Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Major issue with The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Major issue with The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)

I contacted Vudu on facebook about this and was told to post here. I'm at my wit's end. Ultraviolet has been impossible to deal with. I hope this is indeed a problem that falls under vudu's domain or hopefully someone knows how to get in touch with someone competent at ultraviolet.

This all started when I did D2D on Vudu for The Day the Earth Stood still. What follows is my most recent message to ultraviolet:

"Hi,
    I'm going to be as specific as possible here. First: I expect you guys to fix this problem this time. I'm tired of you blaming vudu and vudu blaming you. Take responsibility and fix it. Please. The frustration I'm feeling is unimaginable. If this doesn't get fixed this time, my next step is getting the media involved and exposing why the ultraviolet platform is terrible. Plenty of sites would love to write about this ridiculous problem I'm having.

So, at some point not too long ago, I used disc-to-digital conversion on vudu's website and converted The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951). It was successful. The movie ported out of vudu to other ultraviolet vendors like Cinema Now and Flixster correctly. A few months ago, something went wrong with the title rights. It is now porting out as the 2008 version of The Day the Earth Stood Still, which is an awful film and is not the one I purchased.

I figured this wouldn't be a big deal to get fixed. I contacted vudu first. They said it's an ultraviolet issue. I contacted you guys and told you the problem and said that vudu said it's your problem to deal with. You guys escalated it and...forwarded it to vudu. Vudu escalated it and...said it's an ultraviolet issue. They don't control the rights, you guys do. I'm inclined to believe them. Fix my movie, please. Seriously...fix it. This isn't right and it's unbelievable I've had to go back and forth like this. I have at least 5 emails from you guys and a bunch from vudu because of this. Like I said, the media would love to write about this.

If you're reading this and you can't fix this, get this to your boss. If your boss is reading this and he can't fix it, please move it on up the food chain. PLEASE!!!!

Thanks,"

Six minutes after I sent this message to ultraviolet, they closed my request and escalated to Vudu. I'm speechless. Please, someone help!

Re: Major issue with The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)

Originally posted by awil1026 View Post
    I contacted Vudu on facebook about this and was told to post here. I'm at my wit's end. Ultraviolet has been impossible to deal with. I hope this is indeed a problem that falls under vudu's domain or hopefully someone knows how to get in touch with someone competent at ultraviolet.

This all started when I did D2D on Vudu for The Day the Earth Stood still. What follows is my most recent message to ultraviolet:

"Hi,
    I'm going to be as specific as possible here. First: I expect you guys to fix this problem this time. I'm tired of you blaming vudu and vudu blaming you. Take responsibility and fix it. Please. The frustration I'm feeling is unimaginable. If this doesn't get fixed this time, my next step is getting the media involved and exposing why the ultraviolet platform is terrible. Plenty of sites would love to write about this ridiculous problem I'm having.

So, at some point not too long ago, I used disc-to-digital conversion on vudu's website and converted The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951). It was successful. The movie ported out of vudu to other ultraviolet vendors like Cinema Now and Flixster correctly. A few months ago, something went wrong with the title rights. It is now porting out as the 2008 version of The Day the Earth Stood Still, which is an awful film and is not the one I purchased.

I figured this wouldn't be a big deal to get fixed. I contacted vudu first. They said it's an ultraviolet issue. I contacted you guys and told you the problem and said that vudu said it's your problem to deal with. You guys escalated it and...forwarded it to vudu. Vudu escalated it and...said it's an ultraviolet issue. They don't control the rights, you guys do. I'm inclined to believe them. Fix my movie, please. Seriously...fix it. This isn't right and it's unbelievable I've had to go back and forth like this. I have at least 5 emails from you guys and a bunch from vudu because of this. Like I said, the media would love to write about this.

If you're reading this and you can't fix this, get this to your boss. If your boss is reading this and he can't fix it, please move it on up the food chain. PLEASE!!!!

Thanks,"

Six minutes after I sent this message to ultraviolet, they closed my request and escalated to Vudu. I'm speechless. Please, someone help!

Could you post your VUDU case number? I'll take a look and help if I can.

Comment

If I remember correctly, there was an error in At Home D2D that caused it to read the "Day" DVD as the '08 version (and in fairness it says so on the screen when you put the disc in). If your copy came from D2D then yes, you have always had the '08 version. I purchased it outright and it still shows up correctly. I think the only solution is either for you to physically take it into a WalMart and do the D2D there or hope that Vudu has mercy on you and basically gives you a free copy of the '51. If anything, this doesn't have anything to do with UV so no point in contacting them.

Good luck.

Comment

I d2d both of those and they show up correct in mine.............

Comment

Originally posted by DanielH View Post
          Could you post your VUDU case number? I'll take a look and help if I can.
          So, I have at least three reference numbers related to this incident. Vudu keeps telling me to go back to UV, UV escalates to vudu... you get the deal. Let me paste those below. Below that, I'll provide some additional information that hopefully clarifies and addresses the two additional posts in this thread.

