Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

How many DVD's did you upgrade/convert?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How many DVD's did you upgrade/convert?

I have done 45 DVDs to HDX, so far so good. Same deal with me, Walmart wasn't ready for it yet, they called me back later that day and I went back. And true to Walmart employees, they weren't very on the ball, I had Zoolander on the list, but somehow didn't bring it with me, but they went ahead and approved it lol. I didn't realize what happened till I got home. And yes their stamp wipes off with rubbing alchohol if you want to.

One problem I'm having, I upgraded Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight. However the HDX version plays in fullscreen, but with the image smushed as if it is meant to be widescreen(the Universal logo is egg shaped). I called Vudu about it... long agonizing conversation short, they insist it's supposed to be that way, and will not admit to their mistake under any circumstance. So thats $5 down the drain, and a big FU to anyone who rents or buys it.

Comment

I only did 3, I wanted to make sure everything worked before I spend more money. Only thing I am hoping for is to see if you can download some of these to an IOS device for offline viewing. Streaming only is not good when you are away from home.

Comment

Originally posted by Jdmac29 View Post
        I only did 3, I wanted to make sure everything worked before I spend more money. Only thing I am hoping for is to see if you can download some of these to an IOS device for offline viewing. Streaming only is not good when you are away from home.
        You can download them for offline use with Flixster on iOS. You need to have both your Flixster account and your Vudu account tied to the same Ultraviolet account. Only caveat is some movies, especially those from Paramount and Fox, are not available on Flixster yet but they are working on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Starkenator View Post
          You can download them for offline use with Flixster on iOS. You need to have both your Flixster account and your Vudu account tied to the same Ultraviolet account. Only caveat is some movies, especially those from Paramount and Fox, are not available on Flixster yet but they are working on it.
          Well 2 of the movies Batman Begins and Superman Returns apparently are not available in ultraviolet, neither shows up on my flixster on my iphone. I figure when the new batman movie comes out later this year they will probably have a new batman begins special edition that will come with an ultraviolet copy and then hopefully it will show up on flixster. Hope for the same with Superman returns when the new movie comes out next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Jdmac29 View Post
            Well 2 of the movies Batman Begins and Superman Returns apparently are not available in ultraviolet, neither shows up on my flixster on my iphone.
            That doesn't mean they're not available via Ultraviolet. Only about half of my UV movies are available on Flixster. On the Flixster web site, it says that not all UV movies are available to be streamed on Flixster.

Comment

So far 245 movies. Guess you could say I'm addicted to Vudu.

Comment

Originally posted by bbyers70 View Post
                So far 245 movies. Guess you could say I'm addicted to Vudu.
                How do all the HDX movies look to you? I'm not seeing consistency on my HDX movies as some look really good while others look really bad and they're all HDX, don't know why?

Comment

Originally posted by lujan View Post
                  How do all the HDX movies look to you? I'm not seeing consistency on my HDX movies as some look really good while others look really bad and they're all HDX, don't know why?
                  I know you asked the other poster.

However, I have converted 15. Two of them are mediocre. 13 of them are fantastic.

My guess is that it has nothing to due with VUDU or UV. It has to do with the copy they receive from the studios.

Philip

Comment

No different than BDs. Some look really good and some look really bad. Vudu can only encode what the studios give them. If it's a crappy master they are given then it will be a crappy encode.

Comment

Originally posted by philipk View Post
                      I know you asked the other poster.

However, I have converted 15. Two of them are mediocre. 13 of them are fantastic.

My guess is that it has nothing to due with VUDU or UV. It has to do with the copy they receive from the studios.

Philip
                      Originally posted by aaronwt View Post
                      No different than BDs. Some look really good and some look really bad. Vudu can only encode what the studios give them. If it's a crappy master they are given then it will be a crappy encode.
                      Yeah, I guess you're both right about Vudu only using what's given to them but I don't see how they can call some of them HD when it looks so bad?

Comment

Yeah, I guess you're both right about Vudu only using what's given to them but I don't see how they can call some of them HD when it looks so bad?
                        I here you!

I have had both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD that didn't look HD. It is usually true for older movies.

The main problem is when a studio doesn't take time to do a good transfer.

A secondary problem is the original print. Many wide screen movies were not anamorphic but a cropped standard frame which means less resolution.

Also many films were soft focus by the director's instruction.

Philip

Comment

Yes, some of the HDX movies are awful. Hedwig and the Angry Inch looks terrible in HDX. I should have just paid for the SD as it couldn't have looked any worse.

Comment

I have only done 3 right now as a "might as well give it a go" mindset and so far, I am happy with the results. My closest wal-mart said it would take like 20 minutes because she didn't know how to do it yet. I went to another one the same day and it was done in like 3-5 minutes as it was their second day doing it and they haven't gotten used to the process. But I must say that for a new service like this, I'm happy it went as smoothly as it did and the quality is fantastic streaming from my PS3. I just wish the wal-mart staff were better prepared for this prior to opening week.

Comment

I took in 7 the first day the DtoD was in place. All of them were DVD (SD) to HDX quality as I'm only doing those. I have 3 more to take but waiting for the used DVD's to come in to convert to HDX. Will have 10 total initially.
                              Took the next 3 in to the same store today 'cause I wanted to take it to a store where they knew what they were doing even though this is not the closest store. When I got home there were there at Vudu ready for me to watch.

Comment

I've done nearly 50 upgrades in 3 batches. I have to say the 4 different WalMart employees I encountered--over two different stores--had never done it before. At the store I visited today, the employee literally cracked the seal on their supplies so I know I was the first person to use Disk to Digital at that location. This isn't going to be an overnight success but these experiences make me wonder how early demand is meeting expectations.

As a consumer, I love it. I had decided to go digital with my media some time ago and this is sooooooo much cheaper than buying HD films from iTunes. Spent $49 today to unlock 20 films. I'd be lucky to get 3 downloads from Apple for that money.

Also like the fact that Disk to Digital supports HD (HDX) ownership of many films which you can't even buy from the likes of Apple. Pretty much every Warner Bros film is rent only in HD from iTunes. But now I own the HDX VUDU / UV version of Batman Begins, Harry Potter and others for only $2 each.

Consumer confusion is going to be an ongoing problem for Ultraviolet, though. There seem to be multiple servers involved here (VUDU, UV and Flixster, just to name three) and none of them communicate seamlessly. I have to log-into each service's website--in the right order--to get the content to propagate to all.

And then you've got the issues with Disney (and others) not participating in Disk to Digital, Apple not participating in UV, other studios not supporting Flixster, content disappearing from the store due to pay tv commitments, etc. I've even got one film which is VUDU only.

I also despise the fact that bundled digital downloads do not properly identify whether you are getting an SD or HD version, and that there is no upgrade path from SD to HD. What's the point of selling me a 1080p Blu Ray disk bundled with a muddy SD VUDU / UV code?

Lack of extensive support for iOS devices is also a big drawback.

As a videophile, I've got a pretty good grasp on the idiosyncrasies but Average Joe is going to be frustrated. The entire system is no where near as clear cut as Apple's business model.

Comment

Working...
                                X