Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Disney D2D / UV Pressure:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Disney D2D / UV Pressure:

Originally posted by johnmccann1976 View Post
    We have to keep in mind that to join Amazon Prime to stream movies a person will need to pay a nice chunk of change. I think it is $79 bucks a year up front. If it was me I would rather go with Vudu and setup a free account to watch my movie instead of paying $79 dollars. Yes, there a lot of benefits that come with the $79 dollar fee but if a person just wants to watch a movie I think they would go with the free route.
    That's 6.58 per month...about the same price you pay for a monthly subscription for Hulu or Netflix. While they still don't have near the content as their competition, Amazon does seem to be getting better with their streaming options. Who knows, maybe someday soon they will make this a monthly subscription instead of an annual fee.

Comment

Originally posted by Walter-S_North_Carolina View Post
      I forgot about this. We are prime members because we like to get free shipping on things like buying one lightbulb for the fridge and get it from Amazon instead of going to HomeDepot or a bottle brush for the kitchen sink. Free prime shipping is great in times like that.

You are right though. Who wants to spend money to watch a digital copy which should be free? In that case, Vudu is the only streaming provider in the trifecta on the Digital Copy Plus site.
      Watching movies you own does not require Prime. I've owned a few (non-UV) for several years already. Not sure how Amazon plans to support Disney, but I expect they will not give the business to Vudu.

UV support and D2D are big additions for VUDU.

Comment

I want to echo echopulse's statement: an Amazon Prime subscription is not needed to stream copies of movies you own or rent.

I also echo those who view this as good news for Vudu, but not necessarily for UV. Disney movies have already been available on Vudu for some time. Being listed as an option for Disney buyers on par with Apple and Amazon should be grounds for a hearty night of celebrating by Vudu. Whether that helps lead people to see what else they can do on Vudu (D2D, UV), well...

I guess I fear that this news might actually be terrible for UV (but good for Vudu). Disney is giving customers who buy a physical copy the option to select a digital copy in the walled garden of their choice. Such a choice might satisfy what the majority of people want from a digital copy. I suspect that the groundswell for Disney to support additional walled gardens (Xbox Video immediately comes to mind), will be at least as large as any demand for it to join DECE and support UV.

Comment

A big part of Disney's overall movie strategy is figuring out how to sell the same movies over and over again, be it in different formats VHS, DVD, Bluray, 4K, Platinum edition, Diamond edition, etc, or to the next generation of kids and parents.

If they think the benefits of joining UV will be outweighed by a decrease in their recurring sales they will hold off.

I too find the ability to "Share" my Vudu/UV library to be a wickedly cool feature.

My Brother-in-Law lives near the beach. We recently stayed at his house for his daughter's 1st communion. I activated his Roku connected to the family room plasma to my Vudu account.
          I think that this ability is something that will give them pause. I know this can be done with Apple and Amazon, but it seems to be more promoted with Ultraviolet.

Comment

Originally posted by Grey Ghost View Post
            A big part of Disney's overall movie strategy is figuring out how to sell the same movies over and over again, be it in different formats VHS, DVD, Bluray, 4K, Platinum edition, Diamond edition, etc, or to the next generation of kids and parents.

If they think the benefits of joining UV will be outweighed by a decrease in their recurring sales they will hold off.

I think that this ability is something that will give them pause. I know this can be done with Apple and Amazon, but it seems to be more promoted with Ultraviolet.
            That might be an issue if the only other option was to buy multiple digital copies. Remember I can still hand my DVD's (loan or gift) to my kids and/or grandkids. Until they replace the disc entirely with digital, they can't forget they are losing those sales, and that's vastly more revenue. The feature is there in the digital world to compete with discs, and enable the transition to digital.

The other nasty practice from Disney tied the WMP digital copy to your computer, not to your account. If you got a new computer, you lost your digital copy. That alone forced some folks to iTunes. Unless I can watch my movies, the digital copy has little value.

I agree selling the same movie over and over has been part of the Disney strategy. In general, I hold off on the initial purchase until the prices start to drop. For Disney that can take several years. Just check the prices on Nemo, Wall-e, Monsters, etc. Prices are still higher than many brand-new movies.

Comment

I agree. It is the lack of unilateral control Disney Studios fears in a consortium arrangement. This is why they started their own system (keychest) and also why they are reluctant to embrace DECE membership.

You are right that the value their locker titles command is higher then industry standards which is why their business decisions are out of norm. I too think it is a bit of a corporate culture mentality. I just hope they cross the tipping point sooner rather then later.

Just got back from adding nine titles via D2D (DVD->HDX upgrades) for my children to enjoy;

1) Chicken Run (2000)
              2) Drumline (2002)
              3) Happy Feet (2006)
              4) Joseph King of Dreams (2000)
              5) Millions (2004)
              6) Monsters vs. Aliens (2009)
              7) Secondhand Lions (2003)
              8) Shrek (2001)
              9) Shrek the Third (2007)

...you may notice, none are titles from the Disney Studio locker. Hopefully, they will start to see religion here sometime soon.

Comment

What I haven't seen said here yet is, Disney seems to have realized they can't do this on their own. Remember they had their Disney Movies Online system where you could redeem/stream their movies. That was a miserable failure, mainly because unless you purchased a 3D Blu-ray combo pack, the code you got would only allow you to PURCHASE a streaming copy for $4.99. When that site failed, and they abandoned KeyChest, this was the compromise they came up with.

