Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Vudu is loosing out on my Disc-To-Digital sales.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vudu is loosing out on my Disc-To-Digital sales.

Vudu keeps telling me discs I have are no available for disc to digital or that it has problems verifying the disc.

I then open Flixster and instantly it recognizes the disc and allows me to perform the D2D conversion. So far today I have not been successful in getting D2D on Vudu for the movies "Air Force One", Lawless, and Blood Out. These same movies all converted on Flixter without any issue.

I would prefer to use Vudu for D2D because of the 50% off deal that is going on now during the beta but if its not able to read the discs I am buying the digital version through Flixster.

Also once the 50% off deal ends I'll most likely be using Flixster for everything just because of how much better they are handling things. Simple things like instead of just display plain text that says error reading disc, Flixter will actually show an image of the movie to let you know it did recognize it but d2d is unavailable and they give the option to be emailed once the movie is available for d2d. Discs that are completely unrecognizable they then let the user manually type in the UPC code on the back of the case.

Re: Vudu is loosing out on my Disc-To-Digital sales.

I 100% agree with you. It seems Vudu is relying on the stores to pick up the issues in which the stores have no idea what D2D is. They have 2 HUGE threads of issues and it seems that they just gave up. I posted in the mapping issue thread last night because I have had discs I tried converting over a year ago and still no luck. You would think with the competition growing Vudu would work harder at making them #1 when they are just making us use other services.In my experience once a customer goes somewhere else it is very hard for them to get them back. I think the only thing keeping Vudu's D2D a float is the 50% off right now.

Comment

Originally posted by nierc001 View Post
      I 100% agree with you. It seems Vudu is relying on the stores to pick up the issues in which the stores have no idea what D2D is. They have 2 HUGE threads of issues and it seems that they just gave up. I posted in the mapping issue thread last night because I have had discs I tried converting over a year ago and still no luck. You would think with the competition growing Vudu would work harder at making them #1 when they are just making us use other services.In my experience once a customer goes somewhere else it is very hard for them to get them back. I think the only thing keeping Vudu's D2D a float is the 50% off right now.
      I did right ~250 titles.

I had zero problems. Zero.

No titles were not recognized and there were no disparity between my disc title and the title added to my library.

However, > 95% of my D2D transactions were done in-store @ the photo counter.

Personally, I find it a wonderful incentive offer which I greatly apperciate. For a nominal administrative fee, I can have EST versions of my physical collection made available in 1080p playback. That to me is an offer with an easy to understand "good value" associated with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Walter-S_North_Carolina View Post
        I did right ~250 titles.

No titles were not recognized and there were no disparity between my disc title and the title added to my library.

Personally, I find it a wonderful incentive offer which I greatly apperciate. For a nominal administrative fee, I can have EST versions of my physical collection made available in 1080p playback. That to me is an offer with an easy to understand "good value" associated with it.
        You realize you are the exception rather than the rule, right? Most Walmarts don't know how and/or don't care about the Vudu program. I have 20 stores in a 20 mile radius of my house, and while I haven't tried all of them, of the ones I have tried, only one of the stores has a single employee that knows how to run the program. I've had multiple stores tell me that the program is discontinued.

But even beyond that, most of us don't want to be bothered going to the store at all. Most of the discs I've run into problems with have been easily recognized by competitor's D2D programs. I haven't converted every one of these disc yet, but it has been a significant number. Far more than I've converted in store. I appreciate that there is the option of in-store conversion, but the reality is far from the potential that the program offers.

Comment

Originally posted by MikesTooLz View Post
          Vudu keeps telling me discs I have are no available for disc to digital or that it has problems verifying the disc.
          Although I also get frustrated when a particular disc won't read (and I've done a ton of them, both at home and via Walmart), things are much better than they were a year ago. I remember CinemaNow being the first to launch home D2D and their app would offer HD versions that they didn't actually have available or worse yet, I'd wind up with entirely different movies in my UV locker.

