Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

UV + 2 mil. So Far in '14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UV + 2 mil. So Far in '14

There is a new report out indicating there are now more then seventeen million UltraViolet account holders.

@ the end of Q4-13 there were reported 15 mil.

That is about 0.5 million new accounts per month, or one every six seconds for the first four months of '14.

Re: UV + 2 mil. So Far in '14

Originally posted by Walter-S_North_Carolina View Post
    There is a new report out indicating there are now more then seventeen million UltraViolet account holders.

@ the end of Q4-13 there were reported 15 mil.

That is about 0.5 million new accounts per month, or one every six seconds for the first four months of '14.
    The question I have is how many of those accounts were created and then never used again because the process scared the consumer away. UV could boast 50 millions accounts, but it doesn't matter if only 10% are actively using UV.

Comment

Originally posted by LuzRinggold View Post
      The question I have is how many of those accounts were created and then never used again because the process scared the consumer away. UV could boast 50 millions accounts, but it doesn't matter if only 10% are actively using UV.
      I believe defining "Actively Using" to be difficult.

After all, how often have you purchased a packaged media copy of a title to watch it once or twice and then relegate it to perpetual shelf storage?

If you are like me, that was common.

In that case, we would not be considered active users in the packaged media market.

UV & Vudu just take the dusty book shelf out of the equation and put it into your TV remote to make it easier to access & also as a way to safeguard your purchase for future use.

Comment

I believe defining "Actively Using" to be difficult.

After all, how often have you purchased a packaged media copy of a title to watch it once or twice and then relegate it to perpetual shelf storage?

If you are like me, that was common.

In that case, we would not be considered active users in the packaged media market.

UV & Vudu just take the dusty book shelf out of the equation and put it into your TV remote to make it easier to access & also as a way to safeguard your purchase for future use.
        While true on a per-title basis, if the packaged media stays on a shelf because you got a new packaged media, you would still be an "active user" of packaged media as a whole. Same thing applies to UV. I don't watch every single UV title I own in a given day, month, hell even year, yet I would certainly consider myself an active user.

Now, I would like to know how many of the new users are continuing to use the UV system for redemptions, purchases and streams, and didn't just create an account to redeem a copy of Catching Fire and never touch it again. Seems kinda clear-cut to me.

Comment

Originally posted by vanton619 View Post
          While true on a per-title basis, if the packaged media stays on a shelf because you got a new packaged media, you would still be an "active user" of packaged media as a whole. Same thing applies to UV. I don't watch every single UV title I own in a given day, month, hell even year, yet I would certainly consider myself an active user.

Now, I would like to know how many of the new users are continuing to use the UV system for redemptions, purchases and streams, and didn't just create an account to redeem a copy of Catching Fire and never touch it again. Seems kinda clear-cut to me.
          I respectfully disagree.

If a user redeems a copy of Catching Fire to try the novelty of UV streaming and that is the one time they use UV with only trying twenty minutes of the movie on their cell phone before deciding it wasn't for them and never used UV again, then "yes" they could not be quantified as an "active user" by any metric.

However, if a user redeems a copy of Catching Fire to try as a novelty, watches twenty minutes and then parks the whole idea for six months only to later redeem their copy of Noah later this year, at which point they have two titles. Still neither are utilized often until a third and a fourth get added around the `14 holiday season. After that they warm up to the concept of UV.

There are a couple dozen other scenarios I can paint. As such, the active user question is one I personally believe is difficult to quantify.

A one-and-done user is for sure not active, but how long do we have to wait for that to be a quantified metric? One month? Six months? A year?

Regardless, I personally find account numbers to be a poor metric to measure success. I think the daily high water mark of simultaneous streams to be better. That metric has never been published, but I can assure you that it is known. I also believe there is good indication it has steadily been on the rise.

Comment

Active user would be any account that has been accessed during the past 30 days. All systems know when a user has logged in or accessed their account.

Comment

Active user would be any account that has been accessed during the past 30 days. All systems know when a user has logged in or accessed their account.
              Then an active packaged media user is one who has watched or purchased a DVD/BRD in the past 30 days. I am not sure I agree with you on that one.

Comment

Then an active packaged media user is one who has watched or purchased a DVD/BRD in the past 30 days. I am not sure I agree with you on that one.
                You don't have to agree, but my point is that MANY people create a UV account, or attempt to, and then decide that they don't like it and NEVER return to it. Accounts cannot be counted as "active" if the account hasn't been accessed over a period of time. That means they have streamed, downloaded, purchased, rented, browsed, or redeemed a UV code. Any activity that uses the account they created.

iTunes should monitor in much the same way and not report an account as active if it hasn't been accessed over a period of time.

