Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

D2D: In-Store vs. In-Home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

D2D: In-Store vs. In-Home

I hear the accounts of folks fighting the D2D In-Home application. I suspect it has about a 90% success rate with reading discs and converting them correctly. Perhaps 95%.

Also, for folks who do not have a Bluray Disc player built into their computer/laptop they are left to go out and buy an external one or just forgo all the Bluray conversions via In-Home.

I work in technology. I do understand the convenience of doing D2D transactions in-home.
    1. Fosters impulse purchases (good for Vudu)
    2. Provides ease and instant access to the D2D program
    3. Let's people who would of otherwise not done so, participate
    4. Has a novelty effect from instant gratification purchasing
    5. Saves the hassle of travel to a retail store

I also know that when given the choice, I personally prefer to take the route that I know will always be successful.

I know having never used the In-Home D2D app that I have lost out on the 50% offer. However, prior to the advent of the 50% beta testing special, I had completed converting my physical library and was just sniping as titles I was waiting on became D2D eligible. During the offer, I only did one D2D transaction. So for me, I did not loose out on anything over the last month.

With the 50% beta testing offer coming to a close, I was wondering if I was alone in preferring the in-store option for doing D2D transaction. Now that the costs of the two are again the same, I see the more reliable method as the better one.

I was/am very deliberate in my D2D transactions. I recognize that these titles will be around for a very long time. For me, when I go to make a D2D transaction, I prefer to do so the way I know I will have zero problems.

I did just under 200. I had a total of zero problems. It was 100% successful.

Plus, I really enjoyed travelling to my local Wal-Mart and being able to browse the movie aisles for a spell to see the new releases.

Am I alone in preferring the In-Store method?

It seems from reading the posts on the forum that I am and I just wanted to see if I was the last remaining dinosaur in a community that has moved on to in-home purchases for their D2D transactions.

Re: D2D: In-Store vs. In-Home

Even when the price is the same I prefer VuduToGo. My nearest Walmart is 25-30 minutes and about $3 in gas each way, and it's nowhere near on my way to work or anyone I know. Meanwhile, I may have wasted about one round-trip's worth of my time in trying different discs at home....but with all the new titles that have been added since this started, I would had to have made 5 or 10 trips to do what I have done in the comfort of my home.

Once the promotion is over, if the titles that VuduToGo can't recognize haven't been fixed in some months, I might take them all to Walmart at some point, but only if I can do a lot of movies or a few that I really love in one trip.

Comment

Originally posted by Walter-S_North_Carolina View Post
      I hear the accounts of folks fighting the D2D In-Home application. I suspect it has about a 90% success rate with reading discs and converting them correctly. Perhaps 95%.
      No, it's more like 40% to 50$ success rate. It used to be much higher before they started the discount.

Now that CinemaNow has an updated list of D2D titles, I use them as much as possible when Vudu TOGO fails to do it's job. When the title isn't available on CinemaNow then I check Flixster and when all else fails I take them to Walmart.

Comment

Originally posted by LuzRinggold View Post
        No, it's more like 40% to 50$ success rate. It used to be much higher before they started the discount.

Now that CinemaNow has an updated list of D2D titles, I use them as much as possible when Vudu TOGO fails to do it's job. When the title isn't available on CinemaNow then I check Flixster and when all else fails I take them to Walmart.
        I think it varies by person. My experience has been about 99% success with DVDs and about 90% with blu rays and I've done a lot of movies and saw no difference before or after the promo started.

Comment

In my experience it is around 75% because I was able to convert using VuduToGo around 200 and around 50 didn't work.

Comment

interesting...

I guess my thought is that this is still an aggravation I fail to see the need to put up with. If I were like MaxH who had to drive 30-45 minutes to get to a photo counter, I could see reason. However, I have three super centers 10 minutes from my house in three different directions. I load my current hit list, print, and then off to see my friends at the photo counter. I am on a first name basis with the photo counter crew.

Plus, I get to browse the current titles in the movie aisle. It seems better the way I do it, but that is just me.

Not sure if anyone agrees or not. Maybe I am just old fashion or set in my ways.

Comment

I MUCH prefer the in home service, for a few reasons.

1) Time. While my Walmart is close (about a 10 minute drive) it's still going to be an hour process before I get home (see #2 below). Doing it at home is MUCH faster, provided of course that the disk(s) are recognized in the first place.