Although I do find VUDU to be the most reliable overall when it comes to Ultraviolet and Disc-to-Digital, I'll use CinemaNow or Flixster as needed. Let's just be glad that there are three companies offering such a service to begin with! :-)

Comment

Originally posted by YankeeGator6 View Post
            You realize you are the exception rather than the rule, right? Most Walmarts don't know how and/or don't care about the Vudu program. I have 20 stores in a 20 mile radius of my house, and while I haven't tried all of them, of the ones I have tried, only one of the stores has a single employee that knows how to run the program. I've had multiple stores tell me that the program is discontinued.

But even beyond that, most of us don't want to be bothered going to the store at all. Most of the discs I've run into problems with have been easily recognized by competitor's D2D programs. I haven't converted every one of these disc yet, but it has been a significant number. Far more than I've converted in store. I appreciate that there is the option of in-store conversion, but the reality is far from the potential that the program offers.
            I think you my be the exception. I have three super centers close. I have done D2D transactions in them all.

You say you do not wish to be "bothered". To me if I was asked to pay for mailing my discs into a centralized clearing office where I lost possession of them for six to eight weeks, on occasion some were lost in the process, and the price was double what it is now, I would still happily do so.

To have 1080p EST copies of my physical media collection is a goal I am willing to invest vastly more effort into then clicking my mouse while I sip MountainDew with cheese puff powder on my fingers and shirt.

Probably, the reason I have no prob with my local Wal Mart photo counter staff is because the pump is primed from them processing so many of my orders. I do know there are others in my community who do so as well. I have seen the binder where the orders are kept and talked to the staff. The numbers of D2D customers are few, but enough of us are around to keep the staff knowledge fresh.

If you did the same, you too would have a reliable source in which to perform D2D transactions.

But perhaps for you, no more effort then the cheese puff coated mouse click is warranted to have an EST copy of your physical media. If that be the case, I fear you will be vocally discontent no matter what. For me, it is well worth the effort of whatever is needed to complete the transactions.

Comment

I think you my be the exception. I have three super centers close. I have done D2D transactions in them all.

You say you do not wish to be "bothered". To me if I was asked to pay for mailing my discs into a centralized clearing office where I lost possession of them for six to eight weeks, on occasion some were lost in the process, and the price was double what it is now, I would still happily do so.

To have 1080p EST copies of my physical media collection is a goal I am willing to invest vastly more effort into then clicking my mouse while I sip MountainDew with cheese puff powder on my fingers and shirt.

Probably, the reason I have no prob with my local Wal Mart photo counter staff is because the pump is primed from them processing so many of my orders. I do know there are others in my community who do so as well. I have seen the binder where the orders are kept and talked to the staff. The numbers of D2D customers are few, but enough of us are around to keep the staff knowledge fresh.

If you did the same, you too would have a reliable source in which to perform D2D transactions.

But perhaps for you, no more effort then the cheese puff coated mouse click is warranted to have an EST copy of your physical media. If that be the case, I fear you will be vocally discontent no matter what. For me, it is well worth the effort of whatever is needed to complete the transactions.
              He is not the exception. There have been many complaints about in-store disc to digital posted in these forums. Blaming it on the customer is ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by Grey Ghost View Post
                He is not the exception. There have been many complaints about in-store disc to digital posted in these forums. Blaming it on the customer is ridiculous.
                blaming a beta product for having a bug is ridiculous.

Anyone working in CS will attest. Only people with problems complain. The people who do not have problems are not accounted for.

I do not deny there have been complaints about staff knowledge for completing the in-store process. I challenge that the problem is universal as it has not been my experience. In fact, I have a 100% success rate with my in-store D2D transactions.

...respectfully.

Comment

Originally posted by Grey Ghost View Post
                  I've had trouble at 3 Walmart's in SoCal trying to do D2D with both training and glitches as the issue. It's the training mostly but I find Walmart employees overall to not be very knowledgeable on their own policies and what not. I tried to consolidate Walmart gift cards (to one) the other day and the Assistant Manager told me I can't do that because it's money laundering. Really!?!?!? I told the Manager it's on your website and is part of the terms and conditions. I had to go to a different Walmart.

Luckily for D2D I have a Walmart where the employees know what's up . However, the system is sometimes pretty glitchy.

Comment

blaming a beta product for having a bug is ridiculous.
                    I do not believe the Disc-to-Digital program at Walmart is officially a "beta product." The in-home D2D program is, but NOT the Walmart D2D program. This part of your argument fails.

