Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Cost of Vudu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cost of Vudu

I am pleased with the streaming quality of Vudu in HDX but I feel the cost is way too high. I can rent a Blu Ray disk at Red Box or a BlockBuster kiosk within a mile of my home and they are only $1.50 for the day I rent it and until 9PM the next night.
    Admittedly, Vudu is rather neat in that it streams the movie and has a wider selection than is immediately available but $5.99 is way too high. I have a Walmart within 2 miles where can buy the BluRay for $10 and if they don't have it, Best Buy (also within 2 miles) will meet their price.
    Netflix is $8 monthly for unlimited movies some of which are HD.
    How can Vudu compete except in a niche market?

Re: Cost of Vudu

I just downloaded the app to my PS3 and watched my free movie a couple of days ago. I too am just blown away at the high cost of HDX rentals in the face of readily available competition. Not only are these movies available for rental from a nearby Redbox or Blockbuster rental kiosk on Blu-Ray for only $1.50 per day, but there are coupon codes which are regularly released that will knock $1.00 off a BD rental, or give me a free SD rental. Toss Netflix streaming into the mix and I just can't justify ever using the service again unless I get a promo code tossed at me from WalMart with another purchase. Convenience, resolution, and availability are nice, and should fetch some sort of a premium, but a $4.50 premium? Not in this economy. $1.50-2.99 for an HDX rental would be about right, with older movies that aren't streaming in HD from Netflix at the low end of the scale, and new releases only at the upper end. This type of pricing would get me to use Vudu much more often, but at the current price points? Not likely.

Comment

With VUDU you don't have to drive to the Redbox or Blockbuster kisok or return the disc. At .56 a mile for expense reinbursment when using a car, to drive to the kisok it would come to about 2.35 to make the trip there and back twice.

Comment

Originally posted by RonV View Post
        With VUDU you don't have to drive to the Redbox or Blockbuster kisok or return the disc. At .56 a mile for expense reinbursment when using a car, to drive to the kisok it would come to about 2.35 to make the trip there and back twice.
        Where do you live? There are three Red Box Kiosks that are about a 5 minute drive from my house (2 different directions), and a Blockbuster Kiosk about 2 minutes from my house. That of course doesn't count the fact that I have to drive past 2 of the Red Boxes and the Blockbuster on my way home. Oh, and I live out in the country! For me to use $2.56 in gas to get a movie, I'd have to drive several cities over... Seriously, these kiosks are popping up EVERYWHERE! From drugstores, to gas stations, to grocery stores, to WalMart, etc. Besides, I can return those discs at ANY kiosk location, so I can easily drop it off without ever going out of my way and wasting gas. In other words, I will ALWAYS drive past one of these kiosks when I am out and about for other needed purposes, and I'll ALWAYS drive past one the next day to return it. Again, I'll never actually go out of my way to rent or return a movie. Your argument doesn't hold water. Especially not for a $4.50 upcharge.

Vudu needs to revisit their pricing scheme. It's out of touch with todays economy.

Comment

Originally posted by Wineaux View Post
          I just downloaded the app to my PS3 and watched my free movie a couple of days ago. I too am just blown away at the high cost of HDX rentals in the face of readily available competition. Not only are these movies available for rental from a nearby Redbox or Blockbuster rental kiosk on Blu-Ray for only $1.50 per day, but there are coupon codes which are regularly released that will knock $1.00 off a BD rental, or give me a free SD rental. Toss Netflix streaming into the mix and I just can't justify ever using the service again unless I get a promo code tossed at me from WalMart with another purchase. Convenience, resolution, and availability are nice, and should fetch some sort of a premium, but a $4.50 premium? Not in this economy. $1.50-2.99 for an HDX rental would be about right, with older movies that aren't streaming in HD from Netflix at the low end of the scale, and new releases only at the upper end. This type of pricing would get me to use Vudu much more often, but at the current price points? Not likely.

