Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Physical vs Digital libraries?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Physical vs Digital libraries?

I'm curious on how many people have gone to digital copies only vs buying physical and just redeeming the digital copy. As I've been moving my current disk collection to UV using the D2D I'm beginning to think purchasing just digital is the easier way to go (as many times it is cheaper, take Oblivion for example, pre-purchase is about $23 vs $15 digial only copy). Many times I purchase the physical copy only to redeem the digital and then the disk is put on the shelf and not looked at again.
    I think I'd feel better if the CFF was available and playable on devices (so I could still have my copy). It seems that this is way past due, but is just around the corner (so they say anyway). I realize that technically speaking the disk is still the best quality, but I do think that Vudu's HDX is very very good, and it's not often that I really notice any real difference. Anyway, I'm curious how many have gone the digital only route vs still holding on to physical copies.

Re: Physical vs Digital libraries?

Originally posted by isu4me View Post
    I'm curious on how many people have gone to digital copies only vs buying physical and just redeeming the digital copy. As I've been moving my current disk collection to UV using the D2D I'm beginning to think purchasing just digital is the easier way to go (as many times it is cheaper, take Oblivion for example, pre-purchase is about $23 vs $15 digial only copy). Many times I purchase the physical copy only to redeem the digital and then the disk is put on the shelf and not looked at again.
    I think I'd feel better if the CFF was available and playable on devices (so I could still have my copy). It seems that this is way past due, but is just around the corner (so they say anyway). I realize that technically speaking the disk is still the best quality, but I do think that Vudu's HDX is very very good, and it's not often that I really notice any real difference. Anyway, I'm curious how many have gone the digital only route vs still holding on to physical copies.
    I will continue to buy physical discs. I watch them at home. My library is in the cloud so my kids (who have moved out of the house) can watch my movies. I just wish that MGM and Disney would get on board so I can get the rest of my collection in the cloud without spending a fortune.

Comment

I do both -- I still buy more discs than I do just VOD, but I mostly buy discs that I know are UV/D2D now, and I don't consider those VOD "purchases", more like add-ons. But I'm also more likely to buy a UV title from Vudu now that I know it will be added to my UV account, and I will be able to access it in the future whether I use Vudu or not.

Comment

I have gone digital only. If I have the movie on vudu, a disc just takes up more room. So I've upgraded about 150 DVD's to HDX, and given the DVD's away to family/friends. After all, with UV, you are allowed to share your collection with up to 6 people right? After all my DVD's were converted, I began to strictly buy EST on vudu or CinemaNow. If I find a blu-ray on a really good sale, I may pick it up but there's not many of those.

Comment

The last time I put a movie into a Bluray player and watched it was September of last year. I know this because my son had friends over for his birthday party and they watched "The Hunger Games" on Bluray.

This was a bit anomalous though. Right after the party, I redeemed the UV version into HDX and the physical media has not been used since.

I am now a digital only consumer. I do buy physical media from the $7.88 bin at WalMart, but only when there are UV codes. The physical copies go right into boxes in my garage without ever having been watched.

All other movie purchases are EST (electronic sell through). I enjoy the convenience.

Comment

Call me a dinosaur, but I'm still rooted in the physical world. I'd convert every DVD & Bluray I own, if I could, but I like having discs. It helped a lot during Superstorm Sandy when we were without power for over a week. My generator had ample power for the bluray player & tv, but my cable/internet provider was down. The only purely e-content I own are the free movies I received when signing up for Vudu, etc, and a few iTunes.

I am also concerned about the definition of "ownership" in the digital world. For example: If you use iTunes, all you own is the right to stream and copy their content to a specified number of devices, etc. You don't actually own the content. So that gives rise to concerns about your heirs (valar morghulis...we all die at some point), i.e. they do not inherit your iTunes account. I'm really not sure how it all works with Ultraviolet, Vudu, Flixster, and others, but I suspect that transferring ownership will be problematic. Not so with my discs.

