Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Plans for "Disney Movies Anywhere" to link to Vudu?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BlakkMajik3000
    replied
    Re: Plans for "Disney Movies Anywhere" to link to Vudu?

My initial thoughts on the DMA was outrage (as evidenced by my subsequently locked post in General). UV is in place, has support of all major (and most mini-major) studios, and is available on just about every device out there. The fact that it's iTunes only for now just further fueled the fire.

After a few days, I've settled down. I still don't like it, at all, but Disney is all about control so I shouldn't be surprised. Apple and Disney have been "buddy-buddy" for quite a while now, so it also shouldn't be a shock they went with iTunes initially.

I mainly just want cross-platform downloads that I can stream over my local network (via Plex) to my devices. Right now, neither provides this. CFF still isn't released for UV, and the DMA only works with iDevices.

I think the best we can probably hope for, at this point, is that either DECE and Disney eventually allow UV and Keychest to talk to each other, or Vudu is announced as a partner.

Although I would definitely prefer a single standard (UV), I really couldn't care less which system has my licenses, as long as: 1.) the service provider I choose can aggregate all of them in one place and 2.) I can download the files to a hard drive/NAS and stream them across my LAN.

Leave a comment:

• MoWeb
    replied

Who know's where all of this will lead but all I can say is I'm glad I held out buying Star Wars on blu ray. I was tempted so many times. When Disney releases yet another round of blu rays for it I will hopefully get it in my DMA account . Fingers crossed they release them without the changes that Lucas added.

Leave a comment:

• Walter-S_North_Carolina
    replied

Originally posted by Jeff*H View Post
    My take on Disney Movies Anywhere:

Disney has been, and always will be, hyper protective of their content. It's become clear with the launch of their new service, and how it works, exactly what things they didn't like about Ultraviolet; namely, D2D (and the notion that one disc could be used to get multiple copies for people when passed around), and multiple account users being able to view one digital copy. Disney clearly is only interested in one household having access to one digital copy, and no more. They want every household to pay for the privilege of viewing a Disney film. With their current model, they don't have to worry about that--they have more control over who's viewing their product.
    I have taken my entire Disney movie library of physical media, ripped them, loaded them into iTunes/Plex, and watch them in my home that way. I do know for a fact that ripping physical media is common. I work for an ISP. The amount of traffic occurring on Torrent ports makes that very clear.

As Mr. EP mentioned, the CFF is an important part of the UV system. Disney may wish to think that everyone buys their movies and watches them in their home, but they are not so naive. They know good and well how often their media gets ripped and passed around. UV makes digital copies easy and relatively low cost as a means to combat illegal ripping/distribution, a problem which stands to seriously threaten the MPAA long term financial viability since it undermines in-home distribution revenues.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff*H
    replied

Originally posted by echopulse View Post
    UltraViolet still has several advantages that iTunes, Amazon Instant, or vudu do not have by themselves. One is the Common File Format, for people who want to host files on their own network, move them between devices, stream them over DLNA, and the like. Not everyone wants to use a vudu or itunes app. I personally cannot wait to be able to download files to my hard drive and put them on whatever external drive I want.

Family sharing is a great feature that people will demand once UltraViolet is a mainstream technology.

Disc to Digital is en extremely valuable service that people will demand once they start doing it for all their other DVD's.
    I agree. While the Disney Movies Anywhere app is intriguing to me, and not inherently a bad thing, in the end I will always be a UV acolyte, precisely for the reasons you noted (CFF, D2D, multiple users) plus I love VUDU's 1080p content, their 3D selections, their blu-ray app I use to stream on my TV, and their layout/formatting.

Leave a comment:

• echopulse
    replied

UltraViolet still has several advantages that iTunes, Amazon Instant, or vudu do not have by themselves. One is the Common File Format, for people who want to host files on their own network, move them between devices, stream them over DLNA, and the like. Not everyone wants to use a vudu or itunes app. I personally cannot wait to be able to download files to my hard drive and put them on whatever external drive I want.

Family sharing is a great feature that people will demand once UltraViolet is a mainstream technology.

Disc to Digital is en extremely valuable service that people will demand once they start doing it for all their other DVD's.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff*H
    replied

My take on Disney Movies Anywhere:

Disney has been, and always will be, hyper protective of their content. It's become clear with the launch of their new service, and how it works, exactly what things they didn't like about Ultraviolet; namely, D2D (and the notion that one disc could be used to get multiple copies for people when passed around), and multiple account users being able to view one digital copy. Disney clearly is only interested in one household having access to one digital copy, and no more. They want every household to pay for the privilege of viewing a Disney film. With their current model, they don't have to worry about that--they have more control over who's viewing their product.