You are comparing apples to oranges. VUDU needs to be compared with other VOD services like comcast, Amazon VOD, Xbox Live, PSN, DirectTV, FiOS VOD etc..

All their prices are similar to what VUDU charges. Only VUDU also has a 720P tier for a dollar less and their HDX 1080P content has better Audio and video quality than what everyone else offers.

Plus I would say you might be slightly out of touch if you think you can get the thousands of titles that VUDU offers instantly by stream from a Kiosk. I have dozen of Redbox Kiosks that I pass by on my way to work in this area. But each RedBox unit only has around twenty BD titles in it. Even if you add up the DVD titles it still pales in comaprison to what you can get instantly from VUDU.
          But again comparing renting a disc and streaming VOD is like comapring apples to oranges. They are two completely different things.

Comment

Originally posted by aaronwt View Post
            You are comparing apples to oranges. VUDU needs to be compared with other VOD services like comcast, Amazon VOD, Xbox Live, PSN, DirectTV, FiOS VOD etc..
            TLDR; version:
            You can say apples and oranges all you want, but consumers have a lot of other movie watching options that are more appealing than Vudu due to Vudu's prices.

Long version:
            I find a couple problems with your arguments:
            1. You can't tell customers how they should be comparing the prices. These people have just stated they will not use the service at the price it is at now. They probably would refuse to use all the other services you want them to compare to as well at these prices. Bottom line, Vudu doesn't get sales.

2. It may be apples and oranges to you, but they are both fruits and there is a very low switching cost. You are making a wrong assumption that any rational person is thinking "I want to watch this movie. Let me carefully compare apples to apples while making this entertainment decision.". In reality the average consumer decision pattern when considering to rent a Vudu movie is this:

- Is it available via Netflix streaming or disc yet (which I already am subscribed to since I get unlimited streaming and about 8 discs/month for $9)?
            - Is it available at the local Redbox?
            - Is it available at another kiosk for cheap (like Blockbuster kiosk)?
            - Can I wait the one month or less it takes for it to become available at any of these locations?
            - Should I just buy it on Blu-ray at Walmart for $13 more?
            - etc, etc, etc
            Sadly for Vudu, one of these almost always comes to Yes before they decide to splurge on the Vudu rental (which is 100% of the time for me).

Now I imagine that Vudu has snagged some sales from lazy, wealthy people, but it is a tiny market that will go for this. Getting an app on every device isn't going to help that either. If Netflix wasn't also included on the box, I'll bet the device wouldn't get a sale.

Anyway, sorry for the rant. I just got a blu-ray player with the Vudu app and thought it was pretty cool until I realized the prices were along the lines of Blockbuster era rather than the modern Redbox/Netflix era. I mean come on, they've got $2 for 2 nights? Who wants 2 nights? Just offer it for $1 for 1 full viewing already. This multi-night rental for higher price is a scam of the old era.

Comment

I think part of the issue was how studios charge for digital delivery vs. a more physical media like DVD or blu ray. That's why Vudu pricing is similar to VOD pricing from a cable provider rather than what Netflix, redbox, et. al. can charge for discs.

Comment

Originally posted by raaurora View Post
                I think part of the issue was how studios charge for digital delivery vs. a more physical media like DVD or blu ray. That's why Vudu pricing is similar to VOD pricing from a cable provider rather than what Netflix, redbox, et. al. can charge for discs.
                Except Netflix can offer that same digital delivery for $9.00 per month for unlimited streaming. So this argument barely holds water. Again, I don't have an issue with charging a premium for HDX content, but a $4.50 premium is outrageous!

Amazon VOD isn't an available app on either my PS3 or Samsung BD player, so it's not even a player in the grand scheme of things. uVerse has VOD from all of the movie channels that I subscribe to in HD at no additional charge, and I can get HD pay-per-view for less than Vudu. Sure, it may not be quite as nice as Vudu, but it's still 1080p with 5.1 Dolby. It's good enough. Especially with the price differential.

