Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Plans for "Disney Movies Anywhere" to link to Vudu?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Plans for "Disney Movies Anywhere" to link to Vudu?

Originally posted by YankeeGator6 View Post
    I'm kind of confused how that site works.
    what a mess. What genius dreamed up this as a solution to "Movies Anywhere" is beyond me.

I guess the the prospect of joining DECE was so frightening for them, they turned their imagineers loose who came back with this briar patch solution.

The idea of sinking a commitment into Apple Corp. for my movie play back, having to buy their set-top box for each TV to play back in my home, and agreeing to buy their mobile products for the rest of my natural life or loose access to my movie library is something they would like to think I am willing to do.

Sadly for them, I am not willing to make such a ridiculous commitment.

Let us also remember that DECE membership does not negate playback on iOS mobile devices. It is a turn key solution to digital copy playback, both mobile and in-home. Trying to go it alone just serves to fragment a market attempting to normalize.

Comment

Originally posted by Walter-S_North_Carolina View Post
      what a mess. What genius dreamed up this as a solution to "Movies Anywhere" is beyond me.

I guess the the prospect of joining DECE was so frightening for them, they turned their imagineers loose who came back with this briar patch solution.

The idea of sinking a commitment into Apple Corp. for my movie play back, having to buy their set-top box for each TV to play back in my home, and agreeing to buy their mobile products for the rest of my natural life or loose access to my movie library is something they would like to think I am willing to do.

Sadly for them, I am not willing to make such a ridiculous commitment.

Let us also remember that DECE membership does not negate playback on iOS mobile devices. It is a turn key solution to digital copy playback, both mobile and in-home. Trying to go it alone just serves to fragment a market attempting to normalize.

I absolutely agree. I don't mind Apple stuff as much as some people, but it drives me crazy how proprietary their crap is. Hopefully this crazy Disney idea at least is opened up to UV providers so that half of the mad pairing is taken out of the equation.

Comment

Originally posted by YankeeGator6 View Post
        I absolutely agree. I don't mind Apple stuff as much as some people, but it drives me crazy how proprietary their crap is. Hopefully this crazy Disney idea at least is opened up to UV providers so that half of the mad pairing is taken out of the equation.
        I doubt that Disney will change their approach unless there's a financial motive for doing so. I vote with my dollars.

I haven't bought any of the blu-ray sets even though they come with DC+ because they aren't UV. I don't go see Disney movies, since I won't be able to add the ones that I like to my UV collection.

They are making a business decision, and they are probably right. Most people will cave and still buy their products the way that they dictate.

Comment

I don't want it to link to VUDU and I refuse to use it and hope others do the same. I want it to fail, and fail miserably so they will hurry up and join Ultraviolet already. It's really obnoxious they are offering a nascent competing service 2.5 years later.

Comment

If anyone knew about Disney's first attempt to making a cloud service it was "Disney Movies Online" it closed within a year. They been talking about Keychest for years and now we are getting a glimpse at it in the form of Disney Movies Anywhere. It's just too soon for me to review it. It is crazy that right now it links to iTunes purchases, we already have iCloud so what is the point right? The only good thing right now is getting points for rewards by purchasing through the app. The Cat from Outter Space HD is $17.99 on iTunes while $14.99 on Vudu. Cheaper and can stream on other devices in HD for the TV. I love Vudu, they got me started on Disc to Digital and I would decently love them more if they were to link to Disney's cloud. I can barely get Vudu's ios app to work all so I think they need completely rework it, however if I can stream or download my Disney movies purchased vudu on Anywhere on the go, that would be great too, and I can still watch them on my TV through Vudu.

Comment

Originally posted by echopulse View Post
              Those numbers are direct sales from a given quarter. What I'm talking about is total units in use. That's what matters in terms of how many people are going to user DisneyMoviesOnline. vs who can't use it on their android tablet. Phone use for movies is minimal.
              There may be a larger volume (read install base) of Android devices but you also need to look as the sames revenue in relation to those devices. iTunes Movie (and music and apps) sales are DRASTICALLY higher Vs. Google / Android store in terms of total revenue and obviously per device, given smaller install base.

Apple people spend WAY more on software than do Droid people. But then the Hardware is WAY more expensive as well so they likely have more disposable income.

Comment

Mitch Singer reacts to DisneyMoviesAnywhere. He says he doesn't see it as competitive.

http://kidscreen.com/2014/02/26/ultr...ywhere-launch/

Comment

Originally posted by echopulse View Post
                  Mitch Singer reacts to DisneyMoviesAnywhere. He says he doesn't see it as competitive.

http://kidscreen.com/2014/02/26/ultr...ywhere-launch/
                  thx for the link.

