Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Disney D2D / UV Pressure:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disney D2D / UV Pressure:

One silver lining in the recent decision by Disney Studios to "Punt" their decision to join DECE into some point in the future, is what customers will be presented with in their current Digital Copy Plus redemption method.

A customer will buy the packaged media of Oz-The Great and Powerful and subsequent Disney Studios releases.

They will go to the Digital Copy Plus web-site and be presented with the three choices.

http://www.digitalcopyplus.com/help/...chooseProvider

Assuming they will want to watch it too on their TV (seems like a reasonable assumption) and the person does not have an AppleTV connected to their family flatscreen (again, a reasonable assumption) there are only two choices left.

Let's just say half of the customers go with the Vudu choice.

Sooner or later, these customers will begin to elect utilizing the D2D program, since the Vudu web-site prominently promotes this unique feature.

These will be Disney fans who will be on-boarding to the UV D2D program...

The pressure will only mount for Disney to join DECE.

It is probably their intention to make the pressure go away by conceding a compromise vs. outright DECE membership.

It seems as though it is likely to have the opposite effect as more and more Disney fans on-board to the D2D UV program, they too will want their Disney DVD / Disney Bluray branded titles added.

Instead of making all of us who are clamoring for them to become DECE members pipe down, they will be just adding to the numbers by sending a steady stream of Disney fans into the community who were previously directed to iTunes.

Re: Disney D2D / UV Pressure:

You are assuming that most of the non-UV consumers will elect VUDU over Amazon and iTunes.

Comment

Originally posted by LuzRinggold View Post
      You are assuming that most of the non-UV consumers will elect VUDU over Amazon and iTunes.

what use to be an iTunes exclusive direction Disney customers were presented with, they now will be adding some percentage of their customers into a community who has as their distinguishing feature, a D2D program that Disney is absent from. It is a catch-22.

The numbers can be debated, but it is for sure an influx of Disney fans will be coming who were previously only able to interact with iTunes.

Comment

Originally posted by Walter-S_North_Carolina View Post
        what use to be an iTunes exclusive direction Disney customers were presented with, they now will be adding some percentage of their customers into a community who has as their distinguishing feature, a D2D program that Disney is absent from. It is a catch-22.

The numbers can be debated, but it is for sure an influx of Disney fans will be coming who were previously only able to interact with iTunes.
        That's just it...the numbers cannot be debated because this hasn't happened yet. We can only make assumptions as to what will happen. I agree that VUDU may pick up a few new customers...how many "a few" are...only time will tell.

At the same time, I think Amazon will pick up a few (maybe even more because of name recognition). Depending on the volume of customers Amazon picks up over Vudu, that could actually prevent Disney from ever adopting UltraViolet.

At the end of the day, this doesn't do anything for UltraViolet until Disney starts to release UV titles and even that wont do as much for UV until Disney allows previously purchased movies to be eligible for disc-to-digital.

Comment

Originally posted by LuzRinggold View Post
          That's just it...the numbers cannot be debated because this hasn't happened yet. We can only make assumptions as to what will happen. I agree that VUDU may pick up a few new customers...how many "a few" are...only time will tell.

At the same time, I think Amazon will pick up a few (maybe even more because of name recognition). Depending on the volume of customers Amazon picks up over Vudu, that could actually prevent Disney from ever adopting UltraViolet.

At the end of the day, this doesn't do anything for UltraViolet until Disney starts to release UV titles and even that wont do as much for UV until Disney allows previously purchased movies to be eligible for disc-to-digital.

Nah,...

The idea that this does nothing for UV just does not stand up to the mustard.

Where there was an absence of Disney customers redeeming digital copies, there now will be a flow stemming from the last studio holding out (Disney) now opening up a path to a DECE member (Vudu).

This flow of Disney customers will be landing into a community who's principle distinguishing feature is a method of legally transferring their existing DVD/Bluray collection into a cloud service for a nominal fee.

I do agree that the numbers in this flow is YTBD, but the fact that there will exist a steady flow of Disney customers where before there were none, can not be discounted, IMHO.

As a side effect, this too will just help to burgeon the numbers of us folk discontent with Disney Studio's absence from DECE membership.

Again, these will be Disney fans/customers who will be on-boarding as a result of the change in Disney Studio's digital copy policy.

