Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Veronica Mars 'snafu' gives UV a black eye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Veronica Mars 'snafu' gives UV a black eye

Warner Bros. to refund angry 'Veronica Mars' contributors

Last line of that article:
    Movie studios conceived UltraViolet as the future of movie ownership, but adoption remains slow. This snafu won't help.

Ooops.

I have to say that I was pleased that when I redeemed my Kickstarter reward (which was done via that 'other' UV partner) I was happy that it showed up on Vudu so I didn't have to use another UV partner's site to access that content.

I do find it pretty interesting that many of those that are expressing their anger are most upset at their lack of choice in providers. Especially the folks that would have preferred to be able to get their content via that fruity company. Apparently rumors of the death of some were greatly exaggerated.

Re: Veronica Mars 'snafu' gives UV a black eye

Originally posted by terpfan1980 View Post

Ooops.

I have to say that I was pleased that when I redeemed my Kickstarter reward (which was done via that 'other' UV partner) I was happy that it showed up on Vudu so I didn't have to use another UV partner's site to access that content.

I do find it pretty interesting that many of those that are expressing their anger are most upset at their lack of choice in providers. Especially the folks that would have preferred to be able to get their content via that fruity company. Apparently rumors of the death of some were greatly exaggerated.
    Yes. Itunes ain't going anywhere anytime soon (And I personally think it shouldn't. Competition is good). I think that title is misleading though. I think it gives Flixster a rightfully earned black eye. Maybe they will take some tips from vudu now and improve their website. How is it we have all these different places to redeem now and the original UV supported website is still the worst of them all. I had major issues getting my Game Of Thrones Season 3 to redeem the UV portion through them (Since it's not UV on the Vudu redeemed side). Finally the second CS I talked to just verified the code was good and manually added it for me. They really shouldn't have these problems 2 years after they started UV. Vudu started not too long after they did and UV redemption is nearly flawless (with a few exceptions here and there).

Comment

But I also know that many of you use iTunes, Amazon...
      BAFOONS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by terpfan1980 View Post

Ooops.

Yeah, as one of the Kickstarter backers, I found a lot of the angry comments rather sad.

A lot of people really seemed to just not understand UV and how it works, unfortunately, and were upset because of the experience trying to stream or download from Flixster directly, not realizing that they could use alternatives like Vudu once it was redeemed.

And then, as you say, there were a lot of those who simply wanted to be able to redeem their digital download reward from one of the non-UV services.

It's a shame that this may reflect negatively on UV. Personally, I was ecstatic that the digital copy was UV. I thoroughly enjoyed watching it on Vudu last night.

Comment

I was happy that the copy that I got was on UV, even if I had to redeem it elsewhere. I would have preferred Vudu there, but I have to admit that I wouldn't have wanted it to be restricted to Vudu only (meaning that I would still have wanted it to be UV so I could watch via other front-ends if necessary.... especially given my own complaints about being able to search for content via the Vudu app on my iPad {as an example})

The competition is good for sure. Sadly though there are those that think that anything UV related is bad, and that is still something that all of the UV partners needs to do a much better job with. They've all gotta educate their customers and potential customers on the benefits of UV. I know that Vudu does that once you get to their site, but what is driving customer to the site? Some links back at Walmart.com. Uh, OK. What if I'm one of those fat and lazy 'mericans that walk into Walmart brick and mortar stores? What drives me to Vudu.com then?? Some stickers on a few titles in the store in the bargain bins?

I see some brochures for Vudu in the stores but like others, I can also find way too often that if I walk into the stores and ask about Disc-to-Digital services I'll get blank stares from employees that haven't been trained and have no clue they even do that business.

Comment

Engadget posted an article about it too. When I read the comments from the iTunes people it really makes me mad.

It's pretty much Apple DC vs UV. Apple fans and users come out in heards when they don't get what they want. Most of them don't want to use UV and if they don't get an iTunes version, they complain in full force. Same thing happened when Disney started doing some DC+ titles without iTunes.

Comment

They feel very entitled to getting what they have gotten before. They don't care that for years android users and people without Apple products were not able to get digital copies of films. I say all the studios should switch to UV only, and make them pay full price for iTunes if that's what they want. Actually, if I were in charge of a film studio, I would not allow my films on iTunes at all, and force them to join UV if they want them. But no studio will do that.

