Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Cord Cutting cont...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cord Cutting cont...

Originally posted by Walter-S_North_Carolina View Post
    Yes, this would be great.

add to it HBO.go, History Channel. Both are sporting slick Roku & AppleTV channels that are just begging for stand alone subscriptions.

Hopefully soon, but I just think their sugar mama is going to keep them from pulling that trigger as long as they can.

Don't get me wrong...I know it's going to be as big of a battle as getting Disney to join UV! It will take millions of us asking for it and cutting the cord. Until we the viewers commit to that approach to viewing television it will not happen...thing will continue the way they always have.

Another thing that I am looking for is for high speed internet rates to come down. $50 a month is too much to be charging these days in my opinion.

Comment

Well, I'll start with a point of agreement: I'd rather build and stream my own collection through Vudu/UV than subscribe to premium movie channels. Haven't subscribed to any of those channels in 3 years, but watch plenty of movies (and have purchased more than one season of premium TV through Vudu).

Every major tech company has made noise about streaming TV channels, but none have apparently offered the content providers terms that would draw them away from their primary relationships with cable/satellite providers. Until somebody offers that, I ain't gonna argue about it.

Because of the bundling with broadband (a necessity to use Vudu), actual TV packages from cable cos. end up in some weird "sweet spot", particularly if you've already invested in your own hardware (media center, TiVo, etc.). My broadband bill would go up if we "cut the cord", so between sports and the various other channels we watch regularly (food, animal planet, syfy), we never end up cutting. If I had to rent equipment or pay both a satellite and broadband provider, I'd probably feel differently.

As for Aereo's cloud DVR service for local broadcast...I guess I've just been recording OTA stuff to my PC for so long, I can't understand the appeal. In any event, I suspect it's at least as likely that an Aereo win would be terrible for cord-cutters. The broadcasters and sports leagues are on record saying they'll abandon the airwaves. Not sure this should be entirely dismissed as bluster, since the networks would face the specter of every cable/satellite provider licensing Aereo's antenna technology.

I'll end by repeating what I agree with: Vudu > subscribing to premium movie channels.

Comment

I use to be ~$150.00 per month for TV service. Now, I put about half of that into Vudu purchases and MRC with NetFlix / Amazon Prime. This makes my content all streaming. Some is static (Vudu) and some is revolving (NetFlix / AP). Having done this for awhile now, I am much more happy with the content then when I was paying for cable/satellite service. For a reduction in cost, I get to have more revolving content and build a static library. That is a good deal with very real value. In my case, it rides on a naked DSL so I have no TV service what-so-ever.

As far as Aereo goes, I do know you can get a card for a PC and if it is setup in your home that way then there is no need to jump that I can think of. Instead, I think it will be a big piece of the streaming mix as more newbees get on-boarded into a cord cutting streaming mix.

Having a turn key app to do the dvr of OTA content instead of having to PLEX it onto a PC I think will be important.

Comment

I'm finally going to be cutting my cord this month or next. I've taken DirecTV from $150 down to $80. My real problem here is that even if the programming is $50 there is $30 in fees. A fee to have a DVR and fee for an HD receiver. Even if it's one box you pay both. A fee for HD. A fee for Whole Home, even if you only have one box.

I've got Google Voice for phone $0

Also got FIOS for $50
          Netflix $8 (or so, as I get gift cards for discount)
          Hulu+ $15 (or so, as I get gift cards for discount)
          Amazon PRIME (don't consider since I bought for shipping anyway)

As I've summarized in the past 90% of what I watch on DirecTV could be purchased from Vudu TV with season passes and what not for half of what DirecTV wants. Even without that 30%+ is available for free(ish) between Netflix, Hulu+, Amazon Prime. But there are holes, restrictions, etc; let alone multiple apps where Vudu just integrates it all.

Aereo is nice. But that's ANOTHER $8 / month on top of Netflix, Hulu+, Amazon Prime. It also isn't available in Western states.

