Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

chromecast OMG!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

chromecast OMG!!!

Is this for real:
    http://blog.vudu.com/?p=10711

Re: chromecast OMG!!!

Yes, it's for real.

If you currently have no other solution for streaming Vudu to your TV then I guess it's a good solution. Personally, I didn't like the Chromecast device and I don't like the idea of having the extra overhead and problems of having a computer between me and my television viewing experience. But those who don't have a Roku device or some BETTER solution will welcome Vudu on Chromecast.

Comment

Originally posted by LuzRinggold View Post
      Yes, it's for real.

If you currently have no other solution for streaming Vudu to your TV then I guess it's a good solution. Personally, I didn't like the Chromecast device and I don't like the idea of having the extra overhead and problems of having a computer between me and my television viewing experience. But those who don't have a Roku device or some BETTER solution will welcome Vudu on Chromecast.
      It's a shame you didn't like it, but "BETTER solution" is very subjective.

I own both a Chromecast and a Roku 3. Both are great devices, but personally I prefer the Chromecast experience. The lack of Vudu support is the only major thing it was missing (for my usage), so I think this is absolutely great news!

Once the Vudu app support is available, then the Chromecast will cover almost all of my streaming needs and I will probably send my Roku off to a well-earned retirement.

Comment

I prefer the Roku, but having the Chromecast option is a great thing to get people into Vudu and UV. The price point is too good to resist for most people.

Comment

It's a nice portable solution, but Vudu's biggest advantage over its competitors is that they try to have better audio and video quality, and that's usually not possible with a wifi connection and an underpowered processor. I always appreciate having more choices, but I don't think I'll be using this one most of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by jjohns View Post
            It's a shame you didn't like it, but "BETTER solution" is very subjective.

I own both a Chromecast and a Roku 3. Both are great devices, but personally I prefer the Chromecast experience. The lack of Vudu support is the only major thing it was missing (for my usage), so I think this is absolutely great news!

Once the Vudu app support is available, then the Chromecast will cover almost all of my streaming needs and I will probably send my Roku off to a well-earned retirement.
            Chromecast didn't offer anything I ready have on Roku, and it doesn't support most of the websites I would have liked to have used it on (i.e. ESPN3, ABC, CBS, and a couple other websites). We also have several other streaming channels on Roku that are NOT available on Chromecast.

What I think would suck about using Chromecast in place of Roku is that if you want to pause or change what you are watching then you have to go into the room where the computer is and do all that instead of simply using a remote. Even if your computer is in the same room, it's just not as nice as having a remote control.

But I do like the idea that Vudu is trying to support as many devices as possible. I only with they would look at the many requests that we have made for additional features like more sorting capabilities, ability to create and arrange collections of movies, ability to manage the FAMILY rating ourselves, and better parental controls.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxH View Post
              It's a nice portable solution, but Vudu's biggest advantage over its competitors is that they try to have better audio and video quality, and that's usually not possible with a wifi connection and an underpowered processor. I always appreciate having more choices, but I don't think I'll be using this one most of the time.
              Agreed that a strong wifi signal is very important for doing high quality streaming. If I have one complaint about the Chromecast hardware, it's the fact that it only supports 2.4 GHz wifi. I'm rather hoping a second generation Chromecast with 5 GHz support will be announced later this year (perhaps at Google I/O in June).

Comment

With chromecast don't you have to fire up a tablet or computer, search for what you want then send it to chromecast? Sounds TONS easier to just grab the Roku remote.

Comment

Originally posted by huskerbear View Post
                  With chromecast don't you have to fire up a tablet or computer, search for what you want then send it to chromecast? Sounds TONS easier to just grab the Roku remote.
                  It doesn't work with a tablet, you need a computer to use it. Yes, Roku is easier and more convenient.

Comcast is however a little cheaper and another option for those or (for whatever reason) cannot use Roku.

Like someone said, options are better than no options. That way we can all pick what works for us and a solution isn't being crammed down our throat.

Comment

Chromecast didn't offer anything I ready have on Roku, and it doesn't support most of the websites I would have liked to have used it on (i.e. ESPN3, ABC, CBS, and a couple other websites). We also have several other streaming channels on Roku that are NOT available on Chromecast.

What I think would suck about using Chromecast in place of Roku is that if you want to pause or change what you are watching then you have to go into the room where the computer is and do all that instead of simply using a remote. Even if your computer is in the same room, it's just not as nice as having a remote control.

But I do like the idea that Vudu is trying to support as many devices as possible. I only with they would look at the many requests that we have made for additional features like more sorting capabilities, ability to create and arrange collections of movies, ability to manage the FAMILY rating ourselves, and better parental controls.
                    As I've said a couple times before, I'm pretty sure your issues with those websites would have been resolved by turning off hardware acceleration in your Chrome browser. I know for a fact that the CBS website videos work just fine when cast to Chromecast.

I agree that having to go to another room to use a computer to control the video (pause, rewind, etc) would get annoying. I'm sure this feature would be a lot better using a laptop in the same room. Honestly, I rarely even use the desktop Chrome browser extension. It's nice to have as an option, but I wouldn't want to rely on it. Most of my Chromecast usage comes from using the apps that support it on my smartphone.

Comment

Originally posted by huskerbear View Post
                      The Chrome browser extension requires the use of a desktop version of Chrome. It won't work on a tablet (or smartphone). However many services have native support in their Android and iOS apps.

I have my smartphone near me far more often than my Roku remote. Plus, you can control the streams volume from your phone or tablet with the Chromecast; that can't be said of the Roku remote (unless using the remote's headphone jack).