Comment

You don't have to agree, but my point is that MANY people create a UV account, or attempt to, and then decide that they don't like it and NEVER return to it. Accounts cannot be counted as "active" if the account hasn't been accessed over a period of time. That means they have streamed, downloaded, purchased, rented, browsed, or redeemed a UV code. Any activity that uses the account they created.

iTunes should monitor in much the same way and not report an account as active if it hasn't been accessed over a period of time.
                  Good point.

Napster still can claim tens of millions of accounts, but no one uses it any more. America On-Line is another example.

Kinda like me and packaged media. I can not remember the last time I sat down and watched a movie via plastic disc.

I guess the big difference with UV and America On-Line or Napster is UV is just starting out so the frequency of user activity is much higher then those dead applications.

Still I think a one-and-done user who tried UV and decided it wasn't for them may still become more active when their twitter friend suggest they link up and it translates into a subsequent spark of interest. I think the likelihood of a one-and-done user rubbing elbows with an acquaintance who kindles an interest in UV at some point in the future is gotta be expected as UV continues to pick up acceptance and brand awareness. In that respect, the one-and-done'ers are only temporary in-active. At least, a portion of them are.

Comment

I'm one of those new users and I really enjoy ultraviolet. I like that I can use a number of apps to access my movies. Vudu has become my go to choice for the picture quality and the in home disc to digital service. I have talked to a number of friends that are intrigued by the idea of moving their collections to the cloud so don't expect those new account numbers to slow down anytime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Irondeth View Post
                      I'm one of those new users and I really enjoy ultraviolet. I like that I can use a number of apps to access my movies. Vudu has become my go to choice for the picture quality and the in home disc to digital service. I have talked to a number of friends that are intrigued by the idea of moving their collections to the cloud so don't expect those new account numbers to slow down anytime soon.
                      Did you previously use iTunes or just DVD/Blu-ray? If you used iTunes then can you try to explain what made UV your "go to choice"?

Comment

Did you previously use iTunes or just DVD/Blu-ray? If you used iTunes then can you try to explain what made UV your "go to choice"?
                        I tried itunes years ago and it just seemed to restrictive. I can't access my movies through my ps3, ps4, my android tablet and phone, or my roku on itunes so I was turned off to the whole idea of digital copies at first. When I saw that I could access ultraviolet through pretty much all of my devices I gave digital copies another chance and I'm glad I did.

Comment

Still I think a one-and-done user who tried UV and decided it wasn't for them may still become more active when their twitter friend suggest they link up and it translates into a subsequent spark of interest. I think the likelihood of a one-and-done user rubbing elbows with an acquaintance who kindles an interest in UV at some point in the future is gotta be expected as UV continues to pick up acceptance and brand awareness. In that respect, the one-and-done'ers are only temporary in-active. At least, a portion of them are.
                          You're correct that re-entry (reactivating an inactive account) is much easier than creating a new account, but accounts that are inactive for significantly more than 30 days tend to be abandoned. Many users will create a new account at that point...or, if the system notifies users during account creation that email address is already in use and prompts them to recover the password, the original account may be reactivated. It all depends on how the user accounts are managed. I find it somewhat fascinating how proper user account management can decrease abandonment...but then I find lots of odd things fascinating.

Comment

I've been hoping for some good news. If this keeps up there will be 20 million by late summer. I think that will be quite a milestone, and they will trumpet that when they hit it.

Comment

Originally posted by echopulse View Post
                              I've been hoping for some good news. If this keeps up there will be 20 million by late summer. I think that will be quite a milestone, and they will trumpet that when they hit it.
                              Again, I don't think that number is a true reflection of how many active and satisfied users there of. I think the number is inflated, just as I think iTunes number is inflated. I created an iTunes account about 4 years ago and after a couple of days, and after their software totally screwed up my laptop, I stopped using it and will NEVER use it again. So that is one iTunes account that is not being used. I am sure there are many accounts not being used and they should not be counted. It's like continuing to count people in the census even after they are dead.

In fact, that type of reporting is somewhat dishonest if the company is a public company. But of course we don't really know how these guys are coming up with these numbers. Perhaps they are filter out accounts that have zero activity over a period of time.

Comment

Working...
                              X