Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Cord Cutting cont...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cord Cutting cont...

Originally posted by Walter-S_North_Carolina View Post
    This trend is picking up steam
    I do believe you are correct. "Cord cutting" certainly is popular on videophile/electronic tech websites, though I'm just not sure how far along this has come with average viewers.

A new Hulu+ killing app called Aereo is positioning themselves to put the final nail in the cable/satellite providers coffin after the Supreme Court hears a case about them.
    I think that is far from a foregone conclusion. I just took a look at Aereo the other day and think it's a great concept. It certainly addresses one of the big issues with OTA viewing today, namely the lack of user friendly OTA DVRs which they obviate with their cloud. The big question I have is if the SCOTUS case allows things to continue developing as a cost-effective option, will they penetrate into non-metro areas and be available everywhere? Besides, this still offers nothing to address live/near immediate time-shifted cable/satellite programming that is not available OTA.

Part of this depends on what any given individual's expectations are regarding what content they wish to watch and what delay they will accept until they view it. I probably represent an outlier for a few reasons but doubt I'm alone. First, I live in the back of beyond (not really but for purpose of this discussion it fits) and cannot receive all of the major networks OTA. I'm actually not sure how many I could receive without a significant investment in an antenna system (something I've researched in the past), though it's unlikely I could receive all. Aereo is nowhere near offering services in my area and only time will tell if that will come to fruition. That still wouldn't begin to address cable/satellite only networks, especially sports. I've participated in many "a la carte" discussion over time and remain skeptical that will ever happen, at least to provide any meaningful savings for most cable customers.

Truth be told I'm sure I spend too much right now on my entertainment package: Gold cable package with all of the premium channels and Netflix streaming and disc package. I have Amazon Prime too, though that's included with Amazon Prime so not an additional charge. What do I get for that? Convenience and for me it's affordable. I've been thinking about trimming though haven't come to a firm conclusion. Don't see going below a basic/expanded cable package unless the way one can purchase content changes dramatically.

IMHO, as streaming becomes the defacto standard for media playback more and more, Vudu will continue to see a mass influx. I believe I am correct in saying that the two are tied.
    I'm new to VUDU/UV and like where this is going and my experience so far. It's been a very nice and economical way to convert my HDDVDs and upgrade some DVD to HiDef. As a plus I have a rock-solid 30/4 (usually closer to 50MB down) internet connection and while there technically is a download cap, my area is so sparse it's doubtful that will be enforced anytime soon if ever. Bundling cable, internet and phone certainly offers me some savings. Where this Net Neutrality issue ends up and what will happen to broadband prices over time will certainly play a major role in whether everybody cuts the cord IMO.

Comment

Doc,

Cord cutting is a very real mass market trend. tWSJ did a lengthy piece on it in November of last year.

You are new. I do fully understand your point of view. I once thought as you do now.

Here is what flipped me. When I assessed the volume of content my household had at its fingertips, the numbers were staggering. Even if we did not sleep, dropped out of society and did nothing but watch TV, we would still not consume it all. It was utter madness to think we could.

When I looked at the different avenues of content, the streaming method would drop a ~$150.00 chunk from the household MRC. During this time, NetFlix dramatically improved their revolving content offerings and I was amassing a respectable number of titles in the static Vudu library via their D2D program.

For me, the choice was very easy to make.

As for Aereo, when they light a viewing area, the whole viewing area is lit. You would not need an atenna if they offered their service in your viewing area and their app is free. It is just the DVR feature which has an eight dollar MRC tied to it. If they lit your viewing area, you would have access to OTA programming in HD, free of charge. Something you do not have now, by the sounds of it.

Comment

Originally posted by jediwizard79 View Post
        I am in the middle of debating this. The net neutrality thing scares me a bit, but I don't hit the "caps" that Comcast has in place most of the time anyway.