My choice this week was Simple.TV, they just announced a new(er) 4-tuner hardware unit. The box it's and "lifetime" subscription is $400. Sure thats more than $8 month for Aereo, but here's the nice bit there old(er) 2-tuner box is on closeout right now for $100-125 WITH lifetime subscription which is generally $150 buy itself. I picked up one from a seller for $80 with valid lifetime. That's 10 months of Aereo and if I want to quite I can sell the box and get my money back. GREAT deal. They also offer streaming on (almost) any device for that price. NICE.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremymc7 View Post
            I'm finally going to be cutting my cord this month or next. I've taken DirecTV from $150 down to $80. My real problem here is that even if the programming is $50 there is $30 in fees. A fee to have a DVR and fee for an HD receiver. Even if it's one box you pay both. A fee for HD. A fee for Whole Home, even if you only have one box.
            I am not suggesting that you switch providers, but Dish Network provides HD for free. You local over-the-air channels are most likely HD also...and they are free with an antenna. In fact, I am suggesting that you do follow through with your plans to cut the cord. You will enjoy a savings of about $1000 per year (minus whatever you spend on season passes).

Regarding season passes and having access to on-demand content...there is something to be said for being able to watch WHAT YOU WANT and WHEN YOU WANT instead of having to follow a network's schedule.

Aereo is nice. But that's ANOTHER $8 / month on top of Netflix, Hulu+, Amazon Prime. It also isn't available in Western states.
            Aereo is only available in a few cities. I assume it's available in yours...it's not available here. SimpleTV requires an additional box and is somewhat expensive compared to just buying an antenna. According to their website, SimpleTV also wouldn't give me half of the channels that are available in my area (Me TV is one channel it doesn't show and that is now our #1 watched channel).

I can get all the channels with my antenna for free, so I can't see myself paying them for something I already have. The added DVR feature sounds interesting...I have often wondered why Roku didn't incorporate some type of DVR capability into their devices for live streaming channels. If you don't have an antenna then you should look into getting one.

Comment

I was surprised how much value the Chromecast added. I used to run an HDMI cable from the TV, across the living room to my laptop while sharing video or web content (usually Flickr or social media), but now all I need to do is click the Google Cast button on my browser, and the Chromecast even switches inputs on the TV for me. (Of course, I have to switch them back when I'm done, as the Chromecast can't know which input I want to use next, but that's easy.) When the football game ruined our DVR recording of The Simpsons, I found the episode on Fox.com and Cast it for our family. The hardest part of that was Fox's crappy player.

The only drawback I've found is that on my home theater setup I need to switch the audio output from the home theater receiver to the TV speakers, but I've gotten used to that. I liked it so much that I already got a second one for our second TV.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxH View Post
                I was surprised how much value the Chromecast added. I used to run an HDMI cable from the TV, across the living room to my laptop while sharing video or web content (usually Flickr or social media), but now all I need to do is click the Google Cast button on my browser, and the Chromecast even switches inputs on the TV for me. (Of course, I have to switch them back when I'm done, as the Chromecast can't know which input I want to use next, but that's easy.) When the football game ruined our DVR recording of The Simpsons, I found the episode on Fox.com and Cast it for our family. The hardest part of that was Fox's crappy player.

The only drawback I've found is that on my home theater setup I need to switch the audio output from the home theater receiver to the TV speakers, but I've gotten used to that. I liked it so much that I already got a second one for our second TV.
                You probably have an optical out on the HDTV you can send to the receiver (what I do) so any additional TV inputs You use still get their audio passed to the home theater (ie retro gaming systems, iPad, etc).

Comment

Is Chromecast similar to the PlayCast Roku channel? What additional software is required to use it? Are you able to watch ESPN3 on TV?