Comment

Originally posted by Wineaux View Post
                  Except Netflix can offer that same digital delivery for $9.00 per month for unlimited streaming. So this argument barely holds water. Again, I don't have an issue with charging a premium for HDX content, but a $4.50 premium is outrageous!
                  Lighten up Francis.

I was not arguing with anyone, I'm just saying the studio's set different pricing controls based on delivery...that is the way it is. I totally agree that it is unfair to allow NetFlix, Blockbuster, et. al. around that because they also rent the movies via physical disc media. In my mind that is unfair competition.

Maybe you should just go rent from Redbox.

Comment

If a business doesn't know that something is broken, then they can't fix it. As I stated in my first post, unless I get freebie rental coupons, or find Vudu has special pricing going on, that I'll most likely not use the Vudu service anymore. Letting Vudu know that they are losing me as a potential customer is important for them to know, as the formula is that basically every vocal disgruntled customer speaks for 100 others. There is a lot I like about Vudu, but I can't justify the costs. So if my speaking out here helps get those costs down, then it's a win. My fingers are crossed.

Comment

Not to sound patronizing, but if you don't like what VUDU charges for it's films, you have other choices.....IMO, let the free market determine who survives in the Netflix subscription type services as well as the VOD/electronic sell-though space......If a business can't compete, guess what, they go out of business.....

Yes, VUDU prices seem high compared to the outlets that were mentioned, but you don't get VUDU-type quality from any other streaming service, maybe ZUNE is an exception, but they are a non-factor to me....There may be costs beyond their control, and they are comparable to cable, Amazon, satellite pricing.....Are you also going to THEM to ask for a lowering of their VOD pricing?

Over the years, VUDU has introduced very good pricing during their sales, and come up with other offerings from time to time..... I hope you don't drop the service, but if you find something cheaper, more power to ya.....I think the powers that be know full well what the competition is and I feel they are up to meeting the challenge..They have been innovative, who else streams 3D movies?

Comment

Originally posted by dworlton View Post
                        TLDR; version:
                        You can say apples and oranges all you want, but consumers have a lot of other movie watching options that are more appealing than Vudu due to Vudu's prices.

Long version:
                        I find a couple problems with your arguments:
                        1. You can't tell customers how they should be comparing the prices. These people have just stated they will not use the service at the price it is at now. They probably would refuse to use all the other services you want them to compare to as well at these prices. Bottom line, Vudu doesn't get sales.

2. It may be apples and oranges to you, but they are both fruits and there is a very low switching cost. You are making a wrong assumption that any rational person is thinking "I want to watch this movie. Let me carefully compare apples to apples while making this entertainment decision.". In reality the average consumer decision pattern when considering to rent a Vudu movie is this:

- Is it available via Netflix streaming or disc yet (which I already am subscribed to since I get unlimited streaming and about 8 discs/month for $9)?
                        - Is it available at the local Redbox?
                        - Is it available at another kiosk for cheap (like Blockbuster kiosk)?
                        - Can I wait the one month or less it takes for it to become available at any of these locations?
                        - Should I just buy it on Blu-ray at Walmart for $13 more?
                        - etc, etc, etc
                        Sadly for Vudu, one of these almost always comes to Yes before they decide to splurge on the Vudu rental (which is 100% of the time for me).

Now I imagine that Vudu has snagged some sales from lazy, wealthy people, but it is a tiny market that will go for this. Getting an app on every device isn't going to help that either. If Netflix wasn't also included on the box, I'll bet the device wouldn't get a sale.

Anyway, sorry for the rant. I just got a blu-ray player with the Vudu app and thought it was pretty cool until I realized the prices were along the lines of Blockbuster era rather than the modern Redbox/Netflix era. I mean come on, they've got $2 for 2 nights? Who wants 2 nights? Just offer it for $1 for 1 full viewing already. This multi-night rental for higher price is a scam of the old era.
                        Again VUDU streaming pricing is similar to everyone else. Between $4 and $6 for HD. This nothing new. I've been using VUDU for over three years and Netflix for over twelve years.

