Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default DVDs from an out of business rental store

So here's the scenario. My local video rental store went out of business some time ago and they were getting rid of all their stock, including their rental versions of their movies.

Back story aside, will rental versions of the movie work on disk to digital if the company who originally owned them went under? I think i already know the answer but it never hurts to ask right?

Default Re: DVDs from an out of business rental store

You have a valid, legal copy of the movie, IMO it certainly should work.
    [command INSERTWITTYQUIP failed: insufficient wit]

does the disc itself anywhere on it have the video stores name on it... If not how they gonna know it came from a video store....

let me guess is it

Hollywood Video

Video Warehouse

Video Update

?

Hollywood video. and the case has the company name on it and the disk has "RENTAL" on the disk image. the same "rental" mark is on the case as well

Quote Originally Posted by Kreature View Post
    Hollywood video. and the case has the company name on it and the disk has "RENTAL" on the disk image. the same "rental" mark is on the case as well

hmmm all I can say is maybe take in and see worst they can say is no..... Just explain that from Hollywood Video which went out of business....

How is this any different than going to different garage sales buying some DVDs and then taking them in to load into your account ? Kind of what I was planning on doing once people start having them.

Quote Originally Posted by ydkjman View Post
    How is this any different than going to different garage sales buying some DVDs and then taking them in to load into your account ? Kind of what I was planning on doing once people start having them.
    I can point out one obvious way a rental disc is different, if owned rental discs are accepted, there is no way to prevent someone from renting a disc, taking it to Wal-Mart and doing the disc to digital conversion. I don't know whether or not rental discs are acceptable and I understand it is just one way of many this service can be abused, another is borrowing discs from your neighbor.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard View Post
    I can point out one obvious way a rental disc is different, if owned rental discs are accepted, there is no way to prevent someone from renting a disc, taking it to Wal-Mart and doing the disc to digital conversion. I don't know whether or not rental discs are acceptable and I understand it is just one way of many this service can be abused, another is borrowing discs from your neighbor.
    There's also no way for Walmart to tell the difference between a rental disc and a disc bought from a rental place, or a disc you bought rather than borrowed from your neighbor. They aren't in the business of researching the title or provenance of a disc. If it's not stamped, they should sell you the D2D rights and stamp it. If you borrow or rent a disc and return it with a stamp, that's between you and the actual owner.
    [command INSERTWITTYQUIP failed: insufficient wit]

Quote Originally Posted by MaxH View Post
    There's also no way for Walmart to tell the difference between a rental disc and a disc bought from a rental place...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kreature View Post
    The OP clearly states it IS stamped.

has it been awhile since you rented? Even blu ray disks are made especially for the rental market have non skipable previews based on the contract with the rental company versus the versions you buy at the store usually do not.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxH View Post
    There's also no way for Walmart to tell the difference
    between a rental disc and a disc bought from a rental place, or a disc you bought rather than borrowed from your neighbor. They aren't in the business of researching the title or provenance of a disc. If it's not stamped, they should sell you the D2D rights and stamp it. If you borrow or rent a disc and return it with a stamp, that's between you and the actual owner.

Thread Information