BTW, the real coup d'etat will happen when Vudu is placed onto this site.

http://disney.go.com/thewizard/#/pro...dvd/hd-digital

Just think of the fear it will strike into Apple when the last studio who was exclusively sending digital copy traffic to them breaks the exclusive digital copy policy, and instead makes them only one of three and provide confirmation that Apple has lost the digital copy market.

The Vudu logo is only a few days away from being added, I would estimate.

Comment

I'm going to have to disagree with you a little bit, Walter. I don't think this new digital copy system will lead to a lot of new customers for vudu that aren't already aware of it. Amazon and iTunes have close to 100% name recognition, so most customers will choose between Amazon and iTunes. Sure, people will be curious, so there will be a some new customers for vudu, but I don't think it will be enough to cause Disney to see consumer demand for UV support. But, that doesn't mean they won't add UV compatibility soon though.

I present the following excerpt:

Chapek and Iger say Disney's technology is compatible with Ultraviolet.

"It's not our goal to create a format war," Iger said. "It's our goal to create product and to implement technology that ultimately creates more value to the consumer."

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/nov...chest-20101115

Comment

Oz will be a "big" release. I am more interested when Iron Man 3 hits the market or when Monster's University gets released.

I think those two movies will sell more units therefore they will have a greater impact.

The interesting thing about Iron Man 3 is that it was already released with a VUDU preorder code, so Disney already has some numbers on that particular title.

VUDU and Amazon are the winners with DigitalPlus, whether UV is the ultimate winner that remains to be seen.

Comment

I have seen traffic from folks that want Disney digital copy, but refuse to join the Apple camp. There will be some that join Vudu. I would expect if they select by brand, Amazon will have more clout. Some folks will do the research, and some will pick based on what Disney shows them at the time they decide. I've not seen a lot of press on the new Disney options. Maybe in June they'll get moving?

You know Disney wants the digital copy revenue. The folks that refused to use Apple, and giving them more clout at the table with Apple likely pushed them. The pace may be slow so they don't ruin the Apple relationship, or due to contracts with Apple.

There are not many forums discussing digital copy or D2D. I wonder if Disney is watching here too?

Comment

Originally posted by tsken02 View Post
                  I have seen traffic from folks that want Disney digital copy, but refuse to join the Apple camp. There will be some that join Vudu. I would expect if they select by brand, Amazon will have more clout. Some folks will do the research, and some will pick based on what Disney shows them at the time they decide. I've not seen a lot of press on the new Disney options. Maybe in June they'll get moving?

You know Disney wants the digital copy revenue. The folks that refused to use Apple, and giving them more clout at the table with Apple likely pushed them. The pace may be slow so they don't ruin the Apple relationship, or due to contracts with Apple.

There are not many forums discussing digital copy or D2D. I wonder if Disney is watching here too?
                  I agree...I think Amazon will win out in this race and that will do nothing to promote UltraViolet.

We need to start putting pressure on Amazon now to also join UV.

Comment

Originally posted by echopulse View Post
                    I'm going to have to disagree with you a little bit, Walter. I don't think this new digital copy system will lead to a lot of new customers for vudu that aren't already aware of it. Amazon and iTunes have close to 100% name recognition, so most customers will choose between Amazon and iTunes. Sure, people will be curious, so there will be a some new customers for vudu, but I don't think it will be enough to cause Disney to see consumer demand for UV support. But, that doesn't mean they won't add UV compatibility soon though.

I present the following excerpt:

Chapek and Iger say Disney's technology is compatible with Ultraviolet.

"It's not our goal to create a format war," Iger said. "It's our goal to create product and to implement technology that ultimately creates more value to the consumer."

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/nov...chest-20101115
                    Mr. EP,

thank you very much for the LA Times article.

I do agree. The digital copy pump with iTunes written on it is well primed in the minds of Disney customers. Just from shear inertia, they will see a significant chunk of the Digital Copy Plus redemptions.

However, like you wrote, disney fans/customers have android phones in the same numbers as the rest of us. If they want to go mobile with their Digital Copy, the will be forced out of their comfort zone to Vudu.

Also, to watch on a TV in 1080p, there is only one choice. If the customer does not have a top set AppleTV box, Amazon and Vudu are left to choose from.

