Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

The 3 Common D2D Error Messages - What Do They Mean (and how can we help fix?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 3 Common D2D Error Messages - What Do They Mean (and how can we help fix?)

I'm not asking the populace (unless someone has received a VUDU response in the past),
    but am posting this for VUDU techs:

I get 3 common errors:

PROBLEM IDENTIFYING (what is the "problem"?) It is a commercially released disc, not a burned copy.
    MANUALLY IDENTIFYING (who is doing this? It seems that no one at Vudu is actually doing this?)
    NOT ELIGIBLE or INELIGIBLE (again, of a title that is D2D-eligible from a commercially released disc)

I find my success rate for using Vudu 2 Go is about ... 40-50% for getting a disc to be recognized by V2G.

I've heard it's the database, that it's a third-party database (Gracenote) and hasn't been updated (which is why newer titles (2013-2016) do not get recognized.

What can we - as the users of VUDU do to help. What information do you need from us to update the database, so these thousands of discs listed start to work and be identified?

Re: The 3 Common D2D Error Messages - What Do They Mean (and how can we help fix?)

These topics have been pretty much reported and answered before.

PROBLEM IDENTIFYING - You can either try a different PC/Disc drive and also do some BIOS modifications depending on your motherboard chipset

MANUALLY IDENTIFYING - This is pretty much non-existent, most likely a generic response for misread discs

NOT ELIGIBLE or INELIGIBLE - First check to see if it's truly eligible at http://www.vudu.com/in_home_disc_to_digital.html If a title does show as eligible but is read as ineligible, contact customer care. Title availability totally depends on the studios.

Vudu just added TONS of new titles within the last week or so. Hopefully this means even more updates on the app side as well. It's really needed.

Comment

Re: The 3 Common D2D Error Messages - What Do They Mean (and how can we help fix?)

Yeah - saw all those new titles - so happy (been a long drought for that many updated titles)

I suspect the PROBLEM IDENTIFYING goes deeper, as many of these discs HAVE been checked via multiple machines (1 at work and 2 at home, and still don't read). I'd understand if it were more rare, but it's so dang common.

Comment

PROBLEM IDENTIFYING: This seems to be an issue with reading the discs. I've had a few discs that children have abused taken in for cleaning up the scratches in them to find they work afterwards. So I suspect this is the sort of issue trying a different, more precise reader or fiddling with settings might fix.

MANUALLY IDENTIFYING: Discs are done in big batches, and there are so many versions these days, even before you get to older movies having multiple runs, maybe even going to producer who mass produces low cost. I take this to be a sort of, "We have the code, but we don't know what this goes to." It's possible the message means that if a disc with that code were verified at a physical store (or perhaps several) it would be applied to the system. Which seems like a good system on paper, but the many problems store verification has had makes it seem unlikely to work, which is why it doesn't seem to. That said, I have once or twice had a disc start working several months and updates later. But whether it was manually verified or the studio just updated the things they gave Vudu, who knows?

NOT ELIGIBLE or INELIGIBLE: This is the most annoying problem. I've seen titles show up, gotten excited, then gotten this notice. It recognizes the movie. The movie says it works when I check Vudu by typing it in. I can only guess that they didn't give the code for that disc to Vudu as available for D2D. Although some other version might work.

Sometimes Vudu is spot on with what version of a movie I have when it adds to my cart, other times, it claims it's some other version. I only guess it's because that particular reading of the security code, or whatever Vudu uses, was used in multiple runs, or only in that particular one. So this makes me think there's huge amounts of that information, and the studios pull some out when they work on their licensing agreements with Vudu. Sometimes they get it all, sometimes they grab three or four codes for a movie that has twenty. I think a lot of the problem is how for many years no one cared about that information, so it probably wasn't made easy to look through or sort out.

Comment

I understand - if it were just a matter of logging UPC, it would probably be easy to fix (you could scrape Amazon for multiple known releases of any film).

I don't think the Gracenote database that VUDU 2 GO uses ... checks UPC codes at all.

I know that for 5,800+ working discs we use in our D2D group - that we have nearly 13,000 discs that don't (but should). Not counting "new releases" (2013-2016) - which don't work with V2G ... which it seems could (as the D2D rights are definitely in place and other services do offer D2D for new releases).

We'd be glad to give VUDU all that data, if it would improve their database - and get titles working (which could only benefit everyone).

Hence the over-arching "how can WE all help fix" - how can we help VUDU help us? (in Jerry Maguire voice)

Comment

Yet Cinemanow seems to read discs 99% of the time with no problem whatsoever. Problem is they don't allow blu rays and have a lot less eligible titles. Vudu needs to use their disc recognition software.

Comment

Yes, VUDU clearly accepts new release D2D (at least in store), so it has been theorized it's a matter of just making newer discs eligible via V2G to work - possibly through an update to their recognition database.

As D2D-eligibility doesn't preclude at-home or new releases at all, it just seems to need a nudge (and, I suppose, sufficient manpower inside VUDU, who I'm sure are busy)

Comment

*moved to own thread
                Last edited by craiggers88; 06-20-2016, 11:43 AM. Reason: hijacking

Comment

Working...
                X