Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Amazon FireTv Announced Will there be a Vudu App?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Amazon FireTv Announced Will there be a Vudu App?

How are Netflix, Hulu Plus, and Flixster not competing service?

The lack of iTunes on any box/TV/console other than AppleTV is purely an Apple problem, by my estimation. And I certainly understand the view of Amazon, wanting to be on as many devices as possible. Now that they are manufacturing a competing device, will they want to continue throwing Prime Instant on every possible box? Who, knows.

Originally posted by Ruinit View Post
    Amazon was careful to not put any competing services on the box. They could because they are cheaper than any of the others such as Mgo, Targetticket, Cinemanow etc. I have several different devices already that I don't need another one unless it handled all my services. Amazon sells Disney cheaper than Vudu or Itunes. It will probably take years before we know whether or not our UV's are safe I have over 2400 movies now so I am a little concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedaddict81 View Post
      How are Netflix, Hulu Plus, and Flixster not competing service?

The lack of iTunes on any box/TV/console other than AppleTV is purely an Apple problem, by my estimation. And I certainly understand the view of Amazon, wanting to be on as many devices as possible. Now that they are manufacturing a competing device, will they want to continue throwing Prime Instant on every possible box? Who, knows.
      Can't buy from flixster, the others are subscription based and don't sell items.

Comment

What I would like to see, as I'm sure many others would too, is a device that would play content from the following providers...

Vudu/Flixster
        Netflix
        Amazon Instant Video
        Hulu Plus
        Movies stored on HDD on local network
        iTunes (not really that essential but a nice to have)
        Disney Movies Anywhere

Having said that, I think this Amazon Fire TV would fly off the shelves if they included 6 or 12 months Prime for free with the purchase.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremymc7 View Post
          No offence to Vudu staff or Wal-Mart but slapping Wal-Mart on Vudu products to "help" sell them would DRAG thebrand image down to image. I understand the resources that Wal-Mart brings but Vudu started out as a HIGH END "nitch" company for videophiles which is WHY I went with them and continued to stay with them.

I had SERIOUS concerns about the buy out when I heard about it. Likewise with the Land Rover, Jaguar, etc buyouts. I have no problems with Chinese or Indian companies but they are the last people you think about to buy out a high end car company. Same with Bentley, Rolls, BMW, VW.

Anyhow the gap is obviously narrowing quickly and Vudu is not the only 1080P streaming service and 4K is bound to replace it. Likewise 3D and DD+7.1 is also propagating to other services. Vudu needs some game changers to stay in it. I don't like M-Go but them getting the default Roku instead of Vudu was another nail for Vudu to me.
          My point was Walmart needs to put some marketing dollars into promoting Vudu and UV as the premier streaming service. Vudu users already know this but lets get the Gazillion Walmart shoppers into it also. Are you watching how aggressive Amazon has been in recent years and how Walmart is resting on the fact that they are Walmart. Ask Nokia and Blackberry how that worked out for them. Walmart needs to catch up to the Amazon train and pass it again, Vudu can be a big part of that. Amazon ala Netflix is even doing original programming. Vudu should become like this. It's the way things are evolving in the ever changing Digital Media landscape.

Personally I'm really beginning to hate how everyone is fragmenting the digital media market. We have too many companies doing things their way and no standard. This is only bad for the consumer but obviously good for those companies. Ultraviolet if it were better managed could have solved this and we probably would have only UV and iTunes. Now we have UV, Google, iTunes, Amazon, DMA and it's probably just getting started. Microsoft and Sony might do the same thing. I don't want to have an Android tablet, iPad, Kindle, Surface Pro, Xbox, PS4, Roku, Chromecast, this is getting ridiculous. Choice is a good thing but in this case I'm not 100% convinced it is. I might actually just stick to blu ray because I want to own what I purchase not lease. I don't want my content spread over 3 or 4 different services each with their own rules and agenda's. With physical media I have the media and player, and that's it.

C'mon Ultraviolet get with the program and do something industry changing.