Comment

When you own only the UV copy you cant loan it out or bring it to a friends house etc. You are pretty much stuck on playing it on your TV. None of my friends are using UV and have no interest in it really, so they just want the disc. The $14.99 advance purchases like Oblivion are tempting but keep in mind you are only getting the UV copy which is really worth maybe $5. In the end, it's probably better to wait and get both the disc and UV for a little more. For the movies i really love i get the disc and UV, the rest i am storing in the UV cloud and watch on VUDU. I have about 50 discs, 250 UV titles on VUDU

Comment

I am struggling with this one. I am on the fence. I am leaning toward going digital only I think, but haven't fully committed. I think once CFF comes into play and takes hold, and if the video and audio quality of the files are good, then this will knock me over the fence to the digital-only side. Right now I'm streaming about 80 to 90% of my movie watching on vudu.

Comment

Originally posted by quackman View Post
                  I am struggling with this one. I am on the fence. I am leaning toward going digital only I think, but haven't fully committed. I think once CFF comes into play and takes hold, and if the video and audio quality of the files are good, then this will knock me over the fence to the digital-only side. Right now I'm streaming about 80 to 90% of my movie watching on vudu.
                  I Feel that this is where I am as well. I'm kind of waiting for the CFF to come out and be easily playable on devices (and that the quality is at least equally as good as VUDU HDX). I think that this will push me over the edge to digital only. I currently have 6 18 gallon tubs filled with DVD and Blu ray movies just stored away in the basement. The only reason that I keep them is for backup purposes - since not all my movies are in the cloud I have them ripped (dvd and blue ray) to MKV files. It's just getting the point where always doing this is starting to become a pain.

Comment

I only buy discs that I know are UltraViolet and d2d. Usually I buy most Blu-rays during the Upgrade and Save sale for

less than 5.00 like Cabin in the Woods and Friends with Benefits which both had UltraViolet codes but sometimes I buy

from Walmarts blue bin for 7.88 or a couple other stores that have 5.00 Blu-rays. I dont buy digital copies.

Comment

Originally posted by isu4me View Post
                      ...since not all my movies are in the cloud I have them ripped (dvd and blue ray) to MKV files. It's just getting the point where always doing this is starting to become a pain.

...to get my free time back,

...to be able to sleep at night not worrying about a hdd crash,

...to have it done by a pro,

I gladly cough up the $2/$5 per title and have pristine playback available for perpetuity.

at least that is my view.

Further, I have departed into the digital ocean of my purchase history, leaving the physical media coast to disappear on the horizon.

I boldly proclaim, "I AM AN E.S.T. MAN" from now on.

Hurumph!

Comment

I use to be a Vudu buying nerd, but back to buying discs with trolleys full of blu ray. I needed some d2d fuel.

Comment

I am putting all my DVD's and Blu Rays on VuDu, but I am keeping all the disc just in case something happens and VuDu goes the way of the dodo bird. That way I only lose the digital only copies. We lost quite a bit of money when Wal-Mart stopped doing the mp3 downloads.

Tony

Comment

I normally buy BD during the Best Buy's Upgrade and Save promo and come with an UV code or D2D. I have not done EST because I rather have the BD as back up. I normally stream movies from Vudu on my Roku 3 instead of using the BD since it puts less wear and tear on my PS3's. I wish Disney would allow old digital copy codes to be redeem on Vudu in HDX.

For the people worried about your family getting to access your Vudu, iTunes, ect accounts after you pass you could share your email address and password for each service. My brother and I share an iTunes account because we both spent money on building a collection and we only use that password for Vudu, iTunes, ect accounts only. I realize this would only work if you trusted the other person to not change the name on the account and password.

Comment

I've been successfully resisting non-UV titles, but still buying mostly Blu-ray disc's. I did pick up a couple of the 4 movie DVD's at Walmart that came with UV.

I'm not quite ready to give up having physical copies. Maybe CFF will give me the confidence, but I'm not quite there yet.

I do have about 6 movies that are digital only. Nothing I really care about though. They were almost all free.

Comment

Working...
                              X