Comment

Like someone said, options are better than no options. That way we can all pick what works for us and a solution isn't being crammed down our throat.
                        Absolutely agree with this.

For some people, Roku is certainly the better option. For others, like myself, Chromecast is better.

Options are definitely a great thing.

My only real issue with your original comment was that it implied that Chromecast was inferior to all of those other options, like the Roku. To each their own. I wouldn't say either is superior; just different. It's up to each person to determine which device suits their needs best.

Comment

Originally posted by jjohns View Post
                          Absolutely agree with this.

For some people, Roku is certainly the better option. For others, like myself, Chromecast is better.

Options are definitely a great thing.

My only real issue with your original comment was that it implied that Chromecast was inferior to all of those other options, like the Roku. To each their own. I wouldn't say either is superior; just different. It's up to each person to determine which device suits their needs best.
                          Sometimes different = inferior...like in this case. For example, my digital flats screen TV is different from the first TV I ever owned, which didn't have a remote control and was black and white...it was an inferior TV in comparison. I think Chromcast is inferior...but to each his/her own...which brings us back to "options".

Comment

It doesn't work with a tablet, you need a computer to use it. Yes, Roku is easier and more convenient.

Comcast is however a little cheaper and another option for those or (for whatever reason) cannot use Roku.

The first part of your first statement is blatantly false.

The Chromecast works with any Android or iOS device. Using a computer is completely optional, and only necessary if you wish to cast tabs from the Chrome web browser to the Chromecast.

To call the Roku easier is strictly a matter of opinion.

The Chromecast suits many peoples' needs perfectly. The idea behind the Chromecast is to ask the question, how often do you lose the remote vs. how often you lose your phone? Since your phone/tablet is less likely to get lost, why not just use that as your remote?

In my living room, I have an Xbox 360, PS4, PS3, and Chromecast hooked up to my TV. The consoles pretty much only get turned on to play games, except in the case of the PS3, as I use that for Vudu. However, my Chromecast gets substantially more use.

In the bedroom, I have a Sony blu-ray player, Roku 2 (XD or XS, can't recall right now), and Chromecast. Guess which one gets used the most? The blu-ray player an the Roku might as well be back in the box. I love that I can be watching something on the TV in the media/living room, decide it's time for bed, and switch it to stream to the bedroom.

Some people do not like the Chromecast because it doesn't have "mirroring" (yet) like the iOS to Apple TV solution. I don't personally see the overall value in mirroring my device's screen to my TV. I like that I can initiate content from my phone/tablet, let the Chromecast stream it, and I can use my device for other things if I so choose. For example, the other day my daughter wanted to watch something on Netflix and her tablet needed to charge. Hit the Chromecast button on Netflix on her tablet and continued it on the TV. I then put her tablet on the charger and connected my NVidia Shield to the Chromecast. So she got to continue watching Super Why and I continued my rampage in GTA: San Andreas without nary a hitch. And that's just one of many instances where I thought "man, this Chromecast thing is great!".
                            /end rant

Some people complain about the lack of apps currently, but that will definitely change with the SDK now being open to all devs. I've been waiting for quite awhile for some Vudu functionality, so the news it's finally on it's way means my Chromecast will soon cover 100% of my streaming needs.

Comment

Originally posted by BlakkMajik3000 View Post
                              The first part of your first statement is blatantly false.

The Chromecast works with any Android or iOS device. Using a computer is completely optional, and only necessary if you wish to cast tabs from the Chrome web browser to the Chromecast.

To call the Roku easier is strictly a matter of opinion.

The Chromecast suits many peoples' needs perfectly. The idea behind the Chromecast is to ask the question, how often do you lose the remote vs. how often you lose your phone? Since your phone/tablet is less likely to get lost, why not just use that as your remote?

In my living room, I have an Xbox 360, PS4, PS3, and Chromecast hooked up to my TV. The consoles pretty much only get turned on to play games, except in the case of the PS3, as I use that for Vudu. However, my Chromecast gets substantially more use.

In the bedroom, I have a Sony blu-ray player, Roku 2 (XD or XS, can't recall right now), and Chromecast. Guess which one gets used the most? The blu-ray player an the Roku might as well be back in the box. I love that I can be watching something on the TV in the media/living room, decide it's time for bed, and switch it to stream to the bedroom.

Some people do not like the Chromecast because it doesn't have "mirroring" (yet) like the iOS to Apple TV solution. I don't personally see the overall value in mirroring my device's screen to my TV. I like that I can initiate content from my phone/tablet, let the Chromecast stream it, and I can use my device for other things if I so choose. For example, the other day my daughter wanted to watch something on Netflix and her tablet needed to charge. Hit the Chromecast button on Netflix on her tablet and continued it on the TV. I then put her tablet on the charger and connected my NVidia Shield to the Chromecast. So she got to continue watching Super Why and I continued my rampage in GTA: San Andreas without nary a hitch. And that's just one of many instances where I thought "man, this Chromecast thing is great!".
                              /end rant

Some people complain about the lack of apps currently, but that will definitely change with the SDK now being open to all devs. I've been waiting for quite awhile for some Vudu functionality, so the news it's finally on it's way means my Chromecast will soon cover 100% of my streaming needs.
                              If I loose my remote then I can use my Roku app on my phone as a remote. Problem solved!

Yes, my opinion is that Chromcast is not as good of a solution as Roku. Thanks for understanding my position.

Comment

Working...
                              X