Comment

Originally posted by echopulse View Post
                They feel very entitled to getting what they have gotten before. They don't care that for years android users and people without Apple products were not able to get digital copies of films. I say all the studios should switch to UV only, and make them pay full price for iTunes if that's what they want. Actually, if I were in charge of a film studio, I would not allow my films on iTunes at all, and force them to join UV if they want them. But no studio will do that.

Harsh, but can't disagree. I stopped feeling sorry for itunes diehards the first time I heard them say about UV....."nobody asked for it, nobody needs it and nobody want's it"

Comment

Originally posted by huskerbear View Post
                  Harsh, but can't disagree. I stopped feeling sorry for itunes diehards the first time I heard them say about UV....."nobody asked for it, nobody needs it and nobody want's it"
                  with being confronted with having to buy an AppleTV set-top box for every TV in my home, agreeing to buy iOS mobile products for the rest of my natural life, I was glad when DECE provided a vendor agnostic alternative.

Disc to Digital sealed the deal for me.

This back lash from new UVVU users frustrated from being confronted with a new platform is hurtful to witness. They were being forced into an option they were unfamiliar with and felt like they were victims of bait and switch tactics.

sadly, I fear it may have a long run in the media and end up greatly deflating the momentum UltraViolet has built up.

Comment

Originally posted by Walter-S_North_Carolina View Post
                    with being confronted with having to buy an AppleTV set-top box for every TV in my home, agreeing to buy iOS mobile products for the rest of my natural life, I was glad when DECE provided a vendor agnostic alternative.

Disc to Digital sealed the deal for me.

This back lash from new UVVU users frustrated from being confronted with a new platform is hurtful to witness. They were being forced into an option they were unfamiliar with and felt like they were victims of bait and switch tactics.

sadly, I fear it may have a long run in the media and end up greatly deflating the momentum UltraViolet has built up.
                    I agree Walter, but let's hope this doesn't kill the momentum built up.

I just wish that Ultraviolet and other providers had taken feedback from myself and others more seriously. We warned them long ago only Vudu was capable of handling redemption's, redemption issues, or people with larger libraries properly. I know, I know, large libraries isn't the issue here. Just sayin' take feedback more seriously and be proactive instead of reactive.

Comment

I didn't participate in the kickstarter (not a fan of the show). Were they promised a specific type of digital copy?

Comment

Originally posted by madmod20061 View Post
                        I didn't participate in the kickstarter (not a fan of the show). Were they promised a specific type of digital copy?
                        My understanding is no, but when it was found to be UV only, the iTunes fans cried a-foul.

Comment

Can't say I really blame them. Both Flixster and the UVVU website need a major overhaul. That's why I stick to VUDU whenever I can.

Comment

Originally posted by Ross208 View Post
                            Can't say I really blame them. Both Flixster and the UVVU website need a major overhaul. That's why I stick to VUDU whenever I can.
                            When a bomb goes off, pointing fingers is easy.

I think the bad news is this event occurred and inertia will likely cease, regardless of the underlying reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Walter-S_North_Carolina View Post
                              When a bomb goes off, pointing fingers is easy.

I think the bad news is this event occurred and inertia will likely cease, regardless of the underlying reasons.
                              If you are saying that this has slowed the momentum that UV and the various partners had been building, then I absolutely agree. It isn't that UV and their partners can't win and won't eventually make other, earlier established services, footnotes in history, rather it is that if the UV partners don't do a better job of making potential customers happy then they'll continue to either push those customers elsewhere or just lose out on them entirely.

Momentum in this area is such a touchy thing. A screw-up or two along the way can easily cost an awful lot of possible future business.

By the same token, the other options have to be careful as well. Having closed systems that don't offer their customers choices for access hurt them. If this had been a case of the Veronica Mars movie only being available on either of those other sources I would have been in the line with everyone here harassing Warners to make the flick available via UV. I want choice, or at least I want my content available in as many places as possible.

I said previously, if I was left with only the Vudu app on my iPad (3rd gen), I'd be hating it. Not being able to easily search content or resort the display of my content is a big problem for me, especially as I keep adding titles to my locker full of content. Until things get more usable, I definitely need as much choice of playback options as possible, and would also like as many choices as possible in potential providers for that content.*

*which is part of why I'm still OK with the way DMA has proceeded. Since I'm getting my primary choice of Vudu for my content and yet also getting stuff -- so far -- added to the DMA locker, I'm able to get to content via a couple of potential servers and don't have to worry too much about what I would have to do if one provider or another were to be unavailable at some point.

Comment

Working...
                              X