Netflix does not have new movies for streaming it's typically older content. I view all these services as complimenting each other. Redbox can't replace, Netflix which can't replace VUDU. i use all three. Plus Amazon VOD, Xbox Live, PSN.

Price is not the only thing that matters either. If it was then there is no point in watching HD content since it's cheaper to watch the SD content whether from a disc or streaming.

Comment

ok; can't keep my mouth shut, sigh. This thread grabs at me, I'm a "typical" new customer, and Vudu is on the bleeding edge of never seeing a nickel from me. Now don't get me totally wrong, this is constructive criticism, this could be fixed, maybe.

I got vudu by accident, it is offered as part of a Mits tv purchase. Comes as a "feature" when you purchase, it's in the firmware I guess.

I logged on, did everything except post my CC, don't think that's gonna happen. I'm almost completely frustrated by the experience, heck, the reason I'm on this forum is because I'm trying to find some tips and tricks,,,, hahahah,,, don't see that listed as a topic anyplace either.

Why? First off, I have a reasonably decent cable service package, phone, tv, internet. I have yet to try one of Charter's VOD selections. Too Expensive! Now apply that to Vudu,,, same answer. Sorry, no if's and's or but's, $6 a pop is just too darned much. We'll go to the theater, spend another $6 and get the full theater experience first. (yep, matinee's are $4 to $7, stadium seating, full digital, the whole bit at a very nice Rave Theater),,, and,,, we fired Blockbuster and moved to Netflix 3 years ago,,,,, now all you can see for $10 a month is a true bargain, and look at the foreign film content, priceless,,, and if you're a Doctor Who nut, where else can you get the new series??? and Torchwood! Not Vudu,, unless somebody can prove me wrong. Go ahead, I'd love to be wrong on this one, Netflix doesn't have series 5 posted in the streaming section yet. (they do have it in the mail order channel)

Second off, the user interface of Vudu just TOTALLY SUCKS!! Again sorry if I hurt somebodies feelings, just being honest here. Go try and find a movie on Netflix, now try to find the same one on Vudu, I mean, it's excruciating!!! Yeah, I need to learn how to use it,,,,, hahahahaha,,,, why? It should be intuitive!!! what the heck is a "collection"? Just looks like another movie to me. How the heck do you find the supposed "free" stuff? How come I can't sort by cost (?), since cost is truly a factor here. The ONLY thing I have found that I like so far is the speed test, that's cool,,,,, hehe,,,, my Charter i-net pegs the meter,,, full 1080p here I come,,, assuming I'm ever going to purchase an overpriced movie. Before I became unemployed in the "great recession" I was an engineer in the IT service industry, along with other things we designed web sites, first priority, it MUST BE INTUITIVE, virtually nobody will take the time to LEARN how to use it. If you can't pass the 20 second test, you've got a LOUSY web site. (a user should be able to go to a page, and figure out how to get what they want within 20 seconds, or you've lost them, that's just reality in this day and age.)

So, that's my $.02, I'm not a troll or anything, I'd just like to see a potentially decent service make itself viable. As it is, I don't think it is going anywhere. In this marketplace, if you are not willing to do the work to attract a customer base, you aren't going to have one. Doesn't matter if it's better, technically, it HAS to be customer acceptable. Remember the Beta-max? A company that is draconian and arrogant is not going to make it.

Flamers,,,, flame ON!

cheers
                          cjack

Comment

as to above post, all I have to say is WOW! It certainly speaks for itself....

Comment

I want free HDX. On all new movies. Oh, and on movies still in the theater too. And I don't want to have to use the UI to find it...I want to have it start streaming as soon as I concentrate on the name of the title.

Comment

Working...
                              X