Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28

Thread: Cost of Vudu

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1

    Default Cost of Vudu

    I am pleased with the streaming quality of Vudu in HDX but I feel the cost is way too high. I can rent a Blu Ray disk at Red Box or a BlockBuster kiosk within a mile of my home and they are only $1.50 for the day I rent it and until 9PM the next night.
    Admittedly, Vudu is rather neat in that it streams the movie and has a wider selection than is immediately available but $5.99 is way too high. I have a Walmart within 2 miles where can buy the BluRay for $10 and if they don't have it, Best Buy (also within 2 miles) will meet their price.
    Netflix is $8 monthly for unlimited movies some of which are HD.
    How can Vudu compete except in a niche market?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    6

    Default Re: Cost of Vudu

    I just downloaded the app to my PS3 and watched my free movie a couple of days ago. I too am just blown away at the high cost of HDX rentals in the face of readily available competition. Not only are these movies available for rental from a nearby Redbox or Blockbuster rental kiosk on Blu-Ray for only $1.50 per day, but there are coupon codes which are regularly released that will knock $1.00 off a BD rental, or give me a free SD rental. Toss Netflix streaming into the mix and I just can't justify ever using the service again unless I get a promo code tossed at me from WalMart with another purchase. Convenience, resolution, and availability are nice, and should fetch some sort of a premium, but a $4.50 premium? Not in this economy. $1.50-2.99 for an HDX rental would be about right, with older movies that aren't streaming in HD from Netflix at the low end of the scale, and new releases only at the upper end. This type of pricing would get me to use Vudu much more often, but at the current price points? Not likely.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,745

    Default Re: Cost of Vudu

    With VUDU you don't have to drive to the Redbox or Blockbuster kisok or return the disc. At .56 a mile for expense reinbursment when using a car, to drive to the kisok it would come to about 2.35 to make the trip there and back twice.
    Go do that VUDU that you do so well! - Headley Lemarr, Blazing Saddles

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    6

    Default Re: Cost of Vudu

    Quote Originally Posted by RonV View Post
    With VUDU you don't have to drive to the Redbox or Blockbuster kisok or return the disc. At .56 a mile for expense reinbursment when using a car, to drive to the kisok it would come to about 2.35 to make the trip there and back twice.
    Where do you live? There are three Red Box Kiosks that are about a 5 minute drive from my house (2 different directions), and a Blockbuster Kiosk about 2 minutes from my house. That of course doesn't count the fact that I have to drive past 2 of the Red Boxes and the Blockbuster on my way home. Oh, and I live out in the country! For me to use $2.56 in gas to get a movie, I'd have to drive several cities over... Seriously, these kiosks are popping up EVERYWHERE! From drugstores, to gas stations, to grocery stores, to WalMart, etc. Besides, I can return those discs at ANY kiosk location, so I can easily drop it off without ever going out of my way and wasting gas. In other words, I will ALWAYS drive past one of these kiosks when I am out and about for other needed purposes, and I'll ALWAYS drive past one the next day to return it. Again, I'll never actually go out of my way to rent or return a movie. Your argument doesn't hold water. Especially not for a $4.50 upcharge.

    Vudu needs to revisit their pricing scheme. It's out of touch with todays economy.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Cost of Vudu

    Quote Originally Posted by Wineaux View Post
    I just downloaded the app to my PS3 and watched my free movie a couple of days ago. I too am just blown away at the high cost of HDX rentals in the face of readily available competition. Not only are these movies available for rental from a nearby Redbox or Blockbuster rental kiosk on Blu-Ray for only $1.50 per day, but there are coupon codes which are regularly released that will knock $1.00 off a BD rental, or give me a free SD rental. Toss Netflix streaming into the mix and I just can't justify ever using the service again unless I get a promo code tossed at me from WalMart with another purchase. Convenience, resolution, and availability are nice, and should fetch some sort of a premium, but a $4.50 premium? Not in this economy. $1.50-2.99 for an HDX rental would be about right, with older movies that aren't streaming in HD from Netflix at the low end of the scale, and new releases only at the upper end. This type of pricing would get me to use Vudu much more often, but at the current price points? Not likely.

    You are comparing apples to oranges. VUDU needs to be compared with other VOD services like comcast, Amazon VOD, Xbox Live, PSN, DirectTV, FiOS VOD etc..

    All their prices are similar to what VUDU charges. Only VUDU also has a 720P tier for a dollar less and their HDX 1080P content has better Audio and video quality than what everyone else offers.