Ref #: 141004-000793
          Ref #: 140930-000253
          Ref #: 140930-000252

Now, to immediately address Cranston37: There was at one point a D2D issue way before I attempted to D2D this title. It was fixed. I assure you, I have the 1951 version in my vudu account and can play it. Initially, it ported out correctly to my other linked services, e.g. flixster.

So, I was on the phone with someone at flixster yesterday for 90 minutes. It was for an unrelated issue that the support guy ultimately discovered he had never seen occur before. No need to waste time here with that, though. I had him look at my rights to Day the Earth Stood Still. He agreed something was wrong, but he couldn't speculate on exactly which party was responsible for helping me.

HERE'S THE INTERESTING PART: In any service besides vudu, the rights are corrupted for this movie for me. Some (Target Ticket, Paramount) recognize it as the 1951 version but won't play it. M-Go shows the 1951 version in my library, but if you click the link to get taken to the movie's page, it takes you to an error page, even though M-go has the 1951 title available. Flixster shows the 2008 version, but it fails to play after two or three seconds. CinemaNow shows the 2008 version as well. My belief is that the rights are corrupted for me and that this is an individual problem. If someone with the '51 version (who originally got it on vudu either D2D or via purchase) can play the '51 version on a service besides vudu, let me know! I'd so greatly appreciate it.

My desire, given the above information and pending feedback from others with the '51 version, is for vudu to remove the '51 title from my library and re-add it. The guy at flixster said it could be an issue with Fox and their meta data or the rights backend with uv, but if no one else is having this issue, perhaps my proposed solution will worK. This problem has been stressful to deal with because I'm not getting any help on it. Replies like the one from Cranston (basically, someone who thinks it's something I'm doing incorrectly or that I'm tech-illiterate) only exacerbate the problem. (I know youre just trying to help, Cranston, and I greatly appreciate that you're making an effort to assist me in this matter.)

If anyone needs further explanation about my issue, let me know.

In summary:
          -Did D2D on Day the Earth Stood Still '51.
          -Not an idiot' know I received '51 version and that it initially ported out correctly.
          -Rights are now perhaps corrupted for me individually, or something else is wrong. Can't play title anywhere besides vudu and the other services are not interpreting the rights data in the same manner. At the same time, regardless of how the other services interpret the rights data, it's not yielding a playable version of any iteration of Day the Earth Stood Still, or any other movie, for that matter!

Thanks so much for reading this wall of text, and thanks for any help. I hope this can be rectified!

Comment

Replies like the one from Cranston (basically, someone who thinks it's something I'm doing incorrectly or that I'm tech-illiterate) only exacerbate the problem. (I know youre just trying to help, Cranston, and I greatly appreciate that you're making an effort to assist me in this matter.)
            Woah there buddy, I never said or even thought that. Just taking some time out of my work day to help you troubleshoot a problem. If you know I'm just trying to help, then maybe the first part of that response could have been left out, ya know?

Comment

Originally posted by Cranston37 View Post
              Woah there buddy, I never said or even thought that. Just taking some time out of my work day to help you troubleshoot a problem. If you know I'm just trying to help, then maybe the first part of that response could have been left out, ya know?
              You're probably right. Whenever I do D2D, I ensure that the title mapping is correct, the resolution is correct, and that the amount charged is correct. I was just bruised a bit by you putting it down to me not being competent enough to do that. You knew of an issue with the title, though, and went off that. I harbor no ill will towards you. You do have my apologies and I do thank you for taking the time out of your day to offer help. I know you don't have to and I do appreciate your efforts. Again, I apologize.

Comment

I was able to convert the 1951 version via in-home D2D. The DVD read as the correct version.

On Vudu, it redeemed correctly. On my other connected accounts it does show up as the 2008 version and this is what will play. It has always showed up as the 2008 version on the other accounts.

Comment

I converted both versions of The Day the Earth Stood Still through D2D, so this may not be a valid comparison, but here are my results:
                  • VUDU - Both versions play correctly.
                  • Flixster - The 1951 version plays correctly. The 2008 version shows an error and does not load.
                  • M-Go - The 1951 version isn't available (has 2 entries, but neither is to watch/purchase). The 2008 version plays correctly.
                  • CinemaNow - Both versions appear to be available and UV, but neither shows in my library.
                  • UVVU - Both versions link to the correct pages on VUDU for playback.

Comment

These last two posts have some good information. I thank you both!

So, if others are indeed affected, my proposed solution doesn't seem likely to work. Something is not right with this title's rights management. The question is: whose fault is it, and who can fix it? Ultraviolet won't do anything about it. I don't know if there exists some super-secret way of contacting them, but the people that can be reached via the conventional method on their site can't or won't assist. They just forward it on to vudu and blame them. The guy at flixster did say it could be the rights-holder's (20th Century Fox) fault and that the metadata could be messed up. This seems like one of those issues that won't get fixed unless someone gets in touch with the right person. I don't like feeling this frustrated and unable to fix something.

Comment

Daniel, I still haven't heard back from you. I sent a PM to you. I've been in contact with Fox and am waiting to see what they have to say about this.

Comment

Daniel, I still haven't heard back from you. I sent a PM to you. I've been in contact with Fox and am waiting to see what they have to say about this.
                        Sorry for the delay, i just responded

Comment

Working...
                        X