is one of novelty like to a restaurant where customers try it, but end up not returning.

I do think the UV model is much more conducive to being universally accepted and integrated into the daily lives of entertainment consumers. Not even mentioning that UV is the only restaurant in town that lets customers bring in their DVDs/Blurays and legally transfer them to the ecosystem for only a nominal fee.

The macro nightly ecosystem wide simultaneous playback high water mark for UV is not going to be near the high water mark of Netfix anytime soon and may never surpass it since it is forecast that SVoD may well beat iVoD in overall acceptance, but I do believe UV will eclipse the numbers of viewers on a nightly basis from the other two leading EST/iVoD vendors (AppleTV & Amazon) sometime this year.

In this aspect, UV will have won the lionshare of the new iVoD market, as is the studios' intention and may well gobble up both Apple and Amazon in the process as one or both join DECE.

Adding 1 million new users per month will translate into an unambiguous uptick in viewers as well. I do agree though, not everyone will be return customers to the UV restaurant. However the same can be said for iTunes. I own an iTunes account, but have not made a single purchase. UV on the other hand has my full economic support and I have shifted all my entertainment media purchases to UV exclusive.

I am sure many of the one million new users per month will be making the same decision. There will also be the UV account holders who were initially dormant who will start to utilize the service. This too will add to the people actually using the technology as apart of their daily lives.

Comment

Working...
            X