Secondly, I would be willing to bet that iTunes wrote Disney a big check to be their exclusive launch partner for a specific period of time (6 months? 1 year?) This effectively helps iTunes get back into the digital movie game that UV was gaining market share on, and gets iTunes users some nice upgrades on their Disney content, including a free movie, once they link their accounts. Had iTunes passed, it's likely Disney would have approached Amazon to do something similar. I do think that whenever iTunes' exclusivity window is up, you will see Disney partner with Amazon, and even eventually VUDU. Keep in mind that you cannot purchase movies on Disney Movies Anywhere, just as you cannot purchase movies on uvvu.com (the Ultraviolet site)--you have to use iTunes. It will be in Disney's best interest to eventually add other partners to improve their revenue picture, so there's no doubt in my mind that Disney will eventually add Amazon, VUDU, TargetTicket and others to their network down the road. Disney movies in those accounts will most likely migrate into the Disney account, just as they currently do with iTunes.

So to me it seems clear that Disney really has no need to join UV, but can leverage their partnerships with UV providers such as VUDU, on their own terms. VUDU will gain new users, Disney gains new revenue streams, and my kids will eventually be able to have their various Disney movies that I currently have spread across iTunes, VUDU and Amazon, all in one single app. At that point, why would Disney need UV? I think they can both co-exist peacefully in the emerging digital entertainment marketplace.

Anyway, that's my 2-cents on this. Who knows, though, maybe I'm dead wrong.

Leave a comment:

• Speedaddict81
    replied

I must say, this is a step in a direction, maybe not the one we'd hoped for, but still a step.

Now, I'd like to see a way to add digital copies to the already purchased DVD or Bluray that didn't have one included. Apparently, of my 50+ movies redeemed on DMR, only 8 had eligible digital copies...notably missing is my Iron Man 3, which I preordered from WM.

Of course, I also want to see Vudu as a provider and, even better, addition of Vudu purchased Disney titles to the DMA. That way I can finally commit to digital purchases through Vudu knowing they will be added to my DMR/DMA account for 'safekeeping'.

Also, I've yet to see a Touchstone release with DMR or DigitalCopyPlus. I really want digital copies of movies like Armaggeddon, Hidalgo, and Enemy of the State. Again, ideally there would be a way to prove ownership and pay an 'upgrade to digital' charge ($5-7).

If this is what has to happen to get all my conent in one place (Vudu), so be it, at least it will finally be consolidated.

Leave a comment:

• MattO
    replied

Originally posted by echopulse View Post
    Also, if Amazon ever becomes a UV retailer it's all but over.
    Now that I'd love to see since I'm a Kindle Fire HD user and sideloaded Vudu app has its issues. That one feels pretty likely.

Leave a comment:

replied

I think x-box marketplace or the Playstation store would nail the proverbial coffin shut too. Both Sony and Microsoft are DECE members.

Sony announced a new on-demand OTT iVoD service which will include live TV. If this is a UV compatible service it would be hard for DMA to suggest their digital products will not run on it, on TargetTicket, on Nook, etc when they could just join DECE and call it a day.

...but you are right. Amazon becoming an active DECE member would be hard to ignore.

Leave a comment:

• echopulse
    replied

It's been more than a year since the report that iTunes owned 60% of the EST market. I'd like to see updated numbers. With all the new competition like TargetTicket, and Comcast on Demand taking 15%, and others, it surely can't be that high anymore. I'm sure vudu and Amazon Instant have also grown since then. If you count sales and redemption, it must be much lower, but I'd like to know how much. There are millions of people out there with Android Devices, and devices other than Apple TV's. That is where UV is useful. When the CFF is deployed, I think that will change the market in a significant way for people who won's use iTunes. Millions of people use downloads that are not iTunes, and they will demand UV CFF once they see how great it is. Also, if Amazon ever becomes a UV retailer it's all but over. UV will be the true standard. Disney will fall soon after that.

Leave a comment:

• MattO
    replied

Originally posted by Walter-S_North_Carolina View Post
    You could argue that Microsoft too had no need to add a Bluray player to their xbox one console. Yet, there it is.
    Back to this for one more thing. I think you might see this as just an example of an entertainment technology company getting in line with the industry against their will for the sake of bowing to a standard. I see it as an example of consumer demand. People want their content on their preferred devices, and Microsoft was fighting that. There was plenty of consumer demand for change because the lack of a Blu-Ray drive had some glaring shortcoming for consumers - HD format, storage space and extras. You just couldn't use the movies you bought at major retailers with their product, and that was untenable.