*The opinions expressed here do not reflect the opinions of Vudu or any of the companies mentioned above.

Comment

Amazon is creating an environment like Apple. You'll notice if you look though all the press there is actually a lot of tie in's with their Kindle fire. Personally I can't say that's going to work. I don't think they're really told that many Fire's compared to Tabs, Nexus, Ipad, etc; BUT they keep trying and throwing money at it.

The other selling point is that they are pushing the INSTANT market. It's not something that's going to come across in the press. It's going to be one of those things that you use and you're like it's not VASTLY different from anyone else but it just "FEELS" smoother, quicker, etc.

Then they are going after the cheaper game. People that can't afford (or don't want to) to spend $300-400 on a console and then $50-75 per game. Especially when the rest of the family might be totally lost in how to use it to watch movies or TV.

Lastly they are going after the tweakers with things like voice control. Been done before, mostly in Korean TV's. Still hasn't really taken off. But it's a selling point to draw people in. They may stop using it, but they they buy because of it.

Amazon isn't saying we can do everything, or that we're bleeding edge but they cramming everything we can think of in there, throwing a few kitchen sinks in to make sure it doesn't fall apart with too little power, and making sure that everyone can use it and be (fairly) happy, especially for the price.

>>> I <<< bought one but then I buy one of most every streamer, including a Roku HDMI Streaming Stick last week if for no reason then just to see if Vudu or UV looks, works better, or offers something I missed.
            I'd actually like for Amazon to release how many Kindle Fire's they've sold so far, but I doubt they do so until investors demand it. As long as the overall financial health looks good, and more importantly, the stock keeps going up, Wall St. won't try to poke at them about it very much.

As I said, this item has very limited appeal, and will likely only be bought by people that use Amazon's video service a lot, but don't have any other "box" with the service on it and tech enthusiasts.

In all honesty, I think the device is Amazon's smug way of telling Android users "look, you're never getting an AIV app, and we're not supporting Chromecast, so go buy our box". Fat chance.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruinit View Post
              Can't buy from flixster, the others are subscription based and don't sell items.
              Amazon Prime includes a video subscription service that directly competes with Netflix and Hulu plus to a lesser extent.

Originally posted by BlakkMajik3000 View Post
              I'd actually like for Amazon to release how many Kindle Fire's they've sold so far, but I doubt they do so until investors demand it. As long as the overall financial health looks good, and more importantly, the stock keeps going up, Wall St. won't try to poke at them about it very much.

As I said, this item has very limited appeal, and will likely only be bought by people that use Amazon's video service a lot, but don't have any other "box" with the service on it and tech enthusiasts.

In all honesty, I think the device is Amazon's smug way of telling Android users "look, you're never getting an AIV app, and we're not supporting Chromecast, so go buy our box". Fat chance.
              Not sure why you think this product will have limited appeal. Anyone considering an Apple TV or a Roku would be smart to consider the Fire TV and buy the one that best fits their needs. Just because Roku does things pretty well doesn't mean no one else should enter the market. Not everyone has the same wants in these devices. The market for these devices is not going away, so why shouldn't Amazon give it a shot?

Comment

Originally posted by MoWeb View Post
                My point was Walmart needs to put some marketing dollars into promoting Vudu and UV as the premier streaming service. Vudu users already know this but lets get the Gazillion Walmart shoppers into it also. Are you watching how aggressive Amazon has been in recent years and how Walmart is resting on the fact that they are Walmart. Ask Nokia and Blackberry how that worked out for them. Walmart needs to catch up to the Amazon train and pass it again, Vudu can be a big part of that. Amazon ala Netflix is even doing original programming. Vudu should become like this. It's the way things are evolving in the ever changing Digital Media landscape.