There are really two shows on cable that are watched in our household--The Walking Dead (got the wife into it, YAY!) and Dance Moms (no amount of love from me on that show--that is my wife's thing). My cheapskateness tells me that if I buy the seasons here, I can save some money from not having the cable service. But, with the whole net neutrality thing, that throws a kink in my plans. If I start to use Vudu, Amazon Instant Video, or Netflix more, then they can slow it down.

I guess it's a "wait and see" thing for me.
        Mr. Wizard,

Hi. My personal view of the Net Nutrality thing is different from yours. I work for an ISP though. If an ISP did as you say and turned off your ability to stream content to you TVs, they would go out of business very quickly.

Comment

Doc,

Cord cutting is a very real mass market trend.
          I did google this and see that you're correct. Not that I didn't believe you!
          Here is what flipped me. When I assessed the volume of content my household had at its fingertips, the numbers were staggering. Even if we did not sleep, dropped out of society and did nothing but watch TV, we would still not consume it all. It was utter madness to think we could.
          I do understand that but what it doesn't address is the ability to watch what I want to watch, when I want to watch it, again referring to programs only available on cable stations like sports where I want to see it now or time delayed to when I get home from work, not next year. There may come a time where that no longer matters to me. Honestly most of my TV time is movies and you're right, when I watch any given title is largely irrelevant.
          During this time, NetFlix dramatically improved their revolving content offerings
          This is definitely the case and I look forward to a time when their entire catalog is available online and disc mailers are a thing of the past for customers who wish.
          As for Aereo, when they light a viewing area, the whole viewing area is lit. You would not need an atenna if they offered their service in your viewing area and their app is free. It is just the DVR feature which has an eight dollar MRC tied to it. If they lit your viewing area, you would have access to OTA programming in HD, free of charge.
          I understand that, I just don't know if and when my area will be served. As it's online, I wouldn't imagine there would be any physical impediment, though I have no idea what obstacles they might face in dealing with broadcasters region by region.
          Something you do not have now, by the sounds of it.
          That's correct. My "back of beyond' comment is quite applicable.

I appreciate your thoughtful response.

Comment

Originally posted by DocCasualty View Post
            I do understand that but what it doesn't address is the ability to watch what I want to watch, when I want to watch it, again referring to programs only available on cable stations like sports where I want to see it now or time delayed to when I get home from work, not next year.
            The general consensus of cord cutting assessment forums (places to go to see if cord cutting is for you), is if the OTA sports broadcasts are insufficient to fulfill your sports programming needs, then cord cutting is not for you. In that case, it is best for you to stay with your cable / satellite provider.

Otherwise, it is.

Dropping a cable / satellite bill and putting a portion of that MRC into revolving content subscriptions and electronic purchases leaves no holes otherwise and ends up costing less.

Comment

The general consensus of cord cutting assessment forums (places to go to see if cord cutting is for you), is if the OTA sports broadcasts are insufficient to fulfill your sports programming needs, then cord cutting is not for you. In that case, it is best for you to stay with your cable / satellite provider.

Otherwise, it is.

Dropping a cable / satellite bill and putting a portion of that MRC into revolving content subscriptions and electronic purchases leaves no holes otherwise and ends up costing less.
              Or, perhaps cutting the cord is for those who watch sports and then use some of the money you save to spend at a sports bar watching the games that are not on your TV.

Comment

Otherwise, it is.

I am a sports fanatic, so I'm one of those who will hold onto cable/satellite. But that is the only reason. If there is ever a day when we can simply pay for the channels we want, I will only pay for the sports channels, use OTA, and watch everything else on my roku, ps3, and apple tv. Not holding my breath though for this day to come!

Comment

Originally posted by quackman View Post
                  I am a sports fanatic, so I'm one of those who will hold onto cable/satellite. But that is the only reason. If there is ever a day when we can simply pay for the channels we want, I will only pay for the sports channels, use OTA, and watch everything else on my roku, ps3, and apple tv. Not holding my breath though for this day to come!
                  Who knows...sports, especially football, are going through a lot of changes these days. They may rethink things like blackout rules and such.

If college football players get their way and are able to form a union that requires universities to provide insurance to athletes, and maybe even pay their players, then they may start looking for new ways to generate revenue. Especially if this cord cutting trend continues.

The technology is in place for us to take the next step. We shouldn't allow satellite and cable companies to hold it back. Sports would really be awesome...watch live streaming of the game or don't worry about trying to follow ESPN's schedule and live your life knowing that you can watch the game on demand at your leisure.

If I were ESPN then I think I would have a Roku and smart TV app that allows people to watch all the ESPN channels. Any time ESPN news is on it would be free streaming. If you wanted to watch football, basketball, etc. then you would pay a fee per sport. If your like me and only watch college football then you would pay a fee for that. If you like football and basketball then you would pay for both of those sports. Sort of like season pass for a television show, except it would be a season pass per sport.

Comment

As a sports fan, I know it's keeping me from cutting the cord.

But honestly, I don't think my fianc? would ever let me. She'll put on Food Network or SyFy, and just leave it on, even if she isn't watching. She likes the passive programming experience .

Comment

Originally posted by nyunole View Post
                      As a sports fan, I know it's keeping me from cutting the cord.

But honestly, I don't think my fianc? would ever let me. She'll put on Food Network or SyFy, and just leave it on, even if she isn't watching. She likes the passive programming experience .
                      I do know of which you speak.

If you and your fiancee came to the choice, is the passive programming expirence worth the entirety of an MSO / Satillite monthly bill? Cord cutters do address this change in forums, if you two ever come to the point of looking at it as an alternative.

Comment

The Aereo case is being heard today by the Supreme Court....

Comment

The Aereo case is being heard today by the Supreme Court....
                          Yep. Been waiting for this one. Aereo gets 30 minutes. All the broadcasters get a total of 30 minutes.

This could change everything, or it could change nothing. And it doesn't have anything to do with the way the case turns out either. If Aereo wins broadcasters has pretty much implied they will just drive them out of business. If Aereo looses it could make it illegal to have a SlingBox, EyeTV, MythTV, etc where's it's "re-broadcasting" "LIKE" Aereo.

This isn't going to get settled today.

But if Aereo wins and Western states open up, even just for a year or so until other streaming gets more settled, I'll be THRILLED.

Broadcast is STUCK back in the sixties for the most part. There have been a number of pieces in the press lately about how the VCR and a lot of other tech has been delayed and crippled due to broadcasters.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremymc7 View Post
                            Yep. Been waiting for this one. Aereo gets 30 minutes. All the broadcasters get a total of 30 minutes.

This could change everything, or it could change nothing. And it doesn't have anything to do with the way the case turns out either. If Aereo wins broadcasters has pretty much implied they will just drive them out of business. If Aereo looses it could make it illegal to have a SlingBox, EyeTV, MythTV, etc where's it's "re-broadcasting" "LIKE" Aereo.

This isn't going to get settled today.

But if Aereo wins and Western states open up, even just for a year or so until other streaming gets more settled, I'll be THRILLED.

Broadcast is STUCK back in the sixties for the most part. There have been a number of pieces in the press lately about how the VCR and a lot of other tech has been delayed and crippled due to broadcasters.
                            I agree. This case has the potential to reshape the television industry. If Aereo wins (we find out this summer) a catalyst will occur to make OTT streaming providers like Vudu mainstream, since all the networks will be developing their own OTT apps trying to put Aereo out of business before they get a foothold.

Even if they do not win, the press about cord cutting is good for OTT streaming providers. They only benefit from the topic being passionately discussed, which in turn continues to raise awareness. Either way, Vudu wins. Just more so with a ruling in favor of Aereo.

...at least, that is my view.

FYI, audio recording will be available on the supreme court site after arguments are heard. The site says on Fridays the recordings are updated. I will be interested to be able to listen in.

Comment

Working...
                            X