It seems clear that the decision makers at Disney Studios are exploring to see if they can make their way without joining DECE. They have business reason to attempt to, but I do think time will run out and they will need to become official DECE members. Them being the sole domestic studio who has not done so is going to start to erode their brand and become increasingly difficult to explain to their consumers.

I personally believe it will occur this year. Q4 to be exact.

Comment

thx for the link.

It seems clear that the decision makers at Disney Studios are exploring to see if they can make their way without joining DECE. They have business reason to attempt to, but I do think time will run out and they will need to become official DECE members. Them being the sole domestic studio who has not done so is going to start to erode their brand and become increasingly difficult to explain to their consumers.

I personally believe it will occur this year. Q4 to be exact.
                    I really love your optimism here Walter but Disney will never join DECE. This move by Disney has really renewed interest in that other service from UV loyalists (I've been watching). Everyone is scrambling to get DC's of Disney movies to add to DMA. Hopefully Disney follows through with the terms and conditions about adding other "Digital Distributors" to DMA. The thing I hate is they totally leave the door open to remove "Digital Distributors". Once again they wield all of the power here because of their much desired library of content.

Comment

"Disney Movies Anywhere" As long as its on an apple device or itunes.......this isn't 5 years ago...step backwards for disney!

Comment

It's a V1 public release of a new service with some tricky legal and technical integration bits. I get it. I'm happy they did it and I'm confident that they understand the need to roll it out into additional platforms, them being a business and all.

So, like Singer, I see this as a positive step that indicates corporate interest in the digital world. I'm going to write their customer service and say "this looks really cool - I'd love to see this for Vudu since that's what we use". It would be good for them to hear it in that way, I'd think. I'd think that Vudu would have plenty of motivation to make this happen from their end, so I'm not sure communicating to them would help much.

And, no, I think that once they've added some more partners the pressure to make their titles UV is basically going to evaporate. People will have their content on their devices of choice and in the apps they're used to using. Nobody really cares that much about the rest.

Comment

I'd be really sad if public demand for UV evaporates. UV has a lot of advantages that DisneyMoviesAnywhere, even with a vudu link wouldn't have. UV has member sharing, Common File Format downloads, D2D upgrades, and other features that iTunes doesn't have.

Comment

Originally posted by MattO View Post
                            And, no, I think that once they've added some more partners the pressure to make their titles UV is basically going to evaporate. People will have their content on their devices of choice and in the apps they're used to using. Nobody really cares that much about the rest.
                            1. Vendor agnostic digital rights locker
                            2. Library sharing
                            3. Unified digital distribution methodology
                            4. Unified brand awareness

Vudu holds none of these. Nor iTunes. Nor Amazon Instant Video. Each is a vendor specific service with individual brand awareness. None has library sharing and each has their own digital distribution methodology.

Ultraviolet / DECE was founded as a non-for-profit consortium for a very specific set of market needs.

In five years, we will not even be able to remember this fumble by Disney Studios. Digital distribution will be via DECE standards. I do not think there is any question at this point. There is only one studio holdout and they are scrambling to save face.

As an example, about twenty years ago there was a new productivity technology for businesses called client/server. It relied on a LAN, but there were competing LAN network protocol standards. The three were token ring, TCP/IP via Ethernet, and IPX/SPX via Ethernet.

Token ring held out for awhile. IPX/SPX fell first. Today, we only know of TCP/IP. The need for a standard ended any arguments.

So too will occur with MPAA digital distribution. With well over eighty percent of the studios by market share DECE members and only one hold out, the decision has been made and it is simply a matter of time for it to be 100%.

Very much like IBM thinking their market dominance would reverse the trend and their backed token ring would become the standard. The last token ring network card was made well over a decade ago.

Comment

Originally posted by MoWeb View Post
                              I really love your optimism here Walter but Disney will never join DECE..
                              ...and Microsoft will NEVER put a Bluray player into an xbox.

Oh wait...

Comment

1. Vendor agnostic digital rights locker
                                2. Library sharing
                                3. Unified digital distribution methodology
                                4. Unified brand awareness
                                Disney is effectively building a parallel "vendor agnostic digital rights locker", at least as far as the consumer is concerned. Nothing prevents them from doing library sharing down the road, and I bet that's a fringe use case. As far as I can tell, consumers don't find anything about UV "unified" so far - large gaps in content availability, widely differing redemption methods, flaky D2D programs, etc. And the very last thing Disney needs to worry about is brand awareness.

I'm telling you, once they roll this out to several vendors and their quasi D2D services are matured, the public won't care at all that it's not UV. Yes, there are good reasons to consolidate to a single standard, but consumer pressure isn't really going to be one of them. With this move (or at least as they describe their plans), Disney can hold out for a good, long time.

Comment

Working...
                                X