Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

HDX movies having Dolby Stereo Audio ?!!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HDX movies having Dolby Stereo Audio ?!!?

I have opened a ticket to with support regarding all the movies I found above (minus Fifth Element since that was already submitted according to previous update)

Comment

Originally posted by lstanley View Post
      I agree, I don't think a title should be classified as HDX without a minimum 5.1 sound.
      It's a shame the number of popular titles that only have 2.0 stereo.
      I see HDX as referring to the level of video quality so I have to disagree.

SD = 480p
      HD = 720p
      HDX = 1080p

Comment

Originally posted by rdodolak View Post
        I see HDX as referring to the level of video quality so I have to disagree.

SD = 480p
        HD = 720p
        HDX = 1080p
        Yep - video resolution doesn't have much to do with audio tracks. While I am in complete agreement that where available movies (even SD) should have the 5.1 soundtrack (and I also try to report movies that don't when I see them), discrete digital sound only started in 1992 (Batman Returns, for the movie trivia buffs ). Before that matrix encoding (eg. Dolby Surround, Dolby Pro Logic) was used for surround in theaters (encoding multiple channels in the stereo analog signal).

So, even when the DVD/BD is 5.1 it doesn't mean you are really getting anything more than the 2.0 matrix encoding has. Some movies before that time have had the audio remastered from multichannel sources, some just converted to 5.1 from the matrix encoding, and many older movies (the majority before the late 70's) were probably just stereo anyway.

Most of the more recent movies that are marked "2.0" are in fact Dolby Pro Logic encoded - so they are not discrete 5.1 (and where possible I hope will eventually be re-encoded, as I said) but they are most definitely surround, and all surround receivers should be able to process them.

Comment

I understand with HDX the only guarantee you're getting is 1080p video. But on the Vudu front page HDX is advertised as top picture AND sound.

"VUDU delivers a cinema-like experience at home with HDX, featuring stunning 1080p True Digital video and rich Dolby Digital Plus 7.1 surround sound."

There's no asterix there saying some movies may have lesser sound. It just would be nice if sound was given the same high standards as video. I appreciate the efforts Vudu is taking to improve the modern movies that have a 2.0 track.

Comment

Originally posted by isu4me View Post
            I decided to check my titles that I've redeemed and found a large quantity that have HDX available but only 2.0 sound. In my library I have the following (some have already been mentioned)
            <SNIP>
            For me, that's almost 20% of my library that has worse audio then you find on most DVD's. I certainly hope this is something that VUDU is working on fixing.
            I too was surprised that about 20% of my collection was stereo only, and some make no sense (such as Deathly Hallows Part I is DD 5.1 but Part II is Stereo?).

Here's my list:
            1. 300
            2. Austin Powers
            3. The Aviator (DD+ Stereo)
            4. Batman Begins
            5. Blow
            6. Black Hawk Down
            7. Cast Away
            8. Die Hard
            9. Die Hard with a Vengence
            10. Elf
            11. Full Metal Jacket
            12. The Godfather
            13. The Godfather Part II
            14. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
            15. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (DD+ Stereo)
            16. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer?s Stone
            17. Independence Day
            18. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
            19. Matchstick Men
            20. The Matrix
            21. The Matrix Reloaded
            22. The Matrix Revolutions
            23. Mission: Impossible 3
            24. National Lampoon?s Christmas Vacation
            25. Pay it Forward
            26. Purple Rain
            27. Reservoir Dogs
            28. The Shawshank Redemption
            29. Training Day
            30. Troy (Theatrical)
            31. X2: X-Men United

Comment

I have had a ticket (#120804-000059) open (closed by Vudu but should be open) since 8/4/12 about when I first saw this issue. There are several movies that are stereo only in HDX but 5.1 in HD. I'm sure there are many more now but I haven't spent the time looking to see which ones they are since my list is so large it would take some time.

674 HDX
              2 HD
              2 SD

Comment

Originally posted by lujan View Post
                I have had a ticket (#120804-000059) open (closed by Vudu but should be open) since 8/4/12 about when I first saw this issue. There are several movies that are stereo only in HDX but 5.1 in HD. I'm sure there are many more now but I haven't spent the time looking to see which ones they are since my list is so large it would take some time.

674 HDX
                2 HD
                2 SD
                Older thread?

I've much of the same issues. I've been UV registering and discovered the same issues... off the top of my head:

-The American President (As previously mentioned -so I bough the blu-ray).

-Blackhawk Down (As previously mentioned, and unforgivable - so I bought the blu-ray).

-The Patriot (As previously mentioned, and unforgivable - so I bought the blu-ray; I bought the extended edition, so I'll convert that one on my next batch. We'll see how that version is encoded).

-Wedding Planner (I think? - I will double check, but originally encoded with 5.1)

-Before Sunrise and Before Sunset (which is baloney, considering the 3rd in the series, Before Midnight, is not UV, and I first had to buy that one outright, then individually convert Sunset, then Sunrise, each in inverse order to have them chronologically ordered in the library. I double-checked with my DVD - yep DVD has 5.1).

-Boondock Saints (What they heck! Picture of course is great, but what a fail. Additionally, Boondock Saints II is 5.1, which I registered first).

I'll post a complete list here when I get home, but it will mean a lot of individual tickets.

Brent.

Comment

It absolutely amazes me that The Matrix Trilogy is still in stereo even after all these years and multiple requests but here we are still dealing with Stereo.

Comment

Working...
                  X