Default Couple Of Suggestions

I don't think Vudu will make it in my opinion. However, since their is a forum, and the moderators say they will pass on feedback to the powers that be, there might be a chance.

Now I'm hard core movie/show watcher. I go to the movies 2-3 times a week, and watch 4-6 hours of Netflix a day.

After looking Vudu over here on the site, and my 360, I want to make a few suggestions. Mind you, if Vudu offered most of the suggestions I give, it would be all I ever need.

1.| Rent To Own: I know this may never happen due to contract issues, and the greedy studios and such, but I think if a person rents a movie or show enough times that the cost equals the value of owning it, he/she should automatically own the movie/show.

For example, if I rent "Blade" at a value of $5, but rent it 4 times over-time($5 x 4 = $20), then I should automatically own "Blade" on my fourth rental(assuming price is buy price $20).

2.| Too Expensive: I can understand new movies being $5 for a rental, but for movies over 10 years old? At that price I'll just stick with Netflix for $8 a month.

Movies(nearly new), should be no more than $2.50 a night. Movies 10 years or older should only be $1 night. Right now the system is backwards, newer movies are cheaper than older ones. I know that the pricing is close to what the competitors are, but they aren't a huge sensation either are they? Not compared to Netflix.

3.| Season Pass: I wish there was a season pass(rental, as much as you want) for TV shows released, and upcoming. Maybe $20 a season. Some people like to watch the same episodes over and over. The current the price per episode is a an insult, and the cost of a season is a bit high(yes, even the DVD's are priced too high). At the current rate, I don't ever see TV Shows being a success(but they are on Netflix).

4.| UltraViolet: very smart move and is one of the best things I've seen since Netflix. However, I see a huge problem. There should be a way to reverse the process. For example, I think there should be an option to get my movies from the Cloud onto a USB hard-drive. I'd hate to spend all that money putting everything on a Cloud, but then my internet go down. Then I cannot watch what I purchased. So this makes me skeptical about doing it. I just want to be able to request a backup of my Cloud. I wish I could just roll in Walmart, pay for a USB hard-drive, and get my Cloud backed up on it at the conversion station.

5.| Commercial Free: keep it commercial free. If you have to, I think the most that can be tolerated is a short commerical at the beginning of a movie, and that's it. I don't have cable or satellite TV. Which, when I visit my parents once a week, they have cable. They are paying $80 a month to watch commercials in my opinion. TV shows are 15-20 minutes long, but last an hour because of all the commercials. After having Netflix, I could never go back to that.

6.| Subscription: I think there should be a cheap option, where I pay something like $20 a month, and get 5 free movie rentals(HDX) and keep one movie(HDX). Perhaps a separate subscription for TV Shows like $20 a month, get 5 free rentals(HDX) and keep one season(HDX). I still think that pricing is high, but I could live with it.

Heck you could do $10 a month, get 5 movie rentals(HDX). That's one for each week +1. I'd do that right now if you had it offered.

Those are my suggestions. I know they are not easy ones, but I think they would make Vudu successful(by successful, I mean it's a name in every home).

Right now at the moment, I wouldn't use it mainly because of pricing. I'm already partial to Zune, although I only rent from it at parties. Just my 2 cents...

Thanks.

Default Re: Couple Of Suggestions

on 4) Ultraviolet is working on something that would allow us to store our movies for back-up and able to watch offline from what I've read.

Quote Originally Posted by xarcell
    I don't think Vudu will make it in my opinion. However, since their is a forum, and the moderators say they will pass on feedback to the powers that be, there might be a chance.
    Vudu has been around for 5 years, I think. Back then, fewer people streamed from any source, compared to now. I think Vudu's business will continue to grow due to that.

What makes you think Vudu won't last? Because they don't run their business exactly as YOU think it should be run? Vudu is backed by one of the largest corporations in America. I think they'll be okay.

Quote Originally Posted by iwubuv View Post
    on 4) Ultraviolet is working on something that would allow us to store our movies for back-up and able to watch offline from what I've read.
    Flixster already seems to offer it, and Vudu has had this for a while now. You can download movies but you have to use the Adobe Air player (presumably for DRM protection).
    [command INSERTWITTYQUIP failed: insufficient wit]

Quote Originally Posted by iwubuv View Post
    yep, I am waiting for that functionality......they will use the CFF(Common File Format), I am VERY curious to see what devices will be available to allow downloading to them AND offline play......Ultraviolet is to be DLNA compatible, so maybe that will open things up.....

Thread Information