Personally I'm really beginning to hate how everyone is fragmenting the digital media market. We have too many companies doing things their way and no standard. This is only bad for the consumer but obviously good for those companies. Ultraviolet if it were better managed could have solved this and we probably would have only UV and iTunes. Now we have UV, Google, iTunes, Amazon, DMA and it's probably just getting started. Microsoft and Sony might do the same thing. I don't want to have an Android tablet, iPad, Kindle, Surface Pro, Xbox, PS4, Roku, Chromecast, this is getting ridiculous. Choice is a good thing but in this case I'm not 100% convinced it is. I might actually just stick to blu ray because I want to own what I purchase not lease. I don't want my content spread over 3 or 4 different services each with their own rules and agenda's. With physical media I have the media and player, and that's it.

C'mon Ultraviolet get with the program and do something industry changing.

*The opinions expressed here do not reflect the opinions of Vudu or any of the companies mentioned above.
                I'm with you on the UV thing. Oh, and Microsoft already has Xbox Video and Sony has Video Unlimited (which, ironically, does not support UV).

If you think about it, movies are about the only thing left for companies to use as a way of tying you into their ecosystem.

For the most part, I have gone back to discs myself. I've acquired quite a few movies (sans UV codes, but eligible for D2D) over the past few months, but for now I'm only redeeming codes that come with movies I buy, and not feeding any extra money into the system.

Comment

Originally posted by Grey Ghost View Post
                  Not sure why you think this product will have limited appeal. Anyone considering an Apple TV or a Roku would be smart to consider the Fire TV and buy the one that best fits their needs. Just because Roku does things pretty well doesn't mean no one else should enter the market. Not everyone has the same wants in these devices. The market for these devices is not going away, so why shouldn't Amazon give it a shot?
                  If you have an iPhone or iPad, Apple TV should be your first consideration without question, simply because of the integration. Chromecast would be next, and then a toss-up between Roku and FireTV (or insert streaming box here), depending on your needs.

If you have an Android phone/tablet, Chromecast should be the first consideration, then Roku (last I checked, there's an unofficial channel for Google Music), and it's a toss up between Apple TV and FireTV, again, depending on which one has the apps you need.

If you already have a Roku, the FireTV is not really offering you anything you don't already have access to. Plus, the Roku has a pretty big developer community making plug-ins for it. I doubt the FireTV will be that open.

If you want to play casual mobile games on your TV, get one of the bajillion Android devices that will play any title from the market and a MOGA controller. If you have any discerning taste in games whatsoever, an actual gaming console (or PC), while more expensive, will have infinitely more value over time. Let's face it, publishers still make their bread and butter on consoles (to a lesser extent on PC), and that's where the best games are going until the revenue from mobile gaming catches up. How many people do you think are going to pay $50 or $60 a pop for an Android or iOS game?

To top it off, both VUDU and HBO have already said there are currently no plans to bring their services to the FireTV. To be fair, HBO GO will likely come to the FireTV at some point, but I'm not holding my breath for Vudu support. To date, there is still no VUDU app for the Kindle Fire line.

If the FireTV offered something truly revolutionary, I'd have one on the way myself. For example, had they announced that I could stream games from my gaming PC via Steam to it, I would not have been able to buy one fast enough. But in it's current state, it's still pretty much just a "me too" media streamer that, imho, does nothing really significant enough to warrant consideration in this already crowded market.

Comment

It's a bit pricey but check out a new/used Oppo BDP-103. Blazingly fast and Vudu button on remote. 3D. 4K up sampling. HDMI inputs with switching capability. Nice. About $400.

Or get the prior model BDP-93 used for about $300 just as fast but not quite as many features.
                    The Sony BDP-5100 is a gun for running Vudu as well. Don't see myself getting a Fire TV in the near future, as I don't need to waste money on more new toys, when I already have it on others, and I don't need shadow services like AIV or Netflix, I'm a Vudu happy customer.

PS: I enjoy kissing Vudu's A**!

Comment

Originally posted by rdodolak View Post
                      Seems like Amazon is looking to compete with the Roku rather than AppleTV.
                      Why would you say that? Seems like they are going after the farm actually.