I disagree that it will be a minuscule number of the Disney digital copy plus pie. I do concede those numbers are YTBD though. Whatever the number may be, there will be a flow of Disney fans asking why their favorite studio is not a DECE member. They like us will be waiting for a good reason. I still fail to see what justification Disney Studios can respond with considering every other Studio is already members.

You and I know it is due to the Keychest history, but now that it is over&done, there is just no justification left for them not to become DECE members. I guess I am holding out hope this will have a tipping point effect.

Time will tell.

Comment

We have to keep in mind that to join Amazon Prime to stream movies a person will need to pay a nice chunk of change. I think it is $79 bucks a year up front. If it was me I would rather go with Vudu and setup a free account to watch my movie instead of paying $79 dollars. Yes, there a lot of benefits that come with the $79 dollar fee but if a person just wants to watch a movie I think they would go with the free route.

Comment

Originally posted by johnmccann1976 View Post
                        We have to keep in mind that to join Amazon Prime to stream movies a person will need to pay a nice chunk of change. I think it is $79 bucks a year up front. If it was me I would rather go with Vudu and setup a free account to watch my movie instead of paying $79 dollars. Yes, there a lot of benefits that come with the $79 dollar fee but if a person just wants to watch a movie I think they would go with the free route.

I forgot about this. We are prime members because we like to get free shipping on things like buying one lightbulb for the fridge and get it from Amazon instead of going to HomeDepot or a bottle brush for the kitchen sink. Free prime shipping is great in times like that.

You are right though. Who wants to spend money to watch a digital copy which should be free? In that case, Vudu is the only streaming provider in the trifecta on the Digital Copy Plus site.

Comment

I have to agree with some of the members here and say that I'm not entirely sure that this is going to generate a butt-load of new customers for Vudu. What I am hoping from this change is that when customers are given one option, that the majority (or at least a good number) will choose Vudu, swaying Disney to support UV. I think that a good portion of those customers are going to be people like myself, who are already adept to the current digital copy practices, and want all of their movies in one place (that one place being Vudu). I currently use most of the UV providers in some fashion, but because of Disney's previous choices, I still use iTunes for digital copy redemption/use. Now that Disney is granting digital copy rights on Vudu, I will no longer need to use iTunes for video playback. I am hoping that Digital Copy Plus impacts both iTunes customers as well as Vudu. I agree that this could change the iVoD market share considerably, but it is not just new customers that will do that, but existing customers need to show their support towards UV providers as well.

Comment

Originally posted by vanton619 View Post
                            I have to agree with some of the members here and say that I'm not entirely sure that this is going to generate a butt-load of new customers for Vudu. What I am hoping from this change is that when customers are given one option, that the majority (or at least a good number) will choose Vudu, swaying Disney to support UV. I think that a good portion of those customers are going to be people like myself, who are already adept to the current digital copy practices, and want all of their movies in one place (that one place being Vudu). I currently use most of the UV providers in some fashion, but because of Disney's previous choices, I still use iTunes for digital copy redemption/use. Now that Disney is granting digital copy rights on Vudu, I will no longer need to use iTunes for video playback. I am hoping that Digital Copy Plus impacts both iTunes customers as well as Vudu. I agree that this could change the iVoD market share considerably, but it is not just new customers that will do that, but existing customers need to show their support towards UV providers as well.

I do agree that Vudu will not see a bottom line revenue bump much of notice from the Disney digital copy policy change. After all, this is just one studio altering their digital copy policy to make Vudu one of three choices. Every other studio already sends 100% of their digital copy traffic to Vudu or other UV partners.

I am more hanging my hat on the hope the influx of Disney fans/customers (in whatever quantity) will spark additional discontent in Disney's customer base with their being obstinate in joining DECE, as every other studio has done. They alone are the holdout and I am hopeful that as more and more Disney customers find their way over here, the outcry will break through the tipping point.

Otherwise, there is a grim path ahead spanning 18 months if my speculation is accurate. I would like to hope the influx of new Disney fans/customers will help to hasten the milestone of Disney Studios joining DECE.

Comment

One does not have to join Amazon Prime to purchase and watch Amazon Instant Video titles. Also, in Jan 2012, Amazon announced they would offer UV titles in their Instant Store, but they have yet to implement it. So I believe it is coming soon, we just don't know when. I would guess by the end of this year. Unless they have reversed the decision, which I don't think is very likely.

Comment

Working...
                              X