It's hard to be patient, but these are baby steps for Disney eventually caving to the pressure. I think someone already said the biggest winners here are VUDU/UV and Amazon. To me, this doesn't benefit the iTunes crowd at all. Walter brings up great points in saying there are more Android users and it's difficult to watch your iTunes movies on TV without an AppleTV.

I love Amazon too, but here's the catch with them. Most of the time, digital copies redeemed through Amazon are SD ONLY! The few I have redeemed through Universal have all been SD. The only one I got in HD, if I remember right, was The Hunger Games and that was a bonus for pre-ordering with Amazon. I'm not saying redeeming with VUDU is a guarantee for HDX, or that Disney will give out anything but SD no matter where you redeem, but it seems to me like VUDU is the more likely candidate to give out HDX.

No matter where this discussion goes, the bottom line is things have improved dramatically for being able to get future Disney digital copies into some sort of cloud based service. Only time will tell if they go UV, but for now, I'd say things are on the right track for the future.

Comment

Shadow316,

it should be HDX. Both Apple's iTunes and Amazon now have HD options.

This web site calls their digital copy "HD Digital". I am checking each day for the Vudu logo to be added.

http://disney.go.com/thewizard/#/pro...dvd/hd-digital

On a house keeping item, the first news story has hit.

Jeff Kleist from Technology Tell:

http://www.technologytell.com/homete...iscs-for-plus/

it is confirmed from folks who have their hands on an early release copy that Digital Copy Plus is the new route. The author at Stitch Kingdom must be one of these select few.

-Walter

P.S.: The credit goes to you for first prognosticating an upcoming change when you found the digital copy redemption for Oz in the wrong place (it should of been in the Walmart Exclusive page http://www.vudu.com/redeemecopy.html?api=vudu, but instead it was found by you to be in the general UV redemption page http://www.vudu.com/redeemecopy.html?eccid=417433).

You were the first to recognize that something was different and forecast a change. You were right.

tbdave, then followed up with the news flash from Stitch Kingdom nine days later and the pieces of the puzzle then all fit together.

Very good work by you to recognize this so far in advance!

Comment

Shadow316,

it should be HDX. Both Apple's iTunes and Amazon now have HD options.

This web site calls their digital copy "HD Digital". I am checking each day for the Vudu logo to be added.

http://disney.go.com/thewizard/#/pro...dvd/hd-digital

On a house keeping item, the first news story has hit.

Jeff Kleist from Technology Tell:

http://www.technologytell.com/homete...iscs-for-plus/

it is confirmed from folks who have their hands on an early release copy that Digital Copy Plus is the new route. The author at Stitch Kingdom must be one of these select few.

-Walter

P.S.: The credit goes to you for first prognosticating an upcoming change when you found the digital copy redemption for Oz in the wrong place (it should of been in the Walmart Exclusive page http://www.vudu.com/redeemecopy.html?api=vudu, but instead it was found by you to be in the general UV redemption page http://www.vudu.com/redeemecopy.html?eccid=417433).

You were the first to recognize that something was different and forecast a change. You were right.

tbdave, then followed up with the news flash from Stitch Kingdom nine days later and the pieces of the puzzle then all fit together.

Very good work by you to recognize this so far in advance!
                    Thanks for the kudos, Walter! I just knew that if I posted something about it, that all the great members here who love UV as much as I do would dig up the info about this. You seem to find these great articles about UV out of nowhere, so great job with the research. Let's cross our fingers that this is the start of something great and we can get our Disney catalog in our UV lockers (or on VUDU at the very least!)

Comment

Originally posted by shadow316 View Post
                      Thanks for the kudos, Walter! I just knew that if I posted something about it, that all the great members here who love UV as much as I do would dig up the info about this. You seem to find these great articles about UV out of nowhere, so great job with the research. Let's cross our fingers that this is the start of something great and we can get our Disney catalog in our UV lockers (or on VUDU at the very least!)

You deserve it. It was a stroke of brilliance to recognize something amiss.

google search e-mail alerts is my only magic. I have one cooking currently for "Disney Digital Copy Plus". I get an e-mail anytime google indexes a new matching page.

Added twelve more to my Vudu library via D2D this morning (payday, Yeah!!!).

All were DVD->HDX upgrades. None were from the Disney ranch.

1) The Chorus (2004)
                      2) The Crow (1994)
                      3) Daredevil (2003)
                      4) Fun with Dick and Jane (2005)
                      5) Intolerable Cruelty (2003)
                      6) The Last Samurai (2003)
                      7) Love Actually (2003)
                      8) The Motorcycle Diaries (2004)
                      9) The Pianist (2002)
                      10) Pride & Prejudice (2005)
                      11) Red Dragon (2002)
                      12) Tristan + Isolde (2006)

Comment

New Article; http://hometheater.about.com/b/2013/...-copy-plus.htm

Comment

One way they could achieve that goal is by creating new digital editions of the same movie that require a new purchase to access. Disney could easily create editions on UV, the UV Gold, UV Diamond Edition, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by swiss21 View Post
                            One way they could achieve that goal is by creating new digital editions of the same movie that require a new purchase to access. Disney could easily create editions on UV, the UV Gold, UV Diamond Edition, etc.
                            Don't even give Disney any ideas.

Comment

Working...
                            X