    Plus I would say you might be slightly out of touch if you think you can get the thousands of titles that VUDU offers instantly by stream from a Kiosk. I have dozen of Redbox Kiosks that I pass by on my way to work in this area. But each RedBox unit only has around twenty BD titles in it. Even if you add up the DVD titles it still pales in comaprison to what you can get instantly from VUDU.
    But again comparing renting a disc and streaming VOD is like comapring apples to oranges. They are two completely different things.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1

    Default Re: Cost of Vudu

    Quote Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
    You are comparing apples to oranges. VUDU needs to be compared with other VOD services like comcast, Amazon VOD, Xbox Live, PSN, DirectTV, FiOS VOD etc..
    TLDR; version:
    You can say apples and oranges all you want, but consumers have a lot of other movie watching options that are more appealing than Vudu due to Vudu's prices.

    Long version:
    I find a couple problems with your arguments:
    1. You can't tell customers how they should be comparing the prices. These people have just stated they will not use the service at the price it is at now. They probably would refuse to use all the other services you want them to compare to as well at these prices. Bottom line, Vudu doesn't get sales.

    2. It may be apples and oranges to you, but they are both fruits and there is a very low switching cost. You are making a wrong assumption that any rational person is thinking "I want to watch this movie. Let me carefully compare apples to apples while making this entertainment decision.". In reality the average consumer decision pattern when considering to rent a Vudu movie is this:

    - Is it available via Netflix streaming or disc yet (which I already am subscribed to since I get unlimited streaming and about 8 discs/month for $9)?
    - Is it available at the local Redbox?
    - Is it available at another kiosk for cheap (like Blockbuster kiosk)?
    - Can I wait the one month or less it takes for it to become available at any of these locations?
    - Should I just buy it on Blu-ray at Walmart for $13 more?
    - etc, etc, etc
    Sadly for Vudu, one of these almost always comes to Yes before they decide to splurge on the Vudu rental (which is 100% of the time for me).

    Now I imagine that Vudu has snagged some sales from lazy, wealthy people, but it is a tiny market that will go for this. Getting an app on every device isn't going to help that either. If Netflix wasn't also included on the box, I'll bet the device wouldn't get a sale.

    Anyway, sorry for the rant. I just got a blu-ray player with the Vudu app and thought it was pretty cool until I realized the prices were along the lines of Blockbuster era rather than the modern Redbox/Netflix era. I mean come on, they've got $2 for 2 nights? Who wants 2 nights? Just offer it for $1 for 1 full viewing already. This multi-night rental for higher price is a scam of the old era.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    153

    Default Re: Cost of Vudu

    I think part of the issue was how studios charge for digital delivery vs. a more physical media like DVD or blu ray. That's why Vudu pricing is similar to VOD pricing from a cable provider rather than what Netflix, redbox, et. al. can charge for discs.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    6

    Default Re: Cost of Vudu

    Quote Originally Posted by raaurora View Post
    I think part of the issue was how studios charge for digital delivery vs. a more physical media like DVD or blu ray. That's why Vudu pricing is similar to VOD pricing from a cable provider rather than what Netflix, redbox, et. al. can charge for discs.
    Except Netflix can offer that same digital delivery for $9.00 per month for unlimited streaming. So this argument barely holds water. Again, I don't have an issue with charging a premium for HDX content, but a $4.50 premium is outrageous!

    Amazon VOD isn't an available app on either my PS3 or Samsung BD player, so it's not even a player in the grand scheme of things. uVerse has VOD from all of the movie channels that I subscribe to in HD at no additional charge, and I can get HD pay-per-view for less than Vudu. Sure, it may not be quite as nice as Vudu, but it's still 1080p with 5.1 Dolby. It's good enough. Especially with the price differential.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    153

    Default Re: Cost of Vudu

    Quote Originally Posted by Wineaux View Post
    Except Netflix can offer that same digital delivery for $9.00 per month for unlimited streaming. So this argument barely holds water. Again, I don't have an issue with charging a premium for HDX content, but a $4.50 premium is outrageous!
    Lighten up Francis.

    I was not arguing with anyone, I'm just saying the studio's set different pricing controls based on delivery...that is the way it is. I totally agree that it is unfair to allow NetFlix, Blockbuster, et. al. around that because they also rent the movies via physical disc media. In my mind that is unfair competition.

    Maybe you should just go rent from Redbox.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    6

    Default Re: Cost of Vudu

    If a business doesn't know that something is broken, then they can't fix it. As I stated in my first post, unless I get freebie rental coupons, or find Vudu has special pricing going on, that I'll most likely not use the Vudu service anymore. Letting Vudu know that they are losing me as a potential customer is important for them to know, as the formula is that basically every vocal disgruntled customer speaks for 100 others. There is a lot I like about Vudu, but I can't justify the costs. So if my speaking out here helps get those costs down, then it's a win. My fingers are crossed.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Get Social Visit VUDU on Youtube