2) Frustration. According to my Walmart, since this d2d started they have had a total of 6 transactions...5 of which were from me. :-) Which means no one at my store is really familiar with what needs to be done or how to do it quickly. Every single time they have to pull out the instruction book and learn or refresh themselves on how to do it. This of course adds tremendously to my time. Also, since they do it so rarely things get 'misplaced', like the stamp they are supposed to put on the disks. Last time I was there they couldn't find the stamp and it took them 15 minutes to locate it, then they had to ink it as it was dry. Needless to say my experiences with in store d2d has been frustrating, though in the end it all worked out.

I currently have some 420 or so movies on Vudu...90% of which are in home d2d conversions, the rest being from codes where I've bought movies and the 20 or so that I've done in store. I currently have another 10 or so movies that are d2d eligible, but not recognized by at home, and I'm waiting patiently for them to finally work so I don't have to take them to Walmart. Just my thoughts.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Walter-S_North_Carolina View Post
                  No, it's more like 40% to 50% success rate. It used to be much higher before they started the discount.

Comment

I have taken movies to Walmart several times and find it very frustrating. Sometimes I'm there for 30 to 45 minutes just waiting and watching them trying to figure out how to convert a few movies. The employees are never trained how to do it, even though it is really a very easy process. I try to help them and sometimes that goes well, but it just depends on the employee. One time I went there and, after waiting 30 minutes for help, they said they didn't have anybody there who knows what to do and so couldn't help me. I went home. I wish I had another Walmart close by, but this one is my only reasonable choice.

So, based on my experience with my local Walmart, I try in-home D2D first and then go to Walmart only when I have movies which won't convert, which unfortunately is about half the movies I have tried.

Comment

I have heard from a few Vudu D2D enthusiast that they run into a stumbling block with Wal-Mart staff being unaware of the program or how to complete the D2D transactions, needing to spend cycles learning a process they are unfamiliar with.

I guess I can concede this is a problem. I had it too the first time or two.

However, I took in another batch every two weeks every time I got paid. I paid my way through my D2D journey with cash money on my paydays.

I guess me showing up every two weeks got all the staff at my local Wal-Mart trained. Now, we all know each other by first name and it takes all of two minutes.

As I indicated, I also have time to browse the movie aisles after and for me it is just an easier process. Also, one I enjoy more.

I just like the 100% success rate. After all, this is something I am suppose to enjoy. The treks into the photo counter are an event that I do enjoy better then feeding a disc into a cd tray.

I guess I am just different. I'll chalk it up to eccentricity, idiosyncrasy, terminal uniqueness, etc...

Comment

No, it's more like 40% to 50% success rate. It used to be much higher before they started the discount.

For you it may be that low. For a lot of us it's around 90%. There is no static percentage as all our collections are different. Plus, vudu is still in beta. If these problems persist out of beta then i think there is more room for complaints. Cinemanow is out of beta so it's logical to assume they have better success rates.

Comment

Originally posted by madmod20061 View Post
                          ... Cinemanow is out of beta so it's logical to assume they have better success rates.
                          Also, Vudu is the only one doing blu-ray D2D. Flixster and CinemaNow still don't do blu-ray conversions which is a mystery to me?

Comment

Originally posted by madmod20061 View Post
                            For you it may be that low. For a lot of us it's around 90%. There is no static percentage as all our collections are different. Plus, vudu is still in beta. If these problems persist out of beta then i think there is more room for complaints. Cinemanow is out of beta so it's logical to assume they have better success rates.
                            My real "complaint" is that I seemed to be having a higher success rate before they added the 50% discount. I finally gave up on trying to get the discount. I just bought another movie yesterday for the kids, Mouse Hunt, and tried to convert it and it will not work in Vudu TOGO either. Big surprise! CinemaNow and Flixster do not have it so I will have to take it to Walmart.

Comment

Originally posted by lujan View Post
                              Also, Vudu is the only one doing blu-ray D2D. Flixster and CinemaNow still don't do blu-ray conversions which is a mystery to me?
                              Yes. Put a blu ray in and they have no problem reading them. You just get a message stating blu rays are not supported. Why not just support them. Oh well.

Comment

Working...
                              X