Comment

Originally posted by LuzRinggold View Post
                    Is Chromecast similar to the PlayCast Roku channel? What additional software is required to use it? Are you able to watch ESPN3 on TV?
                    It's more like a dongle that easily allows your phone, tablet, and computer to stream to your TV. Many programs are Chromecast-ready, meaning there's a button in the app to send the video or display to your TV via the Chromecast. YouTube, Netflix, and (obviously) Google Play offer this integration, but to me the best part is the Chrome browser extension allowing you to cast a browser tab, meaning you can send any video you can play on your computer to your TV. I'm hoping Vudu and many other apps will integrate casting soon.

http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome...cast/apps.html

And Speedaddict, thanks for the reminder, but I've got about 4 or 5 different inputs going to my AV receiver, so I'd have to switch that anyway. Right now it's easier for me to just switch the TV's output to allow the TV speakers (they're normally off when the audio system is on).

Comment

It's more like a dongle that easily allows your phone, tablet, and computer to stream to your TV. Many programs are Chromecast-ready, meaning there's a button in the app to send the video or display to your TV via the Chromecast. YouTube, Netflix, and (obviously) Google Play offer this integration, but to me the best part is the Chrome browser extension allowing you to cast a browser tab, meaning you can send any video you can play on your computer to your TV. I'm hoping Vudu and many other apps will integrate casting soon.
                      Where is the "button" in Chrome? Is there something additional that I have to install on my computer to use Chromecast? I am just wanting to see how many of the websites I visit are "Chromecast-ready". ESPN3 is a big one, but I am guessing that since the video opens up into a separate window that it will not be supported.

Comment

Where is the "button" in Chrome? Is there something additional that I have to install on my computer to use Chromecast? I am just wanting to see how many of the websites I visit are "Chromecast-ready". ESPN3 is a big one, but I am guessing that since the video opens up into a separate window that it will not be supported.
                        It just requires the Google Cast extension for Chrome browsers. You can cast any browser tab, sites don't have to be Chromecast-ready, although it is nice. You won't see the site integration unless you have a Chromecast device available anyway. And I was able to take the ESPN player URL from that stupid popup window and paste it into a tab. When I've done this with other video on other web sites, the full screen mode worked beautifully. When I did that from Fox.com, The Simpsons was a little pixelated at first, but after a minute it looked like HD.

Comment

Looks like my reply wasn't fast enough.

MaxH pretty much covered everything.

Comment

I am in the middle of debating this. The net neutrality thing scares me a bit, but I don't hit the "caps" that Comcast has in place most of the time anyway.

There are really two shows on cable that are watched in our household--The Walking Dead (got the wife into it, YAY!) and Dance Moms (no amount of love from me on that show--that is my wife's thing). My cheapskateness tells me that if I buy the seasons here, I can save some money from not having the cable service. But, with the whole net neutrality thing, that throws a kink in my plans. If I start to use Vudu, Amazon Instant Video, or Netflix more, then they can slow it down.

I guess it's a "wait and see" thing for me.

Comment

It just requires the Google Cast extension for Chrome browsers. You can cast any browser tab, sites don't have to be Chromecast-ready, although it is nice. You won't see the site integration unless you have a Chromecast device available anyway. And I was able to take the ESPN player URL from that stupid popup window and paste it into a tab. When I've done this with other video on other web sites, the full screen mode worked beautifully. When I did that from Fox.com, The Simpsons was a little pixelated at first, but after a minute it looked like HD.
                              I went out and bought myself a Chomecast today and I get a pink screen on all websites that I cast. I guess I will be taking this thing back on Monday to get my money back...doesn't really work! It will work for Netflix, YouTube, and a very few other sites...but I don't need it for those sites. I was hoping to view ESPN3, FearNet.com, and CBS on-demand content on my TV but it doesn't work.

Comment

I went out and bought myself a Chomecast today and I get a pink screen on all websites that I cast. I guess I will be taking this thing back on Monday to get my money back...doesn't really work! It will work for Netflix, YouTube, and a very few other sites...but I don't need it for those sites. I was hoping to view ESPN3, FearNet.com, and CBS on-demand content on my TV but it doesn't work.
                                This supposedly works for some people experiencing the pink screen issue. Go into Chrome's Settings menu, click the show advanced settings link, scroll down to the bottom of the page, uncheck "Use hardware acceleration when available" and then restart your browser and try to cast a tab again.

Good luck, I hope that helps!

Comment

Working...
                                X