Comment

If you already have a Roku, the FireTV is not really offering you anything you don't already have access to. Plus, the Roku has a pretty big developer community making plug-ins for it. I doubt the FireTV will be that open.
                        Yes Fire doesn't (for now) have my Vudu, or Simple.TV, or Tablo TV, nor 3D (that I'm aware of); BUT it does possibly offer a more polished interface. Roku and Apple Tv has very low end interfaces. The individual apps are better (Vudu, Netflix, Hulu) but the stock app interface and desk interface are just blah.

I'll be playing with the Fire tonight after work since Amazon upgraded me to free overnight shipping for whatever reason. Now if it was just a free unit.

Comment

Yes Fire doesn't (for now) have my Vudu, or Simple.TV, or Tablo TV, nor 3D (that I'm aware of); BUT it does possibly offer a more polished interface. Roku and Apple Tv has very low end interfaces. The individual apps are better (Vudu, Netflix, Hulu) but the stock app interface and desk interface are just blah.

I'll be playing with the Fire tonight after work since Amazon upgraded me to free overnight shipping for whatever reason. Now if it was just a free unit.
                          That's one of the reasons I think the Chromecast was a stroke of genius.

The Android UI, at least 4.0+ is pretty nice, and the interfaces for most apps I use are nice as well (still waiting on that redesign VUDU! ) Instead of making another box, with another interface, with it's own apps and all that, just leverage my device.

Comment

I also received mine today after selecting 2-day shipping, but overall it's a disappointment when it comes to watching UV content... Flixster is the only choice, took forever to display my library and despite showing HD badges on those titles, throws up a warning when playback begins that HD is NOT available for every title I've tried so far (including those from parent company Warner Bros.).

Help us, Obi-VUDU... you're our only hope! LOL

Comment

To top it off, both VUDU and HBO have already said there are currently no plans to bring their services to the FireTV.
                              Where did you see this statement from Vudu?

Comment

If you have an iPhone or iPad, Apple TV should be your first consideration without question, simply because of the integration. Chromecast would be next, and then a toss-up between Roku and FireTV (or insert streaming box here), depending on your needs.

If you have an Android phone/tablet, Chromecast should be the first consideration, then Roku (last I checked, there's an unofficial channel for Google Music), and it's a toss up between Apple TV and FireTV, again, depending on which one has the apps you need.

If you want to play casual mobile games on your TV, get one of the bajillion Android devices that will play any title from the market and a MOGA controller. If you have any discerning taste in games whatsoever, an actual gaming console (or PC), while more expensive, will have infinitely more value over time. Let's face it, publishers still make their bread and butter on consoles (to a lesser extent on PC), and that's where the best games are going until the revenue from mobile gaming catches up. How many people do you think are going to pay $50 or $60 a pop for an Android or iOS game?

To top it off, both VUDU and HBO have already said there are currently no plans to bring their services to the FireTV. To be fair, HBO GO will likely come to the FireTV at some point, but I'm not holding my breath for Vudu support. To date, there is still no VUDU app for the Kindle Fire line.

If the FireTV offered something truly revolutionary, I'd have one on the way myself. For example, had they announced that I could stream games from my gaming PC via Steam to it, I would not have been able to buy one fast enough. But in it's current state, it's still pretty much just a "me too" media streamer that, imho, does nothing really significant enough to warrant consideration in this already crowded market.
                                So you are basically saying its dead on launch.
                                Sure it could have more features, but so could every device.
                                Those are all wonderful and rational reasons above and they make sense to me, but average Joe consumer won't be applying that line of thinking. If Amazon pushes the advertising they will compete.

Not all Apple users are so heavily invested in iTunes movies that they wouldn't consider this unit, and not everyone is thrilled with Chromecast. And most people have close to zero technical background so they are not even looking at other android devices or Roku plug ins etc.

Games for this device will not be $60, probably $5-10 at max. Amazon is claiming an average price of $1.85 per game.

Anyways, I'll let Jeff know what you think.

Comment

Working...
                                X