In DMA's case, today's situation that you can only do this DMA stuff with itunes is also untenable, but it's short term. Once they have several vendor integrations, that will be good enough for most people. That includes me, who has something like 500 UV movies. Once I have my content on my devices inside of my apps, I don't particularly care that much that they'll validating my rights to that content by hitting a different server. I'd love the equivalent of UV's D2D program, but the integration with DMR is a pretty decent alternative and I just expect that to get better.

Leave a comment:

• MattO
    replied

Here's the message I sent in to DMA this morning:

Hi DMA,

I was excited to learn about the launch of your service this week and Disney's interest in making digital content more accessible. Our family doesn't use iTunes or own any Apple product other than one ancient Nano, so we're anxious to see you extend your offerings to other partners like Vudu. We use Vudu through our Blu-Ray player, our tablets and our computers. Since Disney uses Vudu as a digital copy redemption partner, I'm sure that's under discussion but I wanted to put in at least one more vote. We'd love to see it happen!

Regards,
    Matt O*****, Disney fan and movie collector

I have to believe that by day 3 of the launch they're already numb to "I can't believe you idiots are doing itunes only!!!!!!".

I still wonder if Vudu needs some encouragement. I wouldn't think too much, as they know the demand Vudu users have for Disney content, but I bet the terms aren't as favorable with Disney as other studios.

Leave a comment:

replied

Originally posted by MoWeb View Post
    I'm not nearly nor do I pretend to be as knowledgeable on DECE than you. However, doesn't it make you wonder why Disney is still trying to find yet another method of digital streaming/licensing than UV. With the creation of DMA and they opened the door to other "Digital Distributors" this effectively makes DMA the UV of Disney. They don't need UV in this case especially if they add Vudu (and others) as a "Digital Distributor" the DMA website will never close shop. Disney is not only the content creator they are also a streaming provider now. Why would they spend money on this venture if this is not their future? The DMA site steers you to other Disney sites/products. Mo Money, Mo Money, Mo Money...

Last I checked Disney is a well run company just like Apple.
    as agents of a company, they report to their shareholders. There is a revenue stream from re-release of archived titles they are able to exploit more so then other studios. The thought is they fear this revenue stream will be erased if they join DECE, since everyone will have permanent static copies on a streaming provider's system and therefore have no motivation to purchase the 30th anniversary remix of BLANK......

There is no acknowledgement to confirm this, but I believe this is generally thought to be the reason.

The problem they will run into is the prospect of brand erosion as the rest of the industry continues to funnel via the UV pipe. At some point, Disney will find the loss revenue from re-releases will be less then the loss of their brand being eroded. IMHO, that point will occur this year.

Leave a comment:

• MoWeb
    replied

Originally posted by terpfan1980 View Post
    Isn't Warners the owner of the F*ster site? Don't they provide access to content from other studios?
    It's my understanding the steaming agreements were in place before the WB bought them. You also don't see the WB brand promoted there unlike if you were to go to Sony for instance. It's totally transparent ownership. Just one idiots opinion.

Leave a comment:

• terpfan1980
    replied

Originally posted by MoWeb View Post
    What a great thought and hope. I'm pretty sure this would never happen because what studio in their right mind would let Disney stream their library. Disney certainly wouldn't pay for rights to do it. Paramount, Sony, Universal, stream their content but not any other.
    Isn't Warners the owner of the F*ster site? Don't they provide access to content from other studios?

That said, you are right that most of the other studios don't provide (that I can recall) access to content from other studios. It would be a little silly to do that since you'd be helping your competitors sell their content. Of course, if they could make a buck doing so, they might not care at all. After all, you can find gift cards for iTunes in Target and they both sell movies and music. Heck, for that matter you can still get Kindle gift cards at Best Buy and those can be used to purchase anything on Amazon (they don't restrict the use of the Kindle gift cards to just Kindle content, the value can be used to purchase anything).

In the end the various sellers of the content all get paid a small amount for selling the content for the producers of said content. As long as that money can be had, I could see where whichever outlets the various studios have would wind up serving as the gateway to the content. Throw on top of everything the ability to promote your own content before starting up the content a customer is trying to access, or the ability to sell banner ads and such at your own front end site and I guess anything could be possible.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X