It's a simple fact that Walmart employees should be trained by managers (not customers) to provide this service. Based on all the forums on this topic, it is safe to assume that the majority of Walmart stores across the country are NOT adequately (if at all) training employees to provide the service. This likely won't change until the customer demand for it increases to the point in which they simply can't ignore it anymore.

Comment

I have three Walmarts in my area and they don't know how to do it either. I tried it twice at my local store...the first time took a hour for three employees to figure out. Second time they said nobody is working that is authorized to do the D2D! So I just do D2D at home...If it don't work...oh well...I just don't worry about it.

Comment

I did right ~250 titles.

I have been trying to get my local walmart to do the Disc to Digital at the photo center for the last 2 months. When I first asked them about it they were like, whats that? I pointed at the 6 foot cardboard display that they were standing next to and they were then like, oh yeah i've never had anyone want to do that before let me check something. They claimed after reading the manual they had in back that photo center would be closing in 2 hours and they wouldnt have time to process all 10 of my DVD's by then and to come back. I returned a few days later and they still had not figured it out, they told me that they need a password and dont know how to obtain the password. I've talked to all of the managers at the store and made a few calls to corporate about it yet here we are 2 months later and they still can figure out how to obtain the password needed for the Vudu service.

P.S. I have 3 walmarts within a 1 hour drive of my house, and had the same results at all three.

Comment

They should just start selling all the HDX movies at $5 each and I would buy them all up.

as it is now i'm buying them for $2.50 and don't own the DVD's. I would happily pay the $5 and drop a few hundred bucks buying movies and then probably buy a bunch more shortly after. New release movies would all be purchased when they come out.
                          Last edited by DanielH; 02-18-2014, 05:05 PM. Reason: Removing questionable message.

Comment

Originally posted by MikesTooLz View Post
                            I have been trying to get my local walmart to do the Disc to Digital at the photo center for the last 2 months. When I first asked them about it they were like, whats that? I pointed at the 6 foot cardboard display that they were standing next to and they were then like, oh yeah i've never had anyone want to do that before let me check something. They claimed after reading the manual they had in back that photo center would be closing in 2 hours and they wouldnt have time to process all 10 of my DVD's by then and to come back. I returned a few days later and they still had not figured it out, they told me that they need a password and dont know how to obtain the password. I've talked to all of the managers at the store and made a few calls to corporate about it yet here we are 2 months later and they still can figure out how to obtain the password needed for the Vudu service.

P.S. I have 3 walmarts within a 1 hour drive of my house, and had the same results at all three.
                            You want to ship them to me and have me do it at my Wal Mart for you?

Comment

Originally posted by quackman View Post
                              I do not believe the Disc-to-Digital program at Walmart is officially a "beta product." The in-home D2D program is, but NOT the Walmart D2D program. This part of your argument fails.

It's a simple fact that Walmart employees should be trained by managers (not customers) to provide this service. Based on all the forums on this topic, it is safe to assume that the majority of Walmart stores across the country are NOT adequately (if at all) training employees to provide the service. This likely won't change until the customer demand for it increases to the point in which they simply can't ignore it anymore.
                              In store is not in beta. I was not suggesting otherwise. You were suggesting it was ridiculous for customers to be to blame and I was suggesting criticism of the in-home D2D program is likewise ridiculous since it is a beta product.

The fact remains. One can sit at home and complain about the buggy in-home product or run the gauntlet at their local photo counter. I prefer the latter. In my neck of the woods, the staff has had their feet held to the fire where they long ago cried 'Uncle" for me. They roll over like kittens when they see me coming. My motivation to have EST copies of my physical media has long since ironed out any in-store issues I may have encountered at first.

My personal suggestion is to do likewise. I find in-store more enjoyable anyway. It is a big event for me to convert a batch and a trip to the store just makes it that much more enjoyable vs. clicking a mouse button in isolation.

There is also the options of taking the D2D program business elsewhere to Flixster or CinemaNow. I doubt Vudu would care much since the nominal administrative fee they collect is almost assuredly a part of an incentive offer which has zero profit tied to